Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Calrk TK22/Taigen T34/Sherman issues

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Calrk TK22/Taigen T34/Sherman issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calrk TK22/Taigen T34/Sherman issues

Im trying to install my Clark TK22 in my Taigen T34. Has anyone done this with
the Taigen T34 or Taigen Sherman? The wiring is different than my Tiger I. The board
works fine in my Tiger but when I put it in my T34 it makes a poping noise and my RX goes dead.
The board is fine though, like I said it works in my Tiger. I also noticed that if I plug the Gun Flash Unit
in directly to the CN3 Clark board it works great. The T34 has a plug in in the turret as soon as I plug the
Gun Flash Unit in there, poof out goes the RX. This has the 360* turret and is IR. Basicly I cannot have both the
CN2 IR port and the Gun Flash CN3 port plugged in at the same time, one or the other. If the IR port is plugged in
all works fine except the gun keeps recoiling. If just the Gun Flash is plugged in then flash. Soory for the confusing post,
but Im very confused and I dont want to burn oyt this Clark board. I still have one to put in my Sherman also, it looks to be
the same wiring as the T34. I have sent a couple PMs also to a couple other members, just havent heard back yet. I traced
some of the wires and it appears the CN2 and CN3 ports share some of the same wires, not sure if thats right ???

Thank you
Shorty
Old 02-18-2015, 08:06 AM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the popping noise coming from your RX or your speakers? Do you see smoke when that happens? Does the tank work fine without CN2 and CN3 being connected?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:22 AM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by Captain Nemo12
Is the popping noise coming from your RX or your speakers? Do you see smoke when that happens? Does the tank work fine without CN2 and CN3 being connected?
The popping noise sounds like its in the speaker, but as soon as I put the CN3 connector on the board the light goes out on the
RX. I unplug instantly. The very first time I hooked it up, assuming all was going to work, I saw smoke at my battery connector, I unplugged right away and wires were hot along with battery. Thats when I put the TK22 in my Tiger to make sure it was ok, which it is. It will work with either CN2 or CN3 plugged in, just not at the same time. If I plug the Flash Unit in directly to the TK22 CN3, like my Tiger is, then everything works great. With the 360* turret wiring I only have 3 wires coming into the CN3 at the TK22, 1,2,& 5 ?????
Old 02-18-2015, 08:54 AM
Captain Nemo12

Are you using the same RX for both the Tiger and T-34? What is the brand of the RX? Does the T-34 function fine on stock Taigen electronics?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Shorty54

Are you using the same RX for both the Tiger and T-34? What is the brand of the RX? Does the T-34 function fine on stock Taigen electronics?
The T34 works fine with the stock electronics. Im using a HK-T6A V2 TX and HK TR6A V2 RX. I have 2 of each, one for the T34 and one for the Tiger. I have a spare DX5E and Orange RX I will be using on the Sherman. I have not used the RX out of the T34 in the Tiger, but have used the TK22 out of the T34 in the Tiger. All the functions work on the T34, I just cant have them all plugged in at the same time.?
Old 02-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Captain Nemo12

I would try swapping the RX from the Tiger into the T-34 and seeing what happens. If the problems disappear when using the RX from the Tiger, then it must be a faulty RX in the T-34. It happens sometimes with the Hobby King stuff.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Shorty54

I would try swapping the RX from the Tiger into the T-34 and seeing what happens. If the problems disappear when using the RX from the Tiger, then it must be a faulty RX in the T-34. It happens sometimes with the Hobby King stuff.
Switched RXs, still does it in T34. I have 3 RXs, they all work in the Tiger, and all quit in the T34.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Shorty54

