Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Mato Metal Sherman

Old 09-23-2014, 03:48 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mato Metal Sherman

The Mato metal Sherman is now available in the Far east and on route to North America.

Not sure who is responsible for this video, and I am not sure what electronics are in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYtOuX_F1Cs
Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks pretty damn cool. Duckbills, recoil, I didn't know that would be an option.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Any idea on the base price Dan? And, is there a link too?

Jeff
Old 09-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is some speculation as to a Clark bundle from Mato.. it's hinted at in eBay presales (just search Mato Sherman, you'll find them), and that Clark posted this video on his FB page..

We shall see. Interesting nonetheless.

On a more concrete note I like that they are offering several track options as-ordered.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM
DU Penetrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is good buy no, 600 USD with Clark MFU and 2.4 Hgz radio?

Looking much better than heng long,taigen, mato or tamiya?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-ORDER-Ma...item8bc21df575
Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The track recoil looks very subtle and realistic compared to the HL ones.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:14 PM
YHR

I can imagine the price is close to $600. However when you look at this you see this is a scale model, with hand grabs, opening hatches, true scale thickness on the lift rings. People will say the can get a Tamiya for this, but I think it is time to realize, other manufacturers are getting serious too. Taigen and Mato are starting to be leaders in this game. With the Mato release of a industry standard 2.4 ghz radio, I think we know where their head is at and what is coming.. Some people don't like metal as it is hard to bash, but if you want what they produce in metal then.................... Yahoo.

I still like the idea of all metal tanks

The electronics in this are interesting. It performs very similar to a Clark, and has that very loud light switch. Is it a Clark or has Mato done something themselves??

Edit

Well I guess the ebay listing clears that up. A Clark MFU. Still a good move as it is available RTR so a person won't have to do anything but add a battery and drive it.

Last edited by YHR; 09-23-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Strato50

Yea Dan, sounds like a Clark board to me! I wish they had some footage of it driving around with sound too.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM
strmnd54

This is copied from the e-bay listing:

The RTR or Ready To Run Sherman is supplied with the new Mato 2.4GHz electronics package. Including the 6 channel handset and Clark Models MFU. The usual functions of these tanks can be expected, sound, turret traverse and gun elevation and depression and almost proportional control of the tank itself.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 PM
dtslmberne

That looks pretty damn cool.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 PM
mustclime

Yea, pretty sure thats a clark....you can tell by how the sounds are a little behind the movement....both of my tk20 and tk22 do that.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:15 AM
Strato50

It's been suggested to me by club members that this is likely a bundle that only that reseller is offering.. which makes sense and is most likely what's going on.

Apologies if my assumptions were premature
Old 09-24-2014, 03:55 AM
ausf

Clark, Tx/Rx and choice of 4 different tracks.

More expensive than Tamiya's M4, but this has recoil and VVSS with duckbills (if you choose), so it certainly caught my eye.

Clark is Tamiya compatible, but I forget, are the sounds programmable as well?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:08 AM
fynsdad

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The sounds are board specific. The Clarke board has had mixed success in our club, a DBC/benidini would probibly be a better choice
Old 09-24-2014, 05:59 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok, here is my disclaimer statement before I say what I want to say, "I am not trying to flame anyone or company when I say what I am about to say."

So competition between companies has brought us yet another step closer to RTR tanks with better electronics and metal if not all metal tanks. I think Taigen has pushed Mato and now Mato has raised the bar for Taigen to respond. This even pushes companies like Asiatam to come up with products that are more competitive in price and quality. Just my thoughts, please do not flame out over this. Looks like the Christmas we have all been waiting for in our hobby!!!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:20 AM
mustclime

and pretty soon everything will cost as much as tamiya.........just saying
Old 09-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

By the time I finish fixing up a Heng Long it costs as much as a Tamiya anyway. That's just parts, not counting my hourly rate for working on it. A good tank is about $500 to $700 USD no mater how you make it happen.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:13 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The prices have creeped up from Heng Long toy pricing, but not as much as Tamiya's latest offerings. The least expensive tank from Tamiya right now is the M4 Sherman and it does not even have recoil or a radio. This new Mato Sherman, if it comes with a Tamiya compatible Clark TK22 and a 2.4 Ghz radio is ahead of the Tamiya M4 when it comes to bang for your buck comparison. Not stiring the pot just offering the facts for comparison.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:21 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by MAUS45
Not stiring the pot just offering the facts for comparison.
I agree.

