Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

First Tank - Upgrades & Ideas (Torro KV2)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

First Tank - Upgrades & Ideas (Torro KV2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:27 PM
pedzola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb First Tank - Upgrades & Ideas (Torro KV2)

Hi all,

I posted a thread a while back looking for info for my first tank. After some consideration, I purchased a Torro KV2. Unfortunately it arrived w/some broken plastic, but IMEX is taking care of me. The old tank is in the mail and I hope to see a replacement soon.

I was able to drive the tank a little bit before I sent it back, and already have ordered some upgrades. So I thought I'd post my thoughts and see if you all have ideas.

Note: This is the only tank I have ever tried, and I had a limited amount of time with it. So feel free to let me know if I'm wrong on something.

The good:
1) I really like the suspension. The torsion bars along with the metal tracks and wheels add up to make some very cool mechanical art. (Some oil required).
2) The paint job is more muted than in pictures, the detail on the tank is as good as I had hoped or expected.
3) The 3:1 gearbox is very smooth.
4) The metal toolboxes are the nicest part of the upper hull. They open and close perfectly, feel very solid, and are a super nice addition to the tank.

The bad:
1) Driving the tank was really more akin to an RC toy than a scale model. Very fast and difficult to drive at low speeds.
2) The sound was AWFUL. I shut it off! 8-bit 22khz samples in 2015?
3) Extremely bright white LED headlight - bright is nice but something more yellow/muted might be more appropriate.

The ugly:
1) Shipping damage - upper half was beat up pretty good. Made a couple fixes before sending it back but still warranted replacement easily.
2) Although the paint job is nice, I would have loved a green monster instead of the German camo. Someday if I ever learn to paint I might try to convert it.

IBU2 Pro:
SO... the biggest downer for me was the driving dynamics, especially considering the nice suspension and smooth/solid steel gearboxes.

After a little research I ordered an IBU2 Pro board to replace the stock electronics. The IBU2 allows you to essentially set a speed limit on the tank, eliminate super spin, and employ "momentum" which creates the effect of the inertia of a heavy vehicle. Unfortunately there are no US dealers, so I had to order from the UK. Luckily, Ian at http://rctankelectronics.weebly.com/ got my order out quickly and has been a great resource. So I think I'm in good hands.

FlySky i6
Again, hard to find a dealer. There was only 1 US dealer that I could find (HobbyPartz.com), and they have a bad reputation. I got a tracking number quickly though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the radio arrives working. I will have to play around w/the controller and IBU2 to see how I can set up the controls. But seems like this will work pretty well. It is more compact than some other radios, and has telemetry - something I may want to play with in the future.

Batteries:
Even though the IBU2 has a cutoff and fuse protection for LiPo's, I decided to stick w/NiMh and ordered a 7.2v Venom 3600mah w/a better charger. Will consider upgrade in the future if needed.

Searching for:
I am concerned that with the power toned down to make the tank slower w/the IBU2, I won't have enough torque. I want the KV2 to plow through obstacles at slow speeds. So I am thinking I will need new gearboxes and maybe new motors. IMEX Erik says the 4:1's won't work in the KV2, so right now I am planning to wait for the new steel dual-ratio boxes (Q1 2015?)

In my research I have had extreme difficulty finding any other 380 sized motors to replace the stock ones. I think brushed motors are going away. There are a couple out there but hard to tell if they would be any better than stock.

One thing interesting I did find is small gearboxes for electric airplanes that work w/380-sized motors (Such as this 3:1 reduction from Great Planes: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAGC8&P=0). Has anybody ever tried to fit a couple of these into a tank in addition to the stock gearboxes?

RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT:

Considering the state of a stock tank, the cost of the IBU2, and the prevalence of brushless motors, it came to my head that a person reasonably skilled with Arduino could probably make a better custom-made electronics solution. I might give it a try. I think it would be best to have each track on its own stick for driving - but that creates the problem of not being able to control the turret! So I though - why not drive an RC tank with 2 people/radios? Driver + Gunner!

