Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Question on IMEX King Tiger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Question on IMEX King Tiger

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 PM
TexasTank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on IMEX King Tiger

Greetings everyone, new member here. I'm the proud owner of an IMEX Panzer VI 1 (metal version) and have been considering getting the King Tiger. I found this one of IMEX's website.

http://www.imex-model.com/product/TO...29.html?cid=89

What exactly does "Professional" mean? How many versions of the King Tiger does IMEX now make? Thoughts on the tank in the link above? Thank you.

Joel
Old 09-06-2014, 06:06 PM
MODELMAN2

Hi Joel That actually means TOP OF THE LINE ...I need to take that off the description ..Its a little confusing.. Bill
Old 09-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTank
Greetings everyone, new member here. I'm the proud owner of an IMEX Panzer VI 1 (metal version) and have been considering getting the King Tiger. I found this one of IMEX's website.

What exactly does "Professional" mean? How many versions of the King Tiger does IMEX now make? Thoughts on the tank in the link above? Thank you.

Joel
As far as I know Imex has two different KTs, the Henschel and Porsche turret. The Henschel (it's misspelled on the Imex site) is the new one, the full metal. I haven't seen that one personally so maybe someone else here should cover that one. I have the older model, with the Porsche turret. If you want my feelings on that you'll have to PM me.

What is a Panzer VI 1? Is that a typo? Do you mean the Panzer IV? I have one of those, too, and it's a GREAT little tank, with the most powerful airsoft gun I have. If that's the one you have, what did your "metal version" come with? Mine had metal tracks but plastic drivers and idlers (not for long). As far as I know ALL Imex tanks come with metal gearboxes, but most of them are zinc alloy.

Anyway, I have a bunch of Imex tanks (love them all) and I'm a big fan of the company. Their customer service is the best there is. I even have an Imex V-2 rocket in 1/16th scale. I'm not really sure if that's good, cuz now I have to build a Meillerwagen convoy and that's gonna get expensive. But it will be worth it!!

Last edited by Max-U52; 09-06-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Max-U52

Here's another link for the KT that may provide you with more info.

http://www.themotorpool.net/R-C-Germ...p/tor13530.htm
Old 09-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by MODELMAN2
Hi Joel That actually means TOP OF THE LINE ...I need to take that off the description ..Its a little confusing.. Bill
Hey Bill,

You might also want to correct the spelling. Herschel Turret??
Old 09-06-2014, 07:25 PM
TexasTank

Bill and maxu52, thank you for the kind replies. Bill, it wasn't a typo. On the box my Tiger came in it says "Tiger I 1/16 2.4GHz Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger I". Perhaps I didn't use it correctly. I also have to admit I'm new to R/C tanks. My Tiger 1 is the first I've owned and I've only had it about 2 weeks. It certainly won't be the last I own. The King Tiger is really calling my name! Just need to figure out a way to convince the wife I need it. Thanks again.

Joel

PS. I don't want to do a thread of its own for this question, but anyone know where I can pick up some extra batteries for my Tiger? Thank you.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:29 PM
TexasTank

Maxu, here is the exact tank I have, it lists it as VI also for some reason. What do you think?

http://www.themotorpool.net/German-S...p/tag12040.htm

Regards,
Joel
Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Max-U52

Hey Joel,

I have that exact same tank in IR. What a great tank, eh? If you look for the thread I just put up called "My Tank is so cool ..." You'll see a video of that very tank climbing up into the bookshelf.

I got confused when you referred to it as a Panzer, because even though it is a Panzerkampfwagen most folks refer to it as a Tiger Tank as opposed to a Panzer. Of course, I'm new at this too so I might be totally wrong about that. I know that the King Tiger is sometimes called the Tiger II but I'm so used to hearing the Tiger I referred to as tiger that I easily forget it's also a Panzerkampfwagen VI.

