Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Who would like lathe-turned core-parts for V1 Doodlebugs & V2 rockets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Who would like lathe-turned core-parts for V1 Doodlebugs & V2 rockets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:57 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who would like lathe-turned core-parts for V1 Doodlebugs & V2 rockets?

No, I'm not kidding...

I bumped into a wordworker at the mall tthis afternoon, and he is a wood-worker who makes many lathe-turned items. His brother helped restore the Lancaster at CFB Trenton... so he's got an interest himself.

I asked about getting the core parts (V1 body and pulse-jet tube, and V2 rocket body (probably in 2-3 parts for ease of transport) and he said he might be willing to make the first prototype free, so we can see if we want to buy 'em at almost-cost.

This is not the bat-maker I foun d years ago, but another guy. I'd just received my Ultimate Soldier XD figs from TTomas, and opened the box right there for him to see them. He was impressed by their detailing and poseability.

He's willing to start on the V1 parts soon as I can send him the Jetex plans that I was given, and they ARE precise 1/16 ones. The V2 will be after this, and will be based on either the Imex 'see-thru' V2 polycarbonate kit, or the Estes Maxi-Brute kit, which is damned close... or an amalgam of the two (I have ~both) The only parts one might need to make are the wings and motor mount for the V1 (easily enough made from the plans) and the tail-fins for the V2 (I could try to cast 'em - they are a detailed styrene two-part item - or send a fin to one of you to do them up.

So... How many of tyou are interested in the idea, and if so, in which of the partial or complete kits? I'd like to be able to tell him we have a dozen of each for starters. Then again, maybe Karen would be able to sell them thru the PX RC section... or one of the small-scale distributors... like Imex-Eric?

WhiteWolf (too damned pumped to sleep *sigh*)
Old 03-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

a V2 rocket to 1/16 scale would be around 34 inches tall
Old 03-19-2015, 01:21 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A V2 in 1/16 scale will be just under 1 meter tall and turned from wood will be quite heavy and as they sit on the tail fins would require fins strong enough to take the weight, these have never been that popular as models so I would have thought that you would struggle to obtain 12 persons who would want one, the other question is what sort of price would these part complete models be are you thinking 50-100€uros each it would be a shroud idea to have the information so the chaps on the forum can make a decision.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:33 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

Guys...

He canna lathe balsa, is too soft... but he can use the lightest wood he can get his hands on. Hel liked my 'thinned epoxy method of sealing the wood, as opposed to fibreglass or shellac or whatever.

Two, for the V2 it would be multi-part, so it' could be hollowed out by a buyer I he wished... mebbe I can discuss a way for the maker to do it

Three... He'd be willing to make them, and sell them, at almost cost... the thought of doing it, and being respobnsible for having done it, is what is making him do it, NOT profit.

As for V2 support - I have the detailed fins from both kits, and I thought that an aluminum-insert with detailed veneer exterior would be sturdy enough, yes? If I could get one of the local aircraft guys interested, I might be able to get the V1 wings cut from foam - and mebbe the pulsejet mast too, so the buyer only has to pin the whole thing together, and detail it.

If this ends up me having a few made, and then selling those, to make a few more, etc... so be it... but I want about 3 V1's personally, and a V2 or perhaps 2, depending on how we get it designed/made (I have the Imex & Estes kits besides... but might sell them off if these are nice enough)

I'm disappointed in the discussion about the idea though... ~two~ people... damn... and I thought wanting a Fieseler Storch kit to go with my J-3 / L4 Piper Cub balsa kit was dreaming...

WhiteWolf...

" You don't want in this thing, you don't get in this thing. I cut you out of everything. I don't need you... Schmuck! "
Old 03-25-2015, 01:04 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Maybe the fact that this is a rocket proposal posted in a tank forum has something to do with it? You might probably find more interest from the model rocketry guys though.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:06 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are balsa Storch kits out there as well as tons of plans to build your own, no need to dream I have 2 kits plus sets of plans for some serious flying models. Then there's that $6000 aluminum kit out there too.

I think the lack of interest is in the material. It's not going to look great as a static and it's certainly not going to fly. Plus there's some great flying V2 rocket kits as well as static of both Vs. and you're asking people to commit to something unseen. How is anyone supposed to know what the outcome will be?

Besides the IMEX offering, yeah there's little in 1/16 Vs. But look around, there's little of anything in 1/16. If it was more popular, there would be more available and I bet the IMEX kit would still be in production.

If you really think there's a market for it, have him lathe you one of each, then seal, detail and use it as a master to make either a resin kit or resin/vacu-form styrene mix and sell 'em.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

make it easy on yourselves...lol

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...84607526,d.cWc
Old 03-26-2015, 03:30 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbrushler

I've seen that Polecat kit before and I like it! I used to fly rockets in the 70s. I discovered E and F class engines, all that were available here in sunny California at the time. It's gone
way beyond that now of course. Even though I doubt I'd ever fly it It would be nice knowing it could. Better option as a diorama artifact than the old Imex kit or a solid wooden rolling pin
option...

Jerry
Old 04-23-2015, 04:37 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

Guys... I'm sadly having trouble finding my V1 plans from Mr. Crossley. I may have to have the ones from the balsa Jetex kit scanned/copied and sent to my woodworker.

As for details - its ~diorama~ material, like those static 21st Century aircraft/tanks/etc., & assorted model vehicles (Minicraft etc.), etc. I may send one of each down to Karen at the AAF as a donation, and to show them off.

As for the kits: the source for his V2 lathe-work will be an un-cut Imex kit, and a un-flown Estes Maxi-Brute series V2 - as close to 1/16 as any other flying V2 rocket kit. Got less than that $120 for a Polecat invested in the V1 & ~pair of V2's. Gonna make a nice trailer-load for my transports.

If he is making 'em at materials cost, I may just fund a half dozen lout of my own pocket to start, and see what costs for materials and shipment would entail. Anyone have the ability to dupe them if I can supply 'em? If I dun get enough interest here, there is always eBay... *shrug*

WhiteWolf
- still dragging a bit due to late winter weather (overcast & cool)