Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

PC Tank Simulators/Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:58 AM
cicerokid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC Tank Simulators/Games

Are there any games or simulators you would recommend for a newbie to RC tanks? Looked at "world of tanks" but it took an awful lot of storage and looked kinda tricky for a newbie.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Rustytrax

WOT isn't tricky. It does have a large install though.

I think warthunder now has tanks
Old 03-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

WoT is* and isn't* tricky. Once you get the vision mechanics, and armor angling down it's really just a basic shooter with standard tank tactics. Tanks have hit points and can take module damage(Tracks, gun, engine, ammo, crew), and modules can be repaired mid battle with a consumable. I can give you the pointers you'll need that will save you a lot of headache if you want to give it a try.

War Thunder is another one. It's a bit different since the tanks don't have hit points and need to be module'd to death. No repair kits.

Armored Warfare is the new one that's in beta testing now. It features modern tanks with the gameplay of WoT.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:37 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another is Red orchestra. I run it through Steam. It will be a big download though.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM
TheBennyB

Wot is your best bet to hop in and play instantly though.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:27 PM
gregorygso

If you have an iPad, WoT Blitz is a good choice. It is a shorter-time based game, which run about 5 minutes per game. But be aware it has 'in app' purchases (not required to play.)

Richard
Old 03-18-2015, 02:27 PM
bhop73

I'm still bummed WOT doesn't have a mac version.. I've wanted to play it since I first heard about it all those years ago, but I have no plans to buy a PC just to play one game.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:53 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Another is Red orchestra. I run it through Steam. It will be a big download though.
Is RO still around? I liked it way more than wot, but could never find a server that had any gamers left

Last edited by YHR; 03-19-2015 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:36 PM
dabigboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's one I enjoyed back in the day:

http://www.totalsims.com/

They have three sims: Warbirds (WWII aerial combat), Dawn of Aces (WWI), and Armored Assault (WWII tank combat). I was thinking they had rolled them all into one game but it appears they are still separate....Armored Assault may not be super realistic, but it's a LOT of fun, plus there are a few aircraft available which makes it all the more interesting. Conversely, IIRC, Warbirds has a few tanks and ground vehicles available, so there is some overlap.

There are offline versions of the games, but they are intended for online use and a paid account. I haven't played in years, too busy with RC planes and full-scale flight simulators ( http://sabrelinersim.com ).

Matt
Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

WOT takes a while to earn any good tanks. I have the Tiger I, Panther II, Lowe, Wespe and one more arty. Basically Im on the treadmill now as it takes a bazillion points to earn the King Tiger which is next on my list.
My tanks are maxed out and the crews are pretty well trained by now but theres way more to go.
Now that there are some crazy high power tanks above my level 9 tanks its very hard to take them out and win. The 88 on the Tiger was a great gun in reality but in the game its just OK. The Panther is awesome in some respects but weak in armor. Reload times are good and the gun is too. Great for scouting and run and gun but not good to go head to head.
Arty is fun but reload times are horrible so it takes patience and timing.
I bought the Loewe because at the time it was one of the big boys now its surpased by higher level tanks. Its great for just earning credits and experience and thats why I bought it.

Tunisian Tiger

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 03-18-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:06 AM
Cruiser133

WoT is easy to learn and hard to master. I have been playing for about a year and a half. I have about 10 tier 10 tanks and should have number 11 today or tomorrow. I think it is one of the best tank games out there if you like multiplayer. Give it a try and do yourself a favor and stay in tier 1 until you get the basics down. Many make the mistake of rushing up the tiers and get massacred when they hit the better players and powerful tanks at the higher tiers.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:41 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by YHR
Is RO still around? I liked it way more then wot, but could never find a server that had any gamers left
Believe RO2 is out now. Think it's called Hero's of Stalingrad and is more infantry based now. I haven't fired up RO on steam in months so not sure if its still
having players or not.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:37 AM
Panther G

Originally Posted by YHR
Is RO still around? I liked it way more than wot, but could never find a server that had any gamers left
Yes it is Dan but from what I can see not many people playing it anymore. The Darkest hour mod is still fairly popular though.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:54 PM
LosTxSouL94

War Thunder is good if you want more simulation as you can poke your head out and get instantly killed through ammo rack, fuel tank hits and your crew being taken out at once.

WoT is arcady in terms of gameplay. But it still has a deep system for bouncing shots, angling your armour, going hull down, spotting, scouting and camo ratings.

