Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Hobby Grade Death Match! TK22 vs. IBU2! (A Squad Video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hobby Grade Death Match! TK22 vs. IBU2! (A Squad Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 04:09 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks, Bill, you must have found that video within minutes of posting. Talk about being on top of your game!

Philip, the 75% thing is in the Clark board, and that's running on the Mato TX (rebranded flysky) and it does have two extra channels but they just have toggles. The good radio is the 9X, but all the functions you mention, lights, MG, etc, can already be controlled by the IBU2 so there's really no need for the extra channels. I will use one of the pots for my volume gadget idea, and that leaves 3 more if I want to do anything like opening hatches or rotating TC.

I'm pretty sure the airsoft in the PIII (clark board) is good to go after rewiring it according to what I could find online (before Erik made his video so I did it the hard way) but when I first hooked it up it was running the airsoft unit backwards so now it won't fire. I think the seal may be cocked, but I won't know for sure til I get in there. The other thing that's worrying me is that you're supposed to be able to test cannon sound through the trigger switch port by jumping but that's not working. But, I won't get excited about any of that til I get the airsoft unit repaired or swapped, whichever it takes. One cool thing a bout "gunsmithing" airsoft units is that you can test them just by touching a common 9 volt battery to the leads to make it fire. That makes repairs a lot easier for me. It's also kinda cool to hold a turret in your hand and shoot it like a pistol.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:10 PM
sergeantseabass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. I'm sure you'll figure it out. As far as the video goes I just throw youtube up on my tv and just let it start playing through my subscriptions as background noise someitmes. got lucky on that one. When I hear Erik talking i'll look up to see what it is and sure enough a how to on airsoft for the clark. And i said self don't you know someon who just the other day was having this very issue. and I said yes. Obvioously there was only one thing do to short of shouting it from the mountains. Post it up

Shame it got you to late. ooh well.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Max-U52

Thanks, Bill, it's good to know my fellow tankers are lookin' out. As soon as I saw the video and he held up that paper with the diagram I knew I was OK and I just have a problem with the unit. My daughter board is wired exactly the same as the diagram. So now I'll get back to work on it!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:04 PM
Max-U52

I'll do a more complete update tomorrow or Saturday. I discovered through trial and error one piece of info that would have been very to handy to have when I started - the joystick turns the airsoft motor on, but it's the trigger switch that turns it off. More later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb4eIKgG4Cg
Old 03-27-2015, 01:00 PM
sergeantseabass

Awesome. i glad you airsoft smithing paid off and you got her shooting again. Looking good Gary.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:08 PM
olegnA

Originally Posted by YHR
If RCTA can add Tamiya compatible IR to the ASP board then this might be work a look as well, but kind of more in line with the IBU2 and El mod.
Any idea when it will hit the market?
Old 03-27-2015, 02:20 PM
sergeantseabass

Nope . But all reports indicate soon. What time soon is I don't know Mickey doesn't have soon on his watch face
Old 03-27-2015, 02:55 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Philip, the 75% thing is in the Clark board, and that's running on the Mato TX (rebranded flysky) and it does have two extra channels but they just have toggles. The good radio is the 9X, but all the functions you mention, lights, MG, etc, can already be controlled by the IBU2 so there's really no need for the extra channels. I will use one of the pots for my volume gadget idea, and that leaves 3 more if I want to do anything like opening hatches or rotating TC.
So, then using the 9X radio and the IBU2, can you control the lights, smoker, and guns using the other knobs or levers? Or, do you have to use the main two sticks that are also used for driving?
Old 03-27-2015, 03:37 PM
Max-U52

Everything works off the two joysticks, so any four channel radio will run the IBU2 or the Clark. I like that. The right stick is strictly driving, and the left has all other functions. The 6ch TX from HK has two pots and I'll use one of those for my servo controlled volume switch. Not to mention it's under $30 per tank for its own separate hobby grade TX. The sad part is I'm using nowhere near the full potential of the 9X TX. If Kevin ever gets the Asp up for sale I'll most likely put one of those on the 9X, along with my IR battle tank. The plan is for two tanks to be on the 9X, with every other tank having a 6ch TX. So eventually I'll have a whole bunch of stock Taigen electronics packages up for sale. I think half price would be fair, what do you think, Philip? I remember you have a lot of tanks running on that package. Aside from the two hobby grade tanks all mine run on that same package. I was just telling Erik today that if the stock package had speed control for turret rotation and decent sound, and maybe volume control and smoke on/off like the HL 2.4, I wouldn't see any reason to ever change it for any of my airsoft tanks.

To go back to the Asp for a second, I don't know if I'm a typical tanker or not, but I live kind of far away to participate in a lot of events, so of my 16 tanks, only 3 of them are IR. The Asp is made for airsoft, but I think it's recommended you have at least 7 channels. I really want all my tanks to have a separate TX, so we'll have to see how that plays out. The 9X, even at the best sale price, is still double the cost of the 6ch flysky, whatever name it wears. The Mato is $39, but put the HK name on it and it's under $30. The best I've seen on a 9X is $53 and that was without the module. The point is, if the Asp can run on the 6ch it's much more likely I'll purchase more than one. If not I'll be sticking to the clark and the IBU2, and slowly putting the tanks on good stuff one at a time. It might take a year or two to get them all outfitted, but it will be worth the wait. By then I should have the village pretty far along. I can't wait for it to dry out, since I started a whole new section last fall and it's time to make like a Roman and start buildin' roads!
Old 03-27-2015, 04:06 PM
philipat

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I want easy to drive in my electronics. Right now, Taigen has that, even with its warts. The kids should be able to pick it up and drive it with minimal learning. Half price would be a fair offer. I stay airsoft. I like shooting stuff.

