Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Henn-tec idler review

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:29 AM
Darkearth74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Henn-tec idler review

Well here it is installed ,fits like a glove.i had to grind alot of material from the arm ports on my chassis with a dremel.i installed the plates first them marked the chassis with a scribe ,ground the excess material away ,and the rest was a breeze( dont forget to wear safety glasses lol) .i would tell you to test fit every part in every possible configuration to find the best fit before modifying anything on your chassis .they are miles ahead of the stock idlers if you get them and install them correctly you will not be dissapionted ,well worth the money,on a side note you will need a dremel and some forthought to correctly install the upgrade.thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2075363  
Old 02-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Darkearth74

Update ,before i installed these the stock idler arms fit so poorly that the idler wheels pointed inward toward the front because of the wieght of the metal tracks ,that problem is now corrected as you can see they are nice and straight ,much like i had a four wheel alighnment lol,hope you enjoy!

Views:	1414
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2075511  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:28 PM
CHIEFSONN

How is the adjustments made.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:01 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This for the Torro King Tiger? And, did it come with any instructions?

I have a set of those on my Bulldog. Very nice indeed. You adjust by rotating the idler arm and locking it down with a set screw.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:06 PM
Darkearth74

Can you see the set screw in there?adjustments can be made with a fully assembled kit,this is for a tamiya kt.

Views:	922
Size:	900.4 KB
ID:	2075548  
Old 02-22-2015, 07:42 PM
sergeantseabass

Do you know if they make a tensioner for the M41 Bulldog? or if I could modify one for a different tank to work?
Old 02-22-2015, 10:13 PM
sturmgescheutz

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello ,

thanks for the feedback here.

About the question for the M41 from HL,yes of course i made something for this tank.

You can see it in the rctank shop from Dominique........

http://www.rctank.de/HQ-US-M41-Kette...tallleitraeder

If there are any questions,feel free to mail me : [email protected]

Regards,Guido

www.henntec.de
Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 AM
sergeantseabass

Hey Thanks! That was just what i was looking for. I just ordered a set!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:13 AM
godowar

Originally Posted by sturmgescheutz
Hello ,

thanks for the feedback here.

About the question for the M41 from HL,yes of course i made something for this tank.

You can see it in the rctank shop from Dominique........

http://www.rctank.de/HQ-US-M41-Kette...tallleitraeder

If there are any questions,feel free to mail me : [email protected]

Regards,Guido

www.henntec.de
Guido,

Wouldn't happen to be working on an idler for the HL Abrams would ya?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not everyone thinks they're great.

I've got a few of these kits installed on Tamiya Tiger 1s, and found the set screws will not hold the idler shafts in place. The idler shaft kept slipping (rotating) inside the shaft collar despite the set screw being very tight (I broke a 1.5mm Allen wrench trying to get it tighter). The result was loose tracks, and tanks that were unreliable in battles.

I fixed the problem by drilling and tapping a second set screw (180 degrees opposed to the existing one) into the idler shaft collar.

I feel it is a unique idler setup, and consider it one of the better solutions for misaligned idler shafts, but in my opinion, it was under engineered. Maybe they've been modified since my experience. I don't like repairing or modifying new items. I felt that for the price paid, it shouldn't have needed any modification to be effective at holding idler shafts straight and in place. If the idler collar had the second set screw, I'd likely change my opinion on these.

Last edited by Jeff489; 02-23-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Darkearth74

Hi jeff,did the set screws on you idlers have a flat face ?,because the set screws on mine came with pionted faces and splined idler shafts ,they may have been improved on later versions.they lock in place very firmly and i dont believe this will be an issue,thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Jeff489

They were pointed grub screws, not the truncated cone or flat type. I did try replacing the screws with some stainless steel pointed ones in the hopes of a quick fix. Same result. Fail. The kits were purchased last summer if I recall.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:46 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Guys
I've used both the Henntech & HQ types on my M41's. THE HQ's, I got in September last year, I noticed they're different from the earlier Henntechs, in that they've got knurling on the shaft, inboard from the elbows, which allows a more positive engagement with the grub screw. I've also made a couple of alterations to my Henntechs, I replaced the grub screws with M3X8mm socket head cap screws - they're easier to manipulate, and I changed the 2mm attachment bolts to 2.5mm bolts with locking nuts, so no more coming loose & lost.
Mal
Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 PM
sturmgescheutz

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

I'm very sorry that you had problems with a system.

But what I can not understand, that you have made any complaint to the dealer or to me.
Then you would quickly replace parts or you we would be able to offer you a new system.

