Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

The new 1/16 Mato M4A3 (75)W Sherman 100% Metal Version

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

The new 1/16 Mato M4A3 (75)W Sherman 100% Metal Version

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 01:09 AM
zfhht

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will a complete lower kit ever be offered? I could use one for my Jumbo kit...

Last edited by zfhht; 01-29-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:01 AM
B/Man

Hi Rona,

Would it be possible to post the dimensions of the Sherman lower hull? I'm interested in the length and width of the hull as I'm also considering one for my Jumbo project and would like to make sure it will fit the upper I have.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 AM
SaltySteel

http://www.matomart.com/product.php?c=1000103

I see the 100% Metal Sherman is finally for sell on the USA website. But all I see is just the IR version. When will the airsoft version be available? I was wanting to buy one this week.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:01 PM
delche

Is it possible to convert the regular M4A3 version over to the metal verson?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:43 AM
SaltySteel

Any word on when the AirSoft version will be for sell on the MatoMart website? So far they only have the IR version. I'm really wanting the airsoft version as soon as possible please.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:01 AM
SaltySteel

So any word at all on when the airsoft version will be available for sell on the USA MatoMart website? Anyone have any info at all? They only have the IR version as of right now. I'm looking for the painted RTR airsoft version. Thanks for any info. Been waiting to buy one for a very long time now.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:00 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Typically it is not a big job to replace the IR with an airsoft. Someone who knows the Clark system well can probably guide you through the wiring hook up. With stock HL electronics this was an easy swap, but I am not sure of what is involved with the Clark.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:39 PM
SaltySteel

Wiring shouldn't be an issue. But I would have to buy the airsoft barrel and match the paint and weathering details which I'm not great at. I'd have to buy the airsoft firing unit and I'm not sure how the servo connections hook up compared to the IR version. My thing is I'm spending 700 dollars on a very nice tank and I don't want to spend even more to modify it into the version I want. Parts change, rewiring, painting, whatever else might be involved. I would like to keep it bone stock. Just maybe add some nets and ammo crates for a more wartime look. So hopefully the airsoft version will be out soon for the painted RTR option. Hopefully info on it will be released soon. I don't battle so I'm not big on the IR tanks. I like shooting stuff with the airsoft though. So far I've only had the Taigen Tiger 1 and the Torro King Tiger. Both are awesome but I plan on selling them when I get the Mato Sherman. My buddy is getting the Tiger 1 so we'll have some Fury style airsoft battles.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I doubt you'll even be able to get an answer to this question til after the Chinese new year. Then you should be able to get a date for airsoft release. However, changing to airsoft is easy but you do need the parts. It's much more difficult to go from airsoft to IR than from IR to airsoft.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:24 AM
SaltySteel

Ok, thanks for the info.

I guess after months and months of waiting I am just getting anxious. lol

Last edited by SaltySteel; 02-23-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:10 AM
SaltySteel

I hate to keep bugging about this question, but any news on the RTR airsoft version?
Old 03-12-2015, 01:58 AM
Mato Tanks

Originally Posted by SaltySteel
I hate to keep bugging about this question, but any news on the RTR airsoft version?
Hi SaltySteel,

Currently we do not have plan to release the RTR airsoft version. If you have other questions,please feel free to email me.

Thanks,

Rona
Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 AM
CaptainB

Salty Steel,

Converting from IR to Airsoft using the Clark board is not as straightforward as you think - I'm quite experienced with the HL and tamiya tanks but am struggling myself to get airsoft working with Clark boards on a few tanks but hav'nt given up yet. I'll let you know when I've cracked mine but be prepared for some frustration..................

CaptB
Old 03-12-2015, 04:09 AM
Max-U52

Hey Salty,

The physical changes to the tank itself aren't hard at all to go from IR to airsoft, but as for the connections to the clark I'm not sure. CaptB has MUCH more experience with that so I'd see if he'll keep you in the loop as far as his conversions are going. In fact, CaptB, if you wanted to start a thread all about clark and airsoft I'd be a very happy camper. The clark package I have coming is supposed to be for airsoft, but I don't know if that will make things any easier. We all know that instructions are a very rare beast in this hobby, so maybe a thread dedicated to hobby grade boards would be helpful for a whole bunch of us rookies. I love the hobby and I want the best tanks I can get, but I really rely on the help I get here. I don't think I'd be able to do it without all the stuff I learn right here. Here's just one example - the IBU2 doesn't use the trigger switch wires at all, but nobody ever mentions that so when I get the board I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what to do with the trigger wires, and the whole time I didn't even need them!
Old 03-12-2015, 05:13 AM
CaptainB

Cool

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Hey Salty,

The physical changes to the tank itself aren't hard at all to go from IR to airsoft, but as for the connections to the clark I'm not sure. CaptB has MUCH more experience with that so I'd see if he'll keep you in the loop as far as his conversions are going. In fact, CaptB, if you wanted to start a thread all about clark and airsoft I'd be a very happy camper. The clark package I have coming is supposed to be for airsoft, but I don't know if that will make things any easier. We all know that instructions are a very rare beast in this hobby, so maybe a thread dedicated to hobby grade boards would be helpful for a whole bunch of us rookies. I love the hobby and I want the best tanks I can get, but I really rely on the help I get here. I don't think I'd be able to do it without all the stuff I learn right here. Here's just one example - the IBU2 doesn't use the trigger switch wires at all, but nobody ever mentions that so when I get the board I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what to do with the trigger wires, and the whole time I didn't even need them!
Max-U52 - yes I will post a 'how to' on the Clark - airsoft changes as the Clark Website instructions are not all that clear. One thing I have discovered is that you need an airsoft gun with a microswitch added to it so that the pcb knows when the gun has fired and can then go thru the shell re-load routine. Mine are older tanks and dont have the microswitch so I will have to add that - newer models have the switch already fitted but its probably not guaranteed. More news later when I have a fully operational tank.

