Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen IMEX HL Tamiya Abrams Tank Hybrid

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen IMEX HL Tamiya Abrams Tank Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Taigen IMEX HL Tamiya Abrams Tank Hybrid

Happy New Year.

Got the Abrams from IMEX and it arrived on Tuesday this week. Played with it a bit that day, out of the box, worked just fine, but I had a different direction in mind for the model (The current Abrams “diesel solution” offered by GDLS includes the Tognum America/12V883 diesel engine):

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/s...dest-proposal/

The Taigen IMEX Abrams is a very cool offering as is, but the Abrams makes a great platform to go any number of other electronic directions, metal upgrades, bearings etc and this build is based on Tamiya's components. As to the real Abrams, the next batch of 5000 Abrams the US Army does not want may have a new power plant, as the Honeywell produced turbine has gained haters and enemies in high places over the last 30 years or so.

Parts Sources:
IMEX: Abrams Tank
Bob, the commander from rcu: Futaba 2.4 radio
jrc (Jason) eBay: DMD-MF, Flash and misc parts
AAF Museum: Tamiya Battle Unit

FYI: Eric's new IMEX gear boxes run great and offer perfect speed and control for urban infrared tank fighting. Convoy high speed capability is often a problem in a tense rc model tank fight...

The Abram's reviews already posted on rcu are certainly valid in my opinion, so I will pass on any attempt to review the model, past saying I like it a lot and it is HUGE. Tamiya Leopard 2A6 huge. Finishing the paint work is next.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Abrams.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	2062336   Click image for larger version

Name:	TBU_Abrams.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	2062337  

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 01-08-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:23 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the rear defense with the hatch....he he.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey John, that's a good lookin' tank and the tammy apple/mushroom looks right at home there, something it can never quite pull off on WWII armor. How did you like converting it to hobby grade with the Tamiya system? Would you consider doing a more detailed review on that part? I've often wondered how it compares to the clark package upgrade. I've dealt with Bob in the past so I know that part was cool, how about AAF? Were shipping times and rates reasonable? One of these days I will get a Tamiya Sherman from them. I would've already but all the hubbub over Fury kinda dimmed the enthusiasm. Does the futaba package give you the option for more upgrades later with extra channels, or are they all taken up by what it has now? Just one thing I should point out, that's not an Imex Taigen tank, it's a Heng Long. When they came out Bill scored a load of them, mainly for us guys here on RCU, but when they're gone Imex won't be carrying them again. The good news is that an Imex/Taigen Abrams IS coming (or possibly an Imex/Torro?), but it will be a much better platform than the Heng Long, I've heard with metal lower and torsion bar suspension. That's one of the main reasons I didn't get one of the current Abrams, I'm holding out for the Imex/Taigen version. But first a freakin' Jagdtiger already!! Yes, I'm impatient for that one.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:25 PM
kizwan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish LHS over here carry Imex/Taigen tanks & parts.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Maybe not on the photos. The converting process is a joy, simple compared to building a Tamiya rc tank kit and way faster.

Though, I will be taking the tank apart to finish painting it and will try and take some photos of the modifications down the road. This tank came with Eric's upgraded 4:1 metal black gearboxes and a Taigen marked controller with a mounted fan and 2.4 radio (I will re-purpose the controller parts and radio for another project).

Updated changes on 1/23/15: Basically, changing six rc wire plugs (find plugs with wire leads for the Tamiya Controllers from your local rc hobby shop, eBay or Amazon) to let the Tamiya controllers operate the HL rotation unit, the HL elevation unit and Eric's black gearbox motors. Left the airsoft unit mostly intact, enough to serve the purpose for gun elevation (cut the bottom off the case through to allow for turret rotation) and to run the flash cable through it and up the gun barrel and pulled the mantlet HL LED to add a coaxial flashing Tamiya machine gun (used Tamiya JS-2 MG bag ).

Dan (YHR) was out of stock, due to Christmas orders, and next time I would use his system. Currently, his system is going into a Gepard build and it is awesome, but that Gepard is not a TBU tank, so sound effects are really important. For this HL Abrams, the TBU is most important.

