Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long RC Range problems

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long RC Range problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:24 AM
BadBill
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long RC Range problems

Just got my first tank, and even though I got an inexpensive one, it seems very nice- with one exception. The RC range is only about 15 feet. I have gone over the obvious stuff, ( I have plenty of RC experience ) - Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible to put one of my "real" radios in it? Here's the tank I got-

http://www.bananahobby.com/heng-long...ueryId=1382588
Old 12-01-2014, 09:08 AM
kizwan

15 feet is too short. Interference maybe? My bulldog can run more than 15 feet before loosing signal. If you want to use hobby grade radio, you'll need to change the electronics, e.g. Clark's board, EL MOD, IBU2, DBC3 or RC5HL.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what I have available, and some back ground every new tanker should think about before you spend money

http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/infrared-battling.html
Old 12-01-2014, 12:16 PM
BadBill

Dan,
Will that board enable me to use one of my JR Spektrum radios? Thanks!
Old 12-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the after market systems allow the use of a Hobby Grade radio system. that is one of the main functions of these new boards aswell as making them Tamiya compatible in the battle configuration. all of Dans systems work very well and the price just cant be beat.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:47 PM
ausf

Yes Bill,

I use a DX6i with the Orange Rxs in most of my tanks, HL with DBC/Benedini or Tamiya. The DBC will get you where you want to be, closer to RC like you're used to.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:50 PM
kizwan

What is the best board that come with sound system built into it other than Clark's board? Basically tank control & sound system all in one board.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:44 AM
YHR

Originally Posted by BadBill
Dan,
Will that board enable me to use one of my JR Spektrum radios? Thanks!
Others have answered the question for me. I sent you an email.

This system works with the HL RX 18 with the separate receiver. The DBC3 replaces that receiver. The newer 2.4 ghz have the receiver as part of the ESC, and the DBC3 can not be added to these.

Also, I highly recommend a new set of gears with a lower gear ratio
Old 12-22-2014, 07:35 AM
BadBill

OK, I got the DBC / BARC and installed it by the directions yesterday. Very easy, but it became immediately apparent that everything was plugged in wrong- wrong sticks activating wrong functions. I am using a JR 9303 2.4 transmitter, so I figured maybe the drawing was just for Futaba channel order. Tried moving things around, but ended up just getting more confused- which channel should control firing/recoil? When I had everything hooked up one time the recoil worked with the elevator stick, but if I change that channel to the throttle stick on the left it doesn't work? Am I going to need to play with end point adjustments or something ? Seems like the unit will work good but there is something I don't understand LOL.... Thanks for any help ya'll can give!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1418437168.png
Views:	1060
Size:	572.6 KB
ID:	2056953  
Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 AM
YHR

OK, I got the DBC / BARC and installed it by the directions yesterday. Very easy, but it became immediately apparent that everything was plugged in wrong- wrong sticks activating wrong functions. I am using a JR 9303 2.4 transmitter, so I figured maybe the drawing was just for Futaba channel order. Tried moving things around, but ended up just getting more confused- which channel should control firing/recoil? When I had everything hooked up one time the recoil worked with the elevator stick, but if I change that channel to the throttle stick on the left it doesn't work? Am I going to need to play with end point adjustments or something ? Seems like the unit will work good but there is something I don't understand LOL.... Thanks for any help ya'll can give!
I will help you. Because people have there own personal preferences the connection to the receiver can always lead to trouble. Let me know how you want your radio to function and then we can work at getting the servo's plugged into the right spot on the receiver. ie what stick do you want for throttle and steering I am guessing they are mixed up.

Do you have a spare servo??? This can help in identifying servo function,

Did I email you an operation manual.?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:44 AM
BadBill

Originally Posted by YHR
I will help you. Because people have there own personal preferences the connection to the receiver can always lead to trouble. Let me know how you want your radio to function and then we can work at getting the servo's plugged into the right spot on the receiver. ie what stick do you want for throttle and steering I am guessing they are mixed up.

Do you have a spare servo??? This can help in identifying servo function,

Did I email you an operation manual.?
Dan,
I just did some searching online and I have the feeling that I can handle this if I have the manual. Heck, I thought you just plugged it in and it works, lol. Try emailing that to me and I will get back to you with any questions after that. Thanks much!!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 AM
YHR

Hi Bill

I sent you the operating manual. I haven't heard back so I am hoping no news is good news.?.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 AM
BadBill

Originally Posted by YHR
Hi Bill

I sent you the operating manual. I haven't heard back so I am hoping no news is good news.?.

Probably. I just didn't have a chance to mess with it last night. Hope to tonight.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:17 AM
BadBill

I got everything working on the table last night, looks good- fire is working with my retract switch, everything else works just like the stock transmitter. I'll try it outside tomorrow and see how she does.
Thanks!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:18 AM
YHR

I am glad to hear that Bill. If you ever want to upgrade to great sound you can as the BARC is a Benedini Encoder as well as everything else it does.

You now have the option of turning off the hull recoil, which can allow you to shoot on the fly. You can also disable the superspin if you wish, and add momentum. Be sure to read the operating manual, as it gives clear instruction on how you do this from your transmitter, prior to starting the engine., Once changed these options stay as you left them, so you don't need to go through the process every time.

Your range will be as good as the transmitter receiver you are operating, which for Tanks is more then adequate, as it probably exceeds the site line.

Cheers

Dan
Old 12-24-2014, 09:32 AM
BadBill

What do you mean by momentum?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Panther G

These after market systems have come a long way and Dan's system is one of the best out there. It does use THE best sound system on the market so that should tell you how well his system will work. Me I preffer simpler systems like many that do. The new systems can be a little confusing even to us guys who have been in the hobby for a while.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:39 PM
YHR

What do you mean by momentum?
Please read the manual I sent

The BARC has a momentum feature that can be turned on.. You set this with the left stick before you start the tank. What it does is add a small amount of speed up and wind down to the ESC so the tank doesn't act like a Jack Rabbit. Ie It won't go instantly from forward to reverse. It will auto slowdown and speed up in the other direction. It is not a lot of momentum, but it is enough to smooth out the tank and improves the performance of the ESC.( RX18) It blends on the speed steps together so you end up with a very proportional response from the RX18

Cheers
Old 12-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Marc780

The heng long 2.4 Ghz system works very well and plugs into an existing RX18. Just bind the transmitter to the receiver (a lot of places will just do that for you before they send it like TPA store on amazon) and you are ready to drive your tank. )binding is a very simple chore, you turn on your transmitter, hold down the start button, also hold down the tiny button on the binding wire on the receiver until your tank comes to life. Takes about 15 seconds, and that's it, you are done). Range is at least 75 feet with obstructions around, like building. No need for an external antenna so they don't send you one and you can remove your eye poker now if you wanted to. And almost never do you lose signal and have to watch your tank stop for no reason. Transmitters and Rx are available separately if you burn one up (i've burned up two of them and each time it was my fault, for messing with the wiringon the lights while the system was hot).
I'd have quit the hobby long ago if i hadn't found the 2.4 gig radio system, about $70-80 for the works.