Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

An Early Tamiya Sherman

Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 AM
modelbob71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Early Tamiya Sherman

After reading "So, what exactly is a Sherman" I got curious and dug out my old Tamiya Sherman that I built
back in the '70s. The date I penciled inside said 1976. I found the instructions (all in Japanese) and the cover
said kit RT1601. This tank has 2 motors and the clutch system. I put in the reciever batteries, pluged in a
fresh 7.2 battery, fired her up and she still runs. Not real fast, but she manuvers pretty well considering she's
over 35 years old! She only goes one speed, no turret movement, no sound, and of course no smoke.
Since she has 2 motors, would it be feasible to remove the clutch system and hook up an RX18 to get
proportional speed. With an HL turret motor I could get turret rotation at least. I might even get HL's
crappy sound with a speaker and volume pot. I don't want to spend a lot of money and I have all the
parts. Will the RX18 work, is it worth doing, what do you think? Suggestions, advice welcome.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Rustytrax

Just get a Taigen board. Or better yet I'll give an HL rx-18 but you'll need to buy a DBC (which I have an extra). This way you get proper elevation control compared to the taigen and you'll gain the ability to shoot Tamiya compatible IR. Come to Danville!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by modelbob71
After reading "So, what exactly is a Sherman" I got curious and dug out my old Tamiya Sherman that I built
back in the '70s. The date I penciled inside said 1976. I found the instructions (all in Japanese) and the cover
said kit RT1601. This tank has 2 motors and the clutch system. I put in the reciever batteries, pluged in a
fresh 7.2 battery, fired her up and she still runs. Not real fast, but she manuvers pretty well considering she's
over 35 years old! She only goes one speed, no turret movement, no sound, and of course no smoke.
Since she has 2 motors, would it be feasible to remove the clutch system and hook up an RX18 to get
proportional speed. With an HL turret motor I could get turret rotation at least. I might even get HL's
crappy sound with a speaker and volume pot. I don't want to spend a lot of money and I have all the
parts. Will the RX18 work, is it worth doing, what do you think? Suggestions, advice welcome.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...4&d=1408770764
Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 PM
modelbob71

Thanks Tanque,
That is exactly what I have in my 1976 Tamiya Sherman. I hooked up the HL RX18 and she works!
Variable speed, engine startup sound, MG, etc. Still have to get the turret turning but soon I'll
have a working M4A3E8.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

modelbob71 I think you'll find that old gearbox used as a twin setup has a lot of torque and it is very sturdy. I remain a big fan of these,
there's part of me that doesn't like throwing things away and if they can be re tasked so much the better.

I've run my original Sherman a lot using the clutch mechanism since I first bought it. Over the years it's been the butt of any number of jokes
at local club events. It's the Timex of tank models. I haven't the heart to upgrade it; I just leave it as is although I did put in a turret drive of my own doing.

The plastic caps split now and then or fall off. I may one day rework the running gear just to prevent that. It's slow speed makes it a joy to drive through
obstacle courses and village settings. It's a 'noncombatant' tank I just enjoy driving....very nearly 40 years of driving -not a bad return on the $99 it cost
new when I got it. That's what they sold for.

Jerry
Old 08-28-2014, 05:42 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by modelbob71
Thanks Tanque,
That is exactly what I have in my 1976 Tamiya Sherman. I hooked up the HL RX18 and she works!
Variable speed, engine startup sound, MG, etc. Still have to get the turret turning but soon I'll
have a working M4A3E8.
The RX18 is an incredible value for $25. I think they would work great in Model PT boats or if someone wanted to RC a 1/200 scale warship. Hooking up a DBC3 and TBS you could have Naval sounds and sirens added to your model