Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Gearbox bearings...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:22 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Gearbox bearings...?

Hey tankers,
Just by chance, IF I could get some sets of bearings in stock would you guys be interested? I could possibly stock both the small and big bearings needed for gearboxes, but I would like to get some feedback from you guys. These would be direct replacements for the bushings on the reduction gears and the final drive shaft. Just a yes or no would be fine Thanks!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:36 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be, as many gearboxes as are out there, I assume you'd be able to keep track of what gearbox needs what bearings?

Save the hassle of trying to compare all the various bearings out there, finding a vendor that will sell in the right quantities, doesn't charge a bunch for shipping, etc.

I personally think flanged bearings that went in the metal chassis for the final drive shaft to be a good idea too. Overkill of course.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:39 AM
Imex-Erik

Yes, all the gearboxes would use only two bearings, one for the reduction gears and one for the final drive shaft. The final drive in most all our gearboxes are bearings, but some like the 3:1 zinc alloy gearboxes could use one. The brass gearboxes are another story however, those are a separate thing. I am working on improving these before I bring them back to market for you guys.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:48 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

Problem for me is (and no idea who else is in the same boat) that when I bought the gearboxes for the StuG III, it was so long ago, and so many different products are on the market, I have no clue what I've got anymore. (ok, the order sheet MIGHT be in my email somewhere) I know some of you more avid guys can ID gearboxes by sight, but I certainly can't. If you sold bearings based on what gearbox the consumer had, that would make anyone in the same positions life easier.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:56 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I would use them if you can match them up to the gearboxes that are out there. Like dyeager535 said, it would make things easier if we know which gearboxes they would work with. Example, I have some of the pot metal gearboxes and some of the steel gearboxes that I would like to add them to.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:43 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by dyeager535
Problem for me is (and no idea who else is in the same boat) that when I bought the gearboxes for the StuG III, it was so long ago, and so many different products are on the market, I have no clue what I've got anymore. (ok, the order sheet MIGHT be in my email somewhere) I know some of you more avid guys can ID gearboxes by sight, but I certainly can't. If you sold bearings based on what gearbox the consumer had, that would make anyone in the same positions life easier.
Oh yea, I'm good like that I can identify by picture, toss me one up and let us see what you got.
Originally Posted by MAUS45
I would use them if you can match them up to the gearboxes that are out there. Like dyeager535 said, it would make things easier if we know which gearboxes they would work with. Example, I have some of the pot metal gearboxes and some of the steel gearboxes that I would like to add them to.
So far on the ones I have tested all the zinc alloy and steel gearbox shafts are the same so one size SHOULD fit all, or at least all we currently have.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:45 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am assuming you are talking about stocking bearings for the HL style stamped steel cases?

After my experience with the Hobby raw boxes that are all bearinged up, my answer is yes. They make a world of difference.

My Leo 2 uses these. They are so free wheeling that the tank rolled down a hill with no throttle input. It stands to reason that this smoothess equates to better running and longer battery life. For a battler it means better movement after damage is taken,

IF these bearings were packged up as a set it would allow people to retofit their old boxes, both the standard gear sets which some people refer to as 3:1 and the confusing 3:1 that some people refer to as 4:1 sets. Not sure who started this 4:1 moniker, but is sure has made it confusing.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:50 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good idea.

It would be nice if you can say that all the HL style gearboxes would take the same bearing kit to replace the bushings. I tend to think that is the case.

The gear shafts pretty much all have the same bushings so those will most likely get the same bearing.

The only hassle I can imagine is the final drive shaft... there might be different sizes but even that's unlikely.

Last edited by Strato50; 09-25-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:03 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by YHR
I am assuming you are talking about stocking bearings for the HL style stamped steel cases?

After my experience with the Hobby raw boxes that are all bearinged up, my answer is yes. They make a world of difference.

My Leo 2 uses these. They are so free wheeling that the tank rolled down a hill with no throttle input. It stands to reason that this smoothess equates to better running and longer battery life. For a battler it means better movement after damage is taken,

IF these bearings were packged up as a set it would allow people to retofit their old boxes, both the standard gear sets which some people refer to as 3:1 and the confusing 3:1 that some people refer to as 4:1 sets. Not sure who started this 4:1 moniker, but is sure has made it confusing.
Yes they would come in a package of course, most likely for the 4:1 type, that way the 3:1 guys wouldn't be left out. Yes I do agree the ratio thing is kind of strange, I use the term 4:1 reduction gears to make it a bit easier. If I calculated up each gearbox and presented it I would get a lot more questions.
Originally Posted by Strato50
Good idea.

It would be nice if you can say that all the HL style gearboxes would take the same bearing kit to replace the bushings. I tend to think that is the case.

The gear shafts pretty much all have the same bushings so those will most likely get the same bearing.

The only hassle I can imagine is the final drive shaft... there might be different sizes but even that's unlikely.
I cannot say ALL, just the ones I have to test. The gear shafts (48mm and 58mm) are all the same for the zinc and steel gearboxes. Some gearboxes like the 3:1 zinc have a bushing on the inside of the gearshaft which cannot be replaced without removing the pinned in gear. On these you would not be able to replace the bushing without some work. If you were to do this I would suggest the steel gear versions anyways.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:15 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Erik
Yes, would love to be able to add bearings to the HL steel gearboxes as an easy retrofit. Have 5 sets & was not looking forward to replacing them with the new bearinged GB's.

