Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Fellow tankers I have a crazy idea

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Fellow tankers I have a crazy idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:40 PM
M60A1Medium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fellow tankers I have a crazy idea

Fellow tankers I have a crazy idea , it may lead to death or awesomeness . Some of you may have seen the tank I'm building from scratch . I'm going to cut it shorter and make the Chinese main battle tank with a TWIST . The twist is I could possibly make it fire bb's powered by THESE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	2088563   Click image for larger version

Views:	107
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	2088564  
Old 04-13-2015, 02:01 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Nawww, I don't think I'd build a 'remote controlled drone' that was capable of 'firing a projectile by explosive means' with how our authorities view things today. I used to be a Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealer and I'm pretty sure I read about that kind of stuff in that big, thick federal shoot'in arn regulation book.

I read a while ago about a gentleman who had built a beautiful 8' replica of an Revolutionary War warship and took it to a national holiday celebration in a major city (Boston?). He had placed blank firing scale cannons along his ship and while sailing the ship on water was going to fire off an occasional broadside.

THAT didn't go over very well with three or four government agencies that were in attendance at the festivities. They swooped in on him and there was a lot of stressful explaining, inspections, and threats... even shooting blanks out of a remotely operated machine is iffy especially if something is made to come out by an explosive charge.

I know we've all heard 'Why don't ya make bullets fire out of that tank. That'd be cool!!!' Naw... I'm too pretty and cute to have a cell mate.

Mike
Old 04-13-2015, 03:19 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

agreed
Old 04-13-2015, 03:42 AM
mordock999

Originally Posted by M60A1Medium
Fellow tankers I have a crazy idea , it may lead to death or awesomeness . Some of you may have seen the tank I'm building from scratch . I'm going to cut it shorter and make the Chinese main battle tank with a TWIST . The twist is I could possibly make it fire bb's powered by THESE

BAD Idea. Your Idea MIGHT Have been "kinda" Okay Here in the US, in the Late 70s or early 80s, but Now-a-days? With everybody looking Over for Their Shoulders for Terrorists? NOPE. Heck, I'm surprised, the "Powers-That-Be" haven't tried to BAN even "Airsoft" shooters. ("Why Those Projectiles Can BLIND Children!!")

I've Heard of some Custom Made Tank Kits from Germany featuring the type of "Working" gun You Mentioned, but That's in Europe.

Member Tanque has talked about this sort of thing in the past.

Perhaps He'll weigh-in on THIS Issue....,

Last edited by mordock999; 04-14-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:05 AM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i was going to say that it's not a good idea what was once a cool tank replica you would now be making it a weapon or at least a dangerous idea
Old 04-13-2015, 04:26 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I've seen this discussion several times in the two short years since I joined, and Mordock is absolutely right. Ever since nine-eleven the world is a very different place and now-a-days even having black powder for a smoke effect can get you in trouble. Erik has told me that customs sometimes gives them guff over what's in the tanks now. I think a big part of the problem is the federal law that says that every person who attends any federal academy (Customs, ATF, FBI, etc) is required to have their sense of humor surgically removed. So while I think it's a great idea and I'd love to see it done, this is a case where a great idea would be a very bad move.

You might be able to get away with a small CO2 system, but even that's iffy at best. I've been thinking about playing around with different springs to see if I can get a little more oomph, but it's not high on the list of things to do. For me the best thing would be to figure out how to give them all a fairly equal amount of power and range with the current set-up. If you do any work in that area, M60, I'd really like to hear the results.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:06 AM
DaveBcool

At one time several moons ago, didn't Armortek have a system to mount a 9mm inside the turret and fire blanks out the barrel?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:56 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

It may have been Armortek or Mark 1, don't remember.

However, I will say this. No model tank with a firing device other than completely stock, as in spring operated plastic BB, will be allowed on Battery Museum property.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:42 AM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a nice bb launching system look At Perry S's co2 airsoft mod.

I really want to do an fpv battle with those one day
Old 04-13-2015, 08:10 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Dont forget about the ship battler folks. They shoot real bbs at each other sinking ships.

