Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

The future has arrived.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 05:23 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The future has arrived.

Recently I was surfing Shapeways and stumbled across a couple of guys doing parts in 1/35 scale. I emailed both of them and this is the result

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2897...html?li=aeTabs

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2892...ml?li=shortUrl

The guy making the periscope guards( Mike) is also going to do Sherman headlight and tail light guards as well.

Cool

Last edited by YHR; 11-27-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:32 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's about time. I've been waiting for the future for a while now.

Seriously, at an AMPS show back in '05 or '06, a guy had workable 1/48 tracks that were printed assembled. Of course it was from high end machines beyond anything a hobbyist could afford and even the tracks themselves were too expensive to market, but it showed the potential.

My son asked for a 3D printer for Xmas, I suggested a gift certificate to Shapeways instead so he could learn the CAD before he dealt with the frustrations of the affordable home systems.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:41 AM
YHR

Same here for me. I am finally going to retire soon and I have promised myself to get up to speed on CAD, before I shell out money for a printer. This shapeways option is pretty cool though. Find guys who have the skills, and they are quite receptive to building what you need.

I contacted these two guys, and within a week they had parts in 1/16 scale ready to sell. Talk about opening the door on the possibilities.

Yes these two items I doubt could be done on a home printer. I might be wrong though, the technology is changing so fast.

Last edited by YHR; 11-27-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:49 AM
YHR

Re Periscope guards.

What I did on my Cromwell was use a flanged bearing in the hull as a periscope base. These periscope guards are then attached to the bearing, and you have a nice smooth turning periscope.

Last edited by YHR; 11-27-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

YIPPEE !!!!
rex
Old 11-27-2014, 06:12 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I convinced RANCHFX to make his m51 jerry can racks in 1/16. Wait and see as I update my m51 for a review of these products!
Old 11-27-2014, 06:18 AM
YHR

Originally Posted by edoubleaz
I convinced RANCHFX to make his m51 jerry can racks in 1/16. Wait and see as I update my m51 for a review of these products!

??? LOL. You and me both then. I contacted him a couple of weeks ago suggested he up scale. I have a set on the way. I guess if these guys are getting multiple request for 1/16 scale parts it drives the point home there is a market that needs serving
Old 11-27-2014, 10:05 AM
trackmech81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great news
Old 11-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've just started putting some of my stuff up there.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/WarrenHudson

You can't judge a print off the renders as small details like the small bolts just won't print out.

Just read the info on the Frosted Ultra Detail and the smallest detail is 0.1mm x 0.1 mm (my printer is 0.1 x 0.2mm). Have to look into the pricing a bit more though.

Last edited by Wozwasnt; 11-27-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:02 PM
FreakyDude

from what I have seen from printers that have done parts for hatches, periscopes etc this is great. I am not so sure I want drive wheels printed just yet.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:58 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

As mentioned before on other 3D printing threads here, take a look at what Pat Matthews has been doing for the past 5 years for the model boating crowd. He's considering doing the same for tanks so feel check out some of his work over at RC Groups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1088812
Old 11-28-2014, 01:26 AM
trackmech81

Anybody ask him if he can upscale that IDF Sherman storage bin he has in 1/35?
Old 11-28-2014, 04:21 AM
Wozwasnt

Question - How much are you guys willing to pay for this stuff?

I've done a bit of testing on Shapeways.

I made a 30cm hollow box (1 foot) in 1/35 (so thats 8.57mm cubed) with 1mm thick walls then rescaled it to 1/16.

then put both up on Shapeways and checked out the prices (test35 is 1/35 and test16 is 1/16)-

For basic shapes like this box then "Strong and Flexible" will do but for detailed stuff with nuts and bolts you'll need to use the Frosted Ultra Detail and thats getting expensive.

P.S. if anyone fancies the 1/16 box printed in platinum then I can do a special deal for forum members $ 5404.15

Last edited by Wozwasnt; 11-28-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:10 AM
FreakyDude

Silly question, As cheap as possible of course. If you can do platinum can you do metals?

Originally Posted by Wozwasnt
Question - How much are you guys willing to pay for this stuff?

I've done a bit of testing on Shapeways.

I made a 30cm hollow box (1 foot) in 1/35 (so thats 8.57mm cubed) with 1mm thick walls then rescaled it to 1/16.

then put both up on Shapeways and checked out the prices (test35 is 1/35 and test16 is 1/16)-

For basic shapes like this box then "Strong and Flexible" will do but for detailed stuff with nuts and bolts you'll need to use the Frosted Ultra Detail and thats getting expensive.

P.S. if anyone fancies the 1/16 box printed in platinum then I can do a special deal for forum members $ 5640.15
Old 11-28-2014, 05:23 AM
Wozwasnt

Originally Posted by FreakyDude
Silly question, As cheap as possible of course. If you can do platinum can you do metals?

