Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Catzilla!

Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Catzilla!

Catzilla doesn't appear until 55 seconds into the video, and I suppose it's not that exciting but I thought it was cool. I just like the way he uses the farmhouse as cover to have a look beyond. I guess when you only way 9 pounds a King Tiger in ANY scale is a bit intimidating. I just thought you guys might find it amusing. I did. But then, I always have been easily amused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bXAIhyna-4 Plus, maybe someone will be able to hear my track problems with this tank and come up with a quick fix. But if not, I am prepared to take these tracks apart one link at a time until they run like the butter they're supposed to run like, instead of chunky, sticky PEANUT butter!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:11 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of times these tracks just need to be run in.. I have a couple of sets of the Mato Leopard tracks with the rubber inserts, and they were really stiff. After a couple of hours of running they had stretched out and just fall over the sprockets now. Did nothing but run them in.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Max-U52

I've put quite a bit of run time on them and they haven't gotten much better. One unusual thing is that when they were new it was almost as if the pins holding the links together were too small in diameter. After running a few yards they would start to work loose and allow the links to separate. Erik sent me a whole new set of pins but it was the same thing. I finally had to flatten the end of each pin to get it to grip and stay in place, but I still have trouble with throwing the track at the left idler, and you can still hear them popping and clicking when they run. If I have to I'll go through them link by link, but I was hoping not to have to do that. I'm wondering if something went wrong during casting these inks, like maybe cooling to fast or too slow, or something like that. I can't think of any other reason for the holes to be too big. It's been suggested to try adding or subtracting a link, but with these KT tracks it's not that simple. You have to add or subtract TWO links at a time because of the design, and that makes a huge difference. I think it was Strato50 that suggested stripping the tracks of paint to see if that helps, so I might do that first, but you know how it is trying to find the time. That's one of the reasons that I sometimes hesitate to ask for help here, because the guys always try to be helpful and have great ideas, but then if my lazy butt doesn't get to it in a reasonable amount of time I feel bad about it. I'm also tempted to just buy new tracks, but that would be a very expensive fix, and I'd much rather spend that coin to upgrade to a hobby grade Tx/Rx. But I'll keep plugging at it and I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. After what you had to say, Dan, I think I might try setting it on blocks and just running it for a half hour or so to see if that makes any improvement.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:47 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Running them loaded though would help in stretching them. While the tracks are off I have tried rolling them up backwards and exerting some pressure on them as I do it to help work them in.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:52 PM
kizwan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the cat was going to play hide n seek with the tank.

Originally Posted by maxu52
I've put quite a bit of run time on them and they haven't gotten much better. One unusual thing is that when they were new it was almost as if the pins holding the links together were too small in diameter. After running a few yards they would start to work loose and allow the links to separate. Erik sent me a whole new set of pins but it was the same thing. I finally had to flatten the end of each pin to get it to grip and stay in place, but I still have trouble with throwing the track at the left idler, and you can still hear them popping and clicking when they run. If I have to I'll go through them link by link, but I was hoping not to have to do that. I'm wondering if something went wrong during casting these inks, like maybe cooling to fast or too slow, or something like that. I can't think of any other reason for the holes to be too big. It's been suggested to try adding or subtracting a link, but with these KT tracks it's not that simple. You have to add or subtract TWO links at a time because of the design, and that makes a huge difference. I think it was Strato50 that suggested stripping the tracks of paint to see if that helps, so I might do that first, but you know how it is trying to find the time. That's one of the reasons that I sometimes hesitate to ask for help here, because the guys always try to be helpful and have great ideas, but then if my lazy butt doesn't get to it in a reasonable amount of time I feel bad about it. I'm also tempted to just buy new tracks, but that would be a very expensive fix, and I'd much rather spend that coin to upgrade to a hobby grade Tx/Rx. But I'll keep plugging at it and I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. After what you had to say, Dan, I think I might try setting it on blocks and just running it for a half hour or so to see if that makes any improvement.
How to solved the clicking noise? I imagine that's the sound of the tracks teeth hitting the idler wheel.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:55 PM
Max-U52

That might explain why it throws the track at the idler. So how do I fix it? I suppose I should start by removing the tracks and deburring the guide horns. Any other suggestions would be great.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:52 AM
kizwan

Is it possible for the road wheels to misaligned the guide horns with the idler?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:39 AM
paintjockey

I thought I read somewhere that a batch of the KT came with binding drive lines and it was due to the idlers. Don't quote me on that though.

Terry
Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by paintjockey
I thought I read somewhere that a batch of the KT came with binding drive lines and it was due to the idlers. Don't quote me on that though.

Terry
I'll have to check with Erik on that. He should be back tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I told you before I left to call me buddy! That doesn't sound right! Give me a call today when you can (except from 1-2pm EST, that is my lunch hehe) and I should have a fix for you. I'm going to have a look myself at these tracks to see if they just need broken in or if there is an issue. I do have a setup that allows me to break in tracks unattended
Also, catzilla is quite funny, I currently have a VERY large dog that loves to bark, chase, and bite any RC I get near him. I have to put him inside to even play with my toys!