Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

First tank - want something quality

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

First tank - want something quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 06:36 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Ooops! Forgot about the battery and charger, even better!!! Is the Futaba the 2.4GHz version as well?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 AM
Cruiser133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Ok I usually stay out of these conversations but I'll jump in here... my name is Erik, I work at IMEX/Taigen and handle most all Tank stuff for us. Our tanks are pretty nice and we have a range of them from plastic to metal models. Recently we acquired a new tech here and with that help we are now able to double check all tanks before they go out. They are started, fired, ran, hatches taped down, styrofoam added to handles and barrel support, and more. This has almost ELIMINATED all issues customers have had. Granted, shipping will still cause a problem every once and a while, but if it does we do our BEST and more to make sure our customers are happy. Many forum members here can back me up there, if something is wrong you can be happy knowing I get stuff fixed very quickly.
Now since you have a nice TX, there is a nice little adapter board called the RC2TG from RCTA here:http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=258 that will allow you to use your own TX for our tanks and have a hobby grade radio with airsoft This board is compatible with all of our current tanks. I have a few on order myself for a few projects coming up...
Now on to model choice, we have lots of metal models but of course the Tiger is the most popular. I like our Russian models personally, our T34 just launched and is pretty nice. The new Sherman from us is super nice though, the lower hull is quite thick and should be much easier to waterproof than the last models All parts are easily obtainable through our dealers (some are present here on the forums like Artistic Hobbies, Immortal Hobbies, and ETO Armor) or directly through us. I take all tank calls personally here and my phone number is in my signature if you ever need me. If something breaks, you have a question, or just anything tank related I can be reached at the number below. At IMEX/Taigen we make customer service a priority and I can guarantee you will be happy with our products.
Erik, when will complete lower Sherman kits be available? It will either be you guys or Mato for my Jumbo project depending on availability and cost....
Old 12-02-2014, 07:35 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiser133
Erik, when will complete lower Sherman kits be available? It will either be you guys or Mato for my Jumbo project depending on availability and cost....
Not on this shipment but the next most likely. Since our lowers do not match other tanks we went ahead and stocked up on tanks for now for the initial push. The next shipment will contain parts and new items We have a LOT of orders going out so I might be kinda silent for the next few days.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:01 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.lightinthebox.com/vstank-...y_p467454.html
Old 12-02-2014, 09:23 AM
delray901

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
Actually I would go with the T-34 since the tiger is very heavy and unless the back yard is grass-less it could become a problem with the gear boxes.
the idea is that a lighter tank would float over the grass? Seems like these tiger tanks should be pretty strong with the dual motors?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 AM
delray901

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Ok I usually stay out of these conversations but I'll jump in here... my name is Erik, I work at IMEX/Taigen and handle most all Tank stuff for us. Our tanks are pretty nice and we have a range of them from plastic to metal models. Recently we acquired a new tech here and with that help we are now able to double check all tanks before they go out. They are started, fired, ran, hatches taped down, styrofoam added to handles and barrel support, and more. This has almost ELIMINATED all issues customers have had. Granted, shipping will still cause a problem every once and a while, but if it does we do our BEST and more to make sure our customers are happy. Many forum members here can back me up there, if something is wrong you can be happy knowing I get stuff fixed very quickly.
Now since you have a nice TX, there is a nice little adapter board called the RC2TG from RCTA here:http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=258 that will allow you to use your own TX for our tanks and have a hobby grade radio with airsoft This board is compatible with all of our current tanks. I have a few on order myself for a few projects coming up...
Now on to model choice, we have lots of metal models but of course the Tiger is the most popular. I like our Russian models personally, our T34 just launched and is pretty nice. The new Sherman from us is super nice though, the lower hull is quite thick and should be much easier to waterproof than the last models All parts are easily obtainable through our dealers (some are present here on the forums like Artistic Hobbies, Immortal Hobbies, and ETO Armor) or directly through us. I take all tank calls personally here and my phone number is in my signature if you ever need me. If something breaks, you have a question, or just anything tank related I can be reached at the number below. At IMEX/Taigen we make customer service a priority and I can guarantee you will be happy with our products.
Its goood to see this level of vendor support. Are all of your tanks metal bottom with plastic tops?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:35 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by delray901
the idea is that a lighter tank would float over the grass? Seems like these tiger tanks should be pretty strong with the dual motors?
Because of the weight of the all metal models, rough terrain tends to tax the drivetrain, leading to either gearbox problems or stalling the motors which push the ESCs past their design limits. It can be overcome, but with the appropriate attention and upgrading.

Personally, I don't understand the want for metal beyond the tub that the suspension connects to. It adds to weight which has a whole host of issues, does not cast detail as well as styrene and is really hard to mod or repair.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Imex-Erik

With a cheap motor upgrade (I use banebots motors) torque will never be an issue. Gearboxes however should always be the first upgrade on a tank. Steel gearboxes are much smoother and will last a lifetime on a tank. A full bearing gearbox in a 4:1 reduction will make your tank smooth as butter too. Add the gearboxes to the cheap motor upgrades and you can climb a tree if you had the grip. But plastic vs metal is mainly a preference. Plastic tanks are good for inside use and a bit of outside use. The plastic tracks are pretty durable even for outside use. It will however "float" over certain objects outside as the weight is not enough to use the suspension to its full extent. The metal tanks however with the added weight will make outside driving more realistic. It will however make your gf or wife EXTREMELY mad if you drive it across the wood flooring, just a note.
Really it is just preference, some like metal tanks, some like plastic. The plastic tanks are nice and if you see me at a trade show I usually have both running just to show people. The plastic tanks run around 5-8lbs while the metal ones go from 10-17lbs.
Its goood to see this level of vendor support. Are all of your tanks metal bottom with plastic tops?
Thanks! I've been trolling the forums for a while now, I believe my two years is coming up soon RCU has always been my favorite, with every tank we sell or anytime I talk to a newbie on the phone I always recommend this place. We have some really good builders here and as a community we are very knowledgeable. If someone doesn't know, chances are you only have to wait a few min and someone will chime in
Also yes, currently all of our metal version tanks do come with a plastic upper hull.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:56 PM
mondo

