Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Clark TK22G1/G2 and RC modern tanks?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Clark TK22G1/G2 and RC modern tanks?

Old 10-21-2014, 11:50 AM
HoloTheWolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clark TK22G1/G2 and RC modern tanks?

Greetings,
Clark releases his TK22 G1/G2 awhile ago. From the published official youtube videos, the added horizontal
and vertical gun barrel stabilization looks very promising. I know you could achieve the same functions by using
flight control gyros, but this probably won't be a simple plug-and-play job.

That being said, has anyone tested the new board yet? I'm really curious how the new TK22 G1/G2 works in
real application.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Holo, actually it's not that easy. I've experimented with a couple of flight gyros which never quite worked as I'd hoped. I've also tried a submarine auto leveler which was a definite improvement but I didn't manage to get it setup as I'd like! Regarding the Clark boards I cannot be of assistance.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They look awesome but I personally have not seen one in action. Clark is pretty solid and making things work well, and relatively simply. I'd love to see a build / review though... expect more of that to happen with the HL release of the Abrams and Challenger II
Old 10-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Bagheera

I hope new Clark boards come out soon. I want to get me Leopard done.

Johnny
Old 10-21-2014, 06:20 PM
FreakyDude

Bagheera your a lot closer than you think and I will have one waiting for you I might even deliver it with my Leo and we can talk tank for a bit
Old 10-21-2014, 10:11 PM
HoloTheWolf

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Hi Holo, actually it's not that easy. I've experimented with a couple of flight gyros which never quite worked as I'd hoped. I've also tried a submarine auto leveler which was a definite improvement but I didn't manage to get it setup as I'd like! Regarding the Clark boards I cannot be of assistance.
Tom, thanks for sharing your experience with gyros. I almost pulled the trigger buying gyros, but was a bit hesitated.
I saw a couple gyro mods on YouTube, however, as you said, there seem to be a lot of room for improvement. Plus I
am not an expert on flight control gyros. So eventually I decided to wait for Clark's TK22G.

As I see it, most gyro based gun barrel stabilization (GBS) unit to date does not look realistic. I think most terrain (except
those scaled scenes) is too rough and bumpy for RC tanks. So a decent GBS should be able to compensate the turret
motion caused by the rough landscape. I guess this requires a high speed servo and a pretty sensitive and fine-tunned gyro.

I am curious if TK22G is gyro based. From the spec, the added GBS function is provided by an additional board.

PS: I was told that TK22G is in production at the moment, and will be available probably next week.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:24 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm a little confused - gun barrel stabilization is only for modern tanks, correct? Not something you would realistically add to WWII German armor?

Also, what's this about HL releasing the Challenger? I know Erik has one and did a video about it, but he told me HL was NOT going to release it. Has this changed? If so, maybe Erik better take one of those high dollar offers for his HL Challenger before it's too late!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:44 AM
HoloTheWolf

Originally Posted by maxu52
I'm a little confused - gun barrel stabilization is only for modern tanks, correct? Not something you would realistically add to WWII German armor?
Hi maxu52, I think the answer is yes. But after a quick search in Wikipedia, I now see that GBS had already implemented on
some armored fighting vehicle near the end of WWII. Not sure German Tigers have similar equipment installed.
Some German AFV expert may clarify for us maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_stabilizer
Old 10-22-2014, 10:49 AM
HoloTheWolf

There are some interesting discussions on GBS unit implementation here:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/gro...abilizers.html

and

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index....g-on-the-move/
Old 11-02-2014, 06:53 PM
clarkmodel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always the pain to us, we don't have enough resource to build demo set for promotion video, good new is that we've shipped some TK22G2 to local customer, they will film the video for us soon.

