Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need help/advise - modifying HL Leopard 2A6 1/16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need help/advise - modifying HL Leopard 2A6 1/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:56 PM
atcttge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help/advise - modifying HL Leopard 2A6 1/16

Hi all, I am new here.

I recently got a HL Leo2A6 1/16. I recently killed the 110v charger by plugging it to a 220v. :P Anyhow, there's some things I want to do to my Leo2A6 so it can look like the real thing.

1) First, extending range. I only have the stock 7.2v 1700mAH battery. Will getting a 7.2v 6800mAH battery extend play time? Also, do I need to do some modifications on the electronics to accommodate the larger battery?

2) I want a full 360-degree turret turn. How do I modify the turret so it can turn 360 degrees? Also, turret turn seems to be slow. How do I speed it up?

3) I got the metal transmission, metal tracks, metal idlers, and metal sprockets, and installed these already. However, the tank seems to be slow. Any ideas to speed it up so it is more like the real thing (scale-wise)?

4) Is there an airsoft gun recoil system already? I would like to retain the airsoft BB capability because I have no one to play IR battles with. I read before that you can modify the gun to recoil instead of the whole tank recoiling (the latter being unreal), but will have to sacrifice the BB component.

5) How do I make the gun recoil? How do I turn off the whole-tank-recoils feature?

6) What other modifications should I put? I've read of the TK20 Clark board but I still don't understand much about it. I also want to install a bigger speaker to make it sound better, but how much of a penalty is this in terms of weight?

7) I would like to install metal wheels as well. Do I need tougher springs for the suspension?

8) I would like to waterproof my tank against mud, water, and rain. How do I do that?

I've got several other questions but cannot remember those right now. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:59 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by atcttge
1) First, extending range. I only have the stock 7.2v 1700mAH battery. Will getting a 7.2v 6800mAH battery extend play time? Also, do I need to do some modifications on the electronics to accommodate the larger battery?
Yes...longer run time...recommend staying with the NiMH or NiCads. No modifications necessary for the larger batteries. Just keep an eye on the temperatures in the tank. If everything gets too hot, it could fry the electronics or shorten your battery's lifespan.

2) I want a full 360-degree turret turn. How do I modify the turret so it can turn 360 degrees? Also, turret turn seems to be slow. How do I speed it up?
Max-U52 did a video for the 360 turret; do a search for it (don't have the link handy). Basically, you'll need to put a slip ring into the middle of the wiring going into the turret. No way to speed the turret rotation speed without buying a new control system (transmitter, receiver, control board, etc).

3) I got the metal transmission, metal tracks, metal idlers, and metal sprockets, and installed these already. However, the tank seems to be slow. Any ideas to speed it up so it is more like the real thing (scale-wise)?
I recommend 480 brushed motors with a 14-tooth pinion. But, that will require modifying the gearbox a bit to accommodate a wider pinion. Or, just add the 480 motors. Or, for a little less speed, go with Speed400s.

4) Is there an airsoft gun recoil system already? I would like to retain the airsoft BB capability because I have no one to play IR battles with. I read before that you can modify the gun to recoil instead of the whole tank recoiling (the latter being unreal), but will have to sacrifice the BB component.
There is no available recoil for the airsoft gun. Taigen is working on something. Everything else is an individual's solution. You can get the Komodo board from RCTA to keep the airsoft but eliminate the track recoil (tank jerk when firing). Or, unplug the 2-wire switch between the gun and the board. It will still fire, but you lose the track recoil and the "boom" when it fires.

5) How do I make the gun recoil? How do I turn off the whole-tank-recoils feature?
See last question...

6) What other modifications should I put? I've read of the TK20 Clark board but I still don't understand much about it. I also want to install a bigger speaker to make it sound better, but how much of a penalty is this in terms of weight?
Question is way too open-ended. I suggest focusing on what could be done to a Leopard 2A6 by looking at other builds. Do an internet search for RC Tank Forums and you'll find several with builds on them. Borrow and copy ideas. A lot of these depends on what you want to do, are willing to spend, and feel comfortable doing.

7) I would like to install metal wheels as well. Do I need tougher springs for the suspension?
Wheels shouldn't require a tougher suspension, but it wouldn't hurt. Generally, the need for stronger springs comes from added weight on the hull or an incorrect road wheel movement when driving.

8) I would like to waterproof my tank against mud, water, and rain. How do I do that?
Search the forums and check the RC Car forums for ideas. It takes a lot of work and will trap heat in the tank. Keep that in mind when trying to waterproof. Minor puddles and wet pavement shouldn't be an issue as it is. Nor should wet dirt. Deep puddles and watery mud will be a concern if you don't waterproof it.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:24 PM
atcttge

Thanks philipat! I didn't realize it can get hot in the tank. How do people know if it's too hot?
Old 04-22-2015, 05:56 PM
philipat

Thanks philipat! I didn't realize it can get hot in the tank. How do people know if it's too hot?
Touch it.

