Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Using Magnets for top deck

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Using Magnets for top deck

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:22 PM
1sgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Magnets for top deck

Hi All,
I have some questions on using magnets to secure the top deck. Do you use a magnet for both the lower and upper posts? Or a single magnet, they use the original screw in the opposite post. What seems to be the best? I would also imagine that you need to remove material from the posts equal to the thickness of the magnets. Understandably, that is a bit scary for me to do the first time around. What is the best approach to ensure you don't remove to much of the post. Lastly, what type of glue do you use to secure the magnet, epoxy??

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Old 10-05-2014, 01:04 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I trim the post down in size and glue a magnet on the bottom post.On the top post I use a nail with a large flat top. I glue this in as well.

Last edited by YHR; 10-05-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:28 PM
1sgt

Originally Posted by YHR
I trim the most down in size and glue a magnet on the bottom post.On the top post I use a nail with a large flat top. I glue this in as well.
Hmm, didn't think of using a nail.

Jim
Old 10-05-2014, 02:13 PM
FreakyDude

I get magnets the size of the hole in the post, Neodynium magnets are the strongest. Super glue into the hole, magnet in after it. I drill the upper post and do the same. The 2 magnets are super strong and it is pretty tough to pull the hull off.

For Tiger feifel cleaners I put a magnet in the hose end, I pop a small screw into the feifel cleaner end, wrap it with cloth hockey stick tape and weather it. quick disconnect and it looks a million times better than just a plastic tube.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0374_1.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	4.56 MB
ID:	2037454  
Old 10-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1/4" rare earth magnets sit right inside the hole that the upper hull posts fit into. They you just have to trim 2 magnets thickness off the length of the top post and glue another magnet...

I do this to most of my HengLong hull tanks, it's easy and reliable.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Drew67

Outstanding idea, could someone post a pic. of what/how you did it...please.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:58 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing that works really good is cupboard latches. I used this on my Leo instead of the post magnets. It provides a nice snap latch fit. The amount of force required is adjustable and the ones I bought where made out of nickel. Very capable for holding a tank together.

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2014, 05:14 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

One of the things I have always had trouble with on my TIGER 1 is keeping the sprocket centre cap in place without using threadlock or a similar semi-permanent glue, THEN!!!!! a pair of 5mm neo-dynium magnets superglued into the cap inner (the inside rim needs to be filed down to make it a soft fit) then screw the sprocket onto the gearbox output shaft, place the magnet loaded cap over the hole and it will lock straight into place and will never come off unless it is gripped firmly with a pair of pliars.shaun
Old 10-05-2014, 06:45 PM
1sgt

Could someone list a source for the magnets. I found some at Home Depot, but they are a little to big to fit into the screw posts.

Thanks again, and for all the ideas.

Jim
Old 10-05-2014, 06:52 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

JIM, I live in ENGLAND so the place I get my magnets from will not help you, but for anyone in the UK interested it is - www.first4magnets.com
sorry I can't be more helpful. shaun
Old 10-05-2014, 07:06 PM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I get mine off e-bay. Lots of vendors carry them . check this page. You can even get them with countersunk holes to screw them in...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...gnets&_sacat=0

5mmm is what I use...
Old 10-05-2014, 07:38 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use K+J Magnets for all my neodynium needs.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com

I usually hinge the rear and use magnets to clip the front down. I drill a hole the width of the magnet, drop in it and then glue a .005" piece of sheet styrene in place as a cover. Keeps in snug in place but doesn't cut down on the attraction.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:38 AM
Green Amphibian

I use the K&J magnets also in the 1/4" round cylinder shape. I either drill out the posts and glue them in or make my own posts for my scratch builds. I use two magnets for each attachment point, one on the lower hull and one on the upper hull.

Herman
Old 10-06-2014, 11:40 AM
DaveBcool

I used K&J also, lots of choices, good prices and service.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I use http://www.allmagnetics.com/about.htm for my magnets. Unforunately they do not do medical grade magnets I plan on getting a magnet implant soon and am still trying to source a double coated medical grade magnet for a decent price. I need gold/titanium coated and then coated in silicone just in case