Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I will add my 2 cents....if it is worth that much. Although it does go far in the Philippines these days apparently.

I don't know where you are located, but I would suggest you attend a RC tank event first (Many clubs are here on RCU) and try a few tanks to see what strikes you fancy. If you just want to drive a tank around the back yard and have fun with squirrel and cats then a HL or Taigen BB tank may be enough. If you would like to try IR tank battle then a Tamiya based tank is best. Clark Mako DBU & ElMod are also available. Price reliability and resale all vary greatly. Many fine tankers have chimed in here and much solid advice provided. In a few weeks dozens of us will be gathering in Danville, VA at the AAF Tank Mus for 3 days and 2 night of IR tank battle. If you can get there I will provide you with a tank to battle with and you can see all that you could want there. Canada UK, Singapore, Europe..and more.... all have RC tank Clubs. Is you are in the northeastern US NEAD is nearby and we will be at Danville and having our own event within the next few weeks.

I hope we aren't making your head spin...but we just want you to be happy in the hobby that we enjoy so much sharing with others. Bob, NEAD CO
    Join us at NEAD: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/queenspanzergroup/
    He who ends up with the most toys wins!!!

@johnnymike

my 2 cents...

as a new comer to the hobby (started this winter, now have 6 tanks), I have had the most fun/best experience with the Taigen Metal Late Tiger 1 (Airsoft and upgraded with new motors/steel gears/higher density battery). I mostly beat around my property, and this tank drivers well, goes almost anywhere (one day I will post my vids going through brush/forest/bogs), has yet to break down, and its fun to shoot BB's at trees, targets, cans, wife, etc....

The tank is heavy (20 lbs) and really feels like a tank. I have 3 plastic and 3 metal, and I do prefer the weight and feel of the metals tanks.

The Tiger looks and runs great right out of the box, but there are many areas for mods, which was/is good for me as a newbie, as I can mess around with it on the bench for an hour or two and also drive it (not ready yet for a long build time). It is very easy to take apart and put back together.

You said you liked Russian tanks, but this Tiger I is a greater one to enter the hobby with, as it will not disappoint. And with Taigen, you get great support, I have had issues with 2 others and Erik fixed me up really quick with parts and technical support.

Best of luck buds!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1205.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	2026865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1213.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	4.83 MB 
ID:	2026866

I am repeating myself but continued thanks to all for your knolwladgable information. It is a lot to digest however this is what I enjoy doing. It will probably take me a while to make a decision on what I will end up with but now I feel I have the tools to do so.

I am starting to decide what tank I would like to have and the information I have received from this forum has been very insightful and help full
    I may be crazy but one feature I see still has me wondering about authenticity. That is the speed. It still seems to me like all the 1/16 tanks operate too fast. Am I nuts that I feel this way and no one else does. I have a fair amount of N scale European trains and the DCD controllers available now can start, stop and operate engines at very realistic speeds and speed changes are very realistic. Completely accuracy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymike View Post
    I am starting to decide what tank I would like to have and the information I have received from this forum has been very insightful and help full
    I may be crazy but one feature I see still has me wondering about authenticity. That is the speed. It still seems to me like all the 1/16 tanks operate too fast. Am I nuts that I feel this way and no one else does. I have a fair amount of N scale European trains and the DCD controllers available now can start, stop and operate engines at very realistic speeds and speed changes are very realistic. Completely accuracy.
    It's not crazy, nor is it overlooked.

You can 'govern' your speed in a few ways, from gearboxes to simply setting travel limits on your transmitter.

Other options for accuracy are adding the 'Turnigy chip' which ids a simple servo speed controller that you can customize to fit your needs. What it does is allow you to program in momentum, so your tank won't jump out with the throttle or stop on a dime. It will start up slowly and keep rolling after throttle is stopped.

The reason why you don't see a lot of info about it is it is a lot harder to drive that way (I slam into things) and a distinct disadvantage in battling. If it's what you want, by all means go for it. The only real consideration would be I'd recommend whatever you buy is controlled by a hobby grade (preferably programmable) radio system.

You can actually find the top speeds of all the WWII tanks online and set yours up to perfect scale if you prefer.
    What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Programmable radios also allow you to set the end point on your throttle so you can set the limit to the speed

I went to Danville with Cross country speed tanks with DBC momentum. Combine this with my lack of batting experience and I was cannon fodder. I came away from that experience knowing that if I wanted to be competitive I would need to prepare a specific IR battling tank.

I built a Sherman firefly with my own modified gear set. Lots of torque, but it would be hopeless on an IR battle field.

This is an old video before the DBC/Benedini. So the answer, Yes there are many of us who would prefer slow moving more realistic moving tanks, but this desire excludes the Kits and RTR as it takes some modification to get the tank to perform like this

The tank in the video is almost too slow. I have since stuck Mato 2.0 gears in this.

Last edited by YHR; 08-30-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Gentlemen
    Excellent information.
    This is what I was looking for and shows me what I want is doable.
    The video is perfect. I do not plan to do battleing only maneuvering around by myself so I look forward to practicing maneuvering.
    I was leaning toward an RTR tank but knowing what my end goal is would you recommend something else?
    The video is spot on for my eye as speed goes.

