Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New from IMEX/Taigen! M4A3 75mm Sherman :)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New from IMEX/Taigen! M4A3 75mm Sherman :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 PM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the product is different enough that some will buy one and some will buy another. I honestly feel that competition is good. The HL is a 105 so a comparison but not really, Imex is a 75 and Mato is a complete metal 75.
the mato metal will lose this battle

Originally Posted by YHR
Curtis

Mato has the same thing coming out and this has been known for months. With the Mato release just around the corner, now we will have two almost identical tanks competing for the same customer $ + the Heng Long.. Pretty small market to have these kind of things happening.

http://www.matotoys.com/prodview.php...green)&search=.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like it!

I have had my sights set on a M4A3(76) for awhile now.. this will look nice with the Mato turret sitting ontop.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:17 PM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kinda a let down...molded in tools, parascopes molded closed, poor hatch handles? detail looks like a step down....it will not be a good ir fighter, to heavy....to bad. Maybe the next tank will be better.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:09 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watched the video...nice intro, too. Now I have some detailed questions:

- Are there bearings in the gearboxes for each gear shaft? Or, just the drive shaft? (couldn't tell from the video)

- Are there ball bearings in the road wheels? Return or carriage rollers? Idler?

- Is the idler adjustable?

- Are the 360 turret ring kits going to be available for separate purchase in Oct when this goes online?

Two product development suggestions:
1) dump the cool white LEDs...wrong color for all of the early tanks that you have. Go with warm white (yellowish) LEDs instead. It will be more accurate and they cost the same.
2) any chance to get the motherboard with programable sound? One board...customizable to any tank for realism or just plain fun of listening to "Rock You Like a Hurricane" while it drives past.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:55 AM
Drew67

Lol,I could just imagine the looks, a WW II Sherman blasting away playing the Scorpions "Rock You Like a Hurricane.... I have that LP <---showing age
Old 09-18-2014, 03:32 AM
YHR

Originally Posted by FreakyDude
the product is different enough that some will buy one and some will buy another. I honestly feel that competition is good. The HL is a 105 so a comparison but not really, Imex is a 75 and Mato is a complete metal 75.
the mato metal will lose this battle
if Taigen price this like their other premium tanks, I am not so sure about that. What are we going to be looking at for a price $400??? Mato's all metal tank will be in the same price range, has proper suspension, better detailing, Opening hatches etc..

Competition is good, but I don't need to tell you what a small market this is. It would be nice if these manufactures worked together a bit and got on the same page. If Taigen would have left the Sherman to Mato and then put the time, money and effort into something really new, then people would be less choked about this.

People had the same compliant about Heng Long. Why release everything that Tamiya has already done, and now we have Taigen re releasing everything Heng Long does.

Yes I am thankful for the Metal T-34 chassis, and am quite willing to spend the dollars on that.

On positive note, I think the Taigen Metal Sherman chassis with the better tracks is the real event in this release. Hopefully these will be available as a part, like the T-34 chassis.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Dan, what do you mean by the suspension works wrong? It it the same method as the HL with the springs under torsion rather than compression?
Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 AM
YHR

The Torsion bar is spilt , and is not one piece like the prototype. IT hinges and swings like the swing arms.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:26 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't want to beat a dead horse because it is what it is so don't feel I am wanting to argue this point. But do you guys realize how long it takes from inception to the drawing board for an RC tank to become reality? I remember when the HL Sherman came out you guys were ALL disappointed that the thing had hollow wheels, hollow track pads, single pin tracks... and it was the 105MM version. You all screamed and *****ed that it would have been MUCH BETTER if it were the 75MM version and a lot of you would buy one if those things were corrected. And now they have been corrected and now some are just complaining to complain!!!

Sure, it could have separate tools and the hatch handles could have been different but you and I are NOT the only ones that buy these things. WE are a group of builders & modelers that eventually will modify these to what we like or want anyway and be careful what you ask for... you guys wanted all metal so changing anything is a bit harder (but doable) than plastic.

But out of the package, it's the best Sherman RTR out there with ALL the options & features it has... THIS will be a big seller so rivet counters relax. Make this one count and don't ruffle the feathers too much or they may STOP listening and put out what THEY want to market. You want this or that (even British tanks) but it may not happen if we stab them in the back over this.

