Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Puma has arrived!! 1st unboxing pics

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Puma has arrived!! 1st unboxing pics

Old 10-18-2015, 08:22 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carson L
Hi Bret,

How's the PUMA status now?
any running videos out??
Hey Carson,
Just the original lower hull trials. I'm working on modeling the upper hull and once I make some decent progress will post some pics and vid.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

yes pics for sure been waiting to see it done
Old 10-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Sebbe335

Hello!

After a lot of work I got a running lower hull. But I have problem. My rear left wheel goes up and down when I driving. Any ide´ why?
With the 45T motor the top speed is okey, probely the same speed as my Tamiya king tiger..

//Sebbe
Old 10-29-2015, 10:49 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Sounds like something is binding up...
Old 10-30-2015, 03:59 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Sebbe335
Hello!

After a lot of work I got a running lower hull. But I have problem. My rear left wheel goes up and down when I driving. Any ide´ why?
With the 45T motor the top speed is okey, probely the same speed as my Tamiya king tiger..

//Sebbe
Check the axle and axle cups. I've found that some are binding and need to be filed down so the dog bone and travel freely.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:05 PM
Sebbe335

Ahh, finaly got a running puma that runs good! I used the new dogbones and that worked better. I made new fasterners for the servo so it dosnt flex. I got a problem that I got more steering to one way than the other, I saw the rod that goes between the motor stopped at the gearbox so I had to grin a bit on the gearbox and adjust the link, So steering angle is okey for right and left now.
The gears are beginning to run in now, some "dirt" is seen when I touch them, will run it some more and then disamble it again, clean it and then apply grease.

Its a very fun model to drive and it feels realistic with the gearing function on the elmod board.
The model would be better if the gears was diffed to make better full steering turns.

Well, time to start build the upper parts now! I wonder when the rotating turret option parts will come??

I saw on metal origins facebook that they coming with a new model, I think It may be the Horch?

I also wonder how I connect and solder to get the volume knob function to my transmitter?

//Sebbe
Old 11-18-2015, 04:10 AM
TheBennyB

Yes I believe it is for the horch.
Traverse/recoil units won't be for a while I've heard, they are focusing on getting inventory for the holidays.
Go into your sound parameters to chose to have your sound on the TX, then I'm guessing you go to the receiver parameters section and assign it to the proper channel. I've never done this just guessing.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Sebbe335

Hello!

Still working with the steering, got some small problems, the biggest is that it got a lot of slope so the Wheels dont center good... Also tried to move the servoarm to the rear steering, felt like that maked the slope worse..

Did plug my elmod into the computer, WOW, thats a lot of settings you could do, love it! Also got the volume to be adjusted from my transmitter. Would love to have a Elmod to my Tamiya KT, lots better when adjustments is possible.

Also started to build the upper part, almost straight on. Going to mod some details so it look more scale. Wonder if the germans painted the fire exhauste red or if they let the camo cover it??? Seems to be diffrent versions of this, so what is right!?
The Jerry cans are really nice!

Also going to try fit a smoke system, Think i may fit one in the front!

Did a video, hope it works, hard to film and drive! Didnt have full volume on speakers, it sounds to much so i got noise complaints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86w2kZQfS0s

//Sebbe
Old 11-30-2015, 10:41 AM
TheBennyB

Thanks for the vid! Looking good. Yes, lots of slop in the linkages. Just too many variables and linkages even starting with the cambers having slight wobble on the posts even with the bearing.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:58 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bret, how are you making out? Let me know if you need anything.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:50 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by yellowshaker
Bret, how are you making out? Let me know if you need anything.
I sent you another PM Joe. Battle sounds were there just hard to hear over the motor sound. Turned motor sound down to -25 and we'll see how it goes. Haven't been able to find anywhere you could turn up the volume on the battle sounds though.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:53 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebbe335
Hello!

Still working with the steering, got some small problems, the biggest is that it got a lot of slope so the Wheels dont center good... Also tried to move the servoarm to the rear steering, felt like that maked the slope worse..

Did plug my elmod into the computer, WOW, thats a lot of settings you could do, love it! Also got the volume to be adjusted from my transmitter. Would love to have a Elmod to my Tamiya KT, lots better when adjustments is possible.

Also started to build the upper part, almost straight on. Going to mod some details so it look more scale. Wonder if the germans painted the fire exhauste red or if they let the camo cover it??? Seems to be diffrent versions of this, so what is right!?
The Jerry cans are really nice!

Also going to try fit a smoke system, Think i may fit one in the front!

Did a video, hope it works, hard to film and drive! Didnt have full volume on speakers, it sounds to much so i got noise complaints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86w2kZQfS0s

//Sebbe

Oh gawd... luv this video!

Maybe if I continue to sell my tank stuff to pay off my bills I can justify buying one. You guys are SO LUCKY.

