Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Low profile gearboxes are here!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Low profile gearboxes are here!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Low profile gearboxes are here!!

Hey tankers,
I just got in some new gearboxes and I thought I would share
The ones I just got in are 3:1, black steel CNC machined gears, 48mm shaft length, and in a middle/low motor mounting position. These are the low profile gearboxes needed for the Tiger 1, Pan-Tiger, Panzer 3, Panzer 4, Stug 3, KV-1, KV-2, and Sturmtigers! They are our new black can type motors and do have bearings on the final drive shaft. Here is a dirty set I just got done testing my Tiger with

I will get more specs in the next day or two such at the tanks it fits, pricing, and the item number. Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140910_143451_HDR.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	2030890  
Old 09-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

What sprockets fit on these axles?

Jeff
Old 09-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Panther F
What sprockets fit on these axles?

Jeff
Since the output shafts are the same across all tanks it should technically "fit" all drive wheels. The problem is the shaft length, this one I just got in is 48mm long, which means it is the short shaft version gearboxes. In the next day or two I will install them in every tank we have and let you know which ones they are 100% in or which ones if any need modifications. Which tank are you trying to fit?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Panther F

Hi Erik!

It's a HL Panzer IV (that will become a Sturmpanzer Brummbar) that I need a gearbox, sprockets/idler and tracks for. Might as well get ONE brand so there are no problems, right?

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 09-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Panther F
Hi Erik!

It's a HL Panzer IV (that will become a Sturmpanzer Brummbar) that I need a gearbox, sprockets/idler and tracks for. Might as well get ONE brand so there are no problems, right?

Thanks!

Jeff
Yes, very correct
I intend on playing with them over the next day or two to get accustomed to them first before I take a set for my own project...
I will have pictures soon installed in a few tanks ok?
Old 09-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
These are the low profile gearboxes needed for the Tiger 1, Pan-Tiger, Panzer 3, Panzer 4, Stug 3, KV-1, KV-2, and Sturmtigers! They are our new black can type motors
I didn't think you needed low profile for the Tiger 1. Am I missing something?

Are the black can motors any better than the stock 380s? Are they available separately? How much for a pair?
Old 09-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Panther F

Yes, very correct
I intend on playing with them over the next day or two to get accustomed to them first before I take a set for my own project...
I will have pictures soon installed in a few tanks ok?

Sounds good!

It's a low priority build right now as I am finishing up a few more before I go with working on it.

Jeff
Old 09-11-2014, 04:09 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by maxu52
I didn't think you needed low profile for the Tiger 1. Am I missing something?

Are the black can motors any better than the stock 380s? Are they available separately? How much for a pair?
NEED? No. Want? Yes. If you plan on doing conversions or kits they really are some of the best types of gearboxes as they are very low profile which helps with clearance issues. They are also steel 3:1 which we have not had yet. We do have the steel 4:1s already, but the 3:1 will be nice. It will mainly be for the KV1 and Panzer tanks as they already have 3:1 stock, so these will not change the speed of the tank, just the reliability of the gearboxes.
The black motors are about the same as as the previous motors, just black. They should run a bit cooler as well. Never hurts to put a heatsink on them anyways, they are cheap for that size. All of our new motors will be this color. I will most likely have the gearboxes changed to black as well, it really looks good
Old 09-11-2014, 04:27 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

If you plan on doing conversions or kits they really are some of the best types of gearboxes as they are very low profile which helps with clearance issues. They are also steel 3:1 which we have not had yet. We do have the steel 4:1s already, but the 3:1 will be nice.
See, now you're confusing me again. Does this mean you have low profile steel 4:1 boxes? I thought you only had the steel 4:1 in the high/low motor configuration, not low profile.

And if making the gearboxes black will increase the price then don't do it!

Gary
Old 09-11-2014, 04:58 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by maxu52
See, now you're confusing me again. Does this mean you have low profile steel 4:1 boxes? I thought you only had the steel 4:1 in the high/low motor configuration, not low profile.

And if making the gearboxes black will increase the price then don't do it!

Gary
For steel gearboxes I have these:
120024- 48mm High/Low 4:1
120264- 58mm High/low 4:1
********- 48mm Middle/Low 3:1

I am also looking into getting low profile long shaft gearboxes as well for things like the Jagdpanther and such. I will keep you updated, this was a surprise I was not expecting. These were not supposed to be in this shipment, but the next
Edit: Price should not be effected by a color change. At the very least I will have the steel ones with a black color soon enough, it just looks really good with the added color... No ETA on the color change as we have not even decided on which or if yet. My sample does look good though huh?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GearSet New Color PRO -2.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	2031110  

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 09-11-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The low profiles aren't set up to run in 4:1 ratio because that extra 4th gear at the read will never reach a mid-mount motor :\ Sometimes I wish there were, for TD's like Stug's and JagdPanthers that would really benefit from the torque.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:15 AM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Strato50
The low profiles aren't set up to run in 4:1 ratio because that extra 4th gear at the read will never reach a mid-mount motor :\ Sometimes I wish there were, for TD's like Stug's and JagdPanthers that would really benefit from the torque.
Ditto...
Old 09-11-2014, 11:01 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey tankers,
I just got in some new gearboxes and I thought I would share
The ones I just got in are 3:1, black steel CNC machined gears, 48mm shaft length, and in a middle/low motor mounting position. These are the low profile gearboxes needed for the Tiger 1, Pan-Tiger, Panzer 3, Panzer 4, Stug 3, KV-1, KV-2, and Sturmtigers! They are our new black can type motors and do have bearings on the final drive shaft. Here is a dirty set I just got done testing my Tiger with

I will get more specs in the next day or two such at the tanks it fits, pricing, and the item number. Stay tuned!
It looks like the overall height of the gearbox is the same as the high/low profile. The only "shortening" appears be lowering the height of one of the motors by moving it to a different position. Am I missing something?

Any plans to put replace the brass bushings with ball bearings on each gear shaft?

Are you discontinuing the low-profile brass gearboxes?