Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

JT - How much impact on IR battles.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

JT - How much impact on IR battles.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 11:35 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YHR
On another note.

With modern armor hitting the field what does one think the setting on these tanks should be. They should be able to fire fast but have armor like a heavy

I wouldn't mind hearing some thoughts on what the setting for these should be.
For the most part I think we just treat them as heavy WWII AFV's. Not until we see a great number more fielded do we really need to do much. Once more show up I'm guessing we'll do an era system pre/post 1950 or something. Almost impossible to accurately get them on the same field as the WWII stuff but at the same time you really don't want any kind of class system in a hobby where participants have to wait on the sideline. We only see the occasional T-55 and Leo2 for now but that will probably change with the M1 released and Chally on the way. I don't know that's already got me scratching my head. Gonna need a couple brainstorming sessions around the pool with some cold ones for that.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

The RCACN charts had post war scenario classifications already, so you should be good to go - I recall there were a few little quirks like the Pershing dropping to medium in a post war battle, but other than that most of the stuff you are likely to see any time soon was already covered?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by YHR
On another note.

With modern armor hitting the field what does one think the setting on these tanks should be. They should be able to fire fast but have armor like a heavy

I wouldn't mind hearing some thoughts on what the setting for these should be.
To be honest I'm not sure a modern tank does actually fire any faster? Most of the western MBT's still have manual loading, and while some have the ability to offer up the gunners selected round from the ready to use stowage in the turret bustle (to save the loader having to stop to check they have picked up the correct one), the loader still has to physically heave it into the breach - and those modern rounds are a good deal bigger than the ww2 stuff.. Loader fatigue is still going to be the limiting factor of the tank's rate of fire.

Target acquisition and ability to hit first time are much improved these days, but that's kind of hard to simulate those differences in the game when the tank commander is essentially fighting from a spotter plane perspective anyway...
Old 03-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

New JT pictures I figured I would share They will come in these two color schemes and will be available in either airsoft OR infrared.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1112200781.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2082786   Click image for larger version

Name:	1112200784.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	2082787  
Old 03-24-2015, 05:28 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the contrary, I found that the Clarke tk22 will still accept a hit when shot at and shooting at the same time. I tested it Sunday Morning against a Tamiya system.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:26 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes buit i think it is the Tamiya system that will not take a hit when firing.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Rustytrax

Correct, the Clarke gets the hit and the Tammy does not.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:13 PM
sergeantseabass

Hey dan how does the BARC4 react to this does it take a hit in that space as well or does it not like the tamiya. I couldn't get my bulldog up in time to find out at Danville. I would be curious to hear how all the aftermarket boards react to this not just the BARC but since youare the SME on BARC and I have one ssemed like a good question.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:19 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The BARC series operates exactly like Tamiya. So yes it does what the Tamiya system does. For the one second that the IR pulses your tank will not take a hit. Chances of using this as a defense though, are limited and unlikely to be effective. By chance it might save your ass, once or twice,
Old 03-25-2015, 06:02 AM
TheBennyB

As I've said before, I acutally use the one second pulse all the time to maneuver without taking a hit. This one second of invulnerability is also the basis of the "lag shot"
Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Is a "lag shot" the same thing as a "fan shot"?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 AM
Rustytrax

Nope. fan is just that. Lag is lag. IE you get hit after the flash goes off and the sound. Sometimes seemingly while moving behind cover. Or I shoot from behind cover and pop out a split second later and you get hit.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Got it. So a lag shot is more of a delayed hit, where a fan shot is to an attempt to score hits on multiple tanks with a single shot.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:11 AM
Martellus

I would say that not necessarily, like starting to round a corner and firing before you even get a bead on a single tank, and then reversing once you complete it and have the hit.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:16 AM
TheBennyB

You pretty much got it Gary. Like Troy said, the "fan or sweep" shot is the attempt to hit multiple targets at once with the full second pulse. Usually done by moving the lower hull left or right during firing. The lag shot is done after your opponent has fired first and you fire a split second after. You have to watch the flash unit, not listen for cannon sound or recoil movement or you're too late. Essentially you've become invulnerable to his fire by firing a split second after but since he fired first his one second window of invulnerabillty stops and will register the end of your pulse. The flash unit lights a split second before the IR
bulb lights. Not a big fan of this shot as I feel it penalizes initiative, but had to learn it to survive the days of competition battles and still use it on other vets.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Rustytrax

Fought this past weekend and the TWO JTs had IFA and SPEED. WTH!! It was stupid. A JT actually ran down my pershing that had 3 hits and used its speed to easily pivot to avoid getting hit.

I later learned the JT had 2 5000mh batteries. This explains the speed because the amps were reducing voltage drop from those motors. Later we played with the JTs with TFA. This made soooo much difference, even with the speed they weren't juggernaughts.

