Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Is Bay Area Tankers still around?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Is Bay Area Tankers still around?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:38 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Is Bay Area Tankers still around?

I noticed their site is almost two years out of date. I thought they were going strong. Emailed a question to the one contact on the site about two weeks ago and nothing came back.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Gun Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich,
Contact Tanque for info.

Mark
Old 01-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gun Tech
Rich,
Contact Tanque for info.

Mark
I was going to comment about this subject but thought better of it as I tend to be 'insensitive' when it comes to such things.

The two Bay Area clubs, BAT and Kelly's Heroes are in a state of reorganization due to loss of certain members and resources
which are no longer available. The ultimate state of the clubs is uncertain in my mind although there are others who will likely
disagree with that statement.

I have to add that I've been a none too active member of any club for many years due in part to my focus on 1/10 scale,
distances to travel for club events but more so to just being a going my own way sort of guy. There have been some enjoyable
events in the area, there have been a number of very dedicated people to their clubs and activities. The one great hindrance
has always been the lack of a good centrally located running / home ground for the club. The clubs have basically been nomadic since the
very beginnings with the precursor( AGW) club in 1992 and has never really improved. Due in part to the scarcity of land in this high cost area.
(Actually thinking back to prehistory I believe I started AGW as an informal club in 1989, it morphed into BAT in 1992 under the stewardship
of the redoubtable Rich Upton; even still AGW used to meet at pizza parlors not the best tank running venue - I'm beginning to forget the origins
or rather the timeline involved... boy '89- ages ago pushing 30 years. )

It's unfortunate as there are so many talented and clever people here ( Rex comes to mind) whose work is wonderful to see.

So in short the clubs exist but I'm not really certain who is at their respective helms or what they're doing. Rex Ross may have the latest on K-H and Rich Upton
may have the latest on BAT. Winter has always been a time of lessened activity here, probably common everywhere.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 01-04-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:06 AM
fsciorelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich,

I have been involved with the club in the past, but have not recently because its just too far for me to commute to the SF Bay area from the foothills east of Sacramento. I even offered to establish some territory for battles behind my house, but I guess it was too far for those guys to come out my way as well. Is there a message I can forward for you? BTW if you are out my way (Cameron Park, CA) it might be interesting for some battles etc.

Frank
Old 01-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Jerry.......
I think you described the current situation with Kellys Heroes very accurately. I can't think of anything I would add to your observations.
rex
Old 01-04-2015, 08:43 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I had sent a message from the website email to Rich upton and never got a response. I wondered if he was still running the club, or around at all?

I was going to suggest a meet in Lodi CA in April.

The Military Vehicle Collectors of CA have a big meet the third weekend in april every year at a KOA campground. We take up the whole huge camp ground and fill it with antique army vehicles. I was thinking it would be a neat cross over event for a tank battle. I have in the past taken my Sherman and Tamiya Humvee and run them around at the meet and gotten lots of attention from the folks there.

Any way, its just a suggestion. The event runs Monday through Sunday with the big days Friday and Saturday. Its at Camp Delta (Tower Park) West of Lodi CA.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:57 AM
fsciorelli

I'll pass it along
Old 01-05-2015, 04:07 PM
armornut

I was a member of both, not any more due to very different reasons. Jerry was nice in his post I'll follow suit. I had to drive from Fresno to the bay area for each club, and after I had huge battle ground no one would come. Your best bet is to get with someone close enough to bear the drive and do it that way. Club politics becomes more a problem with an official club, with a group of friends it's less likely to end up grinding to a halt. Just my 2 cents

Justin "armornut" Day
Old 01-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife and I routinely travel to battle our tanks. San Fran, Fresno, or Sac is well within travel distance for us. We'd participate in a battleday.