Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Stuff! ETO gearbox, Taigen 5:1, Abrams, Jagdpanther, Tiger, more!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Stuff! ETO gearbox, Taigen 5:1, Abrams, Jagdpanther, Tiger, more!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:35 PM
pedzola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Stuff! ETO gearbox, Taigen 5:1, Abrams, Jagdpanther, Tiger, more!

The tanking continues...

Will provide full write-ups w/pictures later, but for now just wanted to give some quick thoughts on recent purchases.

1) ETO Armour KV gearbox (http://etoarmour.com/product_detail.php?productID=S03). Bob is an awesome guy to deal with, and this gearbox is AMAZING. Designed for the Tamiya KV1/2, but with some work I was able to get it fitted to my Torro KV2. If I would have gotten this box first, I would have saved a lot of time, $$ and frustration. Full review to come.

2) HL Abrams. I bought an Abrams w/metal tracks from an Amazon vendor TPA Store. When it arrived, a suspension arm and return roller were broken off in the box. I returned it. I have to give credit to TPA Store - price was good, shipped quickly, and customer service on the return was excellent. I was not impressed w/the Abrams though.

3) The Abrams was for an Arduino tank project. Replaced it w/a Taigen Tiger 1 - Scratch & Dent deal from IMEX. The Tiger 1 is solid! Wish I would have got this tank first instead of the KV2. Much more controllable out of the box, and a lot of nice features. This one is for my nephew. We have big plans... will report back when we've made some progress.

4) RCTank.de Jagdpanther. Well after 5+ weeks it finally arrived. I thought it was lost in customs forever. As you might know, RCTank.de has a version of the Taigen (I think?) Jagdpanther. It has an all-metal lower half which is unfortunately unavailable here in the US. Super impressed w/the tank out of the box, except of course the 3:1 gearboxes are way too fast.

5) So I also ordered a Taigen 5:1 gearbox to go with the Jagdpanther. They are available now in Europe, though again unfortunately they have not hit our shores yet. First impressions... eh. I feel like the motors really struggle to move the metal Jagdpanther. Also very noisy. And though it is "5:1" I don't really see a difference from the 4:1 gearing of the Tiger 1. Would be curious to see what the actual gear ratios are for all the gearboxes out there.

So clearly I owe you guys a lot of pictures and more in-depth reviews. Will get to that when I can.

I have 1 question right now... I reused the Torro KV2 electronics for the Jagdpanther. The KV is Airsoft, the JP is IR. When I fire the gun on the JP, it winds up like it's an airsoft cannon. The "recoil" moves for this wind up. Very strange... I thought the MFU was interchangeable, is there something I need to do to get the IR firing right?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:21 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the JP lower is made by Asiatam I believe. Looks like you've got all kinds of new toys, easter bunny must of had some big eggs to hide all these in!!
Old 04-09-2015, 11:54 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking fw to those ETO tu's in action, remember video :-)
Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 PM
wsn123

- what is the gear ratio of those gearboxes
- what type of motors are assembled (what rpm at 7,2V with no load)
- are similar gearboxes for Tamiya IS-2 also available?

http://etoarmour.com/product_detail.php?productID=S03

Last edited by wsn123; 04-10-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:21 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I've got that same JP lower and you're gonna love it. I'm using brass gearboxes and they're pretty good. The currently available steel "5:1" (do we need to go through all that again? I think Imex calls them "Dual Ratio Gearboxes". They are NOT a 5:1 ratio) are the gearboxes that Imex rejected because of torque issues. As far as I know they still haven't found a motor that works with the steel gears. I've got a set of the Taigen dual ratio boxes on my shelf that I haven't put in yet because I don't like the noise and the power issues, even in a light tank like a plastic PIII. I'm still hoping Erik comes up with a solution, or starts making them in brass again! I have one of the last brass sets from Imex and they're just terrific.

Personally, I think going to steel gears was a bad move. The brass gears work fine, they're MUCH more quiet and they don't need the hard to find high torque motors to perform properly.