We have a scale warship guy that has glow plugs and black powder to simulate broadsides from his alabama. The club doesnt allow pyrotechnics, so he just does it on his own. No harm so far and its been along time. But no projectiles.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The blank firing system that you have seen in Germany require the owner to have a firearms licence then they have to have permission from the city in which they wish to fire said blanks mostly you will see this at Panzer museum Munster, for the museum they will also require permission from the museum and also the Bundeswehr, firing of any type or projectile is highly illegal, in England it’s not quite as stringent but most events won’t allow this sort of behaviour.
Using any form of blank to fire any type of projectile even a plastic BB is looking for trouble doing this with an RC tank would constitute turning the tank into a mobile weapons platform this sort of behaviour is bound to win you a holiday in the men’s club.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:37 PM
sergeantseabass

The idea behind it is good. I don't think that anyone hasn't thought about it at some point. But I think that your going to find more heart ache than anything with it. Not the working mechanism or anything but the red tape alone that you would have to wade through, climb, cut, weed, and cross just to be able to do something like that and actually use it at least once. All that is assuming that your in a state that even has a love for the second amendment. If your in one of the other states though then your battle would be even harder. I like the idea though but I think you might be better off going the CO2 route rather than the blank cartridge route. But that is just my two cents.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:53 PM
LosTxSouL94

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've personally teased the idea of shooting live .22 rounds from a specially designed tank, but I'm more worried about the recoil exploding through the back of the turret and hitting vital bits on my body. It would be interesting though to shoot at tank husks on land you own. One can only think.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:20 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are right. This is a crazy idea,
Old 04-13-2015, 09:40 PM
M60A1Medium

Thank you everyone, I never knew all of this. I live under a rock,but it would have been cool.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:46 PM
M60A1Medium

I'm also into pyrotechnics a bit , wish I knew more. Like I make replica paintball gun mods I know it's not pyro but they function the same a bit... And the paintball park lets me use it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	65
Size:	626.3 KB
ID:	2089015   Click image for larger version

Views:	318
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	2089016   Click image for larger version

Views:	324
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	2089017  
Old 04-13-2015, 10:42 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by M60A1Medium

I'll just say this: Please don't come here with these sorts of ideas. They're not welcome. If you do something stupid like this PLEASE don't associate yourself
or refer to yourself as an RC tank enthusiast.

I don't want to be likened to you either as a rc tank enthusiast OR a firearms enthusiast. If you want to shoot a firearm or high powered pellet gun go to the desert, mountains or
suitable rifle/pistol/ shotgun range with the appropriate arm. If you want to have a battle capable tank model invest in one of several suitable special effects systems( aka battle units). There's just no need to mount anything else in a model tank.

We don't need this. If I was the moderator I'm delete this thread.

Jerry
Old 04-14-2015, 01:14 AM
rivetcounter

When he’s doing bird with the sodomites only then he will realise just how irresponsible this idea is
Old 04-14-2015, 02:23 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I think addressing this topic on here IS important to spread the word about the physical/legal implications of making a remote controlled machine dangerous cause the public doesn't know.

It's not a 'new' topic cause the whole world (BOTH good and bad) already know about REAL attack drones being used today.

WE as r/c modelers (cars, planes, tanks, rockets, etc.) know it's something not to do but some in the public don't know. And, as I said, I'VE been asked so many times while showing my tanks to the non-r/c public "Why don't you make it shoot bullets?" If you haven't been asked this then you don't exhibit your models much.

This is a question us r/c enthusiasts should know how to answer to the uninformed.

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 04-14-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:49 AM
Max-U52

In this case I have to totally agree with Mike and totally disagree with Jerry.

This is EXACTLY the place to bring these kinds of ideas so that we can achieve the same results as we had here. The man posted the idea, the more experienced members explained why it was a bad idea, and now the man knows it's not a good idea and has abandoned it.

As a free and open forum, members should be able to express any and all thoughts and ideas they have concerning RC tanks, and should never be discouraged from doing so. The best way to improve our hobby is to encourage the good ideas and discourage the bad ones, and if people don't post ideas because they think they won't be welcome we'll have people doing a lot more crazy things, just because we never had an opportunity to discuss the topic and determine that maybe it's not such a good idea after all.

