Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Distraction Therapy, RC Tank style

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Distraction Therapy, RC Tank style

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Dave_T.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distraction Therapy, RC Tank style

Hello all, I'm Dave, pleased to meet you.

I'm a 54 yr old retired/disabled industrial electrician living in Phoenix AZ. My brother, retired US Air Force, recently got us both Heng Long tanks for my birthday. He got the PZ IV and I got the PZ III. We drive around in his large garage and blast each other with the airsoft guns. Both have S&S, metal gears, metal tracks and both idler and drive wheels are metal. Zinc alloy I believe. The Tx's both have the trim tabs for the right hand stick so we can make the tanks go straight.

All is good, so I figure I'll buy myself the Tiger I because it seems to have the most after market upgrades available.
I ordered it from Amazon and tried to make sure I had all the metal upgrades like our first two tanks. The prob is that the idler on this tank is plastic that's painted silver and the Tx trims are all fakes, Everything else is what I expected. TPA Store was the seller. Just wanted to let anyone who plans to buy in the future to check out these two probs. I filled the plastic idler with JB Weld to make it last a while longer until I get a metal one. They do have brass bushings at least. The attachment point on the lower hull for the idler is a very weak point so I beefed it up with JB Weld inside and out, it had already started to crack on one side. the gray JB blends in well. I guess I'll have to upgrade to the 2.4 Gig Rx/Tx set to resolve the trim tab problem.

We also disconnected the two wires that go to the airsoft gun, this effectively disables the annoying recoil effect when firing BB's from the left stick. You can still recoil if you want by pressing the button by the machine gun firing button. I thought this effect put undue stress on the drive system. Metal Tiger tracks are massive.

I bought us 3 Tenergy 3800 mAh NiMh batteries and chargers. They last a really long time. So let the upgrades continue and soon I'll take some pics ,if my health permits, and do some painting/weathering. thx for reading an old derelict's rambling.

PS all 3 tanks have never thrown a track

PPS we bought Hubsan X4 quadcopters and they are a blast. cheap and durable

- Dave
Old 09-26-2014, 04:54 PM
FreakyDude

welcome to the world of Tanking Dave, What you got was typical problems with a Heng Long tank, sellers that don't explain the product clearly enough and a tank that has documented problems. Search through the archives on RCU as all of the issues you are about to see have already happened to someone and there is some ingenius fixes on these pages.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:07 AM
CountChocula

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Dave,

You and your brother should join us at our next DAK event.

Check out our club site at http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK2/DAK_HOME.html

Dave
Old 09-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Dave_T.

thx for your kind words, I will do that and will try some things as my skills and tool collection permits. My wife and I live over by Lookout Mountain. We'll be out of state for a few weeks. Thx for the invite. -Dave

Last edited by Dave_T.; 09-27-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Augustus1967

Yes Sir,

Welcome Aboard...

I have had Disappointing results ordering Tanks from Amazon in particular.

I've had Much better results ordering from Several sites that are either Dedicated to Armor, or have an Armor Bent.

Here are a few I would Recommend:

Artistic Hobbies: Texas Based, and On This Forum, Taigen and Tamiya Tanks, and quite a bit of Upgrade items...
(And they Drive RC Tanks).

Battle Armor: US Based, and On This Forum, DBC3 and Benedini (Electronics Upgrades) and some Parts...

Immortal Hobbies: Canada Based, and On This Forum, Clark (Electronics Upgrades) and Parts...

MatoMart: Canada, Heng Long, Mato and Toro Tanks and a pretty full range of Mato and Heng Long Replacement and Upgrade Parts.

IMEXErik: Florida Based, On This Forum, Great Guy for Taigen Gear, and Help with Taigen Tanks,
(Drives RC Tanks).

There are more, but These are the guys that I have dealt with most... Good Folks All...

Good Luck, and Keep On Tanking!

-gus
Old 09-28-2014, 04:14 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

There's also http://www.rctankcommand.com/ run by thecommander on here. Whatever you buy on etoarmour.com they can supply as well.