So how many guys have actually had a brass gearbox fail because the brass gears weren't strong enough?

Pedzola, I'm anxiously waiting to hear your opinions on the steel dual ratio, hopefully with video.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:26 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52
So how many guys have actually had a brass gearbox fail because the brass gears weren't strong enough?
I have some of the early steel gears and they're actually fairly quiet. My brass set (same flat set...2 of them) are both fairly noisy, but solid. No breaking issues at all. Good set...would love to have them with ball bearings, though. That would be the coup d'etat.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:44 AM
pedzola

I will try to figure out how to post a video.

For now, here are a couple of pictures. First is the ETO gearbox w/drive shafts and final gear removed, ready to install...

I don't know all the specs on the motors, but for me the proof is in the performance. If I can post a video it will be obvious. All the torque needed is available even at a slow crawl. The speed is perfect for the KV. Also, this gearbox is VERY quiet.

Another note, despite being shipped from Russia, the gearbox arrived in 3 weeks. Was expecting it to take longer.

Picture Installed in the Torro KV2 hull: Note again that this is not a drop-in - The gearbox is designed for the Tamiya KV. There was a lot of fitting and modification needed for my tank.

And lastly, a picture of the new Jagdpanther with my KV2:

I really like the subtle dark paintjob on the RCTank.de body. Dominique at RCTank.de was also a pleasure to deal with. My order was shipped fast, and even after 5 weeks (most stuck in customs I assume), the tank arrived in PERFECT condition. Packed very well. W/the current Euro exchange rate, the price was excellent. Dom took the VAT off the price for me (I guess you don't have to pay VAT if it is delivered outside of Europe?) Would not hesitate to buy from RCtank.de again, just understand that US customs might hold the package up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1045.JPG
Views:	1838
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	2088033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1051.JPG
Views:	2367
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	2088034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1054.JPG
Views:	1897
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	2088035  
Old 04-11-2015, 05:51 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52
I've got that same JP lower and you're gonna love it. I'm using brass gearboxes and they're pretty good. The currently available steel "5:1" (do we need to go through all that again? I think Imex calls them "Dual Ratio Gearboxes". They are NOT a 5:1 ratio) are the gearboxes that Imex rejected because of torque issues. As far as I know they still haven't found a motor that works with the steel gears. I've got a set of the Taigen dual ratio boxes on my shelf that I haven't put in yet because I don't like the noise and the power issues, even in a light tank like a plastic PIII. I'm still hoping Erik comes up with a solution, or starts making them in brass again! I have one of the last brass sets from Imex and they're just terrific.

Personally, I think going to steel gears was a bad move. The brass gears work fine, they're MUCH more quiet and they don't need the hard to find high torque motors to perform properly.

Pedzola, I'm anxiously waiting to hear your opinions on the steel dual ratio, hopefully with video.
I've sheared off the drive shafts several times. There are steel replacements though, and I've never had a gear fail.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:05 AM
pedzola

Maxu - I watched your video explaining the fitting of the brass gearbox. That was invaluable for me fitting my new dual-ratio box. When I first put it into place, nothing lined up, and I was thinking I would have to drill new holes. After watching your videos I realized I just needed to dremel a little bit of material off the box and a couple of screwheads, and it lined up w/the existing holes like a charm.

I used some Breakfree (gun oil) on the gearbox last night and it was a little more quiet, but still straining to move the metal Jagdpanther. It could use another reduction (or more powerful motors of course - but I'm afraid the lack of space when these gearboxes are installed really limits the options).

I will see if I can get some videos up.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Max-U52

Hey Pedzola, first, is that the stock Taigen electronics now in the Jagdpanther (I don't know what comes in the Torro KV-1 but I assume it's the standard Taigen MFU/TX)? If so, did you see the mod to give you up/down on the gun elevation without having to cycle all the way through?

