Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Please help trouble shoot a few minor problems with my Torro Tiger II (Erik?)

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Please help trouble shoot a few minor problems with my Torro Tiger II (Erik?)

Old 10-05-2014, 09:06 AM
TexasTank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help trouble shoot a few minor problems with my Torro Tiger II (Erik?)

I've only had this tank a short time, I really love it. Its the 90% metal version with Airsoft. I'm having 2 problems that I can't get figured out.

1. The recoil quit working. I checked all of the connections and they looked fine. I did not take the turret apart. I got into a wreck when I did that with my Tiger 1. Could I have the wiring connected to the wrong slot on the mother board? I did have some wiring come out but I'm pretty sure I got it back in the right spot.

2. Smoke system. Please see the attached picture. The smoke system used to work. There are 2 issues. When I take the top off of the box that holds the oil and gauze, I get smoke coming out of the box, but it will not go out of the rubber tubes leading to the exhaust. I've checked, there is no blockage. Second, as you can see in the picture, the part I'll call the "plunger" that moves back and fourth will not stay up (horizontal) when I stop the motor. I have to get in there an pry it up into the correct horizontal position. I've marked the plunger with white lines showing how it lays. I can't think of a cause or a fix.

3. I still love the IMEX tanks but I'm already going to have to send my Tiger 1 to Erik for repairs and part replacement and now this Tiger II problem. These tanks are literally brand new and cost this working stiff quite a bit of money and begging to my wife. I hope it will be an easy fix.

Regards,
Joel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TIger2smoke.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	2037386  

Last edited by TexasTank; 10-05-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:41 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Between you me and the gate post, the best thing you can do with the smoke system is throw it away. They are problematic, and a constant source of trouble.

When you are talking recoil are you talking track recoil or barrel recoil?

What you are experiencing is the same thing all of us veterans have experienced with Heng Long tanks, and why we have formed some of the opinions we have Your issues are well known and you should not feel you got a bad one. Some of these components on these tanks are just trouble.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:40 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joel, please don't take this the wrong way, it is only meant for you to get the most out of the hobby.

I'm not familar with Taigen, I've never even seen one in person. I'm sure Erik will take care of you since IMEX seems absolutely dedicated to customer service.

All of that said, this hobby requires the ability to maintain and repair, there's no avoiding it. Sending these things back and forth is too costly and time consuming for both the customer and supplier. It's one thing if you receive a cracked hull or DOA tank, by all means it should be replaced, no questions asked, but otherwise they are an assembly of components and should be treated as such. I'm sure Erik can talk you through diagnosis and send you new units to replace if necessary, but it would be better for all involved if you can install yourself. Every moving part is easily removed and replaced.

My Tamiya JS-2 was dumped off a table moments before it's first battle, breaking the upper hull hinge, bending the lower hull at the idler and jamming the recoil. That's over $800 of tank and no way was Tamiya going to take it back. The MFU/DMD are lifetime, but otherwise I'm on my own. Fortunately, 5 minutes with a needle nose and bent parts were bent back and I was battling right away. Very few times have I returned from battle without some repair needed, however minor, stuff happens, even with the expense tanks.

Dan's spot on regarding smokers. Best course of action is to carefully remove, open the nearest window and throw it as far as you can.

I hope you get this sorted out as soon as possible and back running.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:41 PM
TexasTank

Well, that's a bummer. The most expensive tank on their site labeled as "professional". It's the track recoil that quit working. I have faith in Erik he'll be a help. I was fixing to order the Sherman or Stug but I must get this resolved first. Thanks.

Joel
Old 10-05-2014, 12:48 PM
TexasTank

Thanks ausf, I do appreciate your comments. I'm ready to repair myself, solder gun is ready, but I just need an idea on where to start. That's like for the life of me I can't figure out why I can get smoke when I take the oil box lid off but it won't go to the tubes. Has to be that plunger that won't stay in place. Not sure where to begin on the recoil, but this stuff shouldn't be breaking down with less than an hours run time on a new unit.

regards,
Joel
Old 10-05-2014, 01:01 PM
YHR

Chances are the recoil is a quick wiring fix. You mentioned that some of the plugs came out and you put them back. Make sure you have the these in the right socket.

I don't own a Taigen, but I think the wiring set up is similar to a Heng Long. I have circled the two five pin plugs. Make sure they are plugged in correctly. If you got these mixed up then you would have trouble.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A9900047_orig.jpg
Views:	897
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	2037423  
Old 10-05-2014, 01:14 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking you meant barrel recoil. Track recoil is part of the board, I'm sure Erik will figure it out and hook you up, the board is not something anyone should be expected to fix, just change out.

In terms of smokers, I tried a few a while back andit was never worth the effort, whether vapor lock in the hoses or a bad element, it was always an issue. There's a reason why Benedini's unit is a couple hundred bucks, it's works and it's reliable. For these cheap systems, there's only one guy here who has figured out, Strmnd54(sp?). He's like the smoke whisperer, but any resemblance between his units and HLs is purely coincidental.