Just some words to reflect on guys. Think about it.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2014, 04:56 AM
Cold Comfort
My Feedback: (1)

This is just my opinion, fair or not, we have become a society where change and new are so common place that growth is based on the next best thing and not need, quality or function. Just look at the phone industry. I for one am old school, I don't even have a cellphone. I started out in 1/24 scale tanks, VStank pro and forces of valor, I stayed with that scale for years and tried to ignore 1/16 scale I only got into 1/16 when they stopped making any new tanks in 1/24. After having two or in some cases 5 of the same tank it gets a little stale. My fear is with all the rehashes in 1/16 for me it will go the way of 1/24 scale. Having over 30 1/24 scale tanks and 4 1/16 scale tanks and only being able to operate one at time why would I buy any more tanks unless they are new. With only 4 1/16 tanks I still have some tanks to go before the options dry up for me, but I'm sure that there are guys here that have all the 1/16 tanks in one version or another already so keeping their interest gets harder. The ones on here that seem disappointed are the older members that might be in that situation and the others seem to be new to the hobby or don't have a sherman yet so it's not so bad. I don't have a sherman (in 1/16) so it's yet another choice for me, but I would still rather have a choice of a totally different tank than a choice between several versions of the same tank.
Greg
Old 09-18-2014, 05:20 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YHR
if Taigen price this like their other premium tanks, I am not so sure about that. What are we going to be looking at for a price $400??? Mato's all metal tank will be in the same price range, has proper suspension, better detailing, Opening hatches etc..

Competition is good, but I don't need to tell you what a small market this is. It would be nice if these manufactures worked together a bit and got on the same page. If Taigen would have left the Sherman to Mato and then put the time, money and effort into something really new, then people would be less choked about this.

People had the same compliant about Heng Long. Why release everything that Tamiya has already done, and now we have Taigen re releasing everything Heng Long does.

Yes I am thankful for the Metal T-34 chassis, and am quite willing to spend the dollars on that.

On positive note, I think the Taigen Metal Sherman chassis with the better tracks is the real event in this release. Hopefully these will be available as a part, like the T-34 chassis.
I agree, but don't see it happening.

Tamiya has been releasing models since it started as a wooden ship company after WWII. They spend the time seeking out examples, measuring and photographing as they work up the masters. Extremely time consuming and expensive process, carried out by long time staff professionals. They're compensated for that with sales, far reaching, decades long sales to static modelers everywhere. Just like text books versus best sellers, RC tanks were only going to reach a tiny percentage of modelers, therefore return of investment dictates a higher to produce a new model with low sales potential.

HL comes along and takes what Tamiya already worked out, changes the appearance slightly for ease of molding (not engineered as a kit) and to keep it out of international court. Adds a battery box, simplifies the suspension and hits a much lower price point. Not to mention, zero QC or support. Textbook vs dimestore paperback.

Taigen comes along and upgrades HL, offers support and QC, but in no way can pull off starting from scratch at it's current price point. I doubt you'd see any T-34s on the market if it wasn't for Trumpeter's static ans WSN line.

If I (or you) had unlimited time and money, we could visit a surviving Cromwell (or anything else), measure, study and make a detailed production model that would blow away any HL release. Problem is, by the time molds were made, mechanics designed, built and the thing was boxed for sale, it would cost about $10,000 each.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:42 AM
CaptainB

Just my two pence but why all the fuss with metal? All it does is put more stress on the drive system, demanding better gearboxes,motors,batteries etc and makes modifying harder. Also, the cost of these things is getting close to a Tamiya and that's without the electronics. With the Sherman, I have the Mato version, a Tamiya 105 and have just ordered the Tamiya 'super Version' - yes I know I'll have to improve that a bit, but to be honest,my interest in Shermans is now spent. I can see the attraction for guys to make other tanks from the chassis but really another sherman? I wont be buying but if it had been a grant tank in plastic/duraluminium like tamiya, or something else, I'd go for it.

No offence intended in this - as cold comfort says, I too am a bit older and am looking for new stuff WW2 or modern.

Cheers

CaptB
Old 09-18-2014, 05:53 AM
Cruiser133

In my opinion, the hype allowed our minds to venture into our deepest desires for something truly new and exciting. For a brief second I was dreaming of a VK series or E-100, so when the news of another Sherman was released, there was a bit of disappointment. I think the level of hype needs to be commiserate with the level of wow factor and originality. Now that I have had a few hours to deal with the letdown, I can now clearly see the benefit of this model and will more than likely use it to build a Jumbo. So good work Imex, but please less hype next time for a rehash. I would be stoked if you guys would buy the molds from Hooben and build a Maus and E-100. I have been working on converting a Juckenburg E-100 for almost a year now and it is quite the task...
Old 09-18-2014, 05:54 AM
karel47

yes i was also a bit disappointed but then ... this is the sherman how he was send to europe with the 75mm for fighting the germans ... i buy one for my taskgroup Patton ... the metal suspension is a big plus

... but as rivetcounter said ... why so many copy's ... take for instant an achilles , an m18 hellcat etc cromwell ... therefore the release of matos wolverine, jackson etc is what we waiting for more ...

i have allready converted an easy eight and a firefly for my taskforce here ... consider please next time something new , not made allready

none the less a nice sherman what will be the price of it ?

