Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Hobby Grade Death Match! TK22 vs. IBU2! (A Squad Video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hobby Grade Death Match! TK22 vs. IBU2! (A Squad Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Hobby Grade Death Match! TK22 vs. IBU2! (A Squad Video)

So while I was wishin' I was in Danville this weekend I thought I'd keep myself busy. The first video is the insides of the tanks so you can see the layout, the second is the two tanks compared, and the third is a little segment on turret functions and start up differences.

The Clark is still not completely installed, I'm having a little trouble with the airsoft unit. I programmed it for airsoft, but by the time I got everything wired properly the airsoft motor had run backwards several times and now I have issues with the airsoft unit itself. No biggie, I just need to go back into the turret and figure out what's what. I've changed and repaired so many airsoft units I can almost do it blindfolded. If I have to I have a few spare airsoft units so I can just totally swap it out if that's what it takes, so there will be follow up videos later once all that is sorted out. I also still have to mount the Tamiya Apple in the Tiger with the IBU2 (after I buy one, of course) and I'll also follow up for that, as well as anything else you guys might want to see. One thing I should've done that I'll get to in the follow up is a side by side comparison of volume. I already know the IBU2 is much louder (both boards currently use the same TG speaker), but I'm still interested to see how that comes across on video.

Also, for pretty much all future installations of both boards (I plan to use more of both) I plan to use the Hobby King re-branded flysky 6ch TX, and those have pots so I'll be able to see about my little volume control idea and see if it's practical. I already know it won't be a unit I can sell, but it might be something other guys will want to do for themselves. Pretty simple idea, really, a servo controlled volume switch that will make use of one of the extra channels, that's why the 6 ch TX instead of just the 4 needed to run the boards. More on that later.

You should definitely click on full screen instead of just this tiny window in the thread. I found that makes a much bigger difference than I thought it would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1anzcmQ9DpY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtlkhK0z_2c https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFriIzK9rME

Last edited by Max-U52; 03-22-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:15 PM
olegnA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great videos, Gary.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:32 PM
sergeantseabass

very nice. I think in the long run your gonna like the IBU2 better. It sounds like it preforms more like you want it to compared to the Clark.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:52 PM
olegnA

Originally Posted by sergeantseabass
very nice. I think in the long run your gonna like the IBU2 better. It sounds like it preforms more like you want it to compared to the Clark.
I agree.

Furthermore, If you don't like the way your tank makes sounds - you can change them. Ian (RC Tank Electronics) was kind enough to produce a certain squeaking sound for my T-34.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:33 PM
scottlarson925
My Feedback: (2)

Nice job Max!! Very well done indeed. Gives guys a real understanding of the main differences between the two boards. I've just recently pulled the trigger on the Clark board, but I was strongly considering the IBU2, price was the determining factor. Now, weather those little puppies! Nice tanks but they are just too nice...It took me ages to "weather" my ODC and weather my King Tiger; truth is, I hated it at first. I like things neat and clean so it was truely counterintuitive. Now I love it, can't wait to get the Clark board in it...Thanks again for the videos. Still not sure what that tune was from though, Pulp Fiction maybe??????
Old 03-22-2015, 07:35 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that was good unbiased review. I have come to the same conclusions as you have with the units I have.

You can add a Benedini to a Clark board and get the programmable sounds, but that will add another $140 to the total cost.

Because you are not into IR, that part of this comparision is not covered. I think you will find that the Clark board has the most versatile and adaptable IR battle system. However this is a double edge sword as it more complex to figure it out, and the resulting set up a lot harder to standardize in club play.

I hope you get into IR, so you can do a review on your findings in that respect as well.

Great review on what you covered, but I think it is fair to say another big part of these boards is the IR game play as well, and depending on why you are buying the board this is something that needs to be considered..

I have heard that RCTA have come up with a way to add IR game play to the ASP.

Last edited by YHR; 03-22-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:14 PM
clarkmodel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taigen Erick can install TK22 and play it in 5 mins, you can't?

