Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Audio Exciters

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:55 AM
hiramekisama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YHR
As has been mentioned the best result might be a combination. I can't comment on the 25 watt exciter as I have not tested it yet. The bass response is great on the Exciters, but I agree the volume might not be as loud. I was hoping the 25 watt exciters being driven by an amp would help that. How many volts are you running to your amp. ? 12 votls to the amp will make a world of difference.

However to me loud isn't the only measure of performance. Quality of sound and the throaty throttle response is more impressive then a blarring tank. Unfortunatley Video does not capture this well.

But once I get my 25 watt exciters I will put together a video to show the results. I will place a glass of water in the tank to try and demonstrate the difference in bass response.
I'm running it on 12V. You're right on using it as a combination with conventional speaker. I was hoping to replace my speaker completely. Still a cool experiment.

But to anyone who is relying on this to replace their conventional speaker, bare in mind that loudness might not be as what you want.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:55 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still am waiting on my larger transducers, so no progress to report on those

I definite improvement on bass response from these little guys, but in trying to get more volume I have cooked 4 transducers. The ones I am using are only rated for 3 watts, and I guess they don't like more. They just up and stop working. .Higher rated transducers should be here this week I hope.

Cheers

Dan
Old 10-16-2014, 05:21 AM
YHR

I got my 25 watt exciters in.

Good news These things shake.
Bad news These things shake

It appears as if this exciters really provide bass response, but to get adequate volume out of them you need a good size surface.. When I applied these to a full piece of foam board, the quality and volume was great. I could not duplicate this in the tank. Applied directly to the tank hull there was just too much vibration. SO to get the volume out of them you need to go with the biggest foam board surface you can fit in a tank, but even that just gets you to the volume of a traditional speaker, .

So the smaller exciters driven with 1 watt are on par with a stock speaker for volume. I could not get the volume out of them to match a traditional upgrade speaker and amp combo. They do deliver a much better bass response.

So this still have merit in a tank with tight quarters.

I am going to use them along with a traditional speaker. The rumble they deliver is superior to a traditional speaker. On idle they deliver a deep throaty sound . I am going to use the smaller ones attached to the bottom of the hull to deliver this..

Last edited by YHR; 10-16-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:40 PM
cb671

That is similar to what they used to provide Low Frequency/Bass Vibrations in the Car Audio Setups that mount under the seats a few years back....though it didn't make a big splash...I'm curious to hear one on a Tank.

Last edited by cb671; 10-16-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Augustus1967

Finally got an Order in for some of these Exciters...

Some to play with in Tanks, and some to play with in a Few (1/32, 1/30 and 1/24) PT Boats and a 1/200 Bismarck builds...

Still working on getting my Head around how the Ohm's add up (Series/Parallel), and how to set up the Arrays...
But testing will begin when the Speakers land on my doorstep...
Most likely with a 1/32 Lindburg PT Boat Build...

-gus
Old 01-15-2015, 08:23 PM
YHR

These were not the holy grail I thought they were for volume, but they sure do beef up the bass response. Ideally you need to use these in combination with a regular speaker. I found the higher powered ones just shook the heck out of the tank too much.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Augustus1967

Yes Sir,

I hear ya...

I'm planning to use them along with Conventional Speakers...
Even more curious to see how they will perform in the Boats.

-gus
Old 01-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Old Fatman

Hi YHR:

Great review. Modern technology seems to escape me and I'm always grateful to those such as yourself with the inclination and talent to explore what it has to offer.

Don't know if it's any interest or not, but one of my model railroad friends turned me on to a speaker on the SoundTraxx website that has a 300 Hz to 5k Hz response. I don't know a lot about the speaker ranges but that seems incredibly low to me. I thought it might be somewhere in the "vibrate your treads off" range and might be useful to augment an audio exciter installation, or where one isn't possible. If it's any interest at all it's in a section called Accessories > Speakers > "Speakers for SoundTraxx Sound Systems". Sorry I can never get the internet address blue type thingy to work.

Cheers,
Old Fatman
Old 01-22-2015, 12:12 PM
wright 971

Hi Dan We did a test quite a few years ago using transducers to shake test items fitted with accelerometer's to measure the structure and test for fatigue. We found the best way was as you suggested mount on rubber mountings in the corners or suspend on wires from the corners ,this allows the vibration to do its work .

There is one place no one has thought of placing the transducer the rear plate this is usually free ,normally plastic it might be a good place ,maybe not as big as the bottom but it doesn't have suspension or gearboxes or electrics to worry about.

regards pete