That would have been an Feedback in the right place.

By the way.....
it is true that the systems were revised.
The axels of the eccentrics are now knurled, the set screws are now equipped with a blade and stainless steel.

After this update, I have never heard of problems.

If anybody has a problem,feel free to mail me.I offer customer service, anytime, anywhere.

But in such a stupid way it happened here, I can not help anyone!!

Regards,,Guido

www.henntec.de
Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 PM
HAL_HUSKER

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

My 5 cents... Not to advertise this product, but to say very particular things - the product is great. I have ordered at least 10 sets for different models and Clients including T-55 for KV-1 - all works perfectly and correctly.

Unfortunately when I ordered Taigen lower hassis for Pather-G i had to change the tension system for Henntech one, as Taigen works not properly (imho). When I did it - everything started to work correctly.

And just as recommendation - as Guido has said in case of a problem address your dealer directly...
Old 02-24-2015, 01:05 PM
CHIEFSONN

Hal are you referring to the type that is adjusted from underneath,like the stock tamiya panther?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:27 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a Tamiya Tiger I and it uses the same method as the newer Panther G and I have had zero issues with it failing after 10 years. I do have to adjust it periodically but it is easy to do as adjustment screws are accessible from the outside of the tank at the rear of the hull on the bottom. That said what are the advantages to upgrading a Tamiya tank to this system?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:09 PM
CHIEFSONN

The Tamiya King Tiger does not have the same idler adjuster as the panther or as you said the Tiger I, the King Tiger idler it is a poorly made design. and when metal tracks are installed it is terrible.I my self think they should install the panthers ,Tiger I idler adjuster and do away with there stock set-up. I like Tamiyas setup.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:57 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree Chiefsonn, the Tiger II and the Sherman need updates to their track tension adjustmet parts. I would like to see the Tiger I/Panther G setup in the Tiger II as well. Or maybe the HennTec is the only answer right now.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Jeff489

But what I can not understand, that you have made any complaint to the dealer or to me.
I did. In fact, I posted my negative experience at the time on RCU here (see post #4) back in 2013. You didn't respond to that post. The problem wasn't hidden or unreported.

As I said in my original post
Maybe they've been modified since my experience. I don't like repairing or modifying new items. I felt that for the price paid, it shouldn't have needed any modification to be effective at holding idler shafts straight and in place. If the idler collar had the second set screw, I'd likely change my opinion on these.
It does seem as though the idler systems have been redesigned since mine were built, so I now have no reason to believe there will be any more such problems.

Thanks very much Guido for your thoughts.

Last edited by Jeff489; 02-24-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 AM
Anthony James

Dear All

Being new to the hobby I checked out various idler systems for my Tamiya King Tiger and settled on the Henntec from ETO Armor. I fitted it correctly and with the plastic tracks it worked OK, I then fitted Metal Tracks and it it totally lost it. I thought that there were too many tracks links but upon examination the idler arm was bent foward, the grub screw holding it was usless and was hard to unscrew as it semed that the thread was done, it could not be screwed up any tighter and did not stand up to the metal tracks, so what a waste of money. I shall replace it with the Schumo drums that I now know will work. After I bought I was told about this and now it has proved correct, so IMO dont buy this!!

Regards

Anthony
Old 06-24-2015, 04:02 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony James
Dear All

Being new to the hobby I checked out various idler systems for my Tamiya King Tiger and settled on the Henntec from ETO Armor. I fitted it correctly and with the plastic tracks it worked OK, I then fitted Metal Tracks and it it totally lost it. I thought that there were too many tracks links but upon examination the idler arm was bent foward, the grub screw holding it was usless and was hard to unscrew as it semed that the thread was done, it could not be screwed up any tighter and did not stand up to the metal tracks, so what a waste of money. I shall replace it with the Schumo drums that I now know will work. After I bought I was told about this and now it has proved correct, so IMO dont buy this!!

Regards

Anthony
If you need to tighten the screws more replace the grub screws with cap head Allen bolts. You can get masses more torque and your arms will be solid as a rock
Old 06-24-2015, 04:09 AM
Anthony James

Hi Tom

thanks for the quick reply. OK I can do what you have said, but what is a cap head Allen bolt, and where do I get them? I am in Australia but that should not be a problem.

Regards

Anthony
Old 06-24-2015, 04:13 AM
Anthony James

Ok so i just googled it and I see what you mean, but what size and where would I get them

Regards

Anthony
Old 06-24-2015, 04:49 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Any hardware store should have them, if you email guido Henn he should be able to tell you the diameter! Or a mk1 ruler might work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.