Has anybody ever done this before? Add an FPV camera or 2 and it could turn out to be a very cool experiment. Maybe the future of RC battling is to have tank crews of 2 people on the same machine. I might give it a shot.

Idea #2: A transmission that actually switches gears. 2 or 3 speed?. Again - has anyone ever done this?

Idea #3: Tanks need a serious upgrade for hi-fi sound. How can you all live with 1980's sound on the tanks? Should expect AT LEAST 16 bit 44.1khz samples, and 2 channels or more to play the sounds. Maybe this is another arduino project...

CONCLUSIONS:

Tanks are a money pit, like any good hobby. I'm looking forward to getting my Torro KV2 in one piece from IMEX, looking forward to installing my IBU2 and setting up the SkyFly, and looking forward to creating my slow juggernaut w/some new motors or gearboxes in the future. I think there is a lot of potential for fun and tinkering here.

Looking forward to being a long-term member here on RCU. Thankful for vendor support and all the collective knowledge of the members here.

Last edited by pedzola; 01-12-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

like to see new guys join the hobby once you get your tank set up you will be all set and buying more than just one ...lol
painting will easy after a while i painted my Pershing 5 times before i liked it...lol
Old 01-13-2015, 03:55 AM
Tanker 10

You're right about the speed of the tank, it's just too fast for a KV. The R-18 does not provide enough control. I wish you luck with your new electronics set up. With a good hobby grade radio system and some lower gears, Torro's KV-2 would be an outstanding tank.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome, it's always good to know there are more people in the world as crazy as I am (that's a very good thing in our hobby).

The answers to all your questions can be found right here in this forum, they're just a little hard to find sometimes. The airplane gear box reduction has been brought up, in a thread about T-34s. Later I'll see if I can find it for you.

As for lights, we've also been looking into this (I think Norm is leading the way) and trying warm white and yellow 3mm LEDs. Here's a video where I just installed the warm white, generously sent to me by Stormin' Normand. I'm at work now so don't have much time, but my advice is to just browse through past threads and see what pops up. I like to do that when I have time and I don't think there's been one single time that I didn't learn something new.

Another thing I've learned is to do PLENTY of research before buying something unfamiliar, like when I recently started on the road to hobby grade. I bought a Turnigy 9X (great radio) and then I had to learn to flash firmware and a ton of other stuff, only to find out afterwards that I could've gotten the complete radio all set up and ready to go from Kevin at RC Tanks Australia. Oh well, live and learn, right? Besides, the journey was a fun one and I definitely learned a LOT of new stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojWH099q6SQ
Old 01-13-2015, 05:15 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've certainly done your research and have things well under control.

The only thing I'd caution is on the gear ratios. AC listed ratios are real, the ones used in tanks are not. The robot gearboxes I used in my 38(t) conversion were something like 37:1. Swinging a prop to keep something in the air requires a lot more speed than you'd ever want a drive sprocket turning.

Hopefully someone will come along to explain it clearly, I never invested the energy in trying to figure out why, but I think our currently labeled 3:1 and 4:1 are actually in comparison to other gearboxes, not the true ratio. Personally I use Tamiya boxes myself, lots of low end to crawl, plenty of power on top and last forever, so there was no need to decipher the language used.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:12 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The airplane reductions work fine but only in limited capacity. You need a lot of room above your geaboxes as the reduction unit install where the original motor would so it jacks up the height clearance of the whole
unit. Also you'll need to check you initial gear ratio as the reduction units do their job so if your already running in the ballpark of 70 or 80:1 your going to be seriously slow. I've used them on tamiya KT gearboxes in my Jagdtiger and Elefant which stock had something like 56:1 so it slowed it right down. Schumo makes the reduction units as well.
http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...SION::255.html
Old 01-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Man I really hate RCU sometimes... I just typed a huge response and it lagged out
Give me a call when you get a chance buddy, I got a few options and tips for ya. I'm just too annoyed to type it all out again atm lol.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:05 PM
pedzola

Thanks for the tips. Ausf - I understand about the gear ratio terminology. Was considering if the airplane reductions could be used in addition to (in front of) the gear set that I already have in the tank. Wasn't really thinking about vertical space though - as TheBennyB pointed out, they take up more room. Probably wouldn't work in the KV2.