Mal
PS Did you get my email?
Old 09-25-2014, 02:47 PM
FreakyDude

Post a pic, it will take all of one little peek to tell you what you have

Originally Posted by dyeager535
Old 09-25-2014, 03:06 PM
Dusty Steppes

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Hey tankers,
Just by chance, IF I could get some sets of bearings in stock would you guys be interested? I could possibly stock both the small and big bearings needed for gearboxes, but I would like to get some feedback from you guys. These would be direct replacements for the bushings on the reduction gears and the final drive shaft. Just a yes or no would be fine Thanks!
Yessssssssssssssss!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:46 PM
gsjloynesyj

The brass gearboxes are another story however, those are a separate thing.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:04 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by gsjloynesyj
The brass gearboxes are another story however, those are a separate thing.
Those are currently discontinued until my improved version comes out. I will update you when they are finished. No ETA yet but they will be nice.
Originally Posted by afv aficionado
Hi Erik
Yes, would love to be able to add bearings to the HL steel gearboxes as an easy retrofit. Have 5 sets & was not looking forward to replacing them with the new bearinged GB's.

Mal
PS Did you get my email?
Yes I did, I had to locate a M41 chassis. I'll be contacting you soon today about the screws.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:22 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Yes I do agree the ratio thing is kind of strange, I use the term 4:1 reduction gears to make it a bit easier. If I calculated up each gearbox and presented it I would get a lot more questions.
I also agree that it's strange to say the least, so I have an idea - What we now call 3:1 and 4:1 are only different because the 4:1 has that extra gearshaft at the pinion on the motor, making 4 gearshafts instead of 3, so what if, instead of calling them 3:1 and 4:1 (totally inaccurate as far as gear ratio goes), we call them 3-shaft and 4-shaft gearboxes?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:14 AM
YHR

The gearboxes from Heng long were considered Standard gears. 3:1 came about because when the extra gear was added the ratio, and final shaft output speed was reduced by 3. Forum member Perry designed the reduced gear set, and referred to them as 3:1 because of the relationship to the original gears.

Someone then started calling the standard gear sets 3:1 and the extra shaft gear box 4:1 loosing all touch with the gear ratios. This is where all the confusion started. 4:1 gears are exactly the same as the 3:1

That Pandora's box is open now so your idea of relating this number to the shafts involved is at least sensible and accurate, and may help clear up the confusion. I would hate to think someone spent money on 4:1 gears thinking they were getting something different then the 3:1
Old 09-26-2014, 05:14 AM
YHR

double post
Old 09-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Green Amphibian

Bearings for the steel geared bent steel frame 3:1's sound good to me.

Herman
Old 09-27-2014, 12:14 AM
philipat

Yes...I'd be interested. Would also like some to retrofit the "older" brass GBs. You say you're coming out with new ones, but for many of us it would be more cost effective to put bearings in the boxes we have and get the improved thing on future builds.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 AM
kizwan

Anyone know what is the exact size/measurement of the bearings for HL steel gears (and the final drive shaft)?
Old 09-27-2014, 08:45 PM
kizwan

Originally Posted by kizwan
Anyone know what is the exact size/measurement of the bearings for HL steel gears (and the final drive shaft)?
Anyone?
Old 09-28-2014, 06:30 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by kizwan
Anyone?
Define "exact". I could measure it (the shaft OD) here with my ten-dollar-harbor-freight calipers, or I could take it to work and mic it with a mititoyo 0-1, but about .0002 - .0003 is the closest I can get to exact. I've swapped gears on these shafts before and then I found the stock press fit to be very accurate, just a couple tenths (a tenth is .0001) difference between the OD of the shaft and the ID of the gear. In my business we call that "a light press fit". So again, how close do you have to be?

Last edited by Max-U52; 09-28-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:54 AM
kizwan

Originally Posted by maxu52
Define "exact". I could measure it (the shaft OD) here with my ten-dollar-harbor-freight calipers, or I could take it to work and mic it with a mititoyo 0-1, but about .0002 - .0003 is the closest I can get to exact. I've swapped gears on these shafts before and then I found the stock press fit to be very accurate, just a couple tenths (a tenth is .0001) difference between the OD of the shaft and the ID of the gear. In my business we call that "a light press fit". So again, how close do you have to be?
I just want to change the bushing to bearings if it's possible. I thought this has been done before & was the reason why I'm asking the exact measurement of the bearings that can fit in the HL steel gearboxes. I don't know whether it's "a light press fit" or else but I was hoping it's easy to install, without modding.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Max-U52

Why didn't ya say so?

That's easy. The answer is yes, you can swap the bushings for bearings with no mods. Just pop out the bushings and the bearings fit right into the same hole, and the axle shafts are all the same diameter so they'll go in either the bushings or the bearings. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work. I imagine every once in a while you get a shaft that's a little big or something like that, but it's usually a direct replacement.

EDIT: You do have to press the gear off the shaft to change the bearing, though. If you have trouble with that PM me and maybe I can make a little video showing how to do it. It's not hard. I think Erik might be making a video like that, and that would be cool cuz he's much better at making videos than I am.

Last edited by Max-U52; 09-28-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:28 AM
kizwan

What is the measurement (inside diameter × outside diameter × width) for the bearings then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.