Second, posting videos is pretty easy. I usually start with at least two windows open so I can click back and forth. In window one I'm writing my post, I click on the video icon, right next to the one you use to post photos. One of those gray boxes appears and tells me to insert the url for the video. That's where I click over to window 2 and go to youtube, click on the video I want to post, copy the address in the little box at the top, then click back to window one and paste it in the box. Then click OK and that's it. It makes the video appear right in the post. Or, you can not click on the video icon and just copy and paste the address for the video into your post and it will appear as a link we can click on. Here's examples of both, same video (just for example, I don't really think anyone will watch both. )

Inserted through the icon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJV_HDmN5-w That's my Jagdpanther with the Asiatam metal lower and the seriously upgraded smoke (thanks to Normand), it came as the hundred dollar all tan HL, painted the camo myself (or tried to ). Had a little trouble getting it to fire for a second there.

And here's what it looks like if I just copy and paste the address without using the video icon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJV_HDmN5-w
Old 04-11-2015, 06:34 AM
pedzola

Sorry, I should have clarified... it's not the posting that is the problem, it's making videos. I've never used youtube or saved a video from my phone (my only video camera). I'll figure it out, thanks. And yeah I saw the mod. I'm ok w/it as it is.

Bigger problem is described in my first post. Instead of firing normally the cannon recoil seems to wind up when I shoot, like it's an airsoft gun. And I yes the Torro setup seems identical to the stock taigen electronics.

So I'm not sure if there is maybe a switch somewhere on the unit or if I need to do something else to switch it from airsoft to IR operation.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:38 AM
Max-U52

I think we just crossed posts because I didn't see that last one of yours till I posted my last one. I'm kinda slow at this.

Glad the video was helpful. Did you see the one about the 360 motors? Those really help in the steel dual ratio gearboxes but they're still short on power. But, for $7 for a pair, including shipping, they might be worth a try. I'm about to order some more myself because I want to get an HL Abrams and I think they'll be perfect in that. Right now I have some in my ZTZ-99A and they work really good, but sometimes it doesn't have the power to supper spin on grippy carpet.

That's a great paintjob on the JP from rctank.de, and the work you did to the KV-1 looks first rate. I've seen those gearboxes and wondered how they are, I see it's aluminum for the sides, can you tell what the gears themselves are made of? Video of the KV-1 would be really cool, as I haven't yet seen those boxes in action. I know they're kinda pricey, but they look like really superior quality so I wouldn't expect them to be cheap. How bad were the shipping rates from over there? Where are you again? I think you told me before what state you're in but I forget. Damn hippie brain. Doh!

Oh yeah, I find that Lubriplate or any quality white lithium grease works really well on steel gears. CRC even makes it in a spray can but it's kinda messy so I just spray it in a jar and apply with a brush.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Max-U52

We crossed again! Video would really help on the cannon issue if you can hook one up.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:43 AM
Max-U52

The first thing I would try for the cannon problem is reversing the three pin plug on the bottom of the upper hull next to the 8 pin. If that's backwards it will do strange stuff.

I have diagrams of both airsoft and IR wiring systems for Taigen so let me know if they might help.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:45 AM
Max-U52

Another thing I thought about trying is using the turret rotation in the JP to make the TC move. It's really just a motor controller so you should be able to hook up a motor and make him turn back and forth. I bet Rex knows how to do that already.

Right now when you move the left stick right or left it just gives noise, right?
Old 04-11-2015, 08:50 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by wsn123
- what is the gear ratio of those gearboxes
- what type of motors are assembled (what rpm at 7,2V with no load)
- are similar gearboxes for Tamiya IS-2 also available?
http://etoarmour.com/product_detail.php?productID=S03
The reduction for the KV is 100:1 and the motor is 19000 no load RPB.

JS is like Panther/JP, waiting some special work on the gears, and the JS will take some interesting mounts from first look. However, the gears should be ready late next week so I can get back to making the Panther/JP system and start on the JS. Next will be the Hooben T55.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:52 AM
wsn123

Originally Posted by sevoblast
The reduction for the KV is 100:1 and the motor is 19000 no load RPB.

