Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Question about sanding styrene...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Question about sanding styrene...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:49 AM
Panzerdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about sanding styrene...

I am about 2/3 done with my Tamiya Panzer IV build. It is going well, but I am not used to working with styrene. Since I am weathering the tank, nicks and scratches are not that big a deal, but I was wondering what is the best way to get rid of scratches.

I have the Tamiya grey putty, and I have used it to fill in some gaps, but how exactly do you sand it down without leaving scratches that show up through the primer and paint? I know I am using way too low a grit sandpaper right now. Would something like 2000 grit sandpaper not leave scratches that show up through paint? Do I have to work my way up in grits?

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:00 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless I'm build a car or something that needs a pristine surface, I rarely sand styrene. It sands easily too easily actually, so I'd start around 800 for rough spots and work up to 2000, but you have to be careful regarding rounding off or creating shallows. Use a block or something behind the paper to keep your fingers from apply uneven pressure.

I generally use an Exacto blade to 'scale' the surface when smoothing, same technique for sculpting. Honestly though, German armor in WWII was rolled and then surface was rarely pristine. Here's a link to a tutorial on texturing armor for 1/35, you may not want to go down that road, but you can see a photo of how I hold the exacto to smooth styrene.

http://ausfwerks.com//techniques/texture/main.html

Last edited by ausf; 01-31-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:39 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

fine grit and plenty of water - that's the secret. If you do it dry you will scratch.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:38 AM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been using Mr. Surfacer for years on all scales and it is pretty easy to use and takes a hell of a lot less time that sanding. It also lets you get in nooks and crannies that you need to touch up seams and such. For what you are describing the 1200 is what you want. Here is a quick google I found.
http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/...eviewbg_1.html