Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Fellow tankers I have a crazy idea

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Fellow tankers I have a crazy idea

Old 04-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Selling Prairie Dogs as pets! Now I'm laughing. What an odd thread this has become.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by M60A1Medium
hey Pah co chu puk, I saw your Sherman with the train track spikes on the front looked really cool. so I wanted to make something like that but with out copying Sooooo. its sort of a Churchill / super P / bull dozer .
Thanks, that is a Cullen hedgerow cutter as used in Operation Cobra, the breakout from the Normandy beachhead, the first time the Sherman 76mm was deployed in battle. Dozer tanks were used in Operation Cobra too.

Go ahead and copy it, I won't mind, I copied pictures of the real ones.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:56 PM
M60A1Medium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is my idea for an airsoft unit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRN4fTGqOOI

Last edited by M60A1Medium; 04-15-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do along the lines of what you are thinking with some modifications to the original units using Perry S's design:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...deo-added.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...t-upgrade.html

Looking back, it seems he used those paintball rounds without problem

Last edited by Martellus; 04-15-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: woops typo
Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Dropship Ace

I personally love airsoft shooting tanks, gratuitously putting dings in cans. My partner not so much, she never really appreciates the mess and the occasional 'stray' shot to the shin.

But I hate the wind up time, isn't there a way that instead of winding up the spring then releasing. Could the process be reversed? Wind up before firing, and hold the spring under tension until triggered. That would be neato.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Martellus

convert to gas as far as I know

I mean theoretically you could make it just lock back and release with a servo or something though
Old 04-15-2015, 07:59 PM
M60A1Medium

So both me and my father want to convert our airsoft to IR what electronics would we need to buy , and Eric are there any tank clubs here in Florida ?
Old 04-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Dropship Ace

Originally Posted by Martellus
convert to gas as far as I know

I mean theoretically you could make it just lock back and release with a servo or something though
Australia has ridiculously draconian laws when it come to airsoft, they are prohibited items under our firearm laws. Working with springs is my only option. I'm thinking the a seesawing sear catch that also acts as a switch to kill the cocking motor. I have a diagram in my head, might be a another tinkering project for me.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:45 AM
Max-U52

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
Selling Prairie Dogs as pets! Now I'm laughing. What an odd thread this has become.
My local pet shop gets $120 each for babies. In Japan they bring over $400 apiece.

You're right, we did get way off topic. Sorry about that, M60.

Back to the subject at hand. I think the brand of paintball is going to make a huge difference. If you're going to experiment I'd try to get them from at least three or four different sources for comparison. I didn't have much luck with the xtreme spots, but I haven't tried the flying colors yet. As you can see, they're fairly cheap. 100 of the xtreme spots is usually 4 bucks w/free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6mm-Paintbal...item43d9851315
Old 04-16-2015, 04:24 PM
M60A1Medium

What electrical components do I need to make my tank IR?
Old 04-16-2015, 06:51 PM
Martellus

you would need a control board to recieve and send the proper signals

an emitter which would need to be placed correctly, a flash unit to be fair if battling in a club

an "apple" (the towers with the reciever and leds to confirm a hit usually coming out of the commanders hatch in IR battle pics)

an apple mount
Old 04-17-2015, 09:45 AM
olegnA

I wonder it they are still around?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Ymzr6fXcQ
Old 04-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
We had a Colorado Dept. of Wildlife officer come out and survey the Prairie Dogs, he counted over 900 holes in a 5 acre field. At 5 per hole that's 4500 Prairie Dogs! They were so overpopulated he recommended we kill most of them to reduce the chance of plague. They eat grass, gold to us ranchers, and were killing the native grasses off. We had an invasive weed problem due to them. We tried shooting them with rifles but the Marshall reminded us that we were in town limits so we could not shoot guns. Now we hire a guy who blows them up each summer to keep the population in healthy check. We don't have rattle snakes here, it's too cold in the winter (40 below zero) but the rodents do just fine. I don't hate Prairie Dogs, but being fined for invasive weeds by the state while the good native grass disappears is a problem. We are just doing what the Marshall and the DOW told us to do about the situation. I have made some scale tank roads out there and they dig up my roads too.
I would say get a dog, but even as fast as my German Shepherd is I dont think he could catch that many lol. He could catch quite a few though, we had to build a fence as he was sneaking up and catching the stray animals around my house! I do like explosions though haha, that would definitely make my day.
Originally Posted by M60A1Medium
So both me and my father want to convert our airsoft to IR what electronics would we need to buy , and Eric are there any tank clubs here in Florida ?
You would need an IR firing unit, IR receiver, and a LED flasher. The IR firing unit from us also includes barrel recoil and elevation so its a nice bonus there. The LED flasher also has the IR emitter on it needed to send IR signals. As for tank clubs, I am not aware of any Here soon I hope to turn our back parking lot into a tank battlefield but I still have a little bit of convincing to do first
Old 04-20-2015, 11:44 PM
atcttge

Hi,

Many many many years ago, I once daydreamed/fantasized of building a RC Strv-103C around a real, working M2 .50-cal MG that would serve as a scale version of the 105mm gun.

'Twas only a daydream, promise....