I usually don't judge things good or bad like that, everyone has his own preference and knowledge, someone think electronic and software is easy, but someone don't, take programming as example, many customers like our design because they don't need to bring a laptop if they need to do some adjustment on the field, some of them even never use computer, but it's marked as"difficult"? what a great review.

Last edited by clarkmodel; 03-22-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:37 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Good job, thanks for the effort and time of putting it all together.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:37 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

double post
Old 03-23-2015, 03:12 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by clarkmodel
Taigen Erick can install TK22 and play it in 5 mins, you can't?

I usually don't judge things good or bad like that, everyone has his own preference and knowledge, someone think electronic and software is easy, but someone don't, take programming as example, many customers like our design because they don't need to bring a laptop if they need to do some adjustment on the field, some of them even never use computer, but it's marked as"difficult"? what a great review.
Just to be clear, I spoke to Erik and he did get the Clark board running in just five minutes, but that was only the lower hull. NO ONE, I don't care who, could set up a Clark board for airsoft in five minutes. It takes longer than that just to read the instructions! I had the IBU2 completely installed, including the upper hull and turret, in about 5 minutes (maybe 7). That doesn't count research time (reading the instructions) for either board.

The reason I think the programming for the clark is more difficult is 1) the special remote you need to get all the functions (the IBU2 only needs an SD card reader, $4 at most stores), and 2) I had to make a unit to do the programming which meant soldering wires to an HL receiver and an LED. Many, many new guys are a bit hesitant about soldering (as I was myself at first) so the SD card in the IBU2 may be much easier for them. I know you can buy a programming unit for the Clark, but I didn't know I would need that for airsoft until I had the unit, IR tanks won't need that and I'm sure they're much easier to program.

However, the Clark is a great board and I like it very much. I plan to use the Clark board in any tank that has space limitations. It's also only two thirds the cost of the IBU2 and that can make a big difference, especially when you start talking about outfitting multiple tanks.

Also, in case this wasn't perfectly clear, when I rate something as good or bad, that's just my opinion, and we've already covered opinions - they're like butts. Everyone has one and most of them stink. All I'm doing here is sharing my personal experience with these two boards. Many other guys that are smarter than I am will have different opinions and different experiences.

Also, to be fair, I have not tried the Clark for IR or the IBU2 for airsoft, but I never promised comprehensibility, I only promised that I would always attempt to share my personal experiences and opinions in a fair and honest manner. These videos were done in one take, this is the way they acted at that time, and I think it was a completely honest representation of my experience in this case. As I said more than once - I plan to buy more of BOTH these units. I love them both and I want more of both. I actually like the fact that they have differences, as I'll need different qualities for different tanks.

And there is one thing about the Clark board that I like that I forgot to mention - both Mato and Clark have a strong presence here on the forum. Direct interaction with the maker of the product in a public forum (in my opinion) is a huge bonus for any product.

Now I just need to work more overtime and buy more boards.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:57 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by olegnA
I agree.

Furthermore, If you don't like the way your tank makes sounds - you can change them. Ian (RC Tank Electronics) was kind enough to produce a certain squeaking sound for my T-34.
Can you be more specific? I think the squeaks could be toned down a bit, and I'm not fond of the gear grinding on take off. I think it makes it sound like my driver's a newbie.

What's your take on individual noises? What doesn't fit? I do REALLY like the way the engine sounds increase with acceleration. I know you seem to have the changing of sounds down, Angelo, (the tiger in your video really sounds good) so I plan to get with you for pointers on execution when I get to that stage.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:10 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Clark TK22 Brief; Infrared Battle Focus.

A friend dropped off his Red Menace Chinese Main Battle Tank for a little restore and a new paint job.

Which gave me a chance to learn a little more about "Clark's World of RC Controllers".

My opinion, well, the TK22 with Infrared works very well and the sound effects are fun!