JS is like Panther/JP, waiting some special work on the gears, and the JS will take some interesting mounts from first look. However, the gears should be ready late next week so I can get back to making the Panther/JP system and start on the JS. Next will be the Hooben T55.
Thank You for reply. Are they 480 type motors with 2,3 mm shafts?
Is it possible later to chanage motors /by user/ - is motor pinion removable ?
Old 04-11-2015, 09:36 PM
sevoblast

Yes, 2.3 mm shafts on the motors. Pinions are press on. I am in process if obtaining a source for more pinions but it will take a while what with shipping to and from EU.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:57 AM
wsn123

Thank for information - would be any dealer in EU for this gearboxes?
Old 04-12-2015, 08:26 AM
sevoblast

Originally Posted by wsn123
Thank for information - would be any dealer in EU for this gearboxes?
No, just me at the moment. Shipping to you is not a problem, the parcel will come from Moscow to you or if things go south it will come from Greece.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:01 AM
wsn123

Ok Thank You for information
Old 04-19-2015, 07:51 PM
pedzola

I owe you guys some more info - have been very busy lately - might be able to get some videos or at least more pictures this week. Sorry about that.

A couple of things in the meantime -

1) If anyone is looking to fit an ETO gearbox to their Torro/Taigen KV1/KV2, I am happy to provide a detailed explanation of how I did it. Please PM me.

2) I put my IBU2 Pro into the Jagdpanther, and I have to say - the Ibu2 really shines in this application as compared to the KV2. I think the JP sounds are much better, and the driving adjustments were much needed. I am really enjoying the JP now, despite some challenges that still need to be addressed. Turning is extremely difficult in this tank w/the underpowered motors and low-resistance of the "dual-ratio" gearboxes.

3) So I came up w/an idea about addressing the JP turning - Maybe I go back to the 3:1 gearboxes and just add overpowered motors to them. Anyone run 12v motors? I have a pair of BaneBots RS395 motors that are similar in size to a Speed-400 type. They are 12v, and looks like about 40% more torque on paper than 7.2v 380's. I can slow down the speed using the IBU2 (and IBU allows for 3s Lipo's for 12v motors) - so I wonder if this combo will be enough to overcome the gearing of the 3:1s?

4) Working on the Arduino/FPV Tiger1. Have had some challenges but progress is looking good. It drives. Video works. Need turret controls next. Will report full description w/pics etc when it is mostly done. This is going to be a cool vehicle.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:07 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Yea as I mentioned before the dual ratio will be kinda meh until the correct ones are released with bearings and upgraded motors hence the delay on our side releasing them. I was not happy with the steel gears and bushings so I had the molds redone again. The ones with bearings will make a world of difference.
I am very interested in the Arduino project, have you looked at starting with the APM rover project first? A lot of code is already worked out, the hardware is cheap, and there are lots of addons like bluetooth, 2 way telemetry, gps support (dual gps and compass actually), and plenty of I/O for something like a sound card. I've got one in one of my tanks actually, I just have been really tight on time and I still want to do a lot with it.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:22 AM
pedzola

Erik, you've mentioned APM before and I never understood what you were referring to. I did some googling and found this autonomous rover project... http://ardupilot.com/

I had not seen this before. Looks really interesting. Did not consider this, because I didn't know about it. Right now the Tiger is drivable, and just need to work out the turret controls. I ordered a motor driver this weekend to accomplish this.

I think that with the Arduino mega, a Dimension Engineering Sabertooth 2x12 driving the gearbox motors, and this new adafruit motor drver - I think we'll be able to get everything working without too much difficulty. I have some experience programming, so i'm not too worried about the code.

To get the tank driving only required a couple of lines of code after adding a standard pin interrupt and RC control libraries I found online. (Another poster here converted a Leo to arduino and that helped point me in the right direction).

So anyway - autonomous might be for another project down the road. Thanks for the heads up.

Also - I sent you an email about some spare parts for the Tiger, KV, and Jagdpanther. Please PM me if you didn't get it.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:43 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes the rover link is what you will be looking for: http://rover.ardupilot.com Check your email btw, you should have a response from me shortly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.