For now I just unpluged the Gun Flash unit from the upper turret and ran the wires straight to the TK22 and pluged them in, same as the tiger. I did not plug the original plug that is suppose to plug into the TK22. Everything works great except I have to be careful turning the turret so the wires from the Gun Flash Unit dont get tangled. Now I just cant figure out why they wont reigster a hit when shot at? Maybe its not programed to? Im using the Taigen Apple. I would still like to know how to wire this up properly. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I think you have to use a Tamiya Apple for the Clark board.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:29 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MAUS45
I think you have to use a Tamiya Apple for the Clark board.
You don't have to, it just requires some re-wiring and careful repinning of a connector to make a HL style work. Plus you need to install your own 'hit' LEDs, otherwise that's poor sportsmanship :P

Shorty, the Clark website http://www.clark-model.com/eng/prod_rx20/index.html has lots of useful info on wiring and such. If you want to use the Taigen apple it will show you how... just off the top of my head I know that right away "something" like pin 2 and 3 need to be reversed.. but please double check!

I haven't really considered the 360 turret rings for any of my tanks, and theres a simple reason. Not ONE of my tanks has the same bundle of wires coming down from the turret.. some have servos, some have extra lights. The standard ring doesn't cater to most 'custom' models.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Captain Nemo12

Originally Posted by Strato50;11986021
Shorty, the Clark website [URL
http://www.clark-model.com/eng/prod_rx20/index.html[/URL] has lots of useful info on wiring and such. If you want to use the Taigen apple it will show you how... just off the top of my head I know that right away "something" like pin 2 and 3 need to be reversed.. but please double check!
Strato brings up a very good point here. I remembered that when I was writing the RX-18 (the HL version of the control board), and I noticed that the order of the pins on the 8-pin cable is very important. This cable is what links the upper hull (turret, lights etc) functions to the control board. Follow the wires and make sure that they are in identical order to the cable on the Tiger.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:18 AM
Shorty54

Ok, so just an update to what I ended up doing. As stated above I pluged the Gun Flash directly into the TK22 port, bypassing the connector in the top od the turret. To get the IR function to work properly on both the Tiger and T34, I installed the new IR LED (IR010) that came with the board, to the connector that came with the board (CAB001) and plugged that into PORT J1 on the TK22. I then took the 2 wires that connected the original Taigen IR LED, and connected a red LED and ran the led to the top of where the HBU is. Now the red LED flashes when it takes a hit. I also believe this will help with programing when I get the remote. I can easily push the LED out of site if not battling. So in the end all is working and Im satisfied, other than the T34 TK22 is not as loud as the Tiger TK22, mostly engine sound and cannon. I do have a question about the IR signal. I put the IR LED 9mm back from the front opening of both tanks. The Tiger seems to have a larger opening than the T34. I have noticed that the Tiger can hit the T34 pretty easy, I dont have to be spot on. The T34 seems to have a smaller hole and it needs to be more spot on to hit the Tiger. Both IR LEDs are new and they are the High Power ones that come with the Clark Boards. Any suggestions?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:51 PM
clarkmodel

That's why we are working on standardized IR transmitter housing for IR010 for each tank.

Last edited by clarkmodel; 02-24-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:45 AM
Shorty54

Should I just drill out the holes in the smaller tanks to match the Tiger then? Or do I leave that way and enjoy the advantage of being able to hit the T34 and Sherman easier with the Tiger? Although my wife and daughter may not approve of that, since they have the T34 and Sherman!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

So don't tell 'em.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:03 AM
clarkmodel

Originally Posted by Shorty54
Should I just drill out the holes in the smaller tanks to match the Tiger then? Or do I leave that way and enjoy the advantage of being able to hit the T34 and Sherman easier with the Tiger? Although my wife and daughter may not approve of that, since they have the T34 and Sherman!
That's good for you! my old Tamiya Tiger also have this advantage before modification

If you care about Tamiya compatibility, the aperture of Taigen Tank is actually too large, so I made a housing for IR LED to match TAMIYA IR transmitting characteristic(view angle and distance).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IR TX.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	2076268  

Last edited by clarkmodel; 02-25-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 AM
TheBennyB

Also if you plan on battling with any clubs they usually go by the tamiya standard of IR bulb housing, so the housing should be no larger than 6mm ID and set at a depth of atleast 9mm to front of the IR bulb.