1. Visit here to Install and Program Your Clark TK22: http://www.clark-model.com/eng/index_e.html

2. Visit here for the good value HK6S Radio purchase info: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_Mode_2_.html

3. For less than $175.00 plus mailing this is a remarkable controller, infrared system, that works against the Tamiya System. Though, that is also like saying that your car with 4 wheels and a steering wheel is just like any F1 race car that uses 4 wheels and a steering wheel. Qualitatively it is a mismatch to compare the Clark System to a Tamiya System. Though, the Clark's board plus IR functions basically the same as Tamiya, of course, and hobby bang for your buck is superior, for sure. So, well done Clark!

4. I would say the install is a delicate wiring task and delicate is often not easy, but not difficult.

5. As mentioned, the system is not loud, but that is not a concern to me.

6. The many stick tank commands are a computer science programmers dream, but a nightmare if you just want to take it to the other guy and IF kill his tank, so this I found awkward, but doable, kinda of.

Enjoy, John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Clark-TK22.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	2083504   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Turret-detail.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2083505   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 IF-L-Front.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	2083506  

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-23-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:46 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Other ways to go for stronger compatibility on the infrared battlefield: Hen Long Tamiya Conversion Infrared Package Option.

Name:	Sherman-75MM-DMD-package.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	2083584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear-camo.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2083585  

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-23-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:52 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Reminder: The Tamiya rc tank conversion qualitative thing relative to a Hen Long Clark rc tank conversion project, often, there is a huge gap.

This tank is a dedicated infrared fighter designed by Daryl Turner and assembled by me for succeeding at AAF Museum Battlefield Events.

Enjoy, John

Name:	2-Tiger-II-Hull-v3.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	2083575   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Tiger-II-trunnion.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2083576   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Tiger-II-Hero.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	2083577  

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-23-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:12 AM
olegnA

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Can you be more specific? I think the squeaks could be toned down a bit, and I'm not fond of the gear grinding on take off. I think it makes it sound like my driver's a newbie.

What's your take on individual noises? What doesn't fit? I do REALLY like the way the engine sounds increase with acceleration. I know you seem to have the changing of sounds down, Angelo, (the tiger in your video really sounds good) so I plan to get with you for pointers on execution when I get to that stage.
Yes, the squeak sound can be toned down and deleted or completely replaced, but you know this already. But for my T34 I asked Ian for a certain squeaking sound set I found on youtube. He reproduced the sound clip and sent it to me by email, and I installed it on the microSD card.

I think, IBU2 requires a very good speaker to maximize its sound output. It has its own amplifier anyway and takes 4 ohms. I bought two speakers but I am not satisfied the way they sound. I think, I need a good enclosure (I need help on this).

I must admit though that the stock Taigen speakers work just fine.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Max-U52

Pcomm1.V2, that looks like a good radio, but I was planning to use this one

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_1_.html

$25 each!! I'll eventually have at least ten tanks on these boards and I want a separate TX for each. Dan tells me this is a rebranded flysky, same as the mato ma-1010, which is what came in the package. Same radio, but the HK has pots for 5 and 6 and that fits perfect with the servo controlled volume I have planned.

Like I keep saying, both are great boards but you get what you pay for. So far I think the IBU2 is a slightly better board, but it does cost more. Given the price difference I'd say they're about even.

Last edited by Max-U52; 03-23-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:54 AM
YHR

My opinion is the Clark board is a very good IR board with so many possibilites it will be hard to manage them effectively. Default to Tamiya though and it simplifes everything.. And yes the stick configuration will take getting used to.

My plug in this is if you add the Benedini to the Clark, you will be hard pressed to find a better sounding system, with the IR possibilities that Clark has.

If RCTA can add Tamiya compatible IR to the ASP board then this might be work a look as well, but kind of more in line with the IBU2 and El mod.

Programming sounds in this style of board is time consuming. There sound bytes are hard to get smooth transitions. I have heard a couple of IBU files though that are really good, and my hats off to the guy who spent the time to build them, because I know how much work is involved to get these to sound smooth.

Again I think the review was good, and it points out how hard it is to evaluate these things side by side.. So much comes into play including personal preferences.

