Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Fellow tankers I have a crazy idea

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Fellow tankers I have a crazy idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:34 AM
Onondaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Armortek tanks that once offered blank firing came with a "peppershaker" muzzle. This would theoretically stop bad stuff from exiting the muzzle when it fired. If the owner bored out the end of the barrel it voided the warranty.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PepperShaker.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	2089108  
Old 04-14-2015, 07:00 AM
sergeantseabass

I agree complely With Gary, Dropship Ace and Old MSGT. This is exactly where these idea should be brought up. This IS a FORUM. Ideas, questions, comments, and concerns should all be addressed here. M60 had an idea and instead of just going for it and showing the end result, he asked the community about it. He didn't just say hey look at what I'm doing he ASKED everyone what our thoughts on the matter were.

After reading the results of posts on here he decided to not pursue it. I think he could but YES there would have to be certain steps that he would have to take with at least the local government and possibly federal to be able to achieve it safely and legally.

M60 you certainly are not a nutter. The simple fact that you asked before even trying it and then decided to abandon it should be reason enough to consider you on the same side of sane.

Gotta love Freedom of Speech. I don't agree with what rivetcounter said. But I DO believe that he has the RIGHT to say it. Just like you have the RIGHT to bring your questions or statements to this forum.

M60 keep it up and who knows maybe I'll get a chance to meet you in Iowa.

Keep on tanking and bringing your ideas here.

Bill
Old 04-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sergeantseabass
Gotta love Freedom of Speech. I don't agree with what rivetcounter said. But I DO believe that he has the RIGHT to say it. Just like you have the RIGHT to bring your questions or statements to this forum.
Well said, my friend, well said.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:49 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Max, NO what I’m saying and it was rather obvious is that fitting weapons of any sort has no place on an RC tank forum; there are plenty of gun forums to take the subject.

Dropship my pommy mate, if you want to fire BBs then there are airsoft systems which don’t rely on propulsion by blank rounds which by the way is rather over the top if one really wishes to fire BBs.

Onagonda, the Armortek system is a Home office approved firing system by drilling the pepper shaker muzzle break not only would it void the warranty but it would also be highly illegal, Magpies on the other hand used a completely different system one which would not be allowed but as I said earlier he is a licenced pyrotechnic expert.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Dropship Ace

My HL King Tiger does fire BBs. With a ridiculous wind up time to boot.

But you are right, it is over the top to fire BBs. Why not just stick to good old fashioned .22 rim? Plink some cans, shoot some varmints. Sounds like bliss to me. But like I said only if I were to live in the land of the free, I am in no way condoning anyone breaking the law of their land. And here's where you got it wrong, you could have calmly and politely say you think its dangerous and irresponsible, that he should do careful research before continuing with his idea. All very sound and reasonable things to say. But instead you opted to come off as rude, assuming that it was some sort of crazy illegal ploy. Assuming that everyone lives in some ridiculous nanny state. For all we know, it could be perfectly legal, or completely illegal.

"Home Office approved" Christ. I'm surprised you Englanders are allowed to pass wind without it being triple notarised and approved by the government. Make sure you're conforming to EU emission regulations and to make sure it sounds as politically correct as possible.

Long story short, I agree with your premise, but disagree with your delivery.

Last edited by Dropship Ace; 04-15-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Onondaga
The Armortek tanks that once offered blank firing came with a "peppershaker" muzzle. This would theoretically stop bad stuff from exiting the muzzle when it fired. If the owner bored out the end of the barrel it voided the warranty.

I hope their firing unit won't allow a live round because I doubt the structure is strong enough to contain the violence of the firing if the shot jams in the pepper box of that restriction.

Also for those of jumping at the opportunity to decry what I said in the interest of free speech, consider casual observers to this thread.

Additionally if it's in the interest of information, post the arguments against ideas like this as a sticky at the top of the forum.

Jerry
Old 04-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see what the big deal is. Those are for a nail gun that you can just go buy at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ramset-Ha...0022/100091715

Although I agree that they might be a bit much. I would look into using percussion caps or primers.