So, M60A1Medium, please keep bringing your ideas here for discussion before you implement them. This one wasn't such a good idea, but you just might come up with something really great one day. As far as I'm concerned, ALL ideas and thoughts are welcome here, and should never be discouraged. I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend unto death your right to say it".
Old 04-14-2015, 03:22 AM
Dropship Ace

Well you're not as crazy as this guy. A 1/6 Armortek Konigs Tiger that fires .410 magnum shotgun shells.

Honestly as long as you excercise caution, common sense and don't involve unwilling parties or their property. I don't see a problem.

Oh and don't break any laws.

WW2 Tiger2 firing live rounds.: https://youtu.be/s8zLguRgXik

Last edited by Dropship Ace; 04-14-2015 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:03 AM
Max-U52

Yes, that was totally crazy using shotgun shells, but I sure would like to learn to make video like that. I've never seen video of an RC tank that looked so much like real footage from the 1940s as this one. Even the trees appear to be in scale. I wouldn't be surprised if he fooled quite a few people into thinking this was actual wartime footage. The shotgun thing is insane, but the video technique is amazing.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:01 AM
rivetcounter

Magpiespyro as the name suggests works with pyro furthermore he is former British Army and a licenced weapons expert the film was done in a controlled environment on a firing range the tank was registered as a weapon and after the filming was done this weapon was completely disarmed as opposed to the latest nut to come onto the forum wanting to install some form of weapon in a model tank the last thing you want to do is put ideas in to the head of the local nutcase some may be rational enough to realise that it’s a bad idea but there are plenty who will think that this is a great idea and take it two steps further installing something more lethal, do we really want to encourage nutters.

Jerry is correct nutters like this don’t belong on the forum, by all means encourage ideas but turning a model tank into a weapons platform will never be a good idea and should never be encouraged, if any of you think that this is not a bad idea why not take some drawings of a model tank with your chosen weapon along to the local Police station and explain what you intend to make I’m sure they will give you all the encouragement and help to get the project working.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:48 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by rivetcounter
Jerry is correct nutters like this don’t belong on the forum,.
So are you saying that M60A1Medium is a "nutter" that doesn't belong here and shouldn't be allowed to participate in discussions or post threads here?

All those in favor of silencing people that say things we don't like, raise your hand

Last edited by Max-U52; 04-14-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 AM
Dropship Ace

Originally Posted by rivetcounter
Magpiespyro as the name suggests works with pyro furthermore he is former British Army and a licenced weapons expert the film was done in a controlled environment on a firing range the tank was registered as a weapon and after the filming was done this weapon was completely disarmed as opposed to the latest nut to come onto the forum wanting to install some form of weapon in a model tank the last thing you want to do is put ideas in to the head of the local nutcase some may be rational enough to realise that it’s a bad idea but there are plenty who will think that this is a great idea and take it two steps further installing something more lethal, do we really want to encourage nutters.

Jerry is correct nutters like this don’t belong on the forum, by all means encourage ideas but turning a model tank into a weapons platform will never be a good idea and should never be encouraged, if any of you think that this is not a bad idea why not take some drawings of a model tank with your chosen weapon along to the local Police station and explain what you intend to make I’m sure they will give you all the encouragement and help to get the project working.
Do you really think that your nanny state ideology would stop anyone abusing the technology that we all have have available to us? "Hush now, if you talk about it, think about it, bad people might do it to hurt someone, so be a good little sheep and be quiet". And lets be honest he's just using a blank being used to motivate a BB. But I guess, next thing you know he'll be using it to overthrow a government if I am to believe your gross over reaction.

He came to this forum looking for advice, instruct him that you believe its dangerous, list your reasons why and leave it at that. Don't call him a nutter and give yourself some sanctimonious pat on the back thinking that you're berating the next Osama Bin Laden off his path of evil.

Honestly if I was an American in one of the lucky states, this modification would probably be one of the first I would have thought of making. But like I said in my previous post, as long as I don't endanger myself or anyone else. What is the problem? The idea isn't inherently evil. It is how it is used that would be the determiner of that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.