Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

RCing a static 1/16 Tamiya Kubelwagen kit?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

RCing a static 1/16 Tamiya Kubelwagen kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Question RCing a static 1/16 Tamiya Kubelwagen kit?

What has everyone used? I want a 'ground up' complete car and looked at 1/18 but it's either too long a wheelbase or too wide and I would hate to get a cheap RC car that has no reverse or proportional speed.

4-WD would be a plus but just have exhausted all my searches and thought I'd ask for some ideas! I must keep the overall height down, so these large coil-over suspensions won't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Jeff
Old 09-20-2014, 12:38 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go, Jeff. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...en-1-16-a.html I'm going to copy what Mike did for mine.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:39 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If memory serves me correctly Ausf started a build thread on converting a 1/16 Kübelwagen to RC using a rock crawler in I think 1/18 scale, having a 4 wheel drive Kübelwagen would also be historically correct in a number of cases as a number were converted to 4 wheel drive as test beads for the Schwimmwagen and Käfer, 4 wheel drive Käfer served in North Africa
Old 09-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

You're starting with the static kit, are you trying to modify the body in the kit, or just make it mobile? I have the Tamiya R/C Kubelwagen, so if you need any info from that let me know.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2015.JPG
Views:	3141
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2033705  
Old 09-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Panther F

Oh, thanks Gary! It's good to know someone I do know has one if I need some measurements!

Guys... I was thinking more along the lines of one of these:

http://www.artistichobbies.com/prodd...?prod=TRA75054

MINUS the rock crawler look but closer to the vehicles correct stance. Like I said, it's a bit long and wide.

What do you think guys?

Jeff
Old 09-20-2014, 02:51 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With that chassis, it's going to be less of a rock-crawler and more of a rip-snorter!
Old 09-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

It is a bit long but it might not be so bad on the width. Can you figure measurements for the width of the side-rails? On mine that's about 3.125 inches. (3 1/8). Are you building a stock kubel or the Uber version? The wheelbase on my kubel at the axles is just over 5.9 inches, and maybe we should establish that right now - do you want to use standard or metric for measurements? Your link says the rear track is about 4 and a quarter, that's about a half inch wider than the stock kubel at 3.75.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:28 PM
rivetcounter

The überkübelwagen (over, about or across peoples car) version never existed it’s just a figment of imagination
Old 09-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Panther F

Actually a car I am looking to get is for the Schwimmwagen kit but if it works out I'll use it on the other 2 Kubel kits. The RTR I showed is what I'm wanting BUT knowing that the one shown will not work. Too long and too wide.

BUT, it's 4WD, a great suspension and water proof! I can spend hundreds on one but it will not be operated that much so it's just for fun.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2014, 05:36 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with a Losi Rock Crawler. I'm using the same for the Schwimm too (it's easy to waterproof).

I picked Losi for the availability of parts, and the particular one for the axle dimensions. The drive shafts had the be cut and the suspension completely reworked. It certainly isn't for the faint of heart, but it worked out well. It's not too speedy, but climbs an incline of about 45 degrees. It's done mechanically, the driver is animated, Notek and convoy light wired, but it's not painted yet. I ended up going overboard on detailing, then got caught up with other projects and shelved it. I think I'm going the same route as the Ketten with a skeleton crew (Schwimm too, why not?).

Here's the thread if you need ideas:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...ect-kubel.html
Old 09-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Panther F

Hi Jeff!

Yeah, I looked at those too and they run about 150 bucks with shipping. Tell me, they do have reverse and a variable throttle? What about the wheelbase and track width? I'm not afraid of a little work but want to keep the profile/stance stock and not have a rock crawler look.

The other I was looking at would need to be shortened and narrowed... something I do not know what entails.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2014, 06:12 PM
ausf

It comes with a fully proportional pistol grip Spektrum Tx/Rx, steering, forward reverse. You can see in the video in the threads, it's the proper height and wheel base. None of the rock crawler chassis was used, just the axles, transmission, drive shafts and springs. You can probably get just those parts from Horizon, but then need to deal with Rxs, ESCs, etc, so the $150 is a bargain, especially keeping in mind that everything is easily replaceable
(and usually no charge).

I looked at spec sheets for far too long trying to decide, but most car chassis are way too fast. You'd be flying around with zero traction. The crawler is more scale-like. The suspension height, travel, etc is entirely up to you, axle width is the most crucial factor. In the end the Losi works well.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:21 PM
ausf

In terms of pricing Horizon is one of those companies that tightly controls retail, so no one undersells anyone, but you can find deals with promos from spots like Amain Hobbies. The 'get $15 off $150 type. I'm not sure if Tower carries them.

Again, that $150 includes a hobby grade Tx/Rx, batteries and charger and lifetime support and for the most part, no question asked replacement. They've sent me motors, servos, etc. over the years for various issues, whether it was my fault or not.

Another good thing is the ESC is ready to handle lipo which is cool. This is one venue where lipo is important for added speed and space saving, so an ESC with a low voltage warning is a must.

Again, you need tp pull a cool little car out of it's shiney box and start sawing it apart.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Panther F

So guys, have you seen a set up like this before:

It IS 4WD, but we're too long and a bit too wide. Does this look like it can be modified?

