Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Battle Armor Transmitter mods.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Battle Armor Transmitter mods.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:37 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battle Armor Transmitter mods.

Now that the BARC 4 has been developed, I wanted to tackle the, "ease of use part". I believe people like to have a simple interface between themselves and the tank. That is one thing the factory radios provided as they were custom built to control the particular tank they were sold with.

However when you switch to a hobby grade radio the controls are universal, and you have to either learn a joystick pattern to activate devices, or do as I have done and customize a radio.

So I have taken a low cost HK T6a, and done some modifications to make it a tank specific BARC 4 controller. This is the prototype, and I am still waiting on three push buttons( BLUE) However this will be the general layout. I will get some graphics developed to spruce it up, but my intent is to make this radio part of a BARC4/TBS package if people find this to their liking.

Also if you have an opinion on the button arrangement, I would like to hear it.. I have always had the Cannon and MG on the left top side of the controller. This is within easy reach of the thumb, and you can hit those buttons in the dark without looking down

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1P1030080.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	2056202  

Last edited by YHR; 12-19-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:11 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice progression of your system Dan.

In terms of button layout, the only problem I see is for those like myself who use the Tamiya method of control (left stick throttle and rotation, right stick steering and elevation/gun).

I've tried the HL way, but I'm used to Tamiya and it's what feels natural. Whenever I've used HL, I'd always get into trouble in the heat of battle, either with steering or firing. Same reason why I can't go switching control with AC, don't want to adjust yaw when I need roll as I'm heading towards that tree.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

This looks very promising Ease of use is always a determining factor when it comes to the masses. Do you think we could do the same with a FS9X or a FS-i6? I have a few of those coming in very soon, hopefully today!
Old 12-19-2014, 09:57 AM
YHR

Aus

I cut my teeth on an HL and find that the most intuitive for me. This could be set up for guys who like Tamiya control

Erik

The FS 6 is the same basic radio as the HL T6A I believe.

I chose this radio because of its easy to use shareware that allows programming the radio on a computer and not through a small screen with transmitter buttons interfaces. I have always found these more elaborate radios a little intimidating with the LCD screens and the TX pushbutton interface. This is also a very inexpensive radio to start with, so for prototyping ideas there is not a lot at risk, and even after my time spent modding it, it can still be purchased at a reasonable cost.

I will most likely provide a tutorial "how to" on my website for the DIY crowd out there.

A couple of things make this my radio of choice. It is inexpensive, 6 channel with channels 5 & 6 proportional to allow servo elevation and FPV camera panning. I have also dropped this thing numerous times, and other then the battery hatch flying off, the thing has never missed a beat <grin>. Receivers can be purchased for less the $10, and when you have multiple tanks this can add up.

I imagine you could configure and mod any radio to work, but not a lot of people are into that. That is why I have decided to make these available to BARC4 users.

Last edited by YHR; 12-19-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Darryl Usher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I came from the airplane world. I steer and power with my left hand. Then that lets me me rotate and fire
with the right hand. I am not limited with 4 ch so I have cannon elevation on 5 ch and machine gun
sweeping left and right on 6 ch. By the way trying to move some people around, so far not to useful.
Darryl
Old 12-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Imex-Erik

As long as both sticks are centered it should be no biggie to swap channels on the receiver right? Then you could run left or right stick throttle. I personally like mode 2 on my transmitters and right stick to move. The left stick I can keep uncentered for elevation. This way I can reuse the TX for other purposes. The servo will stay in the position you leave it so there is less modifications to be done as well. I like the mapping of this TX, simple and easy.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:39 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by Darryl Usher
Well I came from the airplane world. I steer and power with my left hand. Then that lets me me rotate and fire
with the right hand. I am not limited with 4 ch so I have cannon elevation on 5 ch and machine gun
sweeping left and right on 6 ch. By the way trying to move some people around, so far not to useful.
Darryl

That is a simple swap over.(Left hand vs right hand) This radio is 6 channel and the BARC 4 uses all of them and then some as can be seen in the picture, The Tamiya set up for tanks is slightly more complicated as it uses both sticks to control the tank. People who start out like this grow fond of it. It would take a little more work but is doable.

