Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Bought My first Tank! HL M26 Pershing.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Bought My first Tank! HL M26 Pershing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bought My first Tank! HL M26 Pershing.

Hey folks!

Mid last year I caught the bug. At first, I was a bit put off at the prices of the Tamyia tanks, but I continued with my Google-Fuu in hopes of finding a cheaper alternative. It was then that I discovered Heng Long with 1/16 tanks going for ~$100. This was well within my price range for starting a new hobby that I was unsure about (what can I say? I'm cheap ).

After researching the brand, I found that the problems that sometimes come with the HL tanks were well within my capacity to repair. Still, I wanted to find a distributor in the US just in case. I wound up buying my Pershing off of Amazon for $80! I spent the next two weeks researching upgrades for for the tank. (Spent a several hours reading threads here) I found my local Hobby Haven carries tanks from IMEX, and can special order individual parts for me.

As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for." My Pershing showed up with a few missing parts. The decals, antenna, and the battery pack were not shipped with the tank. This was only a minor setback, as I soon bought a 3200mAh battery and a smart charger.

My next purchase were a set of metal tracks, sprockets, and steel gears. Unfortunately, the gears were not the right size and had to be returned, so I've been running it on the plastic gears for a few months now while I wait for funds/time/my shop to make another order. As long as I am gentle with the turning, the nylon gears do alright. I pestered my shop last Friday, and my new gears should be here within a few weeks now.

I took this pic this last weekend.

Just 5 second later, I realized that the dirt in my back yard was a bit stickier than I thought. I found that since the toolboxes on the skirts are hollow, mud and debris gets stuck in there, causing problems for my nylon gears. I'm currently experimenting with solutions to the debris problem.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoy mine and had a blast rebuilding it. You don't see a TON of Pershing's in the tanking world but lately there have been more parts available.

I did a full combat conversion and it's a great battler too. I stick with the plastic tracks, but I do own a metal set. It can be tricky to get the right motor / gear combo because the drive sprockets are relatively small, but once you do it's very agile across rough terrain.

My Pershing Build if you feel like poking around :P

Last edited by Strato50; 02-09-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Where are you? Maybe I can help.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by Strato50
I enjoy mine and had a blast rebuilding it. You don't see a TON of Pershing's in the tanking world but lately there have been more parts available.

I did a full combat conversion and it's a great battler too. I stick with the plastic tracks, but I do own a metal set. It can be tricky to get the right motor / gear combo because the drive sprockets are relatively small, but once you do it's very agile across rough terrain.

My Pershing Build if you feel like poking around :P
Very nice! That was actually one of the threads that inspired me. I'm thinking I'll take the Super Pershing route.

Last edited by Roboticus_Prime; 02-09-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by max-u52
where are you? Maybe i can help.
kc, mo
Old 02-10-2015, 07:02 AM
Roboticus_Prime

My solution for the debris problem is a 1mm think piece of plasticard. It worked perfectly! No debris collected under the fender, except over the sprocket and idler, so I trimmed them down.

I also trimmed around the taillight, which made removing and attaching the upper hull a breeze. I'll do the other side in the next day or so.

Last edited by Roboticus_Prime; 02-10-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:17 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work. Now get some paint on those sprockets!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:35 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

That is a good mod as most of the WWII Pershings were minus the side shields.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Max-U52

If your LHS doesn't take care of you let me know. I've got several of those steel gearboxes in the mid/low config that fit the Pershing and they're just laying around waiting to have their steel gears moved over to four shaft boxes. They'd probably be happier at your house, though, so just holler if you can't get them down there. BTW, I used to live in Rolla.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a very good choice since the Pershing has always been one of the better and more reliable HL offerings. Not much out there as far as add ons to the Pershing but plenty of mechanical and electronics options. I converted my sons HL M26 to a full Tamiya electronics package with servo elevation for less than the Tamiya Pershing. Thats pretty tough to do being that even the Tamiya M26 is not that exspensive considering what you could pay for many other upgrade options or an Taigen tank.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Small update.

Got the second fender plate installed and started trimming the right fender.

Did some running around in the leaves, and this little mod really helps keep the tracks clear of debris.

I did find the small issue of the front right A arm for the idler is a bit loose. This slightly misalignes the tracks, causing the track to ride high in the front return roller, where it rubs the fender. I'll probably wind up using a full-metal suspension. I'm having a hard time finding them State side though. Strato, I take it Tankarmy.com is an ok source?

LHS is dragging their feet with the order. I might have to buy direct from IMEX.

Thanks for all the support and advice! You guys are great!

Last edited by Roboticus_Prime; 02-12-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Well, this isn't the update that I wanted. My hobby shop ordered the wrong gearboxs from IMEX again, so I ordered from them directly. But alas, twas not meant to be. IMEX sent me an email saying that my order has been canceled because they don't have the steel gearboxes with the 58 mm shafts in stock.