I love the the JT. However it must never be faster than a pershing or panther. I'd even try it with IFA and slowed down to realistic speed. Even then 1 per side. Realistic speed makes them the pillboxes they were.

Last edited by Rustytrax; 04-26-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Rustytrax

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
You pretty much got it Gary. Like Troy said, the "fan or sweep" shot is the attempt to hit multiple targets at once with the full second pulse. Usually done by moving the lower hull left or right during firing. The lag shot is done after your opponent has fired first and you fire a split second after. You have to watch the flash unit, not listen for cannon sound or recoil movement or you're too late. Essentially you've become invulnerable to his fire by firing a split second after but since he fired first his one second window of invulnerabillty stops and will register the end of your pulse. The flash unit lights a split second before the IR
bulb lights. Not a big fan of this shot as I feel it penalizes initiative, but had to learn it to survive the days of competition battles and still use it on other vets.
My flash burnt out on my TD this wekend and I noticed that the hit precentage went up drastically. Not knowing when someone has fired really showed how much people use that flash as a signal to parry the shot with the 1 sec of invunerability. From a spectator standpoint a flash is really needed to understand whats going on.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:40 PM
TheBennyB

Yea, flash unit failures are popping up more. For ACE events if your flash is burnt out you need recoil as a visual reference that your firing. Did anyone do speed check or any kind of inspections at the last event?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
Fought this past weekend and the TWO JTs had IFA and SPEED. WTH!! It was stupid. A JT actually ran down my pershing that had 3 hits and used its speed to easily pivot to avoid getting hit.

I later learned the JT had 2 5000mh batteries. This explains the speed because the amps were over clocking those motors. Later we played with the JTs with TFA. This made soooo much difference, even with the speed they weren't juggernaughts..
What makes a tank faster are not the 5.000 mah, but the voltage. With more amps battey you just run longer, but with more voltage you run faster.

Of course there could be more tricks like brusheless motors and things like that...
Old 04-26-2017, 05:42 AM
Rustytrax

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Yea, flash unit failures are popping up more. For ACE events if your flash is burnt out you need recoil as a visual reference that your firing. Did anyone do speed check or any kind of inspections at the last event?
\

No inspections at all.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:48 AM
Rustytrax

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
What makes a tank faster are not the 5.000 mah, but the voltage. With more amps battey you just run longer, but with more voltage you run faster.

Of course there could be more tricks like brusheless motors and things like that...
That isn't as cut and dry as you think. Those twin 5000s add up to 10 amps vs 5. 7.4v x 5amps = 37 watts VS 7.4v x 10amps = 74 watts.

The result is obvious. Much like a 60 watt bulb compared to a 120. Both are the same voltage but the power is much greater on the 120.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:31 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jagdtigers and IFA TDs have been active IR battlers in the California/Arizona clubs since 2006. Not really a novelty out here any more. Tactics evolved to deal with them. In practice, one is worth about 2 heavy tanks.

FYI, we have found that the best IFA tanks are the Stug 3s. They shoot every 3 seconds are are real gunslingers. In fact, light ANYTHING is probably the most deadly IR tank on the battlefield, but the light IFAs are particularly deadly.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:43 AM
Rustytrax

Jeff, are you using TFA on anything? Also are you regulating the speed?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Jeff489
Jagdtigers and IFA TDs have been active IR battlers in the California/Arizona clubs since 2006. Not really a novelty out here any more. Tactics evolved to deal with them. In practice, one is worth about 2 heavy tanks.

FYI, we have found that the best IFA tanks are the Stug 3s. They shoot every 3 seconds are are real gunslingers. In fact, light ANYTHING is probably the most deadly IR tank on the battlefield, but the light IFAs are particularly deadly.
Man, an IFA tank that's set to light and top speed of a PZIII. Why would you run anything else? Little far fetched for a light being IFA, seems a bit contradictory?...fun as hell though I'm sure. Yea, the IFA stuff has been come and go at the museum since around then too Jeff. Just not real popular.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 04-26-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:23 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
That isn't as cut and dry as you think. Those twin 5000s add up to 10 amps vs 5. 7.4v x 5amps = 37 watts VS 7.4v x 10amps = 74 watts.

The result is obvious. Much like a 60 watt bulb compared to a 120. Both are the same voltage but the power is much greater on the 120.
First of all I must say Im no electronics expert, but I've done a lot of experiments. I have 7.4V 800mah batterys for another gadjets, and when fitted in my tank the speed is exactly the same as when using 7.4v 6000 mah batteries. When using lipo batteries you must look at the C rate, which is the discharge rate. That's where it says how faster can that battery discharge.

Said that, if you use a 3cell lipo (11volts) the tank will go way faster, even if you use a 3s battery with 500 mah will go way faster than a 2s battery with 8000 mah.

Anyway I´ve just made a quick test at home. I wired two 6.000 mah batterys together (that makes 12000 mah! I could run my tank for days), and again, the speed is the same as with my small 800 mah battery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.