Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

PAYPAL question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 02:03 PM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the features of my sites back end is several choices so I thought I would ask.

As an Fyi though CC or PP info is not processed on my site, it is all processed on secure servers, Heck I don't even keep the addresses of my clients on my site or my local network. No small vendor does anymore.

Ausf Funny you say western union as I remember those days as well, sure wasn't a friendly thing to do.
rgburrill that was one of the reasons I dropped ebay myself in favor of my own site
Old 09-25-2014, 02:23 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FreakyDude
As an Fyi though CC or PP info is not processed on my site, it is all processed on secure servers, Heck I don't even keep the addresses of my clients on my site or my local network. No small vendor does anymore.

Ausf Funny you say western union as I remember those days as well, sure wasn't a friendly thing to do.
When I first started the business, there was quite a few customers who refused to use PP, they wanted to call me with a CC number because they didn't trust PP. I never understood why they'd prefer to hand me a CC number over a huge institution, but as you explained here, so did I, I never see their information except a shipping address and it's much better that way for everyone involved.

Yeah, I remember sweating a few days after my first Western Union vendor payment waiting for the shipment to arrive. Sending $4000 to Shanghai @ 2 AM. They wouldn't process it until I called and repeatedly had to assure them I knew what I was doing, but by the time I convinced them, I almost talked myself out of it...She kept saying, once I hit this button, your money is gone with no way of getting it back.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:32 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep less than $10 in my PayPal account, 'just in case' they get hit like Home Depot.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:45 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

PayPal for sure scalehobbyist.com didn't have it before i wouldn't buy anything until they didi emailed them a few times, now they have it ,
it's good to have
Old 09-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Merganser

I tried to sign up for PayPal about ten years ago, but chickened out before sending my credit card information. Within a week I got my first fake information requests which escalated to fake bills and notes that someone was using my account and could I please click on a button to provide information. I contacted PayPal who stated that this was not from them and that I should not respond to any of this. This stuff went on from time to time for about two years. I am guessing that someone may have downloaded a keystroke logger into my computer during a browser session, but I do not know of any software to detect it. I do have Norton on my computer, but I am still paranoid and gun shy. I know that millions of people use it all the time, but I am still not ready to mess with it again. jot
Old 09-25-2014, 04:48 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OH yes there are a thousand fake Paypal scammers, just don't fall for it. Paypal does not solicit input that way. I report all the fake ones I see.

Last edited by YHR; 09-25-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Even though I work for a bank ( hey, before you sling arrows I'm a software developer, I don't set policy! ) I use PayPal, even for transactions
in other currencies in stead of a bank wire. I wish I was the one who created PayPal....

Jerry
Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Rob2160

I use both PP and CC equally, depends on the vendor, PP is usually easier, just two or three clicks. No need to enter the CC info each time.

Never had an issue except in the early days of using ebay (late 90s), as my own bank would freeze the CC when they detected an "unusual" overseas purchase. But that hasn't happened for over 10 years.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:46 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing I look for online, to see if the vendor take Pay Pal!!! If they don't, I move on. Home Deport just got hit and a lot of my club members are not feeling good right now!!
Pay Pal all the way for me!!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 09-25-2014, 07:09 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

If they won't do pay-pal, I won't buy it. Period. for private purchases. Some Vendors I'll use a Credit Card.
Anytime My credit card is used I get a Text message of where, when, Who, and for how much with in 10 minutes
and most times it within 15 seconds after I use it to back up my pay pal.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:23 PM
jerryjones832

I hate paypal they suck I use my credit cards and buy or I wont buy at all
Old 09-25-2014, 07:32 PM
ausf

Originally Posted by Tanque
I wish I was the one who created PayPal....

Jerry
Then you'd be building Teslas and reuseable rockets that land...
Old 09-25-2014, 09:20 PM
TigerTankMan

Yep - PayPal all the way here to.
I have no problem using a CC for online purchases, but only really for larger retailers that don't offer PP.
PP is just to convenient and they look after buyers - they have rescued my money on 2 occasions from dodgy eBayer's.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use PayPal 90% of the time and will choose a business that takes it over one That doesn't
it just seems safer and is easy.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:00 PM
ElfinSailor