HL has aftermarket metal drive sprockets, idlers, bearings etc available, or so claimed in their Abrams instruction manual. The HL plastic hull and suspension arms seem pretty strong and beefy and the plastic tracks are not bad, they run fine. I tried the Leo 2 Tamiya kit tracks on the Abrams, but not really a good fit.

A cast heavy metal hull and running gear would seem to make the tank to heavy to be an effective TBU fighter, but let me know how that metal hull works out for you and if a fat & heavy Abrams would get diabetes?

I have a Pershing recoil unit on order and may add recoil, but that will take a fair amount of work to pull off and means using a Tamyia elevation unit and tossing the airsoft-unit frame and the robust HL elevation unit. FYI, in the sun light the HL paint job looks to me like kraut panzer yellow and the new base color is Tamiya Desert Tan with a touch of gray to lighten the hue. Color modulation will be with various shades of the base color and light tan and red browns to look like desert dust.

Why maybe on the photos? I shared the same photos seen here on my FB page today, and the tank sold almost immediately to an rc tank collector and he doesn't require recoil, so maybe no followup after this post and on to the next project, kinda like cheese burger cheese burger cheese burger.

John

Visit FB Photos to gain more build ideas: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Johns...=photos_stream

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 01-22-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Max-U52

I'd like to see the photos, but that link didn't work for me. Said it was unavailable.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:14 PM
kizwan

I clicked the link, "This content is currently unavailable"
Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Pcomm1.v2

You guys gotta log on to Facebook (means you have already signed up on FB etc) to see my rc tanks builds, but I guess only senior citizens would know this in 2015, since few others use it, right?

Take a look at this HL Tamiya Sherman hybrid to get the general idea of what is happening with the Abrams and do keep the battery box, makes life easier.

Name:	1-Left-front-yard.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	2062376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck_Hull.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	2062378   Click image for larger version

Name:	DMD-setup.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2062379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elevation-unit.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	2062380   Click image for larger version

Name:	HL-Tamiya.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	2062381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherman-75MM-DMD-package.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	2062382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tamiya-380-Motors.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	2062383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turret_TBU.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2062384  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear-camo.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2062386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camo-75mm.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2062387   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-Right-v2.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2062388  

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 01-08-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Max-U52

Sorry, not on facebook.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:49 PM
kizwan

I'm already log on to facebook. It's still unavailable though.

BTW, if I want to use Tamiya electronics, I will need two boards; DMD Control Unit & MFU, right?

Last edited by kizwan; 01-08-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Yes, both the DMD and the MFU plus a communications cable and a Tamiya Y-battery connector is required.

I will document the Abrams build and parts used with words & maybe photos after the finish paint and later when I re-install the Tamiya electronic package.

It is pretty simple and fun to build, if you do not need recoil, it is a real easy build.

I will list the Tamiya parts required and I recommend the Tamiya KV-1, KV-2 or JS-2 controller set for your Abrams, though you can make do with a Pershing set.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 01-09-2015 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Augustus1967

Very Kool...

Your FB link worked for me...
Very Nice body of Work shown there...

Really Like your Funny Car Style access on your Gepard.

-gus

Last edited by Augustus1967; 01-08-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Thank you Gus and Daryl Turner designed and fabricated the deck lift hinge, designed and fabricated the fast spin turret to emulate a real Gepard and he made the front and rear working radar, the twin cannon elevation system and various aluminum mounts and braces. I assembled the Gepard etc, Daryl did the heavy lifting.

Photos will follow later and here is the Parts List now for the Hybrid Abrams.

Tamiya Connectors and Parts List:

1. Use Four Male Tamiya Bullets from the Bullet Style Snap Connector Set 01/81 TAM50245 (to connect the HL - IMEX gear box motors to the Tamiya MFU, crimp style, no soldering required):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Bulle...item51c9c860fc

2. Two HiTEC Female BEC Connectors 562102 (to connect the HL rotation and elevation units to the Tamiya MFU, soldier the BEC wire leads to each motor(s) wire lead pair, not at the motor, or the wires will be to short to get to the MFU): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-Female-BEC-Connector-/371226840520?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item566ed80dc8