Do you know how the Tamiya gearboxes compare to the Taigen 3:1 or 4:1? Is it possible to retrofit Tamiya gearboxes in other tanks such as my Torro KV2?

Maxu52 - I like the all-metal Panzer III. After seeing some broken plastic I'm thinking for Tank #2 I will want as many metal parts as possible. (We will see how long it takes before I get to tank #2....) I'll see if I can find a warm white LED that I can swap w/the KV2 light. A quick google search turns up a lot of sources.

Erik, thanks for the effort, sorry that your post was lost. Unfortunately I'm pretty well occupied during business hours. Would be tough to connect for a call. I'm sure everyone on the forum would benefit if you are able to post your advice or ideas here again though.

Will keep everyone updated as my new toys arrive. Pictures will be in order, though Raceeng18 might be a better photographer. The tank should look like that!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:08 PM
kizwan

Nice tank. Good choice for first tank. I've watched plenty of video of tanks running with IBU & really like it but it's too expensive for me though. I'm confused, I thought Taigen dual ratio gb already available. :questionsmiley: @Erik, the Taigen 5:1 steel gearbox is dual ratio gearbox right or I'm mistaken?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:51 PM
ausf

Originally Posted by pedzola
Thanks for the tips. Ausf - I understand about the gear ratio terminology. Was considering if the airplane reductions could be used in addition to (in front of) the gear set that I already have in the tank. Wasn't really thinking about vertical space though - as TheBennyB pointed out, they take up more room. Probably wouldn't work in the KV2.
Gotcha, I didn't catch the bit about it being in addition to the gearbox the first time I read it.

I'm not sure what the ratio is with Tamiya, but honestly the new aftermarket Taigen will probably be better for you, Erik can give you info on that. I only mention the Tamiya boxes because I'd have flawless service from them in tanks well over a decade old, so I haven't found the need for aftermarket or changing ratios.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:18 PM
AELock

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a clip of my Taigen KV-2 with ibu2 PRO, RS380 Motor from banebots and the new 4:1 gearbox with lots of bearings from Taigen. It is at full speed (with PowerMotorScale = 85) in the beginning of the video followed by a hard brake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfnKcnlyioc

Before the 4:1 gearbox and RS380 motor my KV-2 can't steer while driving on carpet. I can only turn if I stop and do a superspin. It can now plow through obstacles at slow speeds with ease.

Hope this helps
Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 AM
CHIEFSONN

pedzola
Has anybody ever done this before? Add an FPV camera or 2 and it could turn out to be a very cool experiment. Maybe the future of RC battling is to have tank crews of 2 people on the same machine. I might give it a shot
yes i have with a Sherman tank once it was quite east and a lot of fun.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by kizwan
Nice tank. Good choice for first tank. I've watched plenty of video of tanks running with IBU & really like it but it's too expensive for me though. I'm confused, I thought Taigen dual ratio gb already available. :questionsmiley: @Erik, the Taigen 5:1 steel gearbox is dual ratio gearbox right or I'm mistaken?
Yes the 5:1 (what a horrible name) will be referred as the dual ratio gearbox as much as possible We are having it remade atm with new bearings, motors, and colors. I just actually finished the boxart this morning for all of the new gearboxes. We will now stock these gearboxes in steel and full bearings:
3:1 H/L 48mm
3:1 H/L 58mm
3:1 M/L 48mm
3:1 M/L 58mm
4:1 H/L 48mm
4:1 H/L 58mm
5:1 L/L 48mm (dual ratio)
5:1 L/L 58mm (dual ratio)