Last edited by Roboticus_Prime; 04-14-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:01 AM
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dropship Ace
Do you really think that your nanny state ideology would stop anyone abusing the technology that we all have have available to us? "Hush now, if you talk about it, think about it, bad people might do it to hurt someone, so be a good little sheep and be quiet". And lets be honest he's just using a blank being used to motivate a BB. But I guess, next thing you know he'll be using it to overthrow a government if I am to believe your gross over reaction.

He came to this forum looking for advice, instruct him that you believe its dangerous, list your reasons why and leave it at that. Don't call him a nutter and give yourself some sanctimonious pat on the back thinking that you're berating the next Osama Bin Laden off his path of evil.

Honestly if I was an American in one of the lucky states, this modification would probably be one of the first I would have thought of making. But like I said in my previous post, as long as I don't endanger myself or anyone else. What is the problem? The idea isn't inherently evil. It is how it is used that would be the determiner of that.
+1
Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 AM
M60A1Medium

I thank all you guys that have my back in this discussion ,I've dropped the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	2089161  
Old 04-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

And let's not forget that we're talking about here is a projectile being expelled by an 'explosive propellant'. I'm pretty sure that doesn't include BBs (copper or plastic) being 'fired' by a spring or compressed air (here in 49 states). I don't think an Airsoft or auto BB gun installed in an r/c tank (at least here in Kentucky) would be frowned on. Nobody would care. If I still had my ATF Regulation Manual I'd look it up but that regulation manual is available on the web.

One thing that would stop me from making a device to fire a projectile (with STRONG explosive force) is: I DON'T TRUST these r/c tanks I have to BEHAVE right all the time. I don't know about your tanks but mine sometimes decide on their own to get a little 'jerky' and misbehave. If the battery gets low or the antenna loses reception it's not a surprise when they sometimes GO WILD! I can just picture one of my tanks jerking a few times then the turret turns toward ME and BBs start flying! Beers spilled! Me hoping around like I'm in a pit of snakes! Little dents in the side of the truck! Wife PO'ed! I love my tanks but I don't trust'em that much, even with BBs!

M60, you raised an excellent topic that needed to be addressed so everybody would know!

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 04-14-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

M60A1 Thanks for bringing this topic up in an open forum, clearly it is a crazy idea, dangerous to bystanders, but none the less good to talk about. I believe in free speech, I will defend anybody's right to express themselves, but I applaud your decision to drop the idea of using blanks to fire BB's. My nail gun uses those very blanks and I can shoot a 16d nail through a steel I beam with them, I've done it several times. They would be too much for a RC tank to handle. Also, the idea of radio control on a gun trigger is asking for trouble. Only fingers connected to a clear head, should activate a gun trigger. I don't live in a nanny state, firearms are very common here, ( I have stood in line at Wal-Mart behind a cowboy with a pistol in a holster on his hip ) but the idea of a radio controlled gun scares me, I would leave the area as a safety precaution while one was being used.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:18 AM
DJLaPalme

There are people making airsoft cannons capable of firing at over 400 fps. I'm sure someone could make one approaching 1,000 fps., which is close to 22 caliber ammo. I agree that having an rc tank with a gun capable of those velocities is not a safe idea. Fun maybe, but not safe! A paint ball gun is regulated by rules to no more than 280 fps. If you have ever been hit by one you darn sure don't want to be hit by a 6 mm. bb at near 1000 fps. I believe that his asking his question on this forum shows that while we may have ideas that are not feasable, most of us have had those same ideas and decided it was not the thing to do. Dennis
Old 04-14-2015, 11:59 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing about this forum is that it exists without much moderation. Open disucssion and good debate will win the day, In this case, crazy idea, generally good responses with the outcome of everyone being a little smarter.

