Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

ATAK zimmerit for HL King tiger-Opinions please?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ATAK zimmerit for HL King tiger-Opinions please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Marc780

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATAK zimmerit for HL King tiger-Opinions please?

i tried doing zimmerit on my 1/16 King Tiger with putty and spackle. Let's just say the only advice i have, is use spackle if you want to try it -because it washes off with water if you botch it like i did. Came out horrible looking. So, anybody that has used Atak zimmerit on their king tiger, or tiger for that matter, is it worth the $68 shipped? Any photos if available?
Old 08-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Reaper332

Hey mate I have done 3 KT's with the Atak zim and yeah I reckon its worth it... Here's an couple of pics, the 1st 4 are a H/L Porsche KT I am painting for a customer and the last 3 are Tamiya KT's

Hope this helps,
Cheers Ken

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	976
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	2027028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	2027029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	2027030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	2027031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5095.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	2027032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6130.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	2027033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6131.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	2027034  
Old 08-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i always have fun doing it i use Milliput

Old 08-30-2014, 02:21 AM
1sgt

I have used the Atak for the HL KT and it fits like a glove. Just use a glue that allows a bit of working time so you can align all the pieces up. I would post a pic, but in my wife's haste to clean the house for company, she put my charger somewhere and I can't find it.
The piece that covers the front MG bulge on the hull is flat with slits cut into it to form over the conical surface. Took a bit of working to get it correct. Would have rather cut the old bulge off and have a piece like the Atak Tamiya kit offers. It's a formed MG bulge with the zim on, you just pop it in place. The front turret and rear turret loaders door are molded like that as well.
I also have to say that all the holes for add on parts and the notches for the track skirt supports fir fantastically. I can not recommend this kit more.

Jim
Old 08-31-2014, 01:34 AM
Marc780

Thanks fellas for the great replies, I borrowed some of the photos to use for my own info and how to guide if you please (I have whole folders on my email accounts and zip drive with names like "Tank_HowTo", "TankParts" and so on to try and organize it somehow) i ordered the stuff ultimately. I ordered from Ebay/Forge Bear in England so it'll give me time to sand off the damage from the botched Testor's putty i put on...do they use that to patch battleships or what? It's damn tough to get off! Airbrushler your zim looks pretty good for hand work but mine was nowhere near that good, looked a mess. I used to do the zimmerit on 1/35 scale tanks with spackle, and was happy how it came out, i think though at the large scale these tanks are anything done wrong sticks out like a sore thumb. I had to either get the zimmerit or put the tank away, i have painted it 5 or 6 times still not happy. This has to be the last time for sure now...will post pics when i do the refurb!