Originally Posted by ausf
Because of the weight of the all metal models, rough terrain tends to tax the drivetrain, leading to either gearbox problems or stalling the motors which push the ESCs past their design limits. It can be overcome, but with the appropriate attention and upgrading.

Personally, I don't understand the want for metal beyond the tub that the suspension connects to. It adds to weight which has a whole host of issues, does not cast detail as well as styrene and is really hard to mod or repair.
I completely concur. Metal, apart from running gear and hull is a bit of a misnomer. That said the most complete tank on the market, the Tammy Leo 2 is nearly all plastic, ABS, styrene and nylon gears and allot of bearings. Tamiyas next tank will have that same gearbox.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Imex-Erik

Except for the running gear such as the gearbox, drive wheels, and idler wheels, I do not mind a plastic tank myself either. I mean metal is cool, but plastic is ok too. Heck, plastic is easier to work with most of the time. I like the metal lower hull and plastic upper hull and turret myself.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:10 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the same camp. Metal tub and suspension arms, but the rest can be plastic as far as I am concerned. However there is just someting about an All metal tank that makes you want to own at least one.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:49 PM
delray901

Originally Posted by YHR
I am in the same camp. Metal tub and suspension arms, but the rest can be plastic as far as I am concerned. However there is just someting about an All metal tank that makes you want to own at least one.
I have never seen any of these tanks in person. I was hoping that they would be "tank like". Something that looks a feels kind of substantial.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:49 PM
mondo

It's a trade off between weight, construction and the power available to a fairly small RC model. The more weight, the more stress on the parts, the more powerful the motors need to be and that kills battery life. That said they're generally all substantial in size and weight. How they move is often down to how good the suspension is though. Needs to be soft enough to move but stiff enough to not sag.

I've wanted a Mato Panzer iii for a while as when it says all metal it actually is. Being able to solder the PE directly onto the tank has a certain attraction. There Tiger 1 from Mato needs an angle grinder though. It has all the old HL imperfections.

Last edited by mondo; 12-02-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:03 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mondo
Being able to solder the PE directly onto the tank has a certain attraction.
I don't think that'll work. I may be wrong, but the alloy they're made of doesn't take solder too well.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:29 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by YHR
... there is just someting about an All metal tank that makes you want to own at least one.
That's why I still haven't painted my Mato Panzer III. Once you paint it you can't really tell the difference between metal and plastic, and with the PIII I really like showing off the fact that it is almost 100% metal (the tires are rubber, so, perfectionist that I am, I can't bring myself to call it a 100% metal tank. I know that's a little overboard but that's just me. Others are, of course, free to do whatever they please). The point is that Dan's absolutely right, there's just something about an all metal tank that really sets it apart from the plastic.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:33 AM
mondo

Not wanting to go off topic but how have you got it set up? Which ESC did you use etc? After I get a Type 10 I'm determined to finally get one of these.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Max-U52

Since it's airsoft I just have the Taigen electronics in it right now, but this might end up as one of the airsoft tanks run off the 9X.

I also have to get around to hooking up the machine gun I got for it with the LED.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2122.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	2051876  
Old 12-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Rustytrax

My comment about T1 vs T34 was how the two tanks preform in grass. The T1 will always have a ton of stress on the idler. It is just a design characteristic. There is gobs of surface pressure and grip which impedes the ability to turn sharply. The T34 just slides better for many reasons. One being the track design.
This is just my suggestion since the original post was about a good choice to play in the backyard.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
My comment about T1 vs T34 was how the two tanks preform in grass. The T1 will always have a ton of stress on the idler. It is just a design characteristic. There is gobs of surface pressure and grip which impedes the ability to turn sharply. The T34 just slides better for many reasons. One being the track design.
This is just my suggestion since the original post was about a good choice to play in the backyard.
The large amount of bearings on the T34 vs the T1 sure does make it glide a lot smoother for sure. What is funny is that even though the T34 comes with a 1700mAh batter, it last longer than most of the 2000mAh battery tanks!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 AM
delray901

Originally Posted by maxu52
Since it's airsoft I just have the Taigen electronics in it right now, but this might end up as one of the airsoft tanks run off the 9X.

I also have to get around to hooking up the machine gun I got for it with the LED.
is this an out of the box mato panzer 3 or do you have upgrades? That looks like a durable machine.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:30 PM
bananapirate

Don't know how you feel about russian tanks but my KV1 with metal tracks and gears is a fantastic runner. The taigen version is great
Old 12-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Max-U52

is this an out of the box mato panzer 3 or do you have upgrades? That looks like a durable machine.
Out of the box it has gearboxes installed, and a plastic plate in the bottom to mount the electronics with clips to hold the battery, but that's it. I had to put in ALL the electronics, including switches and wiring. It is a VERY sturdy little tank. Runs like a dream. I was actually kinda proud of myself for fabricating the brackets to mount all the switches so you can access them through one of the hatches, but I try not to get too cocky.