3. The HL Speaker plugs into the MFU without modification, (it uses the same plug as Tamiya).

4. Tamiya DMD, MFU (use KV-1, KV-2 or JS-2 or Pershing optional or what ever you already got or just rob your current Tamiya rc tank for a shared controller set), plus one Tamiya Y-Battery Connector, one Communications Cable 7255020 Tamiya 1/16 Tiger I King Tiger Sherman Communication Cable (go to jrc on eBay or the AAF Museum for your parts):

http://stores.ebay.com/Jasons-Store/...=p4634.c0.m322

or

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/search...s.asp?cat=1837

5. Tamiya Battle Unit from the AAF Museum (see above).

6. Update Change: Tamiya JS-2 Machine gun bag and the machine gun LED light.

7. LED Emitter Clip On Device from the JS 2 or a KT or mount the LED Emtter in the mantlet, up to you.

8. I use the Futaba 2.4 four channel radio (you need to install a left stick return spring, part available separately or included with purchase from “thecommander" at rcu and on eBay along with a cannon firing switch.

9. Visit here for transmitter stick mode setup options for the Tamiya DMD-MFU: http://www.customrcmodels.com/Tanks/id92.htm

10. Tamiya cannon flash unit from a King Tiger, Jagdpanther or Panther.

11. For the receiver base for the TBU, I used part 9005667 Tamiya H Parts for the Sherman which includes the turret ring and scratch built the spacer mounts.

12. I bought the tank on eBay: HENGLONG ABRAMS MBT M1A2 RC TANK, NEW STEEL BALL-BEARINGS GEARS, TAIGEN ELECTRONICS

13. For recoil I ordered part 4205024 Tamiya 1/16 M26 Pershing Recoil Unit, the mount stays would be scratch built.

Enjoy, John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 01-22-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:18 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Like the rear defense with the hatch....he he.
If you do not cheat, perhaps one is not trying hard enough, pretty sure my grandma taught me that some time ago.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:31 AM
Max-U52

Hey John, thanks a LOT for posting the links. Those Tamiya bullet connectors are just what I've been looking for, for a multitude of reasons. You probably already know that island enterprises is Imex on ebay (kinda like rcdynasty is Matomart on ebay) so I'm really glad to see a post from someone that got their tank there. I notice it says there are only 6 available. Your tank looks so good even before paint that I'm tempted to pick one up and just have two abrams when the Imex version comes out. And I've been thinking about your comments concerning battling and I think you're right, this will be a better battler without the excess weight. I wasn't planning on getting an IR Abrams, but you're giving me second thoughts.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:33 AM
Max-U52

You say you gutted the airsoft unit, so I was wondering if you're going to try the motor swap for turret rotation. I've heard the motors in the airsoft units are faster and if you swap them with the rotation it will improve the turning speed. Have you tried that? If so, what did you think?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Pcomm1.v2

I did not know that about the motors, I will check that out and thank you for the tip. The HL Abrams is an excellent offering from HenLong, in my opinion, and the example I received does have a very nice basic paint finish. Yes, I knew about Island Ent, I went there because no one was answering phones at IMEX the week I bought the Abrams on eBay. Later, Eric emailed me with a status update on the work that was being done to my Abrams, a good auction buy it now experience for sure. John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 01-09-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 AM
kizwan

Hey John, thank you for sharing the part list.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Your welcome and enjoy your Abrams. John
Old 01-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kizwan
I wish LHS over here carry Imex/Taigen tanks & parts.
Malaysia is pretty far away but it might happen soon, I am in talks with a certain dealer...
Originally Posted by maxu52
Hey John, that's a good lookin' tank and the tammy apple/mushroom looks right at home there, something it can never quite pull off on WWII armor. How did you like converting it to hobby grade with the Tamiya system? Would you consider doing a more detailed review on that part? I've often wondered how it compares to the clark package upgrade. I've dealt with Bob in the past so I know that part was cool, how about AAF? Were shipping times and rates reasonable? One of these days I will get a Tamiya Sherman from them. I would've already but all the hubbub over Fury kinda dimmed the enthusiasm. Does the futaba package give you the option for more upgrades later with extra channels, or are they all taken up by what it has now? Just one thing I should point out, that's not an Imex Taigen tank, it's a Heng Long. When they came out Bill scored a load of them, mainly for us guys here on RCU, but when they're gone Imex won't be carrying them again. The good news is that an Imex/Taigen Abrams IS coming (or possibly an Imex/Torro?), but it will be a much better platform than the Heng Long, I've heard with metal lower and torsion bar suspension. That's one of the main reasons I didn't get one of the current Abrams, I'm holding out for the Imex/Taigen version. But first a freakin' Jagdtiger already!! Yes, I'm impatient for that one.
Yes the Taigen version will be much stronger. I was not impressed by the choice of plastic on this tank (kinda flimsy, should of made it a tad thicker for such a big tank) and I couldn't believe how the insides looked when I got them! They had rusted gearboxes!! Not surface rust either, but the deep kind. Also it was kinda funny to see only one gearbox lubed on EVERY single tank so far. I'm not sure what happened on that assembly line but wow do I hate working on these things. But yes, after we sell what we have we will not stock them again. We just wanted to provide a safe place to purchase your tank from a vendor you all know and trust. We are also in the process of making new metal components for the Abrams as well. Since we make all new molds for all of our metal parts, it will be a bit before our parts are available.
Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
Happy New Year.