Seriously, though, if you're going to run it for a 30 min or more, just be aware of the weather and temperatures. Check on it every so often. You'll get a feel for when it's hot enough outside to consider running it for less time and when you're okay to run it longer. Some folks, me included, have put small fans on the mainboards. Taigen's electronics come with the fan. So, a look at their website could show you the idea.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:15 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi atcttge
Welcome to the forum. Re the speeding up of the turret traverse, it's been suggested that the motor from the airsoft gun unit is faster that the traverse unit, and a straight swap results in a faster traverse. Haven't tried it myself yet, but it's on my list.

Mal
Old 04-23-2015, 12:50 AM
mondo

Waterproofing is hard. The easiest way to protect against water is to build an internal box for the electronics to sit in and make that water tight up to the cooling fan. Making the whole hull water tight is not the ideal way to do it.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:14 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Re waterproofing - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...ur-tank-2.html - a couple of different methods

Mal
Old 05-06-2015, 06:26 PM
atcttge

Thanks guys! I'll go through the link you gave me when I have more time. I recently have been enjoying the Leo2A6. Brought it to the beach but it isn't waterproof. Still, it was nice making it roll over the sand hehehehe

Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgeous picture, will you upload the video captured from the on-board camera?
Old 05-07-2015, 11:27 AM
atcttge

Originally Posted by Captain Nemo12
Gorgeous picture, will you upload the video captured from the on-board camera?
Video just uploaded! https://youtu.be/zKQKNTEvqFo And another on patrol hehehe https://youtu.be/vCqyD-I3phs
Old 05-07-2015, 01:08 PM
YHR

Where in the world was that video taken?
Old 05-07-2015, 02:17 PM
atcttge

At a beach resort in Bataan, Philippines.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:07 PM
atcttge

Hi guys. Re: improving HL Leo2 turret traverse speed, any idea about the specs of the stock motor used? I was thinking of replacing it with a Tamiya Atomic Tuned mini-4WD motor after reading up on other forums (in one of those posts, it was suggested to replace the HL turret traverse motor with a 3v 13,100 rpm motor). The Tamiya Atomic Tuned mini-4WD motor is rated 3v 13,700 rpm (loaded) and 15,700 (without load). I have no idea what those mean. I got those numbers from http://mini4wd.pokedream.com/info/motors/

Would that be a straight swap? Would I need to do some electrical wiz thingy?

Also, I've been looking into slip rings at eBay and have no idea what to use. There's an online store in Oz that sells a 360-degree turret traverse kit that has the 360-degree ring and slipring but it's kinda costly to have it shipped here in the Philippines. I was thinking of just cutting additional teeth in the stock turret ring gear and getting a slipring instead but I have really no idea how to use or install one. I've been looking at the interwebz for more info but I'm coming out dry (or mebbe my Googe-fu is just so piss poor weak).

Thanks for your patience, guys.

I'd also like to add that playing with an RC tank has been not only fun for me, but fun for a lot of people who've seen it. Surprisingly, mum and dad find it amusing. And last Saturday at the bike trail, I lent my tank to some kids (I hesitate to say "poor" but that's what they are, financially poor kids from poor families) who had lots of fun playing with my Leopard 2. So much so that they begged me to return on Sunday, but alas, I couldn't commit because I was engaged with family stuff (it being Mum's Day and all that). Looking to buy some cheap-but-will-last RC 4x4s for those kids one day.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:49 AM
griff450

Got a turret question, I have a tk22 board installed and everything was running perfect, I put a new motor in the turret to get a faster turn and like someone else I read on another forum the motor started smoking and then stopped working, well I went back to my original motor and now it wont turn left only right, is my board fried or has anyone else encounter this problem while trying to modify the turret motor, hoping its not the board.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:28 AM
YHR

Letting the smoke out is never a good. The new motor may not have been able to handle the voltage the TK22 puts out, and this smoked the motor or the poles somehow shorted out.. Once it shorted, this would have caused and excessive amp load on the TK22 power transistor and that might have fired it, and that is why it is failing to power your original motor
Old 09-02-2015, 11:40 AM
griff450

Thats what I was afraid of, everything else still works fine, just the left turn is fried, does anyone offer repairs for the tk22 boards, seems like it would be a quick fix since its just one function not working.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:31 PM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Send it straight back to Clark. You pay the postage to get it to him and he will fix for around $15.00 I think and then post back to you at his cost. You CANNOT beat that deal! However, be prepared to wait at least a month after he receives...
Old 09-02-2015, 12:35 PM
griff450

Sounds like a great deal, I'll contact him and get it started, guess I can run my stock board until I get it back, Thanks for the help.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:08 PM
YHR

Yes I understand Clark has been very good about repairs, and when I had issues he always volunteered to fix them.