Thanks guys... I am a bit in the dark on this! LOL

Jeff
Old 09-21-2014, 07:16 AM
Panther F

Question

The cars stock measurements are as follows:

Wheelbase ~ 6.25"

Rear Track ~ 4.32"

I need:

Wheelbase at or around ~ 5.50"

And to keep it under the fenders
a Tracking at or around ~ 3.75"

So what do you think guys... does THIS car look like it can be chopped up or not? The length is what puzzles me with only one motor!

Jeff
Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 AM
Panther F

Oh yeah... and I don't think there is enough off-set on the kits rims to help at all, probably at 0 at best.

Thanks for any suggestions OR direction too!

Jeff
Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 AM
ausf

Solid body pans like that will be hard to adapt.

Individuall axles can be put wherever you want:

Name:	ku1.jpg
Views:	2705
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	2033900  
Old 09-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Panther F

I see, so do you think they can be removed and modified... eliminating the pan the car comes with?

Great pictures as I believe this must be done if I use the kits tub.

Jeff
Old 09-21-2014, 08:06 AM
ausf

I don't know how the Traxxas kit connects, it's hard to tell from the photo because the driveshafts are hidden. The Losi axles are each held in place by four control arms on a socket the same size as the Tamiya elevation arms. I used the extra ones on the SU-100 elevation and traverse. Even the leftover control arms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz45kHidlbM The Losi driveshafts have both a universal on each end, but also slide into the differential and transmission that allow it to be flexible with the suspension. It's a system that works very well and allows for mods in wheelbase by changing the driveshaft length. And again, being able to buy every part separately from an entire array of suppliers gives you a bit of backup in case you need to redo something.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Panther F

Thanks for your help Jeff and everyone else too! The Losi is about 40 bucks more, reaching that 'is it worth it' price range where you still have a lot of work to do. LOL

I just thought I'd shoot for a car that had a closer to normal suspension height (like the kubels have) than spending much more money replacing parts because the Losi is a rock crawler. If that makes sense.

I'll do some more looking around and start a thread once I get my grubby little hands on something.

Thanks again guys!

Jeff
Old 09-21-2014, 12:37 PM
ausf

I did the same thing Jeff, looked around to what seemed like no end, especially to not use half of it, but you won't be able to use any body pan anyway and the rock crawler suspension gives you thinner shocks that are easier to mod. The Kubel is real tight in terms of space, fat shocks and springs will be a nightmare. Don't concerned with stock chassis height of the donor, you'll be changing it to fit if you're using the static tub, there's no way around it.

At the end of the day, I got mine (one for the Kubel and one for the Schwimm) for around $135 each.

I spent around $80 for the static kit, so just over $200 for everything (Spektrum DSMX Tx/Rx/Esc, battery and charger) with a bunch of spare stuff seemed worth it for a well functioning Kubel. The Xion Ketten was over $200 and had no Tx/Rx.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Panther F

Oh gosh... the Xion Kettenkrad. I had my finger on one and almost pulled the trigger but thought 'without electronics' price was really high and passed on it thinking I'd get it later.

Yeah... later. Now it's OOP and I goofed!

This is why I am pushing the Kubel Works Program up because I have had these kits for at least over 5 years and need to do something with them and since I need some soft skinned RC vehicles, they are NOT going to be being built to collect dust.

I have found this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/291243391286...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and have a call into asking the WB measurement as I found their car first and it's WB is at 3.9" where as the SW is at 5.50", but the truck looks a bit longer and the width measurement is at 3.72" and the SW is 3.75". The actual width and tracking 'appear' to be the same, so it might be close for what's needed.

I really want a drop over the chassis fit BUT, if I must I will transfer all the mechanics into the tub of the kits chassis.

This is what I'm shooting for. This has reverse, 4WD and the chassis 'looks' like it will accommodate the body with some SM.

So, what do YOU think? Have I overlooked something here on my quest?

Jeff
Old 09-21-2014, 02:23 PM
rivetcounter

The problem using a fast car is that once you have converted it into the Kübelwagen you will still have a fast Kübelwagen that will wheel spin everywhere but when you want the Kübelwagen to climb the smallest hill it will stall and the only way you will get to the top of the hill is by driving flat out where as the rock crawler is a lot slower and has a lot more low down speed and traction it may cost a little more but the end result will be worth it on top of that you will be much more happier driving the Kübelwagen
Old 09-21-2014, 02:38 PM
ausf

I looked at that one, the body pan is solid. Look at the chassis pics between the two:

Good news is they're both the same price from Horizon so maybe you can get the other for $109 too.

Name:	LOSB0238T1_a7.jpeg
Views:	1378
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	2034023   Click image for larger version

Name:	LOSB0242T1_a6.jpeg
Views:	2002
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2034024  
Old 09-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Panther F

So Mark... don't you think it's easier to slow a vehicle down than speed it up? Or does the car have an on-off switch and no variable throttle?

AND, I'm just concerned about the height there in the middle with the Rock Crawler. The transfer mechanism... is it short in profile? I know I can relocate the ECS and battery, but the drivetrain looks interesting?

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.