I get my batteries at my local hobby shop, but you might try searching for 7.2 volt batteries on the internet. I did, and found these right away

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tener...FcRAMgodQQEAUA

I might even get some of these myself, as that's a pretty good price. They're about 22 bucks at my LHS. Of course, batteries are a whole different animal that I still have a lot to learn about. Imex-Erik knows quite a bit about batteries, so maybe he'll chime in.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:27 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Joel
Please excuse our website, it is being redone. Our web guy isn't a tank guy so please if you see more mistakes like that please let me know. It is still temporary right now but much better than it was. More is still planned of course.
The King Tiger we have in 2 versions, hybrid and metal version. There are 3 colors as well. I will explain them here in quick detail:

This is the IMEX King Tiger. The turret is the initial type also referred to as the Porsche turret. It comes in either airsoft or infrared versions. It comes with a plastic chassis, metal drive wheels, metal road wheels with bearings, metal idler wheels, metal caterpillar tracks, metal suspension arms, metal barrel, metal exhaust, metal tow hooks, zinc gearboxes 4:1, metal hatches, LED machine gun light, LED headlight, and a few accessories to go with it. It does come with smoke, sound, and recoil as well. The infrared version will also have barrel recoil. These tanks are RTR with a 2.4GHz radio, tank battery, and charger.

This is the Torro King Tiger. The turret is the production type, aka the Henschel turret. It comes in either airsoft or infrared versions. The airsoft is currently only available in camo while the infrared is available in desert yellow color. They both come with a metal chassis, metal torsion bar suspension, metal idler adjusters (rear idler torsion bar type), metal drive wheels, metal idler wheels with bearings, metal road wheels with bearings, metal caterpillar tracks, steel gearboxes 4:1 ratio, metal turret, metal barrel, metal accessories, metal exhausts, metal tow hooks, metal hatches (more hatches than the hybrid version), and of course some accessories to go with it. This tank also comes with smoke, sound, and recoil. The infrared version will have barrel recoil as well. These tanks are RTR with a 2.4GHz radio, tank battery, and charger.
Originally Posted by maxu52
Hey Bill,

You might also want to correct the spelling. Herschel Turret??
Yes, I will get on the web guy for that. I'll be adding a few new things tomorrow anyways.
Bill and maxu52, thank you for the kind replies. Bill, it wasn't a typo. On the box my Tiger came in it says "Tiger I 1/16 2.4GHz Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger I". Perhaps I didn't use it correctly. I also have to admit I'm new to R/C tanks. My Tiger 1 is the first I've owned and I've only had it about 2 weeks. It certainly won't be the last I own. The King Tiger is really calling my name! Just need to figure out a way to convince the wife I need it. Thanks again.

Joel

PS. I don't want to do a thread of its own for this question, but anyone know where I can pick up some extra batteries for my Tiger? Thank you.
The initial official German designation was Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausführung H for the Tiger 1, do not feel bad
The Tiger 1 is quite the tank for an initial purchase! It is a 17lb beast! As for batteries you should check out one of our vendors here on the forums first to support the hobby. I would suggest these guys: Gene@Artistic Hobbies, Curtis@Immortal Hobbies, or Bob@ETO for batteries.
Hey Joel,

I have that exact same tank in IR. What a great tank, eh? If you look for the thread I just put up called "My Tank is so cool ..." You'll see a video of that very tank climbing up into the bookshelf.

I got confused when you referred to it as a Panzer, because even though it is a Panzerkampfwagen most folks refer to it as a Tiger Tank as opposed to a Panzer. Of course, I'm new at this too so I might be totally wrong about that. I know that the King Tiger is sometimes called the Tiger II but I'm so used to hearing the Tiger I referred to as tiger that I easily forget it's also a Panzerkampfwagen VI.

I get my batteries at my local hobby shop, but you might try searching for 7.2 volt batteries on the internet. I did, and found these right away

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tener...FcRAMgodQQEAUA

I might even get some of these myself, as that's a pretty good price. They're about 22 bucks at my LHS. Of course, batteries are a whole different animal that I still have a lot to learn about. Imex-Erik knows quite a bit about batteries, so maybe he'll chime in.
I tend to buy a bit better quality for my tanks. They are expensive rigs and risking my whole model just to save 10-20 bucks isn't worth it to me. I personally like hardpacks as well. Sometimes things bounce around on the inside of a tank and if a screw gets loose and you hit a bump at the right time... you just never know. For learning about batteries I would suggest www.batteryuniversity.com as they will have all the info you could ever need. Luckily with our tanks they aren't pulling a lot of big current so a 20C battery is usually plenty for our tanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00199.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	2030216   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00723.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	2030217   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140722_164452.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	2030220  
Old 09-08-2014, 11:15 AM
FreakyDude

