Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

ACE/AAF Danville Event March 20-22

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ACE/AAF Danville Event March 20-22

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:46 AM
sergeantseabass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so good news for me.

Got the final authorization for an off post dispatch from Houlsehold6. I am a go for Danville.

Now I just need to make sure that i have everything. Downside. My tank won't be ready in time. I will be bringing one of my other ones to play around with just won't have a battler with me.

So if anyone has any recommendations of what i whould bring with me pleas let me know.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Rustytrax

Good shoes for standing on cold concrete for 12 hours. A SMILE!, A battery and charger. This way if you drive a loaner you can help charge it. If you have a 2.4 you might also consider bringing that as well. Some folks only have one radio and if they loaned you something... well you get the idea.

What do you need for your tank? I have an m41 that was going to be a battle tank.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:57 AM
sergeantseabass

Well right now I'm waiting on the new control board for it. and I haven't figured out how i am going to mount the apple to the M41. Since the Hatch isn't a circle it is going to make it a bit harder. Also with the new barrel that i just got with i found it it is solid so figuring out how to mount the flash LED and the IR led in spots that make sense is going to be alot more difficult now. I'll probably bing the tank with me if for nothing more than for everyone to eyeball and such. I'll bring all the bats and chargers I got as well as my radio. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:58 AM
sergeantseabass

double post!

Last edited by sergeantseabass; 03-18-2015 at 07:58 AM. Reason: double post
Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 AM
Rustytrax

You dremel a groove in the underside of the barrel for the flash LED. Unless you are using the HL high intensity flash. If that's the case have a machinist bore it out.
I had the clarke apple mount in my turret and it sat high enough in the copula that the apple fit fine. I think I had to remove the hatch though when the apple was installed. It might block the apple otherwise.
The IR led I mounted in the mantlet.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:25 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, some good shoes, thick socks, maybe even some thin gloves though I could never battle wearing gloves. Looks like the weather outside will be nice but the cold nights will keep
the museum pretty chilly during the day. Also remember to bring a couple extra bucks for meals, parts buying, beverages(perhaps the adult kind) etc.
Bill, you staying over for any of the nights? If so grab a room at the comfort inn. Their are other hotels in the area that are a bit cheaper, but we have always hung at the comfort inn
for the after parties.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:29 AM
DaveBcool

If you stay at the Comfort Inn, make sure you tell them you are with the AAF Tank Museum, and you will get a cheaper rate.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:31 PM
sergeantseabass

OK yeah I'm gonna being staying Friday and Saturday night. Leave back home after the battle on Sunday. I did plan to stay at the comfort Inn. speaking of which i have to make my reservation. them them, right now, as well as install the new board take out the bad motors, find the elevation spring my 5 yr old managed to make invisible, contemplate putting a grove in this nice barrel i just received, drink and adult beverage, and something else that i am forgetting at the moment. Ohh well sometimes I just perform better in the clutch scenario's.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:46 PM
sergeantseabass

OK quick Queston.

How f'finished does a tank have to be to be able to compete? I.E. paint?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Namerifrats

Hoping I can drop by. I only live an hour and a half away. Not sure work will cooperate though as I'm on call 24/7. So even if I can go, I may still be in Danville as I go through there several times per week. Wave if you see a train, might be me, ol
Old 03-19-2015, 05:00 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by sergeantseabass
OK quick Queston.

How f'finished does a tank have to be to be able to compete? I.E. paint?
As long as all major functions (battlesystem, barrel flash, etc.) work you can compete. We've had tanks built over night show up the next day and battle.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 AM
TheBennyB

Less than 24hrs tankers!! I'll be hitting the road around 5 tonite to make the trip down. Also for any newcomers, When you park in the back parking lot you enter the actual museum through a loading bay door which will have a
pull gate on it. It has a combo lock on it, so if no one hears or see's you at the gate call the museum and let them know your at the back entrance for the R/C tank event and someone will come open it for you.
So make sure to have the museum number on your phone. We can see the gate easily from the battlefield but if it's busy or just happens no one's watching don't want you sitting out there too long.
Looking forward to it!!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:54 PM
Namerifrats

Does normal museum admission apply to these events or is there a different rate?
Old 03-20-2015, 05:49 AM
DaveBcool

You do not need to pay museum admission, but there are fees for the battle-event.
40 or $45 for three days for non-museum members
30 or $35 for members

$20 for 1 day non members
$15 for members

I am not if these are the most current prices, but they are within $5.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope you guys get some good video of the battles.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
You dremel a groove in the underside of the barrel for the flash LED. Unless you are using the HL high intensity flash. If that's the case have a machinist bore it out.
I had the clarke apple mount in my turret and it sat high enough in the copula that the apple fit fine. I think I had to remove the hatch though when the apple was installed. It might block the apple otherwise.
The IR led I mounted in the mantlet.
Good luck. A quarter inch hole at least six inches deep if you go in from each end? Sounds easy, but it really ain't. You'll probably need a shop with a gun drill. I don't know about down there, but up here machine time is $80 an hour with a one hour minimum. Exactly how long is the barrel, Bill? I could probably do it, but you're looking at a week or more just to go back and forth in the mail.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:28 AM
TheBennyB

