Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Future Arriving or Losing the Past?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Future Arriving or Losing the Past?

Old 12-02-2014, 07:24 PM
danlrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
If you are going to 3D print then you have to spend a few extra bucks to get a good printer. Get a Makerbot, they have awesome service, good machines, and lots of options. They are probably the top 3D printer manufacturer and for a reason. All parts I have seen printed on Makerbots are flawless and the software is nice since they upgraded it.
Erik,
I assume this the Makerbot model you suggest?
http://store.makerbot.com/replicator
It's $2,800. They also have a $6K+, larger volume model. Need to check if the print specs are the same.

I was looking at the Lulzbot Taz 4 (about$2,200), but now will also take a serious look at the Makerbot.
I'm putting the cart before the horse - can't draw 3D and not sure what all I would use the printer for, but I can get a printer gratis, so I guess I'll go for it.
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by danlrc
Erik,
I assume this the Makerbot model you suggest?
http://store.makerbot.com/replicator
It's $2,800. They also have a $6K+, larger volume model. Need to check if the print specs are the same.

I was looking at the Lulzbot Taz 4 (about$2,200), but now will also take a serious look at the Makerbot.
I'm putting the cart before the horse - can't draw 3D and not sure what all I would use the printer for, but I can get a printer gratis, so I guess I'll go for it.
Thanks.
Yes the Makerbot is #1. Lulzbot is ok, but for the price difference you will regret it down the road. Makerbot is smooth, and has a great interface. You can print from SD card, wifi, or PC. Some of the Makerbots even have cameras built in so you can monitor them (you will want to do this no matter what printer you use) during the LONG print times from them. I printed once for over 24 hours. It is nice to have a webcam to check occasionally during a lunch break to see if everything is still there. Funny thing, my first thing to print wasn't the whistle everyone else makes but chip bag clips! I still have a ton of them around the house. Filament is getting nicer now too, but make sure and spend the extra $5 or so on good plastic. It really makes a large difference. Tolerances need to be kept to a minimum and the filament needs to be nice and round for a good print. You will be surprised at all the things you can make when you get it. Once you get one you will never look at plastic objects the same way again.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:09 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The Wanhao D4's are copies of the Makerbot. Half the price and the output is just as good. The D5's are something else, huge build area and 0.02mm layers.

http://wanhaousa.com/pages/3d-printers
Old 12-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Wozwasnt
The Wanhao D4's are copies of the Makerbot. Half the price and the output is just as good. The D5's are something else, huge build area and 0.02mm layers.

http://wanhaousa.com/pages/3d-printers
Hmmm, I haven't seen any of those before. They don't seem half bad, they do look like clones though. Do they have the heated build enclosure though? I thought Makerbot had the patent on that. Not the platforms but the whole enclosure.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:38 AM
danlrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a recent (Oct 2014), excellent three part YouTube review of the MakerBot Gen 5, Lulzbot Taz 4 and Ultimaker 2.
Bottom line, they pick Taz 4 as the best, MakerBot print head makes it unusable, and Ultimaker is not that great.
Very thorough reviews....changed my mind on 3D printing. At this stage of the technology, to get high quality prints, you have to really spend time on the interface software setup, a ton of mechanical details, etc. Basically, you need to be a 3D printing geek and it becomes a hobby/pursuit in itself.
So I think I'll go back to the lathe, hand tools, CA, hot glue, solder etc and wait a couple more years until hobby level 3D printing matures a bit.
Watch the reviews - takes time but worth it if you are thinking at all about pursuing 3D printing.. The last review has a summary of their conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc3u...LDv_ZF3veIo1Yg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wylk...eIo1Yg&index=3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc3u...eIo1Yg&index=4
Old 12-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

danlrc ......
I agree with you about waiting for a while. Back in olden times, when my first desk top computer needed a DOS command to operate, I was convinced that I was the village idiot. Then Windows saved the day for me. Right now I think 3D printing is like the early days of computers (for me), but years from now 3D printers might even be voice operated.

"Build me a tank", I would say.

"Which one"? It would answer.

That's when I will buy one (If I live that long).

rex
Old 12-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Hmmm, I haven't seen any of those before. They don't seem half bad, they do look like clones though. Do they have the heated build enclosure though? I thought Makerbot had the patent on that. Not the platforms but the whole enclosure.

The D4's are clones (even uses Makerbot software). The prints from my D4 are just as good as my mates Replicator 2X.

With the 5th Gen printers the Wanhaos have (IMO) taken a lead as not only does the D5 have a huge build area it also has a higher print resolution, 20 microns to the Makerbots 100 microns. Also the D5 can print at up to 300mms.

The Wanhaos don't have heated enclosures (as you say Makerbot have the patent to that)*. Heated beds and enclosures are only needed for printing in ABS and Wanhao are moving away from that. PET is a newer material that prints like PLA, has all the advantages of ABS with none of the disadvantages (no need for a hot bed and no warping.)

* People on the 3d forums are worrid that the big companies are patenting all the ideas that were pretty much open source and thats going to stifle the technology. These types of printers were known as Fused deposition modeling (FDM) printers but that term is tademarked by Stratasys Inc (Makerbot) and recently Stratasys Inc have started threating their main competitors with legal action if they use the term FDM with any none Makerbot printer. So now these types of printers are know as fused filament fabrication (FFF) printers .
Old 12-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Imex-Erik

I will definitely look into them then. After I get a few tank things sorted out I will start hitting the bossman up for a printer again. We have a few exciting new projects coming up and a nice rehash of a tank coming up