I know you want it cheap but 3D printing isn't cheap. Anyone could make my test cube out of plasticard at a fraction of the cost of a printed cube. I've designed loads of 1/16 stuff but I hadn't put it on Shapeways because I thought they were too expensive.

Last edited by Wozwasnt; 11-28-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:43 AM
ausf

The metals aren't actually metals, right? Just materials mixed into the extruded material to simulate what's desired?

I can add metal powder to resin and it will appear to be bronze, etc, have actual bronze in it, but it won't be a furnace cast piece of bronze with all the attributes.

Kind of like particle board versus plywood.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:56 AM
Wozwasnt

Originally Posted by ausf
The metals aren't actually metals, right? Just materials mixed into the extruded material to simulate what's desired?

I can add metal powder to resin and it will appear to be bronze, etc, have actual bronze in it, but it won't be a furnace cast piece of bronze with all the attributes.

Kind of like particle board versus plywood.
They use different processes for each metal-

To build steel models, special 3D printers deposit small drops of glue onto layers of stainless steel powder, one layer at a time, until the print is complete. We carefully remove these models from the printer. At this stage of the process, the objects are very fragile, similar to wet sand. The models then go through an infusion process that replaces the glue with bronze, creating a full metal product. Models are then processed to achieve your desired finish, sprayed with a sealant, and shipped to you.

Gold models are 3D printed using a complex five-step process. First, the model is printed in wax using a specialized high-resolution 3D printer. It is then put in a container where liquid plaster is poured in around it. When the plaster sets, the wax is melted out in a furnace, and the remaining plaster becomes the mold.
Molten Gold is poured into this mold and set to harden. The plaster is broken away, revealing your new product. The product is then carefully cleaned and hand-polished to give it the trademark Gold luster. Please be aware that polishing can wear down or fill in very fine details and edges. Polishing also removes a bit of material from your product in order to smooth it out, so the exact volume may be slightly smaller than that of your digital model.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:24 AM
gqlhonourbv

These periscope guards are then attached to the bearing, and you have a nice smooth turning periscope.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:42 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by Wozwasnt
They use different processes for each metal-

To build steel models, special 3D printers deposit small drops of glue onto layers of stainless steel powder, one layer at a time, until the print is complete. We carefully remove these models from the printer. At this stage of the process, the objects are very fragile, similar to wet sand. The models then go through an infusion process that replaces the glue with bronze, creating a full metal product. Models are then processed to achieve your desired finish, sprayed with a sealant, and shipped to you.

Gold models are 3D printed using a complex five-step process. First, the model is printed in wax using a specialized high-resolution 3D printer. It is then put in a container where liquid plaster is poured in around it. When the plaster sets, the wax is melted out in a furnace, and the remaining plaster becomes the mold.
Molten Gold is poured into this mold and set to harden. The plaster is broken away, revealing your new product. The product is then carefully cleaned and hand-polished to give it the trademark Gold luster. Please be aware that polishing can wear down or fill in very fine details and edges. Polishing also removes a bit of material from your product in order to smooth it out, so the exact volume may be slightly smaller than that of your digital model.
Now that is cool.

In the gold, it's just making a master and the rest is the age old method. Very cool.

The steel is 'space age'. Might not be as strong as real steel, but probably a lot stronger than what I was thinking the process was. Again, very cool. I, like probably every tank builder here has dreams of getting sprockets and track links in metal for whatever we desire. That's always the brick wall for a scratch design, workable tracks that'll stand up to the punishment. Traditional methods of alloy casting is beyond most and even the hardest resins or ABS won't stand up once you get smaller than a Pz III link.

Thanks for that description.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:06 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by edoubleaz
I've emailed them too about up scaling their rear stowage bin and the engine deck.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:29 AM
YHR

A little expensive, but isn't this a great development. Ordering exaclty what you need, I have purchased the periscope guards and the jerry can racks. I'll post pictures when they arrive.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:59 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I sent a message to RanchRX as well asking if he would be interested in up scaling all his 1/35 parts for the M50/M51. His parts are nice!!!
Old 11-28-2014, 10:02 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Well that sounds like a few of us have contacted him! Hopefully this will make him more amenable!
Old 11-28-2014, 10:08 AM
YHR

When I contact him and Mike their replies were quick and absolutely yes. I micro'd a Tamiya jerry can in 1/16 scale, and got a reply from him in a couple of days it could now be purchased. When you think about it why wouldn't they. Maybe they hadn't realized the demand in 1/16 scale. If all of us are now asking for parts I guess they know we are out here now!!!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:41 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I invited RanchRx to take a look at this thread and our tank forum. Gave him the links. Maybe he will stop by???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.