This levels the M4 field completely. You can have Tamiya without a Tx/Rx for $500, you can have this for $600 (provided shipping is free, I can't tell from the preorder, if it ends up being another $150 the comparisons out the window) with Tx.

Sounds are probably a wash, but Tamiya wins on electronics. I'm not sure on suspension, the Tamiya HVSS is a solid system, but if it compares, to me the VVSS would be more useful. Tamiya tracks are excellent, but Matos options are much better. Recoil, barrel and hatches go to Mato, Tamiya's old tired mold doesn't float my boat, although I don't know if this is any better besides the hatches. There are a lot of unknowns with the Mato that would help: bearings? inside photos, etc.

If I was standing in a shop with $600 in my pocket, I'd have a hard choice, but I'd probably go Mato if the innards looked okay. That said, if I was standing in a shop with a friend who had $600 in his pocket and it was his first tank, I help him carry the Tamiya suitcase to the counter.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:30 AM
FreakyDude

This is funny, again it boils down to Tamiya vs this or that vs Tamiya.

You guys should be discussing the Tank Oh yeah I forgot, everyone is jumping the gun because no one has one and no one can review it. Personally I think the comparisons are apples and oranges so impossible to say
Old 09-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

"The M4A3 is made almost entirely aluminium to give strength while maintaining a reasonable lightness. "

THAT'S interesting - Aluminum not zinc alloy. If these folks are investing in permanent molds to injection cast aluminum parts
that's a serious commitment. Any mold is a commitment of course but a mold capable of working aluminum is a step up the ladder.

I don't see Tamiya stepping up their game a lot. Their only real move in this hobby facet is to either build models no else has yet covered
or offer kits sans electronics to try to keep costs down. When the other manufacturers begin to lead the development and bring out higher end
models of machines previously not covered then Tamiya's 1/16 line may be in real jeopardy. Tamiya stopped making them before when sales
didn't warrant it and I can see it happening again. I just don't see that much of a market for expensive tank models. There's a price point where interest
begins to drop off. You already see it with Tamiya's latest offerings and the other manufacturers will soon run into it also if $600 becomes the new $50
model. Seriously, how many of you here are going to run out and buy one of these at $600? You may spend as much overall to upgrade the garden variety HL
but you do it in increments not one big lump. If you had the option to buy Tamiya's models as parts groupings, lower hull/ running gear, upper hull and electronics
as separate groupings to spread out the cost would you do it?

This new Sherman looks interesting.

Jerry

Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Today, it's better than it ever was. I mean, almost multiple choices AND enough versions of Shermans to make ALMOST everyone happy. And the RTR's are much better too. Now we don't HAVE to get a Tamiya because most people want instant gratification but then there are those that like to build.

10 years ago there was Tamiya with their 4 tanks and then HL with their TI and Pantiger. Choices were slim and aftermarket parts were even slimmer BUT... the hobby has grown and competition is good for all of us. So lets just make sure we don't bite the hands that feed us and recognize what's laying before us.

Support ALL of them or they will disappear.

Jeff
Old 09-24-2014, 04:10 PM
no12skyline

Its been said time and time again, Tamiya remains the yardstick that everything else is judged by. They basically created the genre way back then, and even if there are pretenders to their dominance today, its hard to talk about 1/16th scale tanks without mentioning Tamiya.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:22 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by Panther F
Today, it's better than it ever was. I mean, almost multiple choices AND enough versions of Shermans to make ALMOST everyone happy. And the RTR's are much better too. Now we don't HAVE to get a Tamiya because most people want instant gratification but then there are those that like to build.

10 years ago there was Tamiya with their 4 tanks and then HL with their TI and Pantiger. Choices were slim and aftermarket parts were even slimmer BUT... the hobby has grown and competition is good for all of us. So lets just make sure we don't bite the hands that feed us and recognize what's laying before us.

Support ALL of them or they will disappear.

Jeff
I try

I have purchased

Heng Long
Tamiya
Mato
WSN
Clark
Benedini
DBC
Asiatam
Bought my first Taigen( metal T-34 chassis)
IBU2
Numerous resin castings

I think I am doing my part.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:25 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by no12skyline
Its been said time and time again, Tamiya remains the yardstick that everything else is judged by. They basically created the genre way back then, and even if there are pretenders to their dominance today, its hard to talk about 1/16th scale tanks without mentioning Tamiya.
Others are really stepping up their game though, and Tamiya is so quiet and slow to release stuff. The Hobby is certainly moving on without them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.