Isn't it nice we have a choices., where as a few years ago there were none
Old 03-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Max-U52,

Agree on the radio selection, I think my friend went with the HK 6S 2.4, 6 channel radio because of the hidden antenna. I am just working on his tank for a bit, painting, tweaking and having fun playing with it, so, I did not originally spec the gear. But love the prices on the all HK rc radios. There stuff works great and they are a friendly pro online supplier.

FYI: I am using the outstanding IBU2 - Bendini Controller setup, without IF (no need), from Dan (YHR) for a second Tamiya Gepard Flankpanzer collaboration, conversion build, which is now entering its second year. The board setup is really nice, because Dan did all the heavy lifting!

John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-23-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:56 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Pcomm1.V2, that looks like a good radio, but I was planning to use this one

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_1_.html

$25 each!! I'll eventually have at least ten tanks on these boards and I want a separate TX for each. Dan tells me this is a rebranded flysky, same as the mato ma-1010, which is what came in the package. Same radio, but the HK has pots for 5 and 6 and that fits perfect with the servo controlled volume I have planned.

Like I keep saying, both are great boards but you get what you pay for. So far I think the IBU2 is a slightly better board, but it does cost more. Given the price difference I'd say they're about even.

The downside to this radio is you have to hook it up to a computer to reverse servo direction, and make end point adjustments, etc. The nice thing about this radio is you have to hook it up to a computer to reverse servos, and make end point adjustments etc.

Working on a full screen computer with some nice $2 developer software gives you a really nice interface to get the most out of the radio. However if you buy this radio make sure you buy the programming cable for $5.00
Old 03-23-2015, 03:20 PM
olegnA

Originally Posted by YHR
The downside to this radio is you have to hook it up to a computer to reverse servo direction, and make end point adjustments, etc. The nice thing about this radio is you have to hook it up to a computer to reverse servos, and make end point adjustments etc.

Working on a full screen computer with some nice $2 developer software gives you a really nice interface to get the most out of the radio. However if you buy this radio make sure you buy the programming cable for $5.00
This is something I became aware of when I got into tanking 2 months ago - There is NO remote/radio exclusively for tanks. (Almost all radios are doing a tankless job.)

It was kind of hard for me at the beginning especially configuring my radio since I never had experience flying rc planes/helis. But as soon I got going into the config setup - I found out that the system was intuitive.

But still, NO radio just for tanks.

Last edited by olegnA; 03-23-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:36 PM
sergeantseabass

Hey Gary I sent this to you in a PM but I thought it was good knowledge for anyone and since this seemed to be the place to throw I thought I would. this is how to install the clark and use airsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvRpXb_4TFQ Bill
Old 03-25-2015, 07:47 PM
TheBennyB

This is something I became aware of when I got into tanking 2 months ago - There is NO remote/radio exclusively for tanks. (Almost all radios are doing a tankless job.)

It was kind of hard for me at the beginning especially configuring my radio since I never had experience flying rc planes/helis. But as soon I got going into the config setup - I found out that the system was intuitive.

But still, NO radio just for tanks.
Depends on the system your running. If you need just the 4 basic channels, grab a futaba skysport 4YF. Nice, solid and basic. Also easy to wire in a fire button.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Futaba-4...item5af8afbdbc
Old 03-25-2015, 07:59 PM
olegnA

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Depends on the system your running. If you need just the 4 basic channels, grab a futaba skysport 4YF. Nice, solid and basic. Also easy to wire in a fire button.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Futaba-4...item5af8afbdbc
Thank you.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
TheBennyB

Thank you.
No sweat. Just a heads up, it's not a programmable TX, so if you need to adjust endpoints or do any kind of mixing or %'s it won't work for ya.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:16 PM
philipat

Gary,

I noticed that the controller you're using with the Tiger and the IBU2 has several additional switches and toggles. Any way to use them to control non-driving functions like turning on/off lights or the smoker, firing the machine gun, or even firing the main gun? That would make the driving controls simpler because you wouldn't have to worry about "half" or "75% stick" movements to do those functions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.