Jeff
Old 12-02-2015, 07:12 PM
TheBennyB

Hey Sebbe, have you dry fit the upper yet? I ask because I don't think the mato speakers are going to fit, they are too high and the posts on the upper that
hold the 2 sections of upper together hit.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:02 PM
TheBennyB

Sebbe, just figured it out. I cut down the posts on both the front and rear sections of upper then used flanged screws to reassemble. Lots of added clearance now. Here's some pics of before and after of the posts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2419.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2133633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2420.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2133634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2421.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	2133636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2422.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	2133637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2423.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2133638  
Old 01-07-2016, 05:43 AM
TheBennyB

Just talked to Carson at DKLM R/C and unfortunately he informed me the recoil and traverse units won't be available till this summer...bummer.
I was holding off on finishing the build till I got those components so now I guess I'll have to move on and fabricate these on my own. Recoil isn't that
big a deal but coming up with a turret ring and a small enough rotation unit will be a bit of a chore. Thinking ring will be done via 3D printer and I'm planning on using
the Pz III 5cm cannon from rctank.de for the barrel since the stock barrel is solid. Will keep you posted.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:07 AM
ausf

The Tamiya M4 ring dropped right into the Trump T-34/76 turret which is pretty small, if you don't have a Sherman on hand I can measure the diameter for you.

It was a stupidly easy conversion, using the rollers, rotation unit, everything fell into place.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:53 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by ausf
The Tamiya M4 ring dropped right into the Trump T-34/76 turret which is pretty small, if you don't have a Sherman on hand I can measure the diameter for you.

It was a stupidly easy conversion, using the rollers, rotation unit, everything fell into place.
Thanks Jeff, unfortunately the Puma turret is pretty small. I've got a sherman ring I'll check though, but believe I'm going to need something about 2/3 that size. May look into the 38T converson kit or take some measurements and see if Warren (Wozwasnt) could come up with something.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:18 AM
ausf

The 38t and the 76 are pretty close.

The 35scale conversion kit for the 38(t) uses a modified servo and a laser cut steel gear sandwiched between two plates. If you need any measurements of their system, let me know. It's a slick design, with elevation and recoil both by servo in a small space. I wonder if their sound is recordable via USB. I never built it and it's fallen off the charts in terms of when I would get to it, too many things in front of it on the bench. The gearboxes are earmarked for a B9 Robot, the motors found their way into a 1/72 RC sub...
Old 01-07-2016, 12:18 PM
TheBennyB

The 38t and the 76 are pretty close.

The 35scale conversion kit for the 38(t) uses a modified servo and a laser cut steel gear sandwiched between two plates. If you need any measurements of their system, let me know. It's a slick design, with elevation and recoil both by servo in a small space. I wonder if their sound is recordable via USB. I never built it and it's fallen off the charts in terms of when I would get to it, too many things in front of it on the bench. The gearboxes are earmarked for a B9 Robot, the motors found their way into a 1/72 RC sub...
Well you were on the right track Jeff. The Sherman ring had a workable OD but the way the tammy units work with teeth on the inside of the lip and the height of the lip is just too much. Also no room to mount the tammy traverse gearbox. Next will be to try a HL ring gear and possibly use a 360 servo mounted on its side with gear servo horn.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:41 PM
rshermanking

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hi guys just to show how far i got with mine , still some more work to do but nearly there .

Name:	20160107_222403.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	724.9 KB
ID:	2140203  
Old 01-07-2016, 02:50 PM
ausf

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Well you were on the right track Jeff. The Sherman ring had a workable OD but the way the tammy units work with teeth on the inside of the lip and the height of the lip is just too much. Also no room to mount the tammy traverse gearbox. Next will be to try a HL ring gear and possibly use a 360 servo mounted on its side with gear servo horn.
Yeah, the '34 has some space to play with in the upper, I guess it gets tight fast in the Puma. I tried to find big ring gears in the past without much luck. I was toying with the idea of a servo with a friction setup, but that wuld still require some depth. The HL ring and motorbox is primitive, but slim, it may be you're best bet. I set one up in a wooden base to rotate as a display.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:16 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by rshermanking
hi guys just to show how far i got with mine , still some more work to do but nearly there .
Looks great! What are you using for electronics, motor, recoil, traverse? What kind of speeds are you getting?
Old 01-07-2016, 05:18 PM
TheBennyB

Yeah, the '34 has some space to play with in the upper, I guess it gets tight fast in the Puma. I tried to find big ring gears in the past without much luck. I was toying with the idea of a servo with a friction setup, but that wuld still require some depth. The HL ring and motorbox is primitive, but slim, it may be you're best bet. I set one up in a wooden base to rotate as a display.
Primitive for sure but simple and robust. Don't think I can fit a HL rotation unit so that's why I'm thinking a HL ring with a 360 micro servo and gear head.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:01 PM
rshermanking

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Looks great! What are you using for electronics, motor, recoil, traverse? What kind of speeds are you getting?
just 2 channel at the moment and with a 60 turn motor it goes at a nice walking pace
Old 01-27-2016, 08:12 PM
TheBennyB

Ok, after lots of tinkering, dry fitting, thinking at night, this is what I've come up with at the moment for traverse. I went through all kinds of setups including building my own traverse gearbox (couldn't get it to fit width wise), micro 360 servo with gear head mounted both vertical and horizontal (clearance issues with battery and had to make my own gearhead for the horizontal approach.) To start it's a Heng long turret ring cut down to it's basics including cutting down the height of the lip and the OD of the lip by 1-2mm. It will then sit in the groove for the turret mounting ring. Next all you need is a HL traverse unit for the gear and motor. The worm gear came off of ebay and is made by Stevens International. Still need to mount the motor properly but you get the idea. Really basic here guys as I didn't want to mess up any of the stock stand off's or turret mounting ring to install the manufacturer's traverse unit once it comes out, unless this performs well. Has a wicked quick turret speed...he he!!

Name:	IMG_2441.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	2143857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2443.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2143858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2440.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2143859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2442.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2143860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2444.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2143861  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.