I'll look into the ASP and see what it has to offer.

For Taigen: I'd recommend the following tweaks and then I probably wouldn't even care about other electronics. Turning stuff like lights, speakers (sound) and smokers on/off from the transmitter is cool, but not necessary in my book. The necessary would be:

Right stick: driving...forward, reverse, turn...all proportional (which it has)
Left stick: turret controls - right/left turn the turret (which it has)...proportional turning (doesn't have)
gun elevation with separate up and down (doesn't have)

Other toggles: engine start (has); machine gun firing (has) while turret turns (doesn't have); main gun firing

Other stuff: reprogrammable sound from the computer (micro SD, direct USB, whatever) (doesn't have); proportional board for the smoker (doesn't have); tail light plug (has...but prefer same size as other two-pin plugs)

Like I said, any other controls from the transmitter are icing on the cake.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Max-U52

This is the last video for the airsoft PIII with the clark TK22. The second and third videos are a small change to the Tiger with the IBU2 and then the results. Put in the twin speakers that came with the mato/clark package. They sound good but they've only got about half the volume of the stock Taigen. I still need a speaker for this tank. There will be one more video on the Tiger when I install the Tamiya Apple and a better IR emitter. Still not sure if I should use the ones I have (890nm) or get the 940nm. I also want to pick up an IR target for testing, and hopefully I will have found a speaker by then. The last two minutes of the third video show the AA Bulldog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUnHra8etyA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AwopxdDv8Q https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG_xwpZOxzo

Last edited by Max-U52; 03-28-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:14 PM
kizwan

Hey Gary,

It seems a lot of people love Visaton 8 ohm speakers (model/version is varied though, e.g. XL or FR8 model). Definitely you need to build a box for them to get good sound.

I have 4 ohm portable speaker (not Visaton) that I tried & it was a lot better than HL speaker. I just need to DIY smaller box to fit it inside the tank.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150329_121002-CROPPED-40PERC.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	2084852  

Last edited by kizwan; 03-28-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:46 AM
Max-U52

I think for now the Taigen speaker will do the job. I'm more interested in figuring out what's up with the machine gun LED. When it gets bright it doesn't flash, and when it flashes it's really weak. Hmmmm
Old 03-29-2015, 05:47 AM
YHR

Decent speakers and an amp will make a noticeable improvement on the sound quality and volume I gave up on smokers so I use that space for more speaker. Also you will see people use a step up power regulator that will allow you to feed 12 volts to an amp and when you do this the sound becomes much richer.

That IBU2 tiger sound file is a good one though. Hats off to who ever programmed that. With the file structure type used that is the smoothest transitioning sounding file I have heard out of an IBU2 or El Mod.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:39 AM
sergeantseabass

That Tiger is sounding real good. Dan has a point with the amp. I bought a 15w amp from him. It has some nice features, adustable volume right on the amp, direct hookup to the battery, and dual outputs. I have it hooked up in the Bulldog. it gets loud. I can't even turn it up all the way with the speakers that are attached to it. But I also just have a pair of speakers that I liberated from on old gaming laptop. I do have a vistron speaker taht I plan to put in. One i do that I should be able to make that thing scream. Might be worth checking out and the board is small doesn't take up much room at all.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:04 AM
Max-U52

We've got a ton of scrap "boom boxes" at work and some of them have some pretty small speakers. I assume they're full range, since there's usually just two in each radio. Think those would be worth investigating?
Old 03-29-2015, 05:35 PM
olegnA

[QUOTE=Max-U52;12012450]I think for now the Taigen speaker will do the job. I'm more interested in figuring out what's up with the machine gun LED. When it gets bright it doesn't flash, and when it flashes it's really weak. Hmmmm[/

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv7790265529left"]I bought these speakers:
VISATON FRS7-4 2.5" FULL-RANGE SPEAKER 4 OHM
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv7790265529left"]AURASOUND NS2X3-184-4A 2"X3" EXTENDED RANGE DRIVER 4 OHM

and tried them both on T-34. But it seems that the stock Taigen speaker sounds off a bit better than them. Maybe it has something to do with the crappy DIY speaker enclosure I made.

I have the same issue with the machine gun LEDs on both boards.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by olegnA
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv7790265529left"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv7790265529left"] I have the same issue with the machine gun LEDs on both boards.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Sounds like I need to ask Ian about that. I'm glad you told me before I went through the trouble of swapping in the new MG. I want to put that in the Jagdpanther anyway.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 AM
olegnA

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Sounds like I need to ask Ian about that. I'm glad you told me before I went through the trouble of swapping in the new MG. I want to put that in the Jagdpanther anyway.
To be honest - I did not know about this until you brought it out in you videos/post. Could you please kindly let us know your findings about this?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:50 AM
Max-U52

Of course I'll let you know what Ian has to say, Angelo. Can you make a video of yours? Knowing it's happening to two different customers in three different tanks should verify that the problem is in the board.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 AM
olegnA

Here it is, Gary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReegbVhu1gY T-34: 0:05
Tiger: 0:20 & 0:25