Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

To muzzle or not to muzzle that is the question...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

To muzzle or not to muzzle that is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default To muzzle or not to muzzle that is the question...

....whether it is nobler to just do it and take the heat later

I'm rapidly reaching a point in this model where I need to decide whether or not to make and attach
a muzzle brake. All the photos and sketches seem to indicate there was none during tests but it also is obvious
that the SOP of the Germans was to have one, the notable exception among tank guns being the JagdTiger.

I thought I'd read tha the small turret was to have a rigid mount that didn't require the services of a muzzle brake.
I know they experimented with that for the smaller gun of the Hetzer.

I am leaning to mounting a brake anyway.

Thoughts??

Jerry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	panther F001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2064671   Click image for larger version

Name:	panther F002.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	2064672  
Old 01-17-2015, 10:33 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While that mantlet looks good without a brake, like you said, used on the JT or Hetzer, they both had much more space for recoil than a turret, especially a smallish one like you have here.

So, my artistic side says leave it off, but the engineering side says add it.

Good to see you heading towards the finish on this one, your scale and work are only a dream to most of us.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You could always thread the end so a muzzle brake could be screwed on/off as you pleased.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:13 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Wozwasnt
You could always thread the end so a muzzle brake could be screwed on/off as you pleased.
Well yes, the barrel isn't my own construction and was originally made to have a press fit muzzle brake fitted. It can't be readily seen but
there's a cap pressed on to simulate what I believe we see in photos of the original prototype- a threaded cap in place of a muzzle brake
probably to protect the threads on the original barrel. I'm being sort of lazy and don't want to set up my lathe to cut some one off odd thread
on this thing and I don't think there's enough 'meat' left to cut a conventional thread but that was my thought as well.

It's like stepping through the looking glass. If I cut a thread, I can't just make a threaded muzzle brake, I'll have to make both the brake and the
locking ring that the original had so I can set the orientation of the brake baffles correctly, timing if you will. Not opposed to it but now you know why 1) I'm so slow
2) it takes me so long to build anything.

There it is.

Jerry
Old 01-18-2015, 11:21 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jerry, may I complement you on this build it looks rather nice as for muzzle break on Panther F there are pictures in “Panther tank a quest for combat supremacy” Thomas L Jentz page 108-109 shows a prototype with muzzle break though in reality the 75mm Kwk44/1 was intended for use without a muzzle break, the Kwk44/1 was a completely different gun to the standard Kwk42. L70 and could be fired without the need for a muzzle break so it would depend on how historically accurate you wanted the tank to look.