Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't IMEX have a Sherman?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Why doesn't IMEX have a Sherman?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Baliw
I wouldn't mind a Ram Mk. II, or consider a Firefly a European tank

For me it's this: I LOVE German and Russian tanks and I suppose that it's representative of demand BUT I am also wanting an Axis/Allies balance because, just like World of Tanks, it becomes silly sometimes to always have German tanks fighting each other. :P So I guess my point is, how about levelling the grounds a bit and consider diversity more than just straight up demand? I think a Sherman and its variants (I vote for the Easy 8 too but I'll take any) is a singular exception in that it is so present in the theater in its time.
Noted. Also, the option of more than just tanks is on the table as well, though currently it is just a thought. Tanks are great sellers, and expanding my support to those will be daunting I am already pressed for time as is! I have had bossman read this thread and he is aware of the idea. I should be able to give a yes or no after the next tank at least.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:04 PM
mondo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Noted, I have already made bossman read the thread
As for the chassis, if it is metal, it is a new mold. They may be HL "compatible" but they are new molds. Future tanks might not retain this function. We shall see
New molds won't go amiss. My only problem with the Taigan Tiger was it follows the HL pattern for joining the upper to the lower meaning there can be a gap where they meet that sometimes needs to be screwed down. This in turn can warp the top.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by mondo
New molds won't go amiss. My only problem with the Taigan Tiger was it follows the HL pattern for joining the upper to the lower meaning there can be a gap where they meet that sometimes needs to be screwed down. This in turn can warp the top.
I am a bit confused here, our Tiger 1 is held down by a latch system...? Our metal tanks are secured through latch systems instead of screws, it is a lot easier for the end user to access the internals. Do you mean the side fenders where you screw from beneath?
Old 09-15-2014, 01:22 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Eric, the sponsons on the lower hull tend to bend downwards which make quite a noticeable gap. I've tried bracing but still can get it spot on.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Imex-Erik

It sounds like you may need some stress bars. The new Tiger 1 tanks have the front bar already installed. Is this something you would be interested in?

For my own tanks I usually use two of them, one in front and one in the middle. This makes it a ton more stiff and picks up the fenders a bit. PM me if you need one and we can talk.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140915_174217_HDR.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	2032172  
Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Eric
"Also, the option of more than just tanks is on the table as well, though currently it is just a thought." - How about an M113?

Mal
Old 09-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Well IF we did do one, I would think it wouldn't be that hard to make a few different versions... except for the Jumbo. If I remember correctly that is a whole new tank as far as tooling and such would go. We would have to see how the initial release went first and see how much demand is there. Then we could plan something like the Tiger where we have a few different versions. I have to tell you guys though... In order of requests it goes: German, Russian, any flavor of European tank or mods of them, then Canadian, and at the very bottom the US tanks. Of course revenue ultimately picks most of the tanks so it might take a while.

Well if the company is interested in making different versions of the Sherman than just a 'one off' tank like the Easy Eight M4A3E8 then maybe staying with the base VVSS tank. THIS will yield many more versions than the HVSS will. Although there ARE subtle differences in the VVSS (along with the road wheels), most notably the very first early version used on the M3, you could still get by using a suspension much like the Heng Long company did although I would hope it was a better detailed and well done than what they tried to pull off.

You could NEVER have enough Sherman tanks but also, a need for British tanks from WWII is also much needed and wanted! Churchill, Comet, Cromwell... I could go on and one but won't. So if you are looking for something that WILL SELL, British tanks from WWII are in much need than just rehashing the same German tanks that everyone else has.

Just My Opinion!

Jeff
Old 09-15-2014, 05:00 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther F
Well if the company is interested in making different versions of the Sherman than just a 'one off' tank like the Easy Eight M4A3E8 then maybe staying with the base VVSS tank. THIS will yield many more versions than the HVSS will. Although there ARE subtle differences in the VVSS (along with the road wheels), most notably the very first early version used on the M3, you could still get by using a suspension much like the Heng Long company did although I would hope it was a better detailed and well done than what they tried to pull off.

You could NEVER have enough Sherman tanks but also, a need for British tanks from WWII is also much needed and wanted! Churchill, Comet, Cromwell... I could go on and one but won't. So if you are looking for something that WILL SELL, British tanks from WWII are in much need than just rehashing the same German tanks that everyone else has.

Just My Opinion!

