Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

ACE/AAF Danville Event March 20-22

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ACE/AAF Danville Event March 20-22

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:33 AM
DaveBcool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vast majority of the guys who have been battling at Danville for a while ALWAYS take it easy on newbies.
In fact we do our best to make them feel welcome and make sure they have fun.
Should newbies expect to get knocked out of battles?
Of course.
That's part of being a newbie.
But, putting it out here like all the experienced guys are going to waste the newbies with fan shots is bogus.

Most (but not all) of the fan/lag shots that do happen are between guys who have played that way before.
The days of competitive teams practicing these techniques to gain any little advantage are gone.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Green Amphibian

I have been battling for a few years now and I refuse to use the fan shot. Whether it is allowed or not, I don't use it, but that is just me. If it is stated before hand that it is legal, so be it, accept it or don't battle. Your choice. Just my 2 cents.

Herman
Old 03-05-2015, 11:52 AM
sergeantseabass

Gotta say as a NOOB i'm not sure what a fan shot even is. I propbly won't be able to battle this month but I do plan to come up and at least watch.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sergeantseabass
Gotta say as a NOOB i'm not sure what a fan shot even is. I propbly won't be able to battle this month but I do plan to come up and at least watch.
I or someone else will definitely get you on the battlefield with a tank, don't worry about that. Since my club's running the event my tanks will be pretty lonely, so having someone run them while
I'm monitoring will be a win-win. In a nut shell, with the Tamiya system the IR bulb stays lit for an entire second. This allows a tank to "sweep" the field either by turning your turret or lower hull to
utilize the entire 1 second length and possibly hit multiple targets.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 03-05-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:08 PM
sergeantseabass

Hey thanks alot. I just don't think that I'll be able to get my tank finished and fully IR ready before the 20th. I might get lucky but with parts taking forever to show up I'm just not sure. But I'll take any tank to battle. Or at least take any tank to be the foder that helps one of the teams win.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:49 PM
thecommander

I can't wait for this event. It has been a long, cold, snowy winter....Too cold for NEAD's traditional winter battles in the real snow. But the recent WRAM indoor show was a nice substitute however. Maybe April will be kinder to us up north...and a little snow left to battle on too.

The ACE events are always great guys. Just come a join us for the fun. The ACE club know how to keep you on your toes. I will gladly pair up with any noob as long as he doesn't accidently shoot his team mates.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:31 PM
sergeantseabass

So i'm looking for some advise and any helpful pointer that anyone is willing to throw my way. This event will be my first one. i don't think that my tank will be ready in time but I have had a couple of gracious offers from other RCU member to let me TC one of their tanks at least for a little bit. So here are the questions that i have.

1. When should i show up. should i try to plan for all three days, Should i only show up on Saturday?
2. What time should i arrive. I have no problem helping out in fact i would welcome it. Give me a chance to meet some of you in person and earn my keep.
3. Is there anything that i should know walking in? Do i walk in the front or is there another entrance that I should use?
4. On the off chance that i get my tank up by then (fingers crossed) I know that this is an event between two clubs if I understand it right. I don't have a club yet. HEAT would be the most logical since I am with in the "sphere of influence" as it were but I haven't asked to join yet (not even sure if I can) so if I show up with a tank unaffiliated could i even participate?

I'm sorry if this seems a little weird or anything but i am truly excited to go. But at the same time i don't want to look like a brand new private that is seeing a tank for the first time . I DO want to at least look a little like I belong.

Thanks in advance

Bill
Old 03-05-2015, 07:57 PM
DaveBcool

Hey Bill, no worries.
The number of days you stay is your call.
Those who do stay, usually stay at the Danville Comfort Inn.
If you make as reservation, tell them you are with the AAF Museum, and they give a discount.

Fridays are typically slow starting, with guys arriving, checking in, and bench talk.
But, they are good for a noob as the battles are smaller and less intense.
Same with Sundays.
Saturdays are always the busiest, and many guys only come for the day.
For this ACE battleday, I would recommend getting there Fri after lunch.
That will give you some time to get to know the field and run some practice rounds.
The Rolling Thunder type battles that we will be running on Sat can be complex, so the more practice the better.

Yes both HEAT and ACE clubs will be there, but we are not 'teams' per se.
We divide all the tankers into equal teams in terms of numbers and abilities, not based on club membership.

When you first pull in to the AAF parking lot, turn left and go through the gates to the back of the Museum.
You will see where to park, and you enter through the garage door with the gate on it.
You will see the field and workbench area once you enter.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 PM
DaveBcool

Default Rolling Thunder Rules

Hey Tankers!
Here's the latest version of the cheat sheet for the Rolling Thunder Campaign Battles.
ACE will be running these mostly on Saturday, but Friday will involve some related team building exercises.
Please read carefully, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
If it is your 1st time reading it, go through it start to finish once, then read it again and use the reference numbers.
If you want to print it, it will fit on an 11 x 17, but 8.5 x 11 will be too small to read the type.