This is proffesional, not a single upgrade could be stuffed into this bad boy. This is the metal version King Tiger, I had it out on a battle day and honestly I think this is my favorite tank. Straight out of the box it runs like a real sweetheart. One of these days I'll get around to posting the upgrades ( very little is actually required, I just wanted this one to be my Tank ). I have been working on a Tiger i have been wanting to do for a long time though and it will take priority for now.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0563.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	4.31 MB
ID:	2030258  
Old 09-08-2014, 11:58 AM
TexasTank

Just ordered my King Tiger. Thanks to Erik for the help and I went with the airsoft version that has the camo paint job. Should be here next week. Anyone know if these come with decals on them? Thanks!

Joel
Old 09-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Imex-Erik

Just ordered my King Tiger. Thanks to Erik for the help and I went with the airsoft version that has the camo paint job. Should be here next week. Anyone know if these come with decals on them? Thanks!

Joel
No decals on them, but they are included in the accessory box
Old 09-08-2014, 12:32 PM
TexasTank

Thanks Erik. I ask because my Tiger I did come with decals already on. I'd much prefer to do it myself. Thanks,

Joel
Old 09-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Max-U52

Hey Joel,

See what I mean about Erik and batteries?

We might have to start a new thread for this one, though. The batteries I was looking at online are pretty much the same as what comes with the tanks, right? Other than being 3000 instead of 2000, that is. I've been running the onyx 3000 batteries from my LHS and they seem pretty good. Sooo ...

Hey Erik, What does Imex recommend for an extra battery? Maybe one of the dealers will chime in on this? I think Joel might like to hear this, too?
Old 09-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Augustus1967

I picked up a 5000 Mah Battery from Curtis at Immortal Hobbies...
But haven't had a chance to run it yet...
Should be a good addition...

-gus
Old 09-09-2014, 03:40 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI the 5000mAh packs from Curtis are really good, I've been running a few of them in various tanks and they take a solid charge every time. NiMH is my tank preference.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:35 AM
Imex-Erik

Hey Joel,

See what I mean about Erik and batteries?

We might have to start a new thread for this one, though. The batteries I was looking at online are pretty much the same as what comes with the tanks, right? Other than being 3000 instead of 2000, that is. I've been running the onyx 3000 batteries from my LHS and they seem pretty good. Sooo ...

Hey Erik, What does Imex recommend for an extra battery? Maybe one of the dealers will chime in on this? I think Joel might like to hear this, too?
I have to know my batteries, safety first. I have had good luck with batteries, I rode around around on a project for a while with my own lipo pack made for an ebike and had no issues. The thing is just knowing how they work and having a plan. Honest for recommendations I say any 6 cell NIMH will do with a 15C or higher discharge. Even 15C will be plenty, but no harm in getting a better quality battery, especially since NIMH is so cheap these days. Any mAh over 2000 will increase your runtime with our tanks. What I recommend is asking our forum dealers. They will have batteries in stock with the connectors you need already installed or can install them for you. Once again this supports the hobby and makes them want to carry more tank stuff I know Immortal and Artistic both have what you guys need.
Originally Posted by Augustus1967
I picked up a 5000 Mah Battery from Curtis at Immortal Hobbies...
But haven't had a chance to run it yet...
Should be a good addition...

-gus
Definitely! You should get well over an hour with that one!
Originally Posted by Strato50
FYI the 5000mAh packs from Curtis are really good, I've been running a few of them in various tanks and they take a solid charge every time. NiMH is my tank preference.
Yea to be honest there is no need for lipo at this current stage and scale of RC tanks. NIMH is both easy to work with and charge. It also has the added bonus of being way cheaper. I only use lipo because I have so many here. The current the tanks pull from the batteries is not anywhere near to what even single brushed motor rc cars are pulling from the same batteries sold in 1/10th scale cars today.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:28 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 5000 Mah NIMH battery is the ideal choice in my opinion.

However, I started running Lipo's just recently and the performance from these is great. They deliver amps right until the buzzer goes off, so you have no drop off in performance with a low battery. For a Battle tank this means you always have full power at the ESC which is important when hits have been taken. You don't want a low battery contributing to the Battle damage, making your tank an early pill box.

If you are not into battling and are running stock tanks the NIMH is more then adequate.