Regards,
Clark
Old 11-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Bagheera

Any idea when they'll be out

Johnny
Old 11-03-2014, 08:26 AM
clarkmodel

Originally Posted by Bagheera
Any idea when they'll be out

Johnny
Not sure, our sales will push them every week
Old 11-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Also, what's this about HL releasing the Challenger? I know Erik has one and did a video about it, but he told me HL was NOT going to release it. Has this changed? If so, maybe Erik better take one of those high dollar offers for his HL Challenger before it's too late!
I didn't say they wouldn't release the Chally, just no one has a clue why they haven't already. The box art was done way before I got the tank back in Feb and if anything it looks way more complete than the Abrams did. The Abrams I hear is due to release soon enough, most likely very soon from what I hear.
As for the Clark board I would love to do a review myself as well for my own tanks. I run all airsoft tanks myself as I have no tanker friends here in FL. I am always interested in new stuff, I spend the rest of my day after work tweaking my cars (working on a 8-10 LED bumper for night racing atm) and quads as well. I was also excited to see the new BARC4 too, I hope I get the chance to test these in the future.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Drew67

I'm about 3 hours away from ya Erik, not to many tankers here in L.A. (lower Alabama)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:58 PM
HoloTheWolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZWuJWUhe5k Here is a clip showing USS Ford FFG-54 76mm gun shooting. It clearly shows how the GBS unit compensates the ship's motion.
Man, 60 rounds per minute, that's awesome.

Speaking about autoloader, modern heavy battle tanks like M1A2, Leopard 2, Challenger 2 don't use the system, as far as I know
(correct me if I'm wrong). Anyone knows why? Is it about tank's survivability?

Last edited by HoloTheWolf; 11-05-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Gun Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HoloTheWolf,
Nice clip! My buddy served on the Ford and I have worked on the Ingraham's MK75 a couple of times. That gun is my baby and they will all be gone next year with the last FFG (Frigate for you non-Navy types). Bear in mind that the gun barrel stabilization is not part of the MK75 Gun Weapon System, it is from the MK92 Fire Control System (FCS). The gun control panel just responds to targeting data and the motors keep driving the gun to the same position.

Mark
Old 11-06-2014, 07:50 PM
clarkmodel

max, this might answer your question.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0602.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	2045492  
Old 11-06-2014, 10:17 PM
HoloTheWolf

Originally Posted by Gun Tech
HoloTheWolf,
Nice clip! My buddy served on the Ford and I have worked on the Ingraham's MK75 a couple of times. That gun is my baby and they will all be gone next year with the last FFG (Frigate for you non-Navy types). Bear in mind that the gun barrel stabilization is not part of the MK75 Gun Weapon System, it is from the MK92 Fire Control System (FCS). The gun control panel just responds to targeting data and the motors keep driving the gun to the same position.

Mark
Mark, thanks for sharing. It must have been great working on that system. The autoloader and GBS are a fantastic combination,
making the gun so versatile and flexible. Based on what you said, the MK75 does not come with the GBS? I am a bit surprised by
that. I thought whoever makes the gun for Navy should know GBS is a must-have

PS: Thanks for your and your friend's service!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Gun Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HoloTheWolf,
I don't want the thread to drift, but this may help some people understand how GBS works on most systems. The MK75, along with all of the other Naval gun systems work the same way, when a target is selected and the gun is assigned to a particular point in space where the round should impact the target, that data is constantly being processed to allow for range, speed, atmospheric conditions and coriolis effect. The gun itself has no gyroscopic features, as long as the gun was originally aligned correctly with the FCS, the FCS is taking all of the data for pitch and roll from the ship's gyro and providing a new location for the gun to be pointed. The gun doesn't care, it receives a differential error and drive the train and elevation motors to that new location. We see that as the barrel being "locked" on target and stays still while the ship moves around it. That is the simple explanation. I hope that helps. I work on everything from the 25MM Bushmaster chain gun, to the 5" MK45, but now as a civilian, "Best job I ever had"

Mark
Old 12-13-2014, 09:34 PM
LORD SHADO

TK22G2 were can i buy this? i need it .
Old 12-14-2014, 06:38 AM
FreakyDude

Originally Posted by LORD SHADO
TK22G2 were can i buy this? i need it .
send me a mail at www.immortalhobbies.com or pm me here and let me know which tank you want the G2 for
Old 12-14-2014, 02:36 PM
LORD SHADO

I'm not sure what would be best for me I'm building the timiya leopard tank 1/16 scale with all the best hype up. Tk22 or the tk22g2