For those who have seen this before, a few things have changed, so please review it again.
Nothing major in terms of the overall game-play, just a few tweaks here and there.

The more you understand before the event, the more fun you will have at the event.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RollingThunderBattles7.pdf (1.28 MB, 47 views)
Old 03-05-2015, 08:23 PM
sergeantseabass

Originally Posted by DaveBcool
Hey Bill, no worries.
The number of days you stay is your call.
Those who do stay, usually stay at the Danville Comfort Inn.
If you make as reservation, tell them you are with the AAF Museum, and they give a discount.

Fridays are typically slow starting, with guys arriving, checking in, and bench talk.
But, they are good for a noob as the battles are smaller and less intense.
Same with Sundays.
Saturdays are always the busiest, and many guys only come for the day.
For this ACE battleday, I would recommend getting there Fri after lunch.
That will give you some time to get to know the field and run some practice rounds.
The Rolling Thunder type battles that we will be running on Sat can be complex, so the more practice the better.

Yes both HEAT and ACE clubs will be there, but we are not 'teams' per se.
We divide all the tankers into equal teams in terms of numbers and abilities, not based on club membership.

When you first pull in to the AAF parking lot, turn left and go through the gates to the back of the Museum.
You will see where to park, and you enter through the garage door with the gate on it.
You will see the field and workbench area once you enter.
DaveBcool Hey thanks alot.

I'm gonna try to go all three days. friday will be th only day that i might have a little bit of contension but i think my SGM will let me offon that day to be able to come up. I am really looking forward to this. I hope my tank if fully operational before then but if not I'm fine just watching and helping out others where I can. Assuming all goes well i hope to see all you (or at least some of you on Friday around 1300 give or take.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:37 AM
TheBennyB

Bill,
If you have the time and budget stay a night at the comfort inn instead of driving home, we have an after action pool party with some cold ones and talk shop. If it's too cold to be by the pool someone usually turns
there room into a lounge for the night.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:42 AM
sergeantseabass

OK Thanks for the invite It shouldn't be to much of a problem for me to get a room at the comfort in for the weekend.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:28 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

@TheBennyB and DaveBcool, Like I said in my reply to RustyTracks, I was not trying to offend or flame on the ACE event.
I apologize for opening up the idea that newbies should be made aware of what the fan/lag shot is. That was my only intent. I agree with you that veterans wouldn't on purpose go after the newbies.

That said, veterans of the fan/lag shot will have the advantage of knowing how to do it. Again, I am not trying to stir the pot just saying it could lead to frustration for those who have not experienced the fan/lag for the first time or it could be very exciting and fun for them?

TheBennyB said in the past it has been frustrating for some as there was concern as to whether the fan/lag shot was taken on purpose or an accident. Since this is an event where the fan/lag is allowed no one should be upset.

Again I apologize for causing this to flare up as it was not meant to be considered a direct attack on anyone or the ACE event. It was only meant to bring awareness of what the fan/lag shot is.

I sincerely hope all have fun at the event! If I can make it, I would still like to observe and maybe drive the battle field!!

Rudy
Old 03-06-2015, 07:28 AM
TheBennyB

Rudy, its all good. Hope you can make it, and I'm sure we can get you into a battle if your interested or your more than welcome to cruise the field with a tank between battles. The battlefield is a great venue
to get pics of your tanks on a scale field with the village, town buildings, trees, bridges, etc.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I wish it was about a week later! My bday is around then and I'll be taking the weekend and a day or two off to celebrate We will come up soon though... My Jagdtiger will be coming soon and I want to show it off!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:15 PM
CustomRCmodels

Originally Posted by MAUS45 I hope to make an event this year, but really do not want to deal with the fan/lag shot thing. That is the most unrealistic thing in r/c tanking. One tank getting hits on several with one shot??? Just sucks the fun right out of battling. Especially if you are a newbie. Maybe if those who have spent so much time practicing the fan/lag shot, to get a cheap advantage, would spend more time on realistic armor tactics it would be more fun?