Red Orchestra 2 has tanks and you can switch between the crew if you're the only one driving. It's tough, but it's fun. You can turn out as the commander and get sniped from infantry if it's a combined arms match.

ARMA 2 and 3 has tanks, but it's more RP and infantry based. But there are mods for WW2 gameplay.

There's one where you are in a Tiger or T-34 but I can't remember the name.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by LosTxSouL94
War Thunder is good if you want more simulation as you can poke your head out and get instantly killed through ammo rack, fuel tank hits and your crew being taken out at once.
WoT also has this. If you ammo rack a tank, the turret will fly off and can damage other tanks if it lands on them. There is also a nice effect of multiple shells cooking off at different times.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:59 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by Panther G
Yes it is Dan but from what I can see not many people playing it anymore. The Darkest hour mod is still fairly popular though.
I used to play this all the time. I liked it way more then the arcade style WOT, and the class system it uses. You need to spend so much time on the game to advance through the tiers..
Old 03-19-2015, 04:21 PM
Panther G

Yeah i really don't like the up classing type of games way too much time spent just trying to get into a decent tank. I was just playing Darkest Hour and the Real Panzer server still gets pretty busy. Same crowd of guys on there playing so I'm sure you've seen some of them before Dan. I still like taht game. it is fun to play and that server has a lot more tanks than the others because they where all custom rendered.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:38 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Tanki online is a fun game if you are not hung up with historical accuracy.

http://tankionline.com/en/
Old 03-19-2015, 05:14 PM
cicerokid

OK--after advice I signed up on WOT. Took hours to get everything loaded. Played for first time today. Lots of fun and lots to learn. A few basic pointers would be appreciated. Should I attack or hand back? Should I go with light or med tanks? Any tips appreciated.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 PM
Lord Haw-Haw

Wink

Any "sim" will take time.

Here are my favs, none have the latest greatest graphics (positive is no need for $500+ gpu's), but I believe the context makes up for it:

Really old (in game years) but still going strong Panzer Elite:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...6SpLM35WiaTCMh
Old too, Steel Fury is my favourite for WW2:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UjoPRpXJIqYF_h
......the realism can be pretty rough, started a mission in a T-34 '42, "road march phase" crossing some ruff terrain and threw a track (too fast of a turn), didn't even make it to the battle location.
These are still active: are still available for purchase (cheap) and a pretty good support/mod community.

Modern: Steel Beast Pro, I don't even have 10hrs seat time even though it was the most expensive game I ever bought (twice) - I don't care that much for modern warfare/weapons for some reason.

Of course you wouldn't want 100% accuracy, for every hour you play you've got around 10hrs maintenance before you can play again!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:02 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by Panther G
Yeah i really don't like the up classing type of games way too much time spent just trying to get into a decent tank. I was just playing Darkest Hour and the Real Panzer server still gets pretty busy. Same crowd of guys on there playing so I'm sure you've seen some of them before Dan. I still like taht game. it is fun to play and that server has a lot more tanks than the others because they where all custom rendered.
It has been awhile. I will have to try this again, as I really used to enjoy that game.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:45 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by cicerokid
OK--after advice I signed up on WOT. Took hours to get everything loaded. Played for first time today. Lots of fun and lots to learn. A few basic pointers would be appreciated. Should I attack or hand back? Should I go with light or med tanks? Any tips appreciated.
it depends on what tank line you choose. I do not recommend light tanks past tier 3, as they get scout match making. That means your little t4 tank will see t7 matches. I suggest going down either a medium or heavy line.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:47 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

WoT is addictive, so be aware There is also a smartphone app to pair with it. War Thunder I find myself playing a bit more as I can fly or go tanking at will. It is nice to dog fight but also pick off tanks (if you can) as well. Being on the other side of this in the tanks is awesome. Don't get me wrong I still like WoT, but WT is pretty nice too.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Martellus

I used to play wot all the time but at this point I have moved to WT for various reasons. They both have their appeal.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:07 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cicerokid
Welcome to RCU and WOT

Advise:
1. Find out what your playing style is, and find the tank type and tier that best suits (this may take some play time to understand)

2. For new players, watch how others battle and where the key areas of attack/defense are on the maps

3. Inexperienced players tend to be hang back too much (too late to be effective) or be too aggressive (die early).

4. Experienced players adjust constantly with the tide of battle, sometimes attacking, sometimes retreating.

5. Try to pair with or go with a group of tanks, even heavy tanks need support, going solo is a death wish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.