PayPal E-bays Money Makin Baby. I can remember well when they introduced it. I used to buy and sell on E-bay all the time. They introduced PayPal I was interested so I began the registration process. I managed to get as far as reading the fine print of the agreement. It is obvious to me that everybody that falls for their gambit has never bothered to read the fine print. When registering you must sign over to them the complete authority to access you full banking information with the rights to access your funds with the inclusion that if they see fit they have the right to freeze the entirety of your assets for as long as they want. If you are a registered PayPal user you agreed to this. In the past I have experienced multiple occurrences of Identity theft after making online purchases and no longer make any purchases directly through the internet. As I live in a very remote part of the country 95% of my purchasing is contacted via the internet. If a seller only accepts PayPal (really stupid) I will not buy from them. If they only sell online with no way of personally contacting them I treat them like a very hot potato. When E-bay established the policy that all E-bay transactions must utilize PayPal I immediately went to the hot potato policy. I shop online more than most. All my purchases are made by direct phone communication and paid for via Postal Money Order Or by direct debit card exchange which is protected by my banking institution. If you doubt what can happen to your funds talk with Mike at I Be Seeing You RC.

Last edited by ElfinSailor; 09-25-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Corrected grammer
Old 09-26-2014, 03:09 AM
VOLUNTEER

How many of you have gotten this message from PP?

"Before we can offer you certain products and services, federal regulations
require that we collect specific information to verify your identity. This
information includes your name, address, date of birth, and National Tax ID
or Social Security Number. We haven't been able to verify your identity
using the information you provided, so we need some additional
documentation from you.

Until this issue is resolved, you'll be able to log in to your PayPal
account but you might not be able to add money to it or use some of your
account features."

They are also asking for a photo ID.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:20 AM
YHR

Report those to Paypal immediately. As I mentioned earlier the internet is full of paypal scammers. They build websites, use the paypal logo etc.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:38 AM
ausf

You can't blame PayPal for scammers any more than you can blame Bob for his Phillipines vacation.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:13 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use paypal, it certainly makes my life easier when a site takes it as all I need to enter is a password in order to pay. However, my CC card is protected just as well, and I won't hesitate to use a trusted site that doesn't have paypal ( amazon, tower hobbies, horizon, etc... )

Smaller sites I do tend to research a bit more, but them not having paypal wouldn't stop me.

European sites commonly request direct wire transfers from your bank, and I've learned that they have some sort of built in fraud protection so even though its a wire transfer, they are protected should they not receive a product. Since that is different than how U.S. banks work, if I'm trying to order from Europe I'll usually contact them for an alternate method of payment, as a wire transfer from the U.S. means your money is gone... if they don't give me other alternatives I'll usually buy elsewhere. but thats about the only situation that will stop me from ordering something online.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:12 AM
cjray
My Feedback: (25)

Paypal is no more expensive than any credit card per say. CC's charge the seller a fee, the amount depends on the card, and Paypal does the same, inline with what most CC company charges. It's part of the cost of doing business.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Man I haven't received any scammer emails since the whole Nigeria prince with your last name scam that hit about 10 years ago. This makes me glad I use Linux, SSL, ad blockers, no script, java blockers, and a lot more. I only run Windows to play my games, otherwise I tri-boot back into Mint/Ubuntu. It just seems so much safer. I know no system is safe, but it sure helped me over the years. I visit TONS of chinese sites in my job and I make at least 2 online purchases a week from my own personal accounts (yay Sunday delivery!) and I have never had an issue. My girlfriend once had an issue after the big Sony leak but our bank refunded us in about an hour.
What is interesting is PP has a guarantee and my bank does too, so if I link one of my accounts to my PP then I have double safety. I just make sure not to put too much into that account at a time just in case.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:40 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by steph69
never had any problems just using my visa debit card,
Guess U haven't shopped at Home Depot here in the USA wth in the last year or so. Some one got into the Home Depot system and those some using debit cards have had their bank accounts drained.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:44 AM
tailskid

I'm one of those guys who shopped at Home Depot and yes, the bank has a 'warning' on my account, but hasn't issued a new card yet (that will be the third 'new' card this year if they issue it)......
Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

The thing I dont like about pay pay is the direct link to your bank account. i have heard also where some one has a dispute and the person/vender selling something refuses the refund. People have said they are out that money and product now. How can that be?

I use PP a lot also but mainly because of the PP credit thing. I have a separate checking account linked to paypal. so when I want to transfer money in to PP i use that account.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:08 PM
tailskid

Good idea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.