Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya announces the 1/16th JGSDF Type 10

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya announces the 1/16th JGSDF Type 10

Old 10-31-2014, 03:36 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Tamiya announces the 1/16th JGSDF Type 10

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/news/newitems/index.htm

No pictures as yet. It would be interesting to see its electronics suite configuration, whether it shares the Leopard 2's setup, or the WW2 tanks'.

Start saving!

A bit more background information and real-tank photos:

This was parked out from during the 2014 edition of the Shizuoka Hobby Show in May.

The Type 10 is one of, if not the latest MBT tank design to appear (in 2010). It is slightly smaller than the Leopard 2A6 and significantly lighter but packs a 120mm smoothbore main gun.

It almost seems like a Tamiya making a response to a Chinese company putting out a Chinese main battle tank. What I'm interested to know is how the electronics would be configured - would they have the same "freeze" characteristics when firing or being hit? Or would there be a massive jump forward? Would it have a Leopard-style gearbox, or a standard WW2-type gearbox? We all know what it will probably look like on the outside, the inside will be the interesting bit!

Last edited by cleong; 10-31-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:21 PM
TigerTankMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting choice.
Good to see them do something that hasn't been done in 1:16 (to my knowledge).
Not sure i will save for one though.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:03 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The subject doesn't interest me, but it's great to see Tamiya coming out with something new in 1/16 relatively quick (for them) on the heels of the JS-2.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:44 PM
cleong

The subject is less interesting than the implications on Tamiya's continued interest in the 1/16th scale tank line. For a long time, I (and some others) felt the Leopard 2A6 was a "flash in the pan" project because there was no other full-option modern tank in Tamiya's lineup. It seemed like an evolutionary dead-end (even though there were plenty of modern tanks they could have done) because all the subsequent releases were WW2 tanks with less-sophisticated features. With this latest release, I'm hopeful that Tamiya will once again throw everything they're capable of into this release - thedearth of battle units had me suspecting whether Tamiya would pull the plug on the entire 1/16th tank line at one stage.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:27 PM
kizwan

Not interesting if I'm honest.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:09 PM
cleong

Well, the subject isn't too interesting because there's not much "pedigree" but the implications of Tamiya releasing a second modern tank are huge. If its anything like the Leopard 2A6, I'm definitely setting aside money for one.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:00 AM
ROLLIN ARMOUR

Well at least Tamiya is coming out with a new tank. A few months ago I was thinking to myself that maybe Tamiya pulled the plug on 1/16th Tanks. I understand alot of you Tankers had other choices you would rather have wanted Tamiya to produce but aleast they are still in the game. As for me I would put this Tank towards the bottom of my Tamiya wish list. On a positive it will be better than HL ZTZ. Just my opinion.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:40 AM
mordock999

Originally Posted by cleong
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/news/newitems/index.htm

No pictures as yet. It would be interesting to see its electronics suite configuration, whether it shares the Leopard 2's setup, or the WW2 tanks'.

Start saving!

A bit more background information and real-tank photos:

This was parked out from during the 2014 edition of the Shizuoka Hobby Show in May.

The Type 10 is one of, if not the latest MBT tank design to appear (in 2010). It is slightly smaller than the Leopard 2A6 and significantly lighter but packs a 120mm smoothbore main gun.

It almost seems like a Tamiya making a response to a Chinese company putting out a Chinese main battle tank. What I'm interested to know is how the electronics would be configured - would they have the same "freeze" characteristics when firing or being hit? Or would there be a massive jump forward? Would it have a Leopard-style gearbox, or a standard WW2-type gearbox? We all know what it will probably look like on the outside, the inside will be the interesting bit!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

Well, its something Different and NOT WWII for Change. And While its NOT a M1 Abrams, I'll buy one. Thanks Tamiya!

PS: (Pssst, Tamiya? M1 Abrams! T-72! M1 Abrams! T-72! M1 Abrams! T-72!) - Subliminal Message, OUT!

Last edited by mordock999; 11-01-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:00 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

It's at least a 1/16 tank and the modern guys will love it!

An Abrams, Challenger or even a Centurion would excite me but the next one will!

