Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New guy needs help. What tank?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New guy needs help. What tank?

Old 12-24-2014, 04:59 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes! Gene is a great guy and a great tanker too as well as a superb business man.

I have dealt and bought from him so you cannot go wrong going to him first.

Jeff
Old 12-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

First I'm sorry for not chiming in earlier, I am working on some tanks here at the warehouse and it is killing all my time
Now down to business but I'll try to make it quick at least. For a backyard basher almost any tank will be ok for you, but you wont see as much realism without some weight in it. Whether you have a plastic tank with weights in it or a metal version tank it wont matter. Water however is another story and should be avoided if possible. Not many tank chassis are really made for water use, but of course all can be modified. You can also waterproof the electronics instead if you are brave with some plasti-dip. I have used it on my RC car ESCs but never a tank one, I'm not sure if that will work so don't try it Send me some plasti-dip and I'll try it for you!
Kit vs. RTR... always a fun one there I know. The kit experience offers the learning experience but RTR can save headaches and wife/gf fights. I know mine is always happier when I don't have a project going that is for sure and I have two ones to put together... We do have a Tiger 1 kit, it is the same model as our TAG12030 metal Tiger 1 kit. The build instructions are in full English and done by myself and a professional model builder. For RTR, we have a lot more to offer, from plastic to metal versions.
You also have the added bonus of having me here as well. A dedicated link directly to the owner and factory where I can get things fixed or righted if things go wrong. I also am here to help with whatever questions you have as well. I've been around these forums for almost 2 years now since I started working for IMEX/Taigen. Anytime something goes wrong, you have a question, need a recommendation, or just want to ask if there is news on something, I'm here. Since I have started we have bumped up both quality and service and will continue to do so with each tank we release. I constantly relay info and I'm always browsing and trying to find ways to connect with these guys here. We are also interested in upgraded electronics and are starting to explore that possibility with the community members that make some of the best items. More on that in the future, hopefully around February
Old 12-24-2014, 09:29 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only water proof chassis I know of is the Mato metal Tiger. It has no holes in the chassis, and has O ring seals on the output drive shafts. You could comfortably drive this tank into water, as long as you didn't go deeper then the front transom.

Last edited by YHR; 12-24-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This side of the RC hobby world doesn't really cater to us tankers. There are not many hobby shops left let alone ones that carry RC tanks. the vendors and dealers that are recommended from guys on this site are the ones that can be trusted and the ones most of us use. Believe me if a vender is no good it is quickly exposed around here.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:15 AM
pedzola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again all, still here just busy with the holidays.

Imex Erik, thanks for the info. Great to have proactive support.

I am thinking more about the Taigen KV1, T34, and Torro KV2.

I would really love a Russian KV2, but I am not buying an $800 Tamiya kit, and it seems the torro version is german variant.

I might just go with the KV1 and see if i can find a KV2 upper half in the future. Erik, any plans to release a Taigen Russian KV2? Or how bout an SU122 on the T34 chassis? Do you know of any dealers with the torro kv2 in stock? I couldnt find any online. I would at least like to find out the price. Is the chassis the same as the taigen kv1?

If I get the KV1 I would really like to also get the 4:1 steel gearboxes for it. Dont care if i have to remove smoke unit. Any other necessary upgrades for this tank?

Any thoughts on taigen kv1 vs t34?

thanks.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Gun Tech

pedzola,
I just have to chime in here. I have both the KV-2 and T-34 from Taigen/Torro/Imex (pick one). First off the KV-2 is painted, but has no markings applied when shipped, so it's only German if you want to decorate it. Either one is a great choice, but my personal favorite is the KV-2, it is a wonderful beast!, even though it is not as smooth as my T-34. The T-34 is a dream to drive and lots of fun. I just added a Taigen Stug III to the group yesterday and it is a blast. The only negative that pops into my mind is that the T-34 uses a form factor battery, so you can't use the normal size 7.4V batteries, but there is no reason that you can't buy spares just to fit it. The Stug III I got has the same battery, so now they can share. I think of the two designs, my personal recommendation would be the KV in either format. It is large and imposing, grinds over and through anything and has plenty of room in the hull for working or adding items as time goes by. I seriously doubt that you will be happy with just one, you will get the itch to add more in the future, so buy what you like and learn from the experience. Next thing you know, you will "know" what you want in your next tank. Just my two cents worth.

Mark
Old 12-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Gun Tech
pedzola,
I just have to chime in here. I have both the KV-2 and T-34 from Taigen/Torro/Imex (pick one). First off the KV-2 is painted, but has no markings applied when shipped, so it's only German if you want to decorate it. Either one is a great choice, but my personal favorite is the KV-2, it is a wonderful beast!, even though it is not as smooth as my T-34. The T-34 is a dream to drive and lots of fun. I just added a Taigen Stug III to the group yesterday and it is a blast. The only negative that pops into my mind is that the T-34 uses a form factor battery, so you can't use the normal size 7.4V batteries, but there is no reason that you can't buy spares just to fit it. The Stug III I got has the same battery, so now they can share. I think of the two designs, my personal recommendation would be the KV in either format. It is large and imposing, grinds over and through anything and has plenty of room in the hull for working or adding items as time goes by. I seriously doubt that you will be happy with just one, you will get the itch to add more in the future, so buy what you like and learn from the experience. Next thing you know, you will "know" what you want in your next tank. Just my two cents worth.

Mark
Where are you getting spare batteries for those?
Old 12-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Gun Tech

max,
Guilty, I haven't ordered spares because I haven't needed that much run time. They are not listed under parts and accessories, but I bet Erik can provide the info. If the tanks are coming in, then they must have batteries to go with them since doo-doo happens and they have to have spares on hand.

Mark