Got the Abrams from IMEX and it arrived on Tuesday this week. Played with it a bit that day, out of the box, worked just fine, but I had a different direction in mind for the model (The current Abrams “diesel solution” offered by GDLS includes the Tognum America/12V883 diesel engine):

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/s...dest-proposal/

The Taigen IMEX Abrams is a very cool offering as is, but the Abrams makes a great platform to go any number of other electronic directions, metal upgrades, bearings etc and this build is based on Tamiya's components. As to the real Abrams, the next batch of 5000 Abrams the US Army does not want may have a new power plant, as the Honeywell produced turbine has gained haters and enemies in high places over the last 30 years or so.

Parts Sources:
IMEX: Abrams Tank
Bob, the commander from rcu: Futaba 2.4 radio
jrc (Jason) eBay: DMD-MF, Flash and misc parts
AAF Museum: Tamiya Battle Unit

FYI: Eric's new IMEX gear boxes run great and offer perfect speed and control for urban infrared tank fighting. Convoy high speed capability is often a problem in a tense rc model tank fight...

The Abram's reviews already posted on rcu are certainly valid in my opinion, so I will pass on any attempt to review the model, past saying I like it a lot and it is HUGE. Tamiya Leopard 2A6 huge. Finishing the paint work is next.

John
I'm glad you like it! The gearbox should have plenty of power for that tank. The 3:1 is just too weak in it, makes it almost impossible for a super spin on stock motors even on concrete. The 4:1 gearboxes work very well in it. It is nice to have them shimmed for you huh?
Maybe not on the photos. The converting process is a joy, simple compared to building a Tamiya rc tank kit and way faster.

Though, I will be taking the tank apart to finish painting it and will try and take some photos of the modifications down the road. This tank came with Eric's upgraded 4:1 metal black gearboxes and a Taigen marked controller with a mounted fan and 2.4 radio (I will re-purpose the controller parts and radio for another project).

Basically, changing six rc wire plugs (find plugs with wire leads for the Tamiya Controllers from your local rc hobby shop, eBay or Amazon) to let the Tamiya controllers operate the HL rotation unit, the HL elevation unit and Eric's black gearbox motors. Gutted the airsoft unit (left the case in tact) to run the flash cable through it and up the gun barrel and pulled the mantlet HL LED to add a coaxial flashing Tamiya machine gun (used Sherman parts without the cooling shield).

Dan (YHR) was out of stock, due to Christmas orders, and next time I would use his system. Currently, his system is going into a Gepard build and it is awesome, but that Gepard is not a TBU tank, so sound effects are really important. For this HL Abrams, the TBU is most important.

HL has aftermarket metal drive sprockets, idlers, bearings etc available, or so claimed in their Abrams instruction manual. The HL plastic hull and suspension arms seem pretty strong and beefy and the plastic tracks are not bad, they run fine. I tried the Leo 2 Tamiya kit tracks on the Abrams, but not really a good fit.

A cast heavy metal hull and running gear would seem to make the tank to heavy to be an effective TBU fighter, but let me know how that metal hull works out for you and if a fat & heavy Abrams would get diabetes?