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Far as I'm concerned there is absolutely nothing realistic about these tanks with regard to IR battling to begin with. Just a platform for an IR battle. The fan and lag shot are not used very much these days, it's just a means to stop sideline bickering on wether or not someone did this or that or was it accidental......etc. We try and play realistic scenarios but everything from the battle systems, to driving styles, to tactics used is nothing you would see in actual warfare. Haven't had any complaints yet from new tankers that have attended any of our RT events. Just a fun weekend with some great people.
yes , this is truly a fact , fan and lag shots are almost gone during these style of tank-battle's . There is so much other action going on you have to keep up with !
Action's which are not used in regular R/C tank battling , like tank-recovery ( you have to drive your tank up on a flat-bed trailer and this truck is bringing you back to the home base , and you can re-join the battle-action )

mine fields and mine-clearing , blocked bridges and bridge repair , fuel-support , your tanks can run out of fuel during a battle , air-strikes and the list goes on...
check out these additional info's :
http://www.customrcmodels.com/ace/ac...march_2015.htm

this section can be found on our TankACE.org website

you will find there also info's about the AAF-Tank-Museum ( with an interactive map of the location ) and past events , photos , video's etc.

more updates to these site's will follow
Old 03-07-2015, 01:10 PM
CustomRCmodels

just did some more updates , links , photos etc.
battlefield registration form is added too

TankACE.org website

AAF-Tank-Museum

more updates to these site's will follow
Old 03-08-2015, 05:45 AM
macnjam

Looks like another fun event. Count me in! Also assuming I get my replacement TK22G2 board in time I plan to bring my Leopard 1 with GBS (gun barrel stabilization), which should be cool. I had it working until I fried a chip putting in a new rotation motor with an incompatible capacitor

Joe in Atlanta
Old 03-08-2015, 07:04 AM
sergeantseabass

I'll be making it there. With any luck my Bulldog will be finished. Still waiting on parts. But at least i pretty much have the lower chassis done as far as mechanical. Just need to finish up the turret
Old 03-13-2015, 08:25 AM
TheBennyB

One week away tankers!! Get your preventive maintenance done and those batteries charged. Also for anyone coming to the museum for the first time it stays pretty chilly in the musuem this time of year, you'll be holding a TX for long periods of time and standing on cold concrete all day so dress according. Some tankers even bring small space heaters for their workbench area. Very excited to see everyone in a couple days
and get some trigger time in.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:32 AM
sergeantseabass

thanks for the Heads up on the temp. i'll make sure that i have a sweatshirt with me.At the rate that it is going with parts i might be wrenching until the we hours of Friday before I leave, but might actually have a tank ready to battle, or at least I hope ready to battle. Bunch of parts came in for the lower chassis so I'm re working the whole thing, But I'm still waiting on my turret parts to make it here in time. I think that I'll be cutting it close if I try to battle with my Bulldog.

Separate question. i saw the registration form and it askes to state what tanks your bringing with you. what is the rule, general thought on bringing a tank that cannot battle. I got a M4A3 Sherman that is airsoft, so it can't battle there but I thought I might be able to get some stick time on it in between battles.

thanks
Old 03-13-2015, 08:38 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by sergeantseabass
thanks for the Heads up on the temp. i'll make sure that i have a sweatshirt with me.At the rate that it is going with parts i might be wrenching until the we hours of Friday before I leave, but might actually have a tank ready to battle, or at least I hope ready to battle. Bunch of parts came in for the lower chassis so I'm re working the whole thing, But I'm still waiting on my turret parts to make it here in time. I think that I'll be cutting it close if I try to battle with my Bulldog.

Separate question. i saw the registration form and it askes to state what tanks your bringing with you. what is the rule, general thought on bringing a tank that cannot battle. I got a M4A3 Sherman that is airsoft, so it can't battle there but I thought I might be able to get some stick time on it in between battles.

thanks
In general if a tank is going to be on the field it needs to be listed on your registration form. No biggie, just used to keep track of things if need be for the museum. Don't rush your build just for this event.
Don't want you to regret any decisions and have to go back and change anything. We'll get ya on the field to experience IR battling so don't worry about that.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:07 AM
Rustytrax

I'm ready... I think! The jumbo now has a new elevation arm on the mantlet that shouldn't break off. M26, a3, e8, e2, ALLIES are ready! PzKw iv,v,vi's AXIS are ready.

Bret this is for you... the answer to all complaints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwPtWHNqJIo
Old 03-13-2015, 09:20 AM
sergeantseabass

thanks BennyB all good info to know. I wouldn't say that I'm rushing my build. I know what I want for my bulldog and for the most part it is just a matter of parts coming in. and the last bit of parts are all pretty much lug and play. But everytime I get a new part it's like christmas all over again and i can't wait to tear into it and get it put on. Really looking forward to danville Next week. hopefully I have a tank of my own to use but if not I know that here have been a couple of offers from others on here to let me "borrow" a tank during the battles. Which is awesome in it's own right.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:01 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
I'm ready... I think! The jumbo now has a new elevation arm on the mantlet that shouldn't break off. M26, a3, e8, e2, ALLIES are ready! PzKw iv,v,vi's AXIS are ready.

Bret this is for you... the answer to all complaints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwPtWHNqJIo
Fantastic! I'll get that cued up on the PA system at the museum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.