Jeff
Old 11-01-2014, 05:20 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

My 2 cents, the 1/16 Tamiya JGSDF Type 10 RC Tank will certainly be a corporate success if it arrives with a scale digital, electronic RC Godzilla and battle system, because that seems to be the most likely foe today for a Japanese modern main battle tank. Can't wait to build and paint that set.

John
Old 11-01-2014, 06:38 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is good to see Tamiya is still interested. Poor choice of model though. I really don't understand the marketing arms of these guys. I will not be buying this, but if Tamiya brought out a Valentine I would send in my preorder instantly.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:06 AM
modeltank

I will be getting this kit when it hits the store. I had never doubted its quality and/or after sales service.
while some can complain about Tamiya's decision, and others love HL's TOY tanks, and so on....
It is Tamiya's decision for their selection, and consumers' decision to spend or not.

Trying to make loud intelligent guesses over Tamiya's decision and company's direction, does not make one smarter/mature either, in any way.
It's just like someone is about to enjoy his steak, and someone else at the next table saying "the steak's not done right, he should put on more salt, he's cutting in the wrong way, he's going with the wrong soup,......"

It's just a hobby, enjoy it......be happy with your lives.

Last edited by modeltank; 11-01-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Carson L

I feel that Tamiya don't want to use money that invest on research tanks out of Japan.... that's why come out a Japan MBT.. must be less investment.

Anyway, it still good news that there's a MBT that can play with Leo2A6.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Agree, a poor choice for the Western World rc tankers, but a great choice for Asian World rc tankers.

2 cents, this is not an rc tank on my build list or even a tank I have taken the time to read about in Jane's or anywhere else, but like most others. glad Tamiya is still in the rc tank game, kinda of.

With Tamiya battle units and WWII rc tank spare parts being difficult to source this year, that seemed to indicate Tamiya was killing off the 1/16 rc tank product line in favor of a series of smaller scale legacy kit re-releases; interesting business plan, if true (the main stay Tamiya Tiger IE is now discontinued after some periodic warnings from Tamiya).

I seem to recall, the RC Tamiya Leopard 2A4 was first developed as a corporate presentation model for Krau-Maffel-Rheinmetall, the tanks manufacturers and at their request. Their Leopard arrived in a nice wood presentation box for the companies executives and decision making end users as a marketing tool. Perhaps this new Tamiya Japanese modern rc tank is also purposed as an arms manufacturer's marketing tool like the Leo 2 first was? A few lucky Tamiya private collector customers could purchase that finished Leo 2 corporate model for around $2500.00, just after the kit's release to the public, almost a decade ago.

After a quick military online read, I discovered the Japanese Type 10 Main Battle Tank (MBT) is designed to operate in the mountain regions of Japan, the same place where Godzilla is alleged to live and it's about time that nation gets serious about that pesky issue.

Interesting read concerning other Asian long term conflict issues: http://www.strategycenter.net/docLib...CapMay2012.pdf

As for the WWII ETO armor, my favorite subject matter, I do hope the Mato metal US Tank Destroyers show up as good models and that HL follows up on their very nice Sherman dis-assemble and rebuild the toy into a scale model. Great fun!

Lastly, I'll probably build the new Tamiyya kit, because it might be rare in the USA and possibly collectable, plus modern armor is now a secondary interest and I enjoy building any Tamiya rc tank kit, at least once.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Japanese-Type-10.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	2043916  
Old 11-01-2014, 09:07 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

There is a point here that is being missed, Tamiya is a Japanese TOY company, it sells most of its product in Japan, IF they could guarantee selling as many units of 1/16 Centurion/Abram/Challenger as this latest offering in the home country you would find these self same tanks on sale around the world, Kids are fickle and their parents will not buy a toy that costs a small fortune only for it to gather dust after a week and a toy that represents a product from another country will get no kind of priority from a nation that resists all things foreign by its nature.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Cruiser133

Considering the number of Abrams over there in Japan due to the US military being stationed there, I am unsure why Tamiya has not released one yet. I would think there are more Abrams on the islands than Leopard 2A6's...
Old 11-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Point missed: Maybe, maybe not, but for sure Tamiya is a global corporation and has not been a Japanese toy company for many decades:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamiya_Corporation

I suspect Tamiya's world wide sales dwarf homeland sales.