I always cringe when we start labelling people or ideas. I don't really think there is a need for that. I doubt there are any of us who haven't thought of what fun a destructive projectile would be. At the end of the day common sense prevails yet again though.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think M60 was intending to suggest a "destructive device." But rather, something that has a more realistic cannon effect.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:47 PM
M60A1Medium

My first tank I ever scratch made was a white smoke powder tank , that had to be mussel loaded and a fuse . I still have the tank up in the closet it's much smaller than a 1/16th I can say that much
Old 04-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Lord Haw-Haw

I for one don't think it's crazy. I enjoy WW2 reenactment where blanks and natural gas are used (only a couple feet away). The only time I witnessed an issue was when they allowed the spectators enter the battle field and pick-up the brass as a souvenirs after the battle, a kid was sadden that he didn't get/find any so they fired a burst thru the M1919 mounted on a jeep for him, before anyone could say "no" he picked up a "still warm" 30 cal brass -no burns, just scared him, quick gaming reactions help'd, i think

I personally would enjoy seeing a well choreographed WW2 1/16 rc tank battle with blanks and pyrotechnics (smoke or something) for hits. More so the an IR battle (ref: from the YouTube vids I've seen), from a spectators point of view.
I'd pay too see something like that!
Old 04-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want crazy then you should check out the RC 'copter guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ttSwYNspw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8IFTa2ulA4

Last edited by Wozwasnt; 04-14-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Pah co chu puk

[QUOTE=Lord Haw-Haw;12022381

I personally would enjoy seeing a well choreographed WW2 1/16 rc tank battle with blanks and pyrotechnics (smoke or something) for hits. More so the an IR battle (ref: from the YouTube vids I've seen), from a spectators point of view.
I'd pay too see something like that![/QUOTE]

Movie pyrotechnics are done under very controlled conditions. Safety is the number one goal.

All these effects are hard wired, not radio controlled, and done on private property without people in the area. No projectile was launched, no gun was fired. The only thing that was in danger was the Pan-tiger and the Panther. The Panther survived with only minor burns, the Pan-tiger was a total loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MdPxNgS0o
Old 04-14-2015, 03:43 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Wozwasnt;12022386]If you want crazy then you should check out the RC 'copter guys

This is the kind of thing that scares me. You open up a legitimate cause for the authorities to get involved, and once that happens, who knows where it will end up. Might be rubber band balsa wood planes for us Hobbyists.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:38 PM
M60A1Medium

Or a Better idea mini paintballs the same size as the bb's , so when the tank fires it will make a small splat on the enemy tank. That would be cool
Old 04-14-2015, 05:41 PM
M60A1Medium

I think that would be better than IR cause you could see where you hit , I'm going to start experimenting on mini paintballs some big company should do that.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Pah co chu puk

I tried mini paint balls in an Airsoft tank. They pop inside the barrel as you fire. Big mess!
Old 04-14-2015, 06:37 PM
M60A1Medium

How does IR work ? Like its function ?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:46 PM
sergeantseabass

Well with IR you have a IR LED, and usually some kind of flash that will go in the barrel. The tank will also need need a reciever to take hits. If you like to pit you tank(s) against others it is the way to go. I think that there are some clubs out there that battle with BBs but I'm not sure. The downside to the IR is that a stock IR Heng Long of Taigen won't be able to abttle with each other or a Tamiya. The tamiya system is pretty much the the only one that clubs use to battle against each other. I'm not sure if there is a club out there that doesn't use Tamiya battle systems. But the good news is there are plenty of ways to make your HL or Taigen tank Tamiya compatible. Hope this helps a bit.

Bill
Old 04-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Pah co chu puk

I like the IR system. The Airsoft left lots of colored BB's scattered all over my land. I had fun shooting targets with them but when you buy 2500 BB's and shoot them, they end up everywhere. I felt like I was littering my own yard. The IR is clean, no mess to pick up and you don't need to buy more and more BB's all the time. The range is about the same, I could hit a 4 inch target at 52 ft. with Airsoft and I can light up an enemy tank at 60 ft. with IR. The other great thing about IR is that you get cannon recoil and muzzle flash. I make movies and the recoil and muzzle flash adds to the realism. If you play alone, Airsoft is fun, but if you want to play with others, IR is more fun. I have both kinds of tanks, but only use the Airsoft to shoot Prairie Dogs out in the pasture*. The IR tanks are my favorite.

* ( Note to animal rights folks... no Prairie Dogs were harmed by my target practice. )

PM sent to M60A1Medium

Last edited by Pah co chu puk; 04-14-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.