Last edited by karel47; 09-18-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:32 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Curious comments. Manufacturers will learn what to make or not to make from one and only one mwtric: sales.

Nothing else matters. That's not a complaint, gripe or whine; that's the reality of being a business.

Jerry
Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 AM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Looking at the pictures, isn't that the FOV paint job???
Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 AM
karel47

curieus the stars are bright the sherman body dirty ... nice sherman eric ... thanks for sharing
Old 09-18-2014, 07:26 AM
Panther F

Originally Posted by dgsselkirk
Looking at the pictures, isn't that the FOV paint job???

I see I wasn't alone in that observation.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2014, 07:38 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I know metal can be harder to work with, but that is what they made Dremel tools for! A cutting wheel or ball bit will make short work of those solid handels and molded on tools. Then replace them with brass or steel wire the right diameter. Next add the tools back as separate parts. I thought for us modeler types that modifying things was part of the fun and stress relief process?? The casting effect on the turret looks great. The lower hull is laid out nicely. Not sure why there has been such a high level of negative vibes???
Old 09-18-2014, 07:54 AM
karel47

i think a lot were suspecting something totaly new , look at asiatam and mato ... suddenly they announce one when its aviable

you all new the latest release of asiatam he guy's ... didn't i told you ... uhmmm i suppose not ... totaly surprising everyone ... yes all scale 1/16

1/16 commandowagen 3T Opel Blitz

that will not say we aren't happy , well i do
1/16 fieldkitchen Goulash
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10615381_904949116186268_4150453935750353458_n.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	2033249   Click image for larger version

Name:	10670080_923793727635140_1021321461930652369_n.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2033250  

Last edited by karel47; 09-18-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:02 AM
CaptainB

I think the negativity is just frustration with yet another re-hash of an existing model. I think this could be nice model if one wants a sherman. Personally, I dont and the fact it is metal is not a selling point to me.

When I have metallized my HL tanks, they dont seem to drive as nice and you need to upgrade gearboxes,motors,batteries etc to get it back to
being a nice driving tank. I prefer the Tamiya type of design, with a good balance of strength,detail and power to weight. Also, the cost of this thing is likely to be close to a Tamiya, making it unafordable to those on a tight budget.

Releasing new stuff - re-hashed or not is a good thing I suppose.

Cheers

CaptB
Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 AM
paintjockey

Yes! Yes! Yes! I for one am happy. (and I guessed it, I should get a free one!!) Thanks for making it. Will there be an IR version of it?
Thanks again
Terry
Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Panther F

Originally Posted by MAUS45
I know metal can be harder to work with, but that is what they made Dremel tools for! A cutting wheel or ball bit will make short work of those solid handels and molded on tools. Then replace them with brass or steel wire the right diameter. Next add the tools back as separate parts. I thought for us modeler types that modifying things was part of the fun and stress relief process?? The casting effect on the turret looks great. The lower hull is laid out nicely. Not sure why there has been such a high level of negative vibes???

Not everyone has talent like you and I NOR, have the tools OR the experience to do so. Metal is harder to work with but guys... these companies that put out these RC tanks are like Armor Museums.

If you don't have a Sherman, you really don't have anything. (and this is the truth too)

So, buy a Taigen Sherman and keep them interested in new releases. You've heard the old saying... don't bite the hand that feeds. I was not initially interested in getting one (gotta get that T34 first) but to keep continued interest with them I will add one too to my collection. Why stop at 8 Shermans, huh? LOL

Jeff
Old 09-18-2014, 09:16 AM
welchgc

Hey All,
I have been MIA for a while but glad to be back.
Once things is for sure, it is nice to see all the action on the boards regarding the new tank release, whether it good or bad comments. Shows a nice passion for the hobby. We should all be glad we are able to have this discussion.
Good job to Erik/IMEX for putting in the effort to bring us new tanks on a regular basis.
Always looking forward to whats next.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Panther F

Yeah, I think the fact that a REALLY NICE Sherman is hitting the shelves, the 'other guys' will be hard at it to get their next one out.

Kinda like a "Let's out do them" attitude!

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.