Abrams: The Joint Systems Manufacturing Center is a US government-owned, contractor-operated plant facility currently managed by General Dynamics Land Systems and responsible for the Abrams today. They came into being around the time (2004-2006) that Mr Tamiya wanted to issue a 1/16 rc Abrams, but the hobby rumor mill claimed no licensing agreement could be reached with the Pentagon management.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 11-01-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:21 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

TAMIYA is indeed an international corporation but it is headquartered in Tokyo and I would be surprised if decisions concerning large financial outlay such as new models including new moulds were not made there with a board comprised of 100% home based members with all the normal local influences that we are all exposed to wherever we come from.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:02 PM
cleong

Well, Tamiya serves a global market and I think they waited long enough (literally decades) to launch their first Japanese 1/16th scale tank, after having made more than a dozen tanks from other countries. Its about time they made one of their own. If response is good, perhaps we will see more modern tanks in the pipeline. But let's not bemoan them for forsaking the other tanks - at least we have Heng Long with the Abrams and Challenger (both which look pretty good) and Arkmodel/Hooben making noises about putting an Abrams and Leopard 2A4 on the market.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:28 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by YHR
It is good to see Tamiya is still interested. Poor choice of model though. I really don't understand the marketing arms of these guys. I will not be buying this, but if Tamiya brought out a Valentine I would send in my preorder instantly.
It's not what you or most on this forum want. But they're a Japanese company, and I bet it sells well domestically! It's a nice companion to the leopard. Glad tamiya are continuing in 1/16. I had a hunch this might be on the cards after the 1/35 rc ones started popping up on eBay!
Old 11-01-2014, 04:02 PM
FreakyDude

I am thinking this won't sell that well. Only one market here with the odd person picking it up outside Japan. Hats off to Tamiya though for going and doing there own thing.
This is what a market leader does. Maybe Tamiya is trying to show it is on top? It's not but hey its another tank for us too play with
Old 11-01-2014, 09:10 PM
kenneth74

Tamiya very much wanted to do the Abrams but like all modern corporate sharks.. GM wanted to much for licensing...

Leopard 2 was the other way round... KMR approached big T... It's such an honor to big T tat they hold nothing back to produce it.... Resulting in many unique and advanced techs only seen in the leopard 2 offering...
Old 11-02-2014, 02:22 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kenneth74
Tamiya very much wanted to do the Abrams but like all modern corporate sharks.. GM wanted to much for licensing...

Leopard 2 was the other way round... KMR approached big T... It's such an honor to big T tat they hold nothing back to produce it.... Resulting in many unique and advanced techs only seen in the leopard 2 offering...
Im guessing heng long haven't worried about such trivialise as licensing on their leopard, Abrams and challenger
Old 11-02-2014, 05:13 AM
ROLLIN ARMOUR

GM needs money for the lawsuits filed against them for their faulty ignition switches on their cars. LOL
Old 11-02-2014, 08:47 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiser133
Considering the number of Abrams over there in Japan due to the US military being stationed there, I am unsure why Tamiya has not released one yet. I would think there are more Abrams on the islands than Leopard 2A6's...
Not sure where you've seen Abrams in Japan. The greatest concentration of US forces in Japan is in Okinawa, and there isn't a single Abrams on the island. I can't think of a place in Japan where there might be any. Roads won't support it and there isn't sufficient open space for ranges.

Originally Posted by jarndice
There is a point here that is being missed, Tamiya is a Japanese TOY company, it sells most of its product in Japan, IF they could guarantee selling as many units of 1/16 Centurion/Abram/Challenger as this latest offering in the home country you would find these self same tanks on sale around the world, Kids are fickle and their parents will not buy a toy that costs a small fortune only for it to gather dust after a week and a toy that represents a product from another country will get no kind of priority from a nation that resists all things foreign by its nature.
I anticipate that this a product that will capitalize on the current sense of nationalism in Japan. It will probably be well-received in Japan. The photo of the tank parked outside of a hobby show indicates possible support from the Japanese government and JGSDF. Have you ever seen an Abrams, AH-1 Cobra or JSF parked outside of a hobby show? The ZTZ appeared to be a hit in China, though lukewarm elsewhere. Companies capitalize on nationalism all the time. Marvel hit it big with Captain America several decades ago and continues to ride that wave.

I think it will be interesting to see if it has the more sophisticated electronics like the Leopard, as well as the realism in the details and sounds. I anticipate that it would (see previous comment about government support).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.