Hemel Hempstead,Hertfordshire, UNITED KINGDOM
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    JM the Tamiya may not be RTR but it is recognised as the standard to which all the other makers aspire, so saying any of the RTRs you buy can be modified using a world of available upgrades as well of course as your own engineering skills, in this hobby the world is your oyster. shaun.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Keep in mind, anything RTR, i.e., HL, Taigen, etc. will not have a hobby grade radio. You will not be able to control the top speed without changing out the board or gearboxes.

The key is to doing what you want is a programmable radio. Gearboxes with a different ratio will slow you down and provide more torque, but ultimately if you want to fine tune (and change at will in the case of road speed vs cross country) you'll need to be able to set the end points of the throttle via the servo travel adjustment. That way you could tune it to an exact scale top speed for whatever tank you have. Most programmable Txs have at least a 10 model memory, so each tank you own could be set to it's exact factory specs (or at least what you can find in the archives).

In terms of a tank, your options are to buy a RTR, a different board (DBC, Clark, etc) and radio or go Tamiya (which is an all inclusive kit which you need to build) and radio.
    Last edited by ausf; 08-30-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    What, me worry?

I am starting to understand. I was looking at RTR but for what is important to me points me at Tamiya.
    If I go that direction I will need to research radios. It's been a long time since I raced RC cars and crashed RC helicopters.
    I am in the Chicago area and will need some help.

Hemel Hempstead,Hertfordshire, UNITED KINGDOM
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    J/M there is a land to the north of you and within it's borders resides a dealer who trades under the name of IMMORTAL HOBBIES and he will be pleased to sell you a preloaded with Tank programs a TURNIGY 9 this fine gentleman is also a member of RCU under the name of FREAKY DUDE and comes highly recommended. shaun
    Last edited by jarndice; 08-30-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by ausf View Post
    Keep in mind, anything RTR, i.e., HL, Taigen, etc. will not have a hobby grade radio. You will not be able to control the top speed without changing out the board or gearboxes.

The key is to doing what you want is a programmable radio. Gearboxes with a different ratio will slow you down and provide more torque, but ultimately if you want to fine tune (and change at will in the case of road speed vs cross country) you'll need to be able to set the end points of the throttle via the servo travel adjustment. That way you could tune it to an exact scale top speed for whatever tank you have. Most programmable Txs have at least a 10 model memory, so each tank you own could be set to it's exact factory specs (or at least what you can find in the archives).

In terms of a tank, your options are to buy a RTR, a different board (DBC, Clark, etc) and radio or go Tamiya (which is an all inclusive kit which you need to build) and radio.
    Two of the simpler and less expensive ways to slow your tank and make it more realistic is to use a smaller pinion on your motors and add some weights inside the tank. The smaller (fewer teeth) pinions add torque and reduces top speed for a very low price and is simple low work solution. A little more weight (Stick on wheel weights are easiest) give the tank mass and heft. I hate to see them bouncing along and gun barrel wobbling as the drive. All of the solutions mentioned here including Jeff's are viable. I recommend the KISS principle whenever possible.
    Join us at NEAD: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/queenspanzergroup/
    He who ends up with the most toys wins!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymike View Post
    Gentlemen
    Excellent information.
    This is what I was looking for and shows me what I want is doable.
    The video is perfect. I do not plan to do battleing only maneuvering around by myself so I look forward to practicing maneuvering.
    I was leaning toward an RTR tank but knowing what my end goal is would you recommend something else?
    The video is spot on for my eye as speed goes.
    RTR is fine but you will need to change out things if you want it to run slow like this Sherman.Stock HL gears or Tamiya gears will not get you down to this speed. When it comes down to speed it is about gearing and the subsequent torque ratios. Programmable radios can limit your top end, but you still need a gear package that will deliver the torque required to allow a tank to plow through stuff at a low speed.

You asked for a recommendation so I will tell you my approach to this hobby, as it works for what I want.

Ideally I want all my tanks to run like this Sherman. As this means I will be changing out gears, electronics and radio I feel it is pointless to pay a premium. No one makes what I want, not even Tamiya. So I go with the cheap basic Heng Long, , strip it down to parts, and then rebuild it with what I want. For me that is Gears and motors with low end torque, a 6 channel radio that allows me to make full use of the DBC3 and Benedini Sound system. It ends up costing about $600 and a bunch of time. But spending time doing something enjoyable is the definition of a hobby to me.. If slow moving tanks are what you want the RX18 that comes with the Crystal based Heng Longs is fine. A low gear ratio means the gears never are stalled, You will break a track or suspension piece before you smoke and RX18 with these low gear ratios.

Typically here are the things you will throw away on a Stock Heng Long if you want realistic running.

Gears
    Electronics
    Battery
    Radio
    Plastic tracks on the poorer designed ones

Thanks for the tip about Immortal Hobbies. I visited their web site. That might be what I need to get what I want and not knowing the best components or upgrades to choose. As luck would have it I visit Concord ON on business regularly and Barrie, where they are located, is just down the road.

YHR
    I think you have hit the nail on the head for me. I have wandered all over the place trying to decide what to do and I think you have defined it for me.
    Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12