All will come with a full bearing set, nice new colors, and also new connectors to make motor swaps and gearbox changes a TON easier.
Originally Posted by CHIEFSONN
pedzola
Has anybody ever done this before? Add an FPV camera or 2 and it could turn out to be a very cool experiment. Maybe the future of RC battling is to have tank crews of 2 people on the same machine. I might give it a shot
yes i have with a Sherman tank once it was quite east and a lot of fun.
Yes actually I just posted a thread on this to see if there was much interest. After a few test runs I found it makes my tank very hot and a fan would be needed to cool the video TX off. This is no biggie, just a warning to those that are thinking about it. My ultra strong velcro just got here, hopefully I can hang it from the upper hull and that can keep it a bit cool. It is also a pain to hide the antenna, I had to use my old dipole antenna instead of my mushroom to get it to fit right.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:29 PM
pedzola

Originally Posted by AELock
Here is a clip of my Taigen KV-2 with ibu2 PRO, RS380 Motor from banebots and the new 4:1 gearbox with lots of bearings from Taigen. It is at full speed (with PowerMotorScale = 85) in the beginning of the video followed by a hard brake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfnKcnlyioc
Before the 4:1 gearbox and RS380 motor my KV-2 can't steer while driving on carpet. I can only turn if I stop and do a superspin. It can now plow through obstacles at slow speeds with ease.
Banebots is out of stock on those motors. Do you think they made a big difference from the Taigen motors? Was there any modification to the tank to fit the "4:1" gearbox? I would be ok with taking out the smoke machine, I think this is what others have mentioned before.

I have to admit your KV2 was my inspiration. Definitely helped push me toward the IBU2. I only got a 6 channel radio though so I won't be having a moving commander out of my hatch... ! I may have some other questions for you when I get my tank together...

Erik, are the newest full-bearing 4:1 boxes available now? (Seems like AELock got them so I'm assuming yes?)

I'm wondering whether I modify my tank for the 4:1's now, or wait for the "Dual Ratio" box. My only concern w/the "Dual ratio" is that it comes w/smaller motors, right? Would I be better off w/the 4:1 given that I will further slow the tank w/my electronics?

Lower gear ratio vs bigger motor I guess? Any thoughts?

Also I got my FlySky I6 today. Looks good I guess... no way to test it yet! Also got a notice on my door from USPS that they tried to deliver my IBU2. Wish they would have left it on the doorstep! Will have to wait til Friday when I can hopefully get to the post office.

Erik, you guys should have my tank back tomorrow I think. O_O
Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 PM
kizwan

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Yes the 5:1 (what a horrible name) will be referred as the dual ratio gearbox as much as possible We are having it remade atm with new bearings, motors, and colors. I just actually finished the boxart this morning for all of the new gearboxes. We will now stock these gearboxes in steel and full bearings:
3:1 H/L 48mm
3:1 H/L 58mm
3:1 M/L 48mm
3:1 M/L 58mm
4:1 H/L 48mm
4:1 H/L 58mm
5:1 L/L 48mm (dual ratio)
5:1 L/L 58mm (dual ratio)

All will come with a full bearing set, nice new colors, and also new connectors to make motor swaps and gearbox changes a TON easier.
I'll wait for full bearings then, for my bulldog.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:30 PM
AELock

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Taigen motors are great, they are currently powering my Bulldog, but the banebots motor gave me less speed and more torque.

I was able to keep my smoke machine with some minor modifications. I also had to make a 3mm cut off the left metal exhaust.

I had the Banebots motor before the 4:1 gearbox. The motor upgrade alone gave me superspins on carpet then the 4:1 gearbox finally gave me the sweet turns I was looking for.

The ibu2 PRO is awesome.