Jeff

One I share.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hah, imagine Taigen releasing a Grant... I'd be incredibly happy actually! It'd piss off and / or elate the Sherman guru's I'd think

I'd buy one immediately.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Panther F

YHR ~ Thanks Dan!

Strato50 ~ I'm right with you buddy! A Grant or a Lee and I would want BOTH!

Jeff
Old 09-15-2014, 07:00 PM
modelbob71

Oh, let's dream. How about a US M103 ?
Old 09-15-2014, 07:27 PM
mondo

Originally Posted by Panther F

Just My Opinion!

Jeff
I would pay good money for a Churchill, Matilda Senior or Centurion. Someone really has to do a Centurion. That would sell big time.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:38 AM
Panther F

I would pay good money for a Churchill, Matilda Senior or Centurion. Someone really has to do a Centurion. That would sell big time.

Exactly... if anyone is reading this. All we need is the Mark III Centurion and we can do the rest.

Jeff
Old 09-16-2014, 03:47 AM
mondo

I am a bit confused here, our Tiger 1 is held down by a latch system...? Our metal tanks are secured through latch systems instead of screws, it is a lot easier for the end user to access the internals. Do you mean the side fenders where you screw from beneath?

As Tom said, its the sponsons. I've put a brace across it but it doesn't entirely solve the problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly happy with my Taigan Tiger but where the two hull assemblies meet is the weak point both visually and structurally.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:14 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As Tom said, its the sponsons. I've put a brace across it but it doesn't entirely solve the problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly happy with my Taigan Tiger but where the two hull assemblies meet is the weak point both visually and structurally.
At least on my Tiger which is essentially a Taigen (Asiatam hull with HL upper) the problem is that the unused posts that used to be used for hull screws don't seat perfectly, thus the upper & lower don't "click" together and you get a gap below the sponsons.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Strato50
At least on my Tiger which is essentially a Taigen (Asiatam hull with HL upper) the problem is that the unused posts that used to be used for hull screws don't seat perfectly, thus the upper & lower don't "click" together and you get a gap below the sponsons.
I think Taigen shortens those posts to avoid that problem. Erik would know. I use those braces on all my tanks and they do help quite a bit. I wouldn't mind seeing those offered for sale, along with motor mounting plates. You could probably make your own mounting plate with the cover from an electrical box, but it's nice having the predrilled and tapped holes. You don't use them all, but they're good for alignment as well as fastening to the ones that do fit.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:50 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by maxu52
I think Taigen shortens those posts to avoid that problem. Erik would know. I use those braces on all my tanks and they do help quite a bit. I wouldn't mind seeing those offered for sale, along with motor mounting plates. You could probably make your own mounting plate with the cover from an electrical box, but it's nice having the predrilled and tapped holes. You don't use them all, but they're good for alignment as well as fastening to the ones that do fit.
Yes on the newest versions we do cut the post a bit. The reason was they were causing sag and droop after periods of time. I had this corrected on the front of the tanks and now all current Tiger 1 tanks (metal and plastic both) will be shipped with a front brace. This fixes most droop in the front. Sometimes it can be in the middle, but with the stress bar right over the holes where they would connect to the top hull (sand them down flat first) it negates most of the droop. Then the top hull pieces sit on top of it. I would thing the best option would be to add some rare earth magnets after that for the best effect. The motor plates are available if you ask, I just have only had a few ask for them so they aren't available as a part number. Once again, if you guys need anything give me a PM, I'll see what I can do of course.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

This is the retrofit on my plastic T1. I measure between the front plate where it's metal and carry that size all the way back, using the bar clamp to draw the sides together before I mark and drill the holes. Another brace in the center helps even more, but I haven't put that one in yet. That will be one of the last things I do so I'm not taking it on and off more than I have to. I'm keeping a build log on the plastic T1, so maybe later I'll do a separate thread on that. And once again, with a decent coupon those cheap calipers are $9.99 at harbor freight, they really come in handy and they're plenty accurate enough for what we do here.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2317.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	2032771  
Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Imex-Erik

Ok so the final answer is yes we do have a Sherman

I feel bad about leading you guys on, but we do stand by our rules of never announcing until production has officially started. I would of never heard the end of it if something happened before we started and I announced it.

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 09-17-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:10 PM
mordock999

Originally Posted by TexasTank
I find that a bit perplexing. Thanks,

Joel

Looks Like YOU got YOUR Wish....,
Old 09-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Imex-Erik

Now I can start playing with the next tank