Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Before I order, have a couple questions. (VS Tanks)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Before I order, have a couple questions. (VS Tanks)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Remote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I order, have a couple questions. (VS Tanks)

Really not much of a tank guy. Never really thought about getting a tank till my daughter showed some interest in RC tanks. (Not sure why tanks.) Anyway, I thought about getting the 1/72 VS Tank set for us to play around with. (She is 7.) I've read in a few threads that the ones from a few years back had issues. Have the tanks improved in quality in the last couple years? Thought I'd ask you guys before placing a order for them.
Thanks....

Old 05-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I have 2 of them when they first came out (when sets were not available yet) and you DO get what you pay for so don't expect too much. They are a little sluggish in response, and limited in the "IR" battle area.

When a 'hit' is scored on the tank they "wiggle" back and forth, kind of comical but they do work and I don't believe there is a support system for them in the way of replacement parts. And the scale isn't quite 1/72 but close enough so model kit parts to detail them may not be accurate.

Like I said, they do and act the part so don't expect much. Also, if I were you I would check and see if there are any videos posted of them (like on YouTube) operating to get a better grasp of what to expect.

HTH... if you have any other questions I'll try to answer them if I can.

Jeff
Old 05-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Remote

Thanks for the reply Jeff. What do you think of the 1/24 scale VS Tanks? Not sure if I really want to spend $380.00+ for a pair of the 1/24 tanks. Its one of those things that I don't want to spend a lot incase my daughter and I do not like them, but then again, I don't want to buy something that is really poor quality. Is there a different tank I should look into?
Old 05-07-2015, 05:04 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Jeff pointed out the 1/72 do work but on a limited scale. if you just want to mess around on the kitchen floor with some mac and cheese boxes on floor as "buildings" they'll be fine.
The 1/24 is more $$ as you've noted, but the detiail on the tanks is much better and their are parts available so you can fix things if anything goes south. Also the bigger scale means more
options on running area. Can run them on shorter grass and they can handle some dirt or a gravel driveway. Here are some vids of both the 1/72 and 1/24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M-Z5-dzEOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX2EZL3GmU8
Old 05-07-2015, 07:49 PM
kizwan

1/24 internal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFENEZ78crA
Old 05-08-2015, 05:04 AM
Shorty54

I have 3 of the VS Pro Tanks 1/24. I got them for the family at X-mas, my daughter was 9. So far no issues, other than some of the fine detail plastic parts broke off. A little CA and they are fixed. I think they have great detail. I have the KT, M1Abrams, and Sherman. They take alot of batteries, 14AA per tank and remote. I bought a ton of the Eneloops and 2 chargers that charge 16 at a time. The new controllers/remote/tx work pretty good. They are kind of proportional for driving speed, super spin happens alot. The turrets turn fairly slow. The sound is exaclty the same on all 3 tanks. They have main gun recoil, lights, machine gun sound, damage lights in the hull when your hit, even the machine gun can cause a hit. The IR is ok, the Sherman is the hardest to hit. The IR Apple is kind of hiiden so the only way to really take it out is from behind. Its challenging but fun, the Sherman is my daughters so it gives her a little advantage over mom and dad. I put plastic tracks on the M1Abrams, it comes with rubber, it seemed to be a little stressed on the carpet floors, hard surfaces no problems. I ordered some spare motors, gears, and tracks right away when I ordered the tanks, other than switching the tacks on the M1, Ive needed nothing. They seem to last a good hour on the batteries, AA Eneloop Ni-MH 1900mah. Overall we like them. They are great for indoors and smaller rooms, they are lite weight, easy to drive, and I think they look great. Parts are availiable mostly overseas, as far as I can tell. I got my extra parts in about 9 days. I think if you order from some of these companies and dont like them as long as there not broke or worn you can send them back in 10-30 days?? At the same time I ordered the VS tanks, I ordered 3 Taigen 1/16 Tanks, No comparison and the hop ups are endless. Good luck
Old 05-08-2015, 06:54 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

As per your original question on 1/72, they will work on just about ANY table top as they don't scream around that fast... almost like a real tank would. Slowly and take up less space than others.

So for a 7 year old and being a cost effective start I would stay with the 1/72 tanks.

Jeff
Old 05-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Remote

Thanks for all the replies. Had a question, but it was answered a couple posts up.

Last edited by Remote; 05-09-2015 at 04:33 PM.