But, I'm not going to post without something for you guys, so here's a pic of the trimmed right fender.

I have also reinforced the lower hull screw pylons with brass tubing, and made a temporary set of shields for the gears. I also put the plastic tracks back on since it looks like I'll be stuck with the gears for a while. I might just take you up on that offer Max-U52

Old 02-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Roboticus_Prime
Small update.

. Strato, I take it Tankarmy.com is an ok source?

LHS is dragging their feet with the order. I might have to buy direct from IMEX.

Thanks for all the support and advice! You guys are great!
The definitely are. Back when I was digging around for Pershing parts and as far as I still know they have the only source for that forward suspension arm you mentioned in metal. It's the weakest point on the Pershing.

Your Pershing will like those steel gearboxes if you ever get them I had 4:1's in mine but even with high RPM motors she was slowwww... 'standard' 3:1s work well.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:26 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you could be interested in these pictures.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...ong-based.html
Old 02-17-2015, 05:29 AM
Max-U52

How's the gearbox hunt going? I have the ones you need in 3 shaft black steel, brand new. They're the boxes that came with the JP lower hull and I've never used them. Detroit to MO ain't far. If you can put them back together I can send them in a small flat rate box for $6. PM me if you're interested. I have a Pershing of my own so I think I'm obligated to help out a fellow M26 enthusiast. I really like your side skirt mod, and I'll probably have to copy that one. Hey, they say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, eh?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:30 AM
BludoTheSmelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the 4:1s on my t34, smooth as butta
Old 02-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by Strato50
The definitely are. Back when I was digging around for Pershing parts and as far as I still know they have the only source for that forward suspension arm you mentioned in metal. It's the weakest point on the Pershing.

Your Pershing will like those steel gearboxes if you ever get them I had 4:1's in mine but even with high RPM motors she was slowwww... 'standard' 3:1s work well.
Looks like I'll be putting in an order when they get the complete kit in stock.

I think I'll like the slow speed. The thing could only do 5.25 mph off-road IRL. Plus, it'll be better for it when I get around to making it a Super Pershing.

Originally Posted by Max-U52
How's the gearbox hunt going? I have the ones you need in 3 shaft black steel, brand new. They're the boxes that came with the JP lower hull and I've never used them. Detroit to MO ain't far. If you can put them back together I can send them in a small flat rate box for $6. PM me if you're interested. I have a Pershing of my own so I think I'm obligated to help out a fellow M26 enthusiast. I really like your side skirt mod, and I'll probably have to copy that one. Hey, they say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, eh?
It's going great! Erik from IMEX hooked me up with some 4:1 steel gearboxes today. Seriously good cat, that guy. I'll definitely be buying more from them .
The bonus for the cut fenders is that the tracks will throw dirt and snow up on top of the fenders for a neat look. Not to mention leaves don't get stuck up there anymore.

Originally Posted by mcovalsk
Maybe you could be interested in these pictures.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...ong-based.html
That's awesome!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:32 AM
fynsdad

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

go for the super-P...you know you want to......LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	522508_113206852203029_715631982_n_zps7eeb75fb.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	2074893  
Old 02-20-2015, 05:07 AM
Max-U52

Erik's a great guy, and Florida ain't far from you so shipping should be speedy. I did a little mod to my machine gun mount on the M26, did you see that video?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:18 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by fynsdad
go for the super-P...you know you want to......LOL
Oh yes, I do want to go the Super Pershing route. But, for now I want to get it running the way that I want, before making it look the way that I want lol. Also, the dang T81 tracks are being very hard to come by.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:23 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Erik's a great guy, and Florida ain't far from you so shipping should be speedy. I did a little mod to my machine gun mount on the M26, did you see that video?
I can't wait! And no, I haven't seen it... Yet...
Old 02-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Max-U52

Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24-2g7uXGyw
Old 02-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Oh that's a good idea! Guess you noticed that the M2 is missing on my Pershing? Yeah... I broke that off. This looks like a much better way of fixing it than what I was going to do lol.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Max-U52

Actually, I didn't know yours broke off. I figured it just wasn't mounted so you could work on it. I just see so few mods for the M26 and it really is a great tank. Whenever someone comes over that has never driven an RC tank I always start them out on the M26 because it's such a great training tank. Very easy to drive, and a ton of fun. Almost everyone that tries it says the same thing, "Man, I got to get me one of these!".
Old 02-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Hey guys! Thanks to the glorious efforts of Mr Erik, I received my gearboxes today!

Not wanting to cause truble down the road, I decided to reinforce the motor mounts in the hull.

I have run into a little hiccup though. One of the supports for the smoker is blocking the new gearbox on the right side. Does anyone have any tips for getting it in there without breaking anything? =3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.