Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

M4A3 barrel elevation issue

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

M4A3 barrel elevation issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 07:25 AM
Screags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M4A3 barrel elevation issue

Hi,

Two years ago (2017) i bought an Heng Long M4A3 sherman that i wanted to turn into an m4a3(76). Which i did with the Nick aguilar's 3d printed t23 turret and had no problem as long as it was just a few wires to strip and reconnect. But recently I moved in another town and wanted to turn the tank into a more powerful sherman and i thought about an early model M50 Isherman (or super sherman as you want), and i couldn't find the old stock heng long turret. So i ordered an upper hull with electronics (turret and all the wires) from heng-long-panzer.de.
When i put it on the lower hull everything worked find except for gun barrel elevation, so i checked with a voltmeter the bb gun/elevation 3 pin plug to see if any wires inside the turret was cut off or something but everything was fine. I did the same on the upper hull board that connect the 3 pin to the 8 pin plug and everything's fine to. So i checked the 8 pin cable and again no dead wires.
This is where it becomes too tricky for me so if anybody have an idea i'm open to any suggestions thanks.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

HL recently changed their gun barrel elevation so that it goes up and down at will and no longer has to cycle all the way through. If you got a newer HL turret and your original tank used the old system I don't think the two will work together.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:11 PM
armourguy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading the posts and gave it some time to think. I remember when I was working on my sherman pershing hybrid I ran into a similar issue. Like what Crius said HL recently upgraded their electronics and the two systems are not compatible. On my build I used the hull of the new system but the turret was an older unit. It's been awhile and I'm a little hazy but I remember I had to make a change to the wiring on the turret to adapt it to work with the one in the hull. Regrettably I don't recall what I changed or where I changed it but it was fairly easy from what I can recall and after the mod the system worked like a charm. Hopefully someone else can chime in here with something more substantial.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:40 AM
Screags

Originally Posted by Crius
HL recently changed their gun barrel elevation so that it goes up and down at will and no longer has to cycle all the way through. If you got a newer HL turret and your original tank used the old system I don't think the two will work together.
Actually the hull i bought has a turret with with the cycle up and down just like the first one but thanks for replying.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:42 AM
Screags

Originally Posted by armourguy
After reading the posts and gave it some time to think. I remember when I was working on my sherman pershing hybrid I ran into a similar issue. Like what Crius said HL recently upgraded their electronics and the two systems are not compatible. On my build I used the hull of the new system but the turret was an older unit. It's been awhile and I'm a little hazy but I remember I had to make a change to the wiring on the turret to adapt it to work with the one in the hull. Regrettably I don't recall what I changed or where I changed it but it was fairly easy from what I can recall and after the mod the system worked like a charm. Hopefully someone else can chime in here with something more substantial.
Don't worry it's already a big step forward for me to know that it can be done because i was a little bit worried about it so thanks a lot.