Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

The true cost of a heng long tank

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

The true cost of a heng long tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:02 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cleong
A little snarky aren't we? There is that discontinued Flakpanzer Gepard, you know.
Snarky? Has no meaning in the English language.

The Gepard is current and it’s marketed as static with the ability to RC hence why there are no electrics.

We in the RC world have had this debate many times before, all have been meaningless and all have been boring do we really have to have this again
Old 11-02-2014, 07:32 AM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too late its already being argued.

The issue is people with tamiya need to justify why they spent so much, the people with Heng Long need to justify why they spent so little.
Get over it already.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:43 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one has mentioned time vested? Takes a whole bunch more time to get a clone up to tamiya standards and IR compatible. I enjoy and use both tamiya and
HL but waste much more precious time wrenching on HL's to keep them reliable battlers. I love bench time, but would rather use it building a new kit or modding
instead of replacing road wheels, gearboxes, soldering, etc.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:36 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually this debate has nothing to do with the comparsion between Heng Long and Tamiya. This is more a debate about what mods you do want to do to your Heng Long with an eye out for the final result and the money spent. The Tamiya name is just used as a bench Mark to value the upgrades against.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:48 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
No one has mentioned time vested? Takes a whole bunch more time to get a clone up to tamiya standards and IR compatible. I enjoy and use both tamiya and
HL but waste much more precious time wrenching on HL's to keep them reliable battlers. I love bench time, but would rather use it building a new kit or modding
instead of replacing road wheels, gearboxes, soldering, etc.
Exactly, everytime this comes up, it seems it's about money, but it's not.

I think I spent more hours on getting the StuG in shape than I did building five Tamiyas combined (noting that all of them were highly modded). And it wasn't pleasureable bench time, but wrestling and replacing. Probably half of the time was surfing and ordering too and at the end of the day, it was more expensive. I bet if I added up just the individual shipping costs along the way for adjustable idlers, gearboxes, motors, IR stuff, etc, that alone probably cost more than the original tank itself. Plus trips to the hardware store.

And I love to build. The difference for me after experiencing both (also converting a static Kubel and building the Xion Kettenkrad) is when I open a Tamiya box I literally feel like I'm 8 years old on Christmas morning. When I open a HL box, I feel like an adult in Home Depot. Yeah, eventually whatever the project is will be cool, but I'm going to go through a lot of crap before I get there. I am an adult who constantly has to go to HD, I'd rather be 8.

In my opinion, the best way to make HL work is to build around a DBC/Benedini 'module' that you can switch out between hulls. Having user definable sounds/options make that very doable and you could go between a T-34, StuG and M4 with little effort. That's great and cuts cost significantly.

Bottom line, I could care less what you build as long as you're happy. Best statement still remains: "Build what you love, love what you build"
Old 11-02-2014, 02:00 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ausf
Bottom line, I could care less what you build as long as you're happy. Best statement still remains: "Build what you love, love what you build"
This is the most important part of the hobby. Different builders get their kicks different ways, if you've got something you can be proud of and enjoyed building then that's most important.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:47 PM
BludoTheSmelly

I have not spent that much on any of mine outside of 2.4 upgrade or just getting metal tracks.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:51 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HL is a cheap way to start in the hobby and get your feet wet.
Taigen is for a more serious (Adult usually) RC tanker who wants great quality for a lower than Tamiya price.
Tamiya is for the die-hard RC tanker who wants the biggest bang for his buck,
You cannot beat Tamiya's resale value....I have two full option Tamiya Tiger battle tanks that are old enough to vote on Tuesday. I am dead certain that I could get back the $500 I paid for my first Tamiya Tiger back in 2006 that I bought used with radio and TBU at Danville.

You get what you pay for... the HL is a great starter tank I sold 6 HL tanks today at the the Military Toy show in Hackensack. Four were stock HL M4s (...thank you FURY movie) and two customs HLs. Just like my RC Halftracks, I opened each one, charged it up and test drove it to make sure it is perfect (I shortened the TOO long tacks too). The others were custom painted HL Panthers, one IR and one airsoft. The Taigen T-34 was a big hit but it didn't sell. Too high a price point for this crowd.The Taigen T-34 was VERY worth the wait. I am converting two of them to Tamiya FO for customers.

Last edited by thecommander; 11-02-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:54 PM
BludoTheSmelly

Someday ill get a taigen but ive been pleasantly surprised by the heng longs for what they are.