Besides, burning oil for smoke isn't the greatest idea on many levels, least of which is introducing the enemy of every paint finish in a small, leaky reservoir that may or may not get very hot. All for something that is completely invisible in the slightest wind.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:46 PM
TexasTank

Hey guys, I was wrong, its both barrel and track recoil that are not working. Any ideas? It does still shoot BBs
Old 10-05-2014, 02:50 PM
TexasTank

Success! It was a wiring issue, the barrel and track recoil work now. Cheap or not, I'm going to get that damned smoke system to work. Thanks guys!

Joel
Old 10-05-2014, 04:52 PM
YHR

Good to hear you got it worked out.

Re Smoke.

I have played around with these things for hours with only minimal success that last for minutes. I finally decided I was not going to touch these, as all I ever ended up with is oily hands and wasted hours that I could have been doing something else. When you do make progress, make sure you share it with us.

Cheers
Old 10-05-2014, 05:16 PM
TexasTank

All issues resolved. Got the thing to smoke like a freight train. What had happened is that the rubber plunger had come loose and was stuck against the back. It looked as though it was suppose to be there with all the while it should have been connected to the white plastic arm that moves back and fourth. Took apart as little as possible, got the gear arm, plunger handle and black plunger out, super glued it back to the handle and we have smoke! Thanks for your offer Max!
Old 10-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Max-U52

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

How well did the super glue work and what kind? I've noticed that the fit on those pistons has changed recently. They used to be too loose and you'd lose smoke in the tank, but now it seems like they tightened them up but got them a little TOO tight. I've had three of them do that recently. The black boxes from HL smokers work the best for that part, but I hate giving up the clear plastic. I was thinking about a small screw and washer to hold the rubber piece on, but if your glue is working I'll try that, so please let me know.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by TexasTank
Success! It was a wiring issue, the barrel and track recoil work now. Cheap or not, I'm going to get that damned smoke system to work. Thanks guys!

Joel
Wait a minute - barrel recoil? In airsoft? Please clarify, Joel.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:31 PM
TexasTank

Super glue worked great and instantly. I cleaned off all the oil first of course. But I used good old American Gorilla Super Glue.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:34 PM
TexasTank

Ah, you are right. My bad. No barrel recoil on this model, just tracks. Had to fire off a few rounds in my office to be sure.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad you got it all figured out, I feel like crap for not being the first to help but I appreciate my fellow tankers for the help! You guys are the best! I'll be back tomorrow sometime, hopefully I can get to the office before closing time!
Old 10-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Green Amphibian

If you are having plunger problems try taking it out and replacing it with a small computer fan. You will have to drill a larger hole to get more air in, but it works.

Herman
Old 10-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by TexasTank
Super glue worked great and instantly. I cleaned off all the oil first of course. But I used good old American Gorilla Super Glue.
Thanks, Joel, I'll give that gorilla glue a try. I use their wood glue on my buildings. Like I said, I've had that smoker problem a few times lately. If you look closely at the photo you posted you can see that's the problem. I really like the imex smoke units, though, and for ten bucks they're a pretty good deal. Norm has shown me a few mods that really improve performance.

Now think about this. You just successfully completed a repair without having to send the tank back to Erik. Those guys were right, Joel, you have to work on these things. Now you know you can, and before you know it stuff like gearbox swaps will be old news to you. It's really great to see you getting a start.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:39 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

JOEL if you promise not to tell, some of us get more fun stripping down and working on our tanks than we do actually using them. shaun

Last edited by jarndice; 10-05-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:21 PM
Merganser

Default Tip from an electronic challanged tanker

The first thing I learned is that I can not remember where each wire goes. I now use a large set of colored sharp tip "Sharpies" to mark every connector with a different color on one side so I can get them back correctly and then take a picture before taking things apart. The color will wipe off, but a little does stay in place if you keep your hands oil free. I also have made a couple of short wooden dowel push sticks carved like screwdriver blades to seat the plugs. I am sure that the experienced tankers have a whole list of tricks they use to help fumble fingered people like me. Hope that helps. jot
Old 10-06-2014, 03:36 AM
welchgc

Originally Posted by jarndice
JOEL if you promise not to tell, some of us get more fun stripping down and working on our tanks than we do actually using them. shaun
Agreed. The tanks can be finicky, but working on them is half the fun....my spare part/graveyard collection keeps growing which I do not mind.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:57 AM
TexasTank

Yea, you guys got me there, it was a blast working on it, even more so since everything fixed. Sadly my Tiger 1 will be going to Erik. When I was attempting to work on the airsoft system I pulled out several different single wires. I'm lost. Plus, he is putting in a newer Airsoft kit and adding the black steel gears to it.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm a pro at fixing them by now Shouldnt take me more than 5 min or so to fix the wiring issues and less than another 5 to install your gearboxes while I'm at it! I'll get it fixed so fast you wont know it was gone hehe. Oh and I REALLY enjoy fixing stuff. I think I spend more time fixing and building than operating on purpose! Tinkering is just too much fun.