I have a Pershing recoil unit on order and may add recoil, but that will take a fair amount of work to pull off and means using a Tamyia elevation unit and tossing the airsoft-unit frame and the robust HL elevation unit. FYI, in the sun light the HL paint job looks to me like kraut panzer yellow and the new base color is Tamiya Desert Tan with a touch of gray to lighten the hue. Color modulation will be with various shades of the base color and light tan and red browns to look like desert dust.

Why maybe on the photos? I shared the same photos seen here on my FB page today, and the tank sold almost immediately to an rc tank collector and he doesn't require recoil, so maybe no followup after this post and on to the next project, kinda like cheese burger cheese burger cheese burger.

John

Visit FB Photos to gain more build ideas: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Johns...=photos_stream
Yea we didn't order any metal parts, but we will have some eventually if you are interested
Originally Posted by maxu52
Sorry, not on facebook.
Me neither! What a coincidence! I do not like social media myself, it is a great idea but I'm busy enough. I would love to do some more personal YT videos like I used to, but even then time is a rare commodity with me.
I did not know that about the motors, I will check that out and thank you for the tip. The HL Abrams is an excellent offering from HenLong, in my opinion, and the example I received does have a very nice basic paint finish. Yes, I knew about Island Ent, I went there because no one was answering phones at IMEX the week I bought the Abrams on eBay. Later, Eric emailed me with a status update on the work that was being done to my Abrams, a good auction buy it now experience for sure. John
Yea sorry, we have to take a break sometime Xmas and New Years are highly awaited holidays here as well as Black Friday/Cyber Monday. There are lots of women in the front.... Anyways, yea if you dont get a hold of me email is great. I always try to respond as quick as possible though!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Pcomm1.v2

No issues Eric,

I understand with the busy holidays and all you can't be selling tanks all the time everyday.

The Abrams hull is a little bit thin true, but buttoned up to the top deck, it is a pretty solid piece, no flex.

All in all the Abrams compares to my Tamiya Leopard 2 very nicely, but like a new VW GT1 would to a Porsche GT3, both good machines, my 2 cents.

And they look good side by side.

John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 01-09-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Augustus1967

Sounds like there may be some Cheap "Broken" Christmas HL M1's on FleaBay Soon...
If they don't go into the Trash... Thrown Away by Frustrated Parents.
Gotta Luv HL's Shabby QC...

NOT!

-Gus
Old 01-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

So how hard do you think it would be to put a Tamiya Leopard motor/transmission unit and DMD into the Abrams? I measured inside to inside and the sprockets are only 4 mm farther apart on the Abrams.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
So how hard do you think it would be to put a Tamiya Leopard motor/transmission unit and DMD into the Abrams? I measured inside to inside and the sprockets are only 4 mm farther apart on the Abrams.
That would be ambitious, expensive and fun.

Might be best to kit bash a Tamiya Leo 2 kit and use the HL Abrams empty turret shell and barrel with the Abrams top deck.

That would be my approach (rather than chasing parts), but I will NOT build one, just saying.

Of course, by the end of next week I will have ruined my perfectly awesome Tamiya Leo 2 trying to prototype this wacky Abrams concept.

Perhaps, Tamiya or Daryl Turner will take on the project instead.

Does the Abrams look a little low rent next to kraut cousin?

Though, the Abrams has that proven dog faced, hard earned combat record, while the Leo 2 mostly sat around for the last 10 years and enjoyed being a motor pool queen.

John

Name:	ISAF-Afghan-Desert-Leopard.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	2062605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Abrams.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	2062606  

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 01-09-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

No issues Eric,

I understand with the busy holidays and all you can't be selling tanks all the time everyday.

The Abrams hull is a little bit thin true, but buttoned up to the top deck, it is a pretty solid piece, no flex.

All in all the Abrams compares to my Tamiya Leopard 2 very nicely, but like a new VW GT1 would to a Porsche GT3, both good machines, my 2 cents.

And they look good side by side.

John
You should tell bossman that! I'm pretty much always available for bossman, AM or PM. I like my job and the services and knowledge I offer to IMEX/Taigen is appreciated as well. This has been my favorite job so far
You guys at RCU are a big part of that too, I enjoy your opinions and I pass on feedback when needed. In fact, the next unannounced tank is directly for you guys here on RCU

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.