Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Danville museum move to Ohio

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Danville museum move to Ohio

Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 AM
danlrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Danville museum move to Ohio

Old subject, I know. But I searched the forum and last news I saw was the newspaper article link about the move to the Dayton Ohio location, with an opening date target of Veterans Day (this year???)
Any updates or news from Karen, et al ?
Made it to Danville only once (had to fly), but new location is only 15 hr drive from my place in Minnesota, so I'm pretty excited about all this.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 09-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

It's even closer to Detroit so you're not the only one excited!!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:31 AM
DaveBcool

There is no official word coming from the Museum, which is what we are all waiting for.
It appears that November's battle event is on, so that's as far as the calendar goes for now.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:42 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

I think it's a done deal, just the logistics is what I believe is the biggest ordeal. Moving all of that equipment in GOOD weather is what they are waiting for.

The museum will be closer for me too, only having made it out to Danville twice. But... will there be a battlefield at the new location? Earlier this year a museum in Ohio held their first battle, it had a huge turnout. Maybe with the museum relocating things will heat up even more!

Jeff
Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Rustytrax

Initially the priority will be the setup of the displays, but once they get the museum laid out I think then local supporters can offer to start building it. It could be a solid year before the battlefield gets resurrected.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:45 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Really looking forward to it being closer to me as well. Instead of a 8 hour drive it will be 5!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 11:41 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just spoke to Karen about several topics and they will give us the scoop as soon as it is factual and certain. So we still need to wait for the official word. Personally, I believe we will be there at least thru the end of the year. But anything is possible. We just need to be prepared and carry on as normal. It took 10 years to get that battlefield perfected. So a new one in Ohio may take years to come to fruition at the same level. I will come out to Ohio to work with whomever is volunteering to help the Gassers move and build a new and better AAF Tank Mus & RC Battlefield. Who knows.... maybe we can have a second RC Tank battlefield outside and tank battle in the snow....Cool? NEAD has been doing it for years and the Yankee tankers are used to the lower temps. Those susceptible to the cold could battle via a warming hut or indoor room with a view or use TX Mitts.

Last edited by thecommander; 09-06-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:34 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thecommander
RC Tank battlefield outside and tank battle in the snow....Cool? NEAD has been doing it for years and the Yankee tankers are used to the lower temps. Those susceptible to the cold could battle via a warming hut or indoor room with a view or use TX Mitts.

FPV from your Suburban. Imagine the fun trash talk trying to find each other in a scale blizzard. He with the best whitewash wins!

Ahem, speaking of NEAD, the 14th?
Old 09-06-2014, 11:09 AM
danlrc

Originally Posted by thecommander
.... We just need to be prepared and carry on as normal. It took 10 years to get that battlefield perfected. So a new one in Ohio may take years to come to fruition at the same level. I will come out to Ohio to work with whomever is volunteering to help the Gassers move and build a new and better AAF Tank Mus & RC Battlefield.
Maybe the effort to get a new battlefield up and going can be started thru an online effort.
Do things like list the stuff that can be brought over from Danville (eg buildings, landscape features), what additional things would be needed (eg approx indoor area, approx amount and type of dirt, building supplies), a map of the current layout and key features to be included in the new battlefield, etc etc. At least it would be a start of the moving/planning process. Maybe a point person in the Dayton area could be found to coordinate locally on the battlefield part of the move project.
I don't know what role or extent the Gasser's want to be involved in the battlefield move/rebuild, but wouldn't hurt to look into getting started if Bob thinks it could be a many year project.
The project could be farmed out to participators here. For instance, trees could be started by some folks (the method and specs published here so that some consistency and scale is maintained). Or a list of needed buidings/bridges/ facades could be posted. I'd submit a plan for general approval and build a bridge or building if a list of needs was published (with desired specifications).
Sounds maybe insignificant compared to laying out the whole battlefield, but wouldn't hurt to start some effort.
Seems first thing would be to ID the general size/shape of the potential location and a local "project manager".
Just some thoughts cuz I'm a type A.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:30 AM
danlrc

Found an article on the move to Ohio:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...o-west-/ngK6z/

It gives the location of the new museum - the old Hobart factory in West Liberty Ohio.

This is it on Google maps (if link works)
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2600.../data=!3m1!1e3

Building size is about 260 x 300 ft (72,000SF). Plenty of empty land on the north side of the building.

No idea if the RC battlefield would be on the same site.

Last edited by danlrc; 09-06-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by danlrc
Maybe the effort to get a new battlefield up and going can be started thru an online effort.
Good idea. I'll commit right now to providing at least one building or structure. Commander Bob has seen my work so he can tell you the battlefield will benefit if it has at least one of my structures. I've already got a great idea. I know a building in Germany that looks normal from the outside, but it's actually a cathouse. That would give it an excellent secret-inside-joke kind of thing. And for a battlefield like this I know we'll need interior detail as well, maybe even lights and a smoking chimney. I just happen to be playin' around with that kind of stuff right now. You fellas let me know what ya think.

Last edited by Max-U52; 09-07-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:55 AM
DaveBcool

Danlrc - you can have the buildings and scenery from Danville when you pry it from our cold dead hands.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:00 AM
danlrc

Originally Posted by DaveBcool
Danlrc - you can have the buildings and scenery from Danville when you pry it from our cold dead hands.
Ooops! Sorry. I thought the battlefield had to go with the museum. Glad to hear it's separate and will stay for you guys after the museum moves.
That makes pre-planning and an early start on all the stuff for the new battlefield even more important. Starting from scratch will be tough....
Old 09-07-2014, 07:31 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The battlefield and everything on it belongs to the AAF Tank Museum. I have already contacted RC tankers and some Clubs in the area to coordinate support and logistics for the RC Tank battlefield last spring. All the final decisions will be made by the museum director. They love the hobby too and it is a very symbiotic relationship. All of the items you see there are donations and signed over (in writing) to the AAF Tank Mus in perpetuity.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:12 AM
DaveBcool

I thought danlrc was suggesting that the battlefield move BEFORE everything else.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:07 PM
danlrc

Dave,
The idea i was throwing out was to begin serious planning and then starting coordinated "satellite" efforts to get the new battlefield started. Was not suggesting moving first. Anyway, as I read the article in the West Liberty paper, the first step in the probable plan is to prep the old factory. Then move the museum. Last step would be the battlefield.
From the AAF website, the current museum is about 330,000 SF. The new building is only about 78,000SF (from Google Earth measurements). That seems to preclude any thought of room for a battlefield in the existing West Liberty building. So, a first step for the battlefield would be to patiently wait to hear from the Grossers' whether room will be provided. If so, how much room, when it might be available, and just how much fussing they want us to do before they give the green flag.
So, starting to discuss and formulate a plan and starting any activities that can be ID'd up front (and not negatively effect the current battlefield or the AAF move efforts) is the basic suggestion.