How does elevation work on a channel that is just typically just used for gear retracts?. What I like about this radio is the elevation is controlled by a knob that you just dial in the elevation up or down, and it stays where it is put. Same with the FPV camera. The sweeping MG could be used on this channel if you would prefer.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by YHR
That is a simple swap over.(Left hand vs right hand) This radio is 6 channel and the BARC 4 uses all of them and then some as can be seen in the picture, The Tamiya set up for tanks is slightly more complicated as it uses both sticks to control the tank. People who start out like this grow fond of it. It would take a little more work but is doable.

How does elevation work on a channel that is just typically just used for gear retracts?. What I like about this radio is the elevation is controlled by a knob that you just dial in the elevation up or down, and it stays where it is put. Same with the FPV camera. The sweeping MG could be used on this channel if you would prefer.

So the FPV channel is for spinning the servo in the cupola I'm guessing? Check the new post I made about FPV coming soon to my house That would be a VERY welcome feature for sure!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:02 PM
YHR

Yes it is and I have commented on your post already

Last edited by YHR; 12-19-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Darryl Usher

Dan:
With the radio I am using I do not have a normal landing gear servo ch. I tell the servo what control goes to it
and which port the receiver will see it. The only control that is different is throttle and you have trim choice
either full or bottom half or top half.
Darryl
Old 12-19-2014, 04:28 PM
RichJohnson

Received 375 Likes on 239 Posts

I come from model ships. Throttle and rudder left stick, accessories right stick. That way when holding the transmitter with left hand you can still navigate. I added the fire button to top right of my dx5.
everybody had different ergonomics and what they are used to.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:02 AM
fsciorelli

Dan,

With this radio will I be able to operate with multiple tanks (not at once of course)?

Frank
Old 12-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Panther G

I always nset mine up with all motive controls on the left stick and turret /gun functions on the the right. This enables me to track target with gun as i maneuver. This does however limit your ability to do the fan shots that many tankers use. i was never one for the fan shot. i preferred maneuver and tactics but every one has their preference.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:20 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by fsciorelli
Dan,

With this radio will I be able to operate with multiple tanks (not at once of course)?

Frank

Yes this is a hobby grade radio that can be used in any RC vehicle that uses regular RC.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:43 PM
philipat

I've enjoyed my HL layout - right stick drive and steer and left stick turret rotation and gun elevation. I would prefer to keep the turret rotation and gun elevation on the same stick (centered, but leaves everything where it is when returned to center). One realism aspect of tanks is the ability to move the turret, gun elevation and drive all at the same time. If it takes three sticks or knobs to control that, I'd be concerned with being able to do all three at the same time. Other than that, I like the layout.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:09 PM
YHR

You can configure the radio to elevate the gun using the stick if that is what you prefer.

I am just setting up a my Fury Sherman. Maybe I will post a video of it using the stick for elevation, just to show it can be done that way if you prefer.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Augustus1967

Hello Dan,

Im definitely interested in your New BARC 4 setup with the New ABRAMS in mind...

For Control Setup:
Having yet to buy a Tamiya Kit I'm pretty much an Taigen/HL/Mato guy.
Also, I have Many Hours running Armor Games and Sims...
I Tend to like to have the Hull Controlled by one hand and the Turret (et All) buy the other.
Depending on the Platform, I have run the Turret with my Left or Right hand, which ever Fit Better...
Splitting the Turret Functios Across Both Hands doesn't feel right to me.

But as has been said:
It's Personal Preference.
And the Setup can be Configured to the User's Tastes...
Sounds Great to Me.

-gus
Old 12-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Panther G

This seems to be the trend with alot of the newer guys in the rc tank hobby. Many like to drive control all on one stick and turret control on the other. It just seems the most natural to me and it is always how i set my tanks and radios up