Just wanted to thank the AAF tank museum for having us and to all the tankers that attended the event. We had a turn out of around 25 tankers and had great success running the RT scenarios, button mashing team deathmatch, HQ capture, spy tank, and even a zombie apocalypse scenario. I'm hoping Leong or someone else with a camera will post some pics and videos soon. Thanks again to all the tankers that
came to play, had a great time!
Old 03-23-2015, 05:34 AM
BludoTheSmelly

My truck decided to break on the way up friday. I'll make it out to the april event.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:03 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by BludoTheSmelly
My truck decided to break on the way up friday. I'll make it out to the april event.
Sorry to hear that Shannon. Hope your ok and just the truck needs some work.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:31 AM
DaveBcool

And I want to thank the members of ACE for running the event.
It was one of the better events in a while, based on attendance, battle styles/scenarios, and fun.
It was well-paced, so that there was enough time in between battles for battery changing, fixin' stuff, and bathroom breaks.
But there was not a whole lot of down time while waiting around for a battle to start.
There was a good variety of battle styles, with pretty solid enthusiasm for each.
There were pretty competitive teams established, resulting in increased heart rate, but were still fun.
Well, at least for the winning team.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:31 AM
DaveBcool

And I want to thank the members of ACE for running the event.
It was one of the better events in a while, based on attendance, battle styles/scenarios, and fun.
It was well-paced, so that there was enough time in between battles for battery changing, fixin' stuff, and bathroom breaks.
But there was not a whole lot of down time while waiting around for a battle to start.
There was a good variety of battle styles, with pretty solid enthusiasm for each.
There were pretty competitive teams established, resulting in increased heart rate, but were still fun.
Well, at least for the winning team.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:34 AM
DaveBcool

Doug posted a few short videos on FB

https://www.facebook.com/AAFTankMuseum
Old 03-23-2015, 09:08 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I'll second Dave's sentiment. RT has evolved quite a bit from its initial form and it was not merely the gameplay itself but also the effort that ACE puts in working tankers up to the actual campaign so they don't get thrown in at the deep end. I noticed and appreciated Jake's effort in playing as "karma", making balanced teams on Friday, so that everyone could get enough stick time, even if it meant gifting a losing team extra respawns to keep the scenario going for a little while longer. And it didn't seem like anyone was missing artillery strikes.

I actually enjoy being XO now, as it allows me to function as a second pair of eyes for the CO, while minding the truck, and sniping. The game format rewards teamwork and combined fire in addition to individual tank piloting excellence. But once teams start losing their leaders, panic ensues - just like in a real life firefight.

Come to think of it, the zombie scenario we played on Sunday is reminiscent of real-life battles where German tanks had to deal with waves of Allied tanks outnumbering and swamping them even though each of those Allied tanks were one shot kills. It would seem like the kill ratio was in double figures for each defender lost, though!

I did not shoot much photos or video this time I was having too much fun (sorry Bret!) but what I have, I will post soon. I am recovering from a 12 hour trip, left at 2pm and got back home at 1.30am.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 PM
macnjam

All, go to https://youtu.be/Gs7et8WtRlA for some video from a static camera I hung on the roof of a building in the town. At about 4 minutes 33 seconds in the action picks up as cleong and Dave's tanks make a hasty "attack in a different direction" across the bridge. Not as much action in the video has I hoped :[

I had an awesome time and it was great to see all the familiar faces. Great job by ACE in running the event!

Joe
Old 03-23-2015, 03:06 PM
sergeantseabass

Hey I just want to say as the Noob of the group up there at Danville this past weekend that I had an absolute blast last weekend. I want to thank EVERYONE up there. it has been a long time since I came into a place and felt as welcome as i have there right off the bat. I couldn't get my tank up and running in time but a couple of the vets were more than willing to lend me tank to get out there and battle. A special thanks to TheBennyB for the use of his Tiger. I even ended up buying a tank from one of the guys up there.. My newsed Tiger has a very storied history of being thoughout Danville (apperently have of Danville has owned it at one point or another).

If you have not had a chance to go to an event at Danville and Battle. I HIGHLY recommend that you take the next chance that you get. Everyone was very helpful, friendly and a wealth of knowledge. The battles were great my deaths were many, but I did cause a few deaths at least. I can't wait to get up there the next available chance that i get.

thanks again to everyone up there and thanks to ACE for running the event and coming up with some interesting and dynamic battles.

PS. Be warned though if you haven't caught the bug fully by the time you get up to Danville, you WILL have the tank bug by the time you leave your first battle.

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.