cheers

CaptB
Old 03-12-2015, 06:50 AM
clarkmodel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptainB
Max-U52 - yes I will post a 'how to' on the Clark - airsoft changes as the Clark Website instructions are not all that clear. One thing I have discovered is that you need an airsoft gun with a microswitch added to it so that the pcb knows when the gun has fired and can then go thru the shell re-load routine. Mine are older tanks and dont have the microswitch so I will have to add that - newer models have the switch already fitted but its probably not guaranteed. More news later when I have a fully operational tank.

cheers

CaptB
Micro switch the most reliable way to sync, becasue motor speed is verying with battery voltage.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Max-U52

That's one good thing about the new airsoft units from Imex. They come with the trigger switch already installed.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:06 AM
SaltySteel

Thanks for the info guys. Real bummer that there won't be an RTR airsoft Sherman in all metal. The all metal Tiger tank has both versions available so I figured all of the metal tanks would have both versions in RTR as well. Guess I'll have to spend 700 dollars on the IR version and then spend extra money on top of that to convert it into airsoft, which I'm sure will void the warranty. I'm not sure that I really want to spend this amount of money anymore on an all metal tank with a voided warranty and the possibility of me not being able to get it to function correctly. Plus I don't have an airbrush system so if I have to change the barrel then I'll never be able to match the paint and weathering details correctly.

The only tanks I have any experience with is the two that I own. A Taigen Tiger 1 Late Model and a Torro King Tiger. I have no experience with IR or with the Clark system. And I have never performed a conversion. If the Mato Sherman uses servos instead of the setup that Taigen uses then I'll be extra lost on what parts will be needed for the conversion. The only "mods" I have performed is a few details with a paint brush. That's it.

I have a heavily modified Traxxas Slash LCG 4x4. Modifying it was simple and straight forward. The only original part is the chassis. Lol But when it comes to these tanks I feel lost. I just wanted an airsoft RTR version in all metal that came painted and had the electronics with it. I'll spend the money for that. But spending that money on a tank that I'll have to take apart, change out several components, different wiring harnesses, and try to color match a different barrel with a hand brush is something that I'm probably not going to do. I guess I got my hopes up too soon. I've always wanted a 100% metal US tank that shot airsoft. I still really appreciate the info everyone. All of you are very helpful. Thanks!

And by the way, yes I have looked at the IMEX Taigen Sherman but after seeing a 100% metal tank with better electronics I really wanted the Mato Sherman. I don't battle so the weight doesn't bother me. I actually like the heavy tanks. They look and feel awesome and they drive more like a real tank. Plus, seeing my friends faces when they go to pick up my 20 pound Tiger or 25 pound King Tiger and hearing their reactions is priceless. Lol

Again thanks for the info and for the help.

Last edited by SaltySteel; 03-13-2015 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:33 AM
Max-U52

Hey Salty, don't lose hope, Bro. Stay Salty.

All the stuff you talked about seemed scary as hell to me when I first got into this habit (I really meant to write hobby there. Is that a Freudian slip, or do Freudian slips only have to do with sex?) and now I have to keep reminding myself that I still have a lot to learn so I don't get too cocky. Just like you always wanted a certain Sherman, I always wanted a first class Jagdpanther. I started with the $115 HL JP, and a little over $700 later I have my Jagdpanther.

All of the stuff you talked about, you can do, just with what you'll learn right here. These are the coolest, most willingly helpful guys I've ever met. We'll all be here to help you get whatever info you need to get the job done. I myself have sent guys free stuff to help them get to where they want to be, and a whole lot more guys have done that favor for me. Just to demonstrate that I'm sincere, if you'll tell me you'll commit to converting a Sherman to the tank you want it to be, I'll send you a brand new airsoft unit with the trigger switch attached, at absolutely no cost to you. I'll even pay the postage, and I don't even know what country you're in so that's how serious I am. And anyone here that knows me can tell you that I don't B.S. If I say I'm gonna do it, then dammit it gets done. I'm obsessive to the point of mild insanity when it comes to my credibility.

So stick with it Salty (I keep wanting to say Salty Dog, cuz I think that's a cool name. Not that there's anything wrong with Salty Steel, also cool). I can't speak for anyone but me, but I think all the guys here want every single one of us to get our tanks to be the best that they can be, if the army doesn't mind my pilfering their slogan. So let me know if you'll take me up on this. Let's make that all metal airsoft Sherman a reality, Brother.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 PM
SaltySteel

I'm up for it when I get the funds. Right now I'm throwing money into a hole in the water...if you know what I mean? lol
Old 05-01-2015, 04:22 AM
robertalan51

Why did MATO discontinue their "cast hull" version Sherman. I was really interested in one of those. Rob
Old 05-01-2015, 04:56 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IF you email Mato, they might be able to get you one. They don't have them in stock anymore, but I think they can get you one sent directly from China if you want one, You would have to email them and see if this is still an option. It was the last time I inquired.