I don't think the new 4:1s are out yet. I took my 4:1 from the Abrams I got from Erik/Taigen. I had to replace the drive shafts though.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Imex-Erik

Yes the Banebot motors are super nice and very powerful, if you can find them in stock that is. They are super cheap and there are a lot of specs on them, something that is hard to come by on brushed motors. The all new gearboxes will arrive around Feb-Mar time, depending on when the boat floats over. I just got done with the box art actually.
If I had to choose, I would wait for the dual ratio gearboxes myself. A simple motor swap to a good high quality 360 motor will make the gearbox well worth it. With the small tip I gave to MAXU52 (he made a video showing it) you can have a gearbox where you can change between ratios in less than a minute without removing any tracks, wheels, or gearboxes. These are really good for IR battlers because you can have a really low gear ratio for regular play, but then a higher one for more precise maneuvers. The 4:1 gearboxes are super nice as well, they allow you to run a much larger motor which might be a better option as you have more flexibility with motor sizes and KV. It really is up to you
Old 01-15-2015, 12:15 PM
pedzola

Thank you Erik for the input. Will debate the 4:1 vs Dual-Ratio and anxiously await the opportunity to purchase one or the other...

I am very frustrated right now. I took the afternoon off work so I could go pick up my IBU2 at the post office (they left a notice yesterday). I get to the PO and they can't find it. To their credit, they seemed to check a few different places, asked the supervisor for help, etc.... no package. They tried to call my carrier while I was there but did not pick up. They said they would talk to the carrier and call me back.

SUPER frustrating. It's very difficult for me to get to the post office w/my work schedule, not to mention if they actually lost it I am probably going to have a heck of a time trying to get a refund, etc. ;(

UGH. Keeping my fingers crossed they will find it and call me back this afternoon.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Imex-Erik

Thank you Erik for the input. Will debate the 4:1 vs Dual-Ratio and anxiously await the opportunity to purchase one or the other...

I am very frustrated right now. I took the afternoon off work so I could go pick up my IBU2 at the post office (they left a notice yesterday). I get to the PO and they can't find it. To their credit, they seemed to check a few different places, asked the supervisor for help, etc.... no package. They tried to call my carrier while I was there but did not pick up. They said they would talk to the carrier and call me back.

SUPER frustrating. It's very difficult for me to get to the post office w/my work schedule, not to mention if they actually lost it I am probably going to have a heck of a time trying to get a refund, etc. ;(

UGH. Keeping my fingers crossed they will find it and call me back this afternoon.
Well don't worry, I got your stuff in today and the replacement is leaving today as well
Yea I have the same issue with shipping stuff sometimes, luckily now I have everything shipped to work. It is nice to have a dedicated shipping department, I have yet to have an issue with deliveries now that it is business and not residential. In fact I got one package yesterday, 2 today, and 1 tomorrow coming I finally just got confirmation on my GPS unit too so I can try to test autopilot on a tank and see how well it works. I scored a GPS unit, antenna, and mounting plates for less than $40!
Old 01-15-2015, 03:15 PM
pedzola

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
autopilot on a tank!
IMEX is lucky to have an innovator on the team. I am not sure a scale tank fits the typical profile of an autonomous vehicle, but why the heck not?

In other news, USPS delivered. They didn't call me like they said they would, but I stopped back over and they had the box.

So now I have my new FlySky and IBU2 Pro... can't wait to get the tank. PICS...

Although USPS almost ruined it, I'm very happy w/my experience ordering from RC Tank Electronics (http://rctankelectronics.weebly.com/). The IBU2 was packaged well, and shipped quickly. From order to USPS delivery attempt yesterday was only 6 days - from UK to New Hampshire, USA. If anyone is thinking about an IBU2 and hesitant to order internationally (I was), definitely go for it!

Of course, I haven't actually been able to try it out yet, but it was well packed and I'm optimistic everything will come together without issue.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:09 PM
ausf

I don't think I've ever seen an IBU2 board before. Looks nicely done, well assembled, love the fuse, looking firward to your assessment.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Imex-Erik

Yes I would love to get my hands on one to test, they look very well built. They also look very expensive
Old 01-16-2015, 03:31 PM
pedzola

Question for you Erik... Do you know what the actual gear ratios are on the various boxes? 3:1, 4:1, and dual ratio? Is the "5:1" on the dual ratio much lower than the "4:1"? Still trying to figure out if I go for bigger motor or lower gear ratio.

I will be anxious to see the performance on the KV2 w/the stock boxes and motors using the scale speed functions of the IBU2.

The IBU instructions say to use 12v motors if you are running a 3S Lipo, so I guess that means they are supported.... so something else to consider.

Once I receive my tank I will try to post some details on the install/config/performance of the IBU2 for those interested.

Compared to other boards, IBU2 won easily despite the cost. Tons of features w/simple setup. Easy for a newbie to get the tank to do what I want it to do.

At least, that is the plan. Will post my experience.

For now I am anxiously awaiting a big box w/a tank in it.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 PM
pedzola

Alright, quick update...

Got my replacement tank today. Erik, this one was much better packed, thanks! However the 2 exposed "open triangle" supports on the upper hull were both broken again. Fortunately all the pieces were there, and I was able to superglue them - so no problem.

W/tank in hand I got to work right away installing the IBU2 Pro.

1) I spent some time configuring the init file and the dip switches. After running the tank, I will have to revisit this (more on that shortly...)

2) Then I had to figure out what gets plugged in where. The wiring was a pain actually, and still not figured out entirely. Some of the short cables are limiting my installation options. Had to take out the smoke unit to get everything to fit... and I still can't close the tank right now. Will figure this out without too much difficulty I hope.

3) Some of the channels on my transmitter/receiver didn't seem to map correctly. I was messing around w/the stick modes but still couldn't get it right. Had to swap a couple of channel cables on the receiver. Barrel elevation is backwards still, I think there's a "switch" for this in the ini file.

4) I need to figure out how to map the machine gun and main gun firing to switches. On the stick right now, and annoying.

5) Speaking of the main gun - the impulse is too short, it doesn't "wind up" the airsoft gun enough to fire it. There is probably a setting in the init for this. Clearly set up for IR, not airsoft out of the box.

6) Tail light doesn't work. Not sure if I have it wired wrong or if the LED doesn't work. Didn't actually test it with the stock electronics. Oops!

7) I turned off super spin and tank won't turn, only if I really mess w/the sticks and do it in a very particular way. Was really hoping to get the single track to move on one side and spin the tank like that. That is how the original KV2 worked after all.

But it turns out that without a "brake" on the other track, it just comes along for the ride. It starts rotating on it's own (not under power) and the tank kind of goes slightly in one direction, but does not turn in-place. So I think I will have to turn the super-spin back on at a very minimal level just so that it acts as a "brake" on the alternate track.

8) Really have to mess w/the init settings some more. The momentum function was interesting but surprisingly seems to be entirely negated as soon as you try to turn. In other words... if you go full throttle the tank will start rolling slowly and then come up to full speed. But if you go full throttle and then hard left, you immediately get the right track spinning at what seems like 100% power, not even the reduced 80% I set the tank at. At least, that's my impression.... so the dynamics of how it works are very strange right now. Maybe I just need to learn to drive it in a particular way, or maybe I have it set up wrong.

So anyway... still lots to work out for right now... I will reserve judgement until I get everything working how I want it!

But definitely I will need some new gears. At the reduced power, I have great control, but almost no torque. I didn't try too much in the way of obstacles tonight but it was clear the KV was not going to be the juggernaut I am aiming for.

Will not have too much time to play with it tomorrow but will update here as I am able to overcome some of these issues.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 PM
kizwan

But it turns out that without a "brake" on the other track, it just comes along for the ride. It starts rotating on it's own (not under power) and the tank kind of goes slightly in one direction, but does not turn in-place. So I think I will have to turn the super-spin back on at a very minimal level just so that it acts as a "brake" on the alternate track.
Yours still with